Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to clucker
Default Minot, ND?

Hi, my family is moving to Minot, ND in October and I was just wondering if anyone around here lives there. I'd love to get the insider buzz on craft/scrapbooking stores in the area. I know there is a Michaels and a Hobby Lobby, so that's something!

Interested in my life outside of stamping (is there such a thing?)? ~ Check out my blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Mandi
How funny, we just moved from Minot to Germany! I loved it there. Anyways, there is a Hobby Lobby (opened right after I left in March :( ) but no Michael's. The only other craft supplies are at Target or Wal Mart. Bismarck has a scrapbooking store and that is only about 90 min south. We used to go to Minneapolis once or twice a year and I would stock up at Archivers. The Skills Center on base has a somewhat decent, if limited, supply of stamping/scrapbooking stuff.

Hope that helps! Where in Germany are you? I am at Ramstein...

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I'm coming out of lurking to answer your question. I grew up near Minot and lived there for a few years while I attended college and worked. I moved away from ND in 1987 and if the right opportunity came up I would move back in a hearbeat....keep in mind that most of my family live in ND so that is a major factor. I was just there in May to visit and I couldn't help thinking to myself how nice it is there. I'm not sure what your experiences with winter are, but ND winters can be brutal but it just makes spring more welcome than ever. One crafting store Laura didn't mention was JoAnn's. I know there was a JoAnn's at a small mall on Broadway St. but I'm not sure if it's still there and/or if they sell stamping/scrapping supplies. Good luck with your move! <heading back to my lurking corner now>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

I can't believe I forgot about Joann's! It's still there. They have a little bit of stamping/scrapping stuff. But honestly if I was still living there (and I hope to be in 4 years) Hobby Lobby would get most of my business!

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much for the replies! I was hoping for a nice, local scrapbooking store...oh well...I guess I'll have to continue shopping online!

Laura, we are stationed at Sembach, which is just 20 minutes from Ramstein. Small world. You'll LOVE it here; at least we have loved it and are sad to go.

Interested in my life outside of stamping (is there such a thing?)? ~ Check out my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #6  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

I couldn't help but come see this thread. I don't know about crafting stores but my dd was living there about 12 years ago & I flew in from Houston, TX the day after Christmas. It was 78 degrees with 100% humidity (rain) when I left. When I got to Minot the windchill was -44 degrees!!!! Talk about a shock to the 'ol system!! I always did want to go back during the spring because I figured anyplace that could handle that type of winter had to have a beautiful Spring! Good luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

anything negative with two digits after it is cold, but -44!!! Wow! I guess I'll get some cute winter clothes!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

You'll get used to it pretty quick! The first day it hits 32 degrees after the winter months, you'll open your windows and not wear a coat outside, it feels so warm. I've seen people with the tops down on their convertibles at 40 degrees, I'm not kidding! I sent my son out to the bus one year and the Weather channel said the wind chill was -69. But in 4 1/2 years that was the coldest by far that it ever got. The summers are pretty warm, and the short spring and fall seasons are nice. One more thing that Minot is getting this fall is a Barnes & nobles! I'm so jealous! You'll love it there!
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Hi clucker,

I understand your anxiety. I too was a military member that was stationed in The Netherlands for 5 years. I'm a realtor here in Minot and also a volunteer with the Boy Scouts, so I have a lot of information at my fingertips. If you have any questions about the city or base or housing, I can send you the web sites addresses and/or telephone numbers. It's not that bad really. I'm from Texas and I ended up staying here in Minot. You can reply by this post or you can email me directly at [email protected] . Once you get involved with the activities and neighbors, you too will like it here in Minot. ct

Last edited by cbrealtor; 07-11-2007 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes