Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COPIC's on Ellen Hutson.... HELP!

Ok, so I'm ready to take the COPIC plunge. And I think I've decided to go with one of the designer sets on Ellen Hutson because I appreciate that they contain more colors and less greys, even though you pay a little more in the long run.

Here's my dilemma though... Which set do I get? I know this is primarily an issue of personal preference, but the stumbling block for me is that some of the sets don't seem to have colors that would easily blend with each other, and isn't that the whole point?

For those who have bought one of the designer sets, did you find yourself having to supplement with a number of individual marker purchases to get what you needed for decent coloring?

Help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Subscribing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

How do I subscribe to this thead ? Is posting on it enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhreeView Post
How do I subscribe to this thead ? Is posting on it enough?
Yes, posting is enough. You can also subscribe to any thread (without even posting on it) by clicking on "Thread tools" and choosing "subscribe" from the drop down box.

Nothing to do with Copics, sorry to the OP for the hijack
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the set that has the ones to *go with* SU.

Then I started buying singles around thoase colors for blending and highlighting.

It gave me basic colors to start with and several blend with each other.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are going to buy in "sets" there really is no way to avoid the issue...but I wouldn't worry too much about the shading aspect until you have a few of the Copics and get the feel of them. You can do shading anyway, to some degree, just by going over part of the image with the same color as it will darken more as you layer your color, clear as mud?
I really think your best bet would be to just order the set you like best for now and go from there. I actually bought my first ones as a "lot" off of Ebay that contained approximately 72 colors. I have since bought a few singles and 2 more of the 12 packs...if I get a duplicate color, I just sell them.
Copics are wonderful and in my opinion the best thing since sliced bread, but because they are expensive, buying them can be quite overwhelming...don't rush it~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I think I will eventually try a set of Copics. I have Trias and I have Prismacolors, and I really like the Prismacolors the best. The trias are nice, but I find it difficult to get the cap off the double tipped end. Is it the same with the Copics? I don't have to mess with that on the Prismacolors and I don't have any blending issues with the Prismacolors so I use them on most of my projects and only fill in with the Trias if I need a color from that set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
If you are going to buy in "sets" there really is no way to avoid the issue...but I wouldn't worry too much about the shading aspect until you have a few of the Copics and get the feel of them. You can do shading anyway, to some degree, just by going over part of the image with the same color as it will darken more as you layer your color, clear as mud?
I really think your best bet would be to just order the set you like best for now and go from there. I actually bought my first ones as a "lot" off of Ebay that contained approximately 72 colors. I have since bought a few singles and 2 more of the 12 packs...if I get a duplicate color, I just sell them.
Copics are wonderful and in my opinion the best thing since sliced bread, but because they are expensive, buying them can be quite overwhelming...don't rush it~
Did you get a good deal on ebay? I'm not opposed to buying there either, but when I looked the other day I didn't see anything that I'd really call a "deal" so I figure I might as well get them from a retailer.

As for rushing it... LOL... it's what I do. ;) I considered Gina K's marker club, but I really don't have the patience to wait six months before I have the entire set. I could see doing that for a second set to supplement my supply (once I get a supply that is) but I am definitely an instant gratification kind of girl!

Thanks for the info... if anyone else has any suggestions/thoughts/ideas, please feel free to share them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
I think I will eventually try a set of Copics. I have Trias and I have Prismacolors, and I really like the Prismacolors the best. The trias are nice, but I find it difficult to get the cap off the double tipped end. Is it the same with the Copics? I don't have to mess with that on the Prismacolors and I don't have any blending issues with the Prismacolors so I use them on most of my projects and only fill in with the Trias if I need a color from that set.
I bought two Copic sketch markers on sale at Hobby Lobby this weekend (flesh tones - I figured it was a start) and the caps come off easily. Probably easier than the SU markers, if that helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

carpediemstore usually has good prices, it is where I bought my Trias. I got my set of 72 Prismacolors on ebay for a great price. I think maybe I will look for a set of the Copics with the flesh tone marker to purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
carpediemstore usually has good prices, it is where I bought my Trias. I got my set of 72 Prismacolors on ebay for a great price. I think maybe I will look for a set of the Copics with the flesh tone marker to purchase.
Holy carp! That store has the best prices yet (well, of Oozak, Dick Blick, and Ellen Hutson). The 36 marker set is going for $139 now. To get 36 markers on EH it would be closer to $175. Dang. Just when I thought I had it all figured out... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch the colors you get in sets. Ellen has the best selection for coloring. She has put many hours of thought and testing into her groups. Others have tried to copy the "EH" groupings. Gina K has also put in time and testing. It just depends on how you want to start your collection. Sometimes the cheapest price ends up costing more by the time you finish your collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I figured it out. FINALLY.

No offense to any retailers who have put a lot of time and thought into their sets - I think that is a great resource for people who want a fast buy that works, but personally I'd rather put my own time and thought into it and pay less. That's just me. And believe me, there has been about 40 hours of thought going into this so I'm not exaggerating!

The bottom line is that Carpe Diem Store still has the best prices out there. If you buy the 36 pen set, it is $139.23, or $3.87 per pen. If you buy the 72 pen set, it is $278.46, which is still $3.87 per pen. So there is no real benefit to buying the bigger set over the smaller set. BUT, then you still have the dilemma of the set having a ton of grey's in it (for instance 13 of the 36 markers in that set are grey or black - who needs that?!) that I won't necessaily use. SO, I checked and the price for each individual pen is $3.95... You only save $0.08 per pen by buying the set, which really isn't much.

So I went through the entire color chart and picked out all of the colors I like and the colors that would blend well with them where appropriate (the Copic site recommends blending with markers in the same color family, with the same first number and a second number that is between 1 and 4 digits away from the first marker, if that makes sense) and came up with 53 pens, which comes to $209.35 before S/H.

If anyone wants to see the list of colors I chose, send me a pm and I can email it to you.

Thanks for all of the input!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Yes, posting is enough. You can also subscribe to any thread (without even posting on it) by clicking on "Thread tools" and choosing "subscribe" from the drop down box.

Nothing to do with Copics, sorry to the OP for the hijack
Thanks Kay for the instructions about subscribing to a thread

And good greif, I wish we paid those prices here in the UK - we pay the same number - ie �139.99 for a 36 set, but our � is worth close to 2 dollars so we are paying double :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Default Yup...

I too am going to watch this thread--I thought I had it figured out....

Thanks for posting,
Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

This is also a great place to buy Copics. http://www.copicmarkers.com/storefro...=78416&c=67088 They let you put together your own sets and shipping is free on sets. They have great customer service. I have bought from them 2x and they usually throw in something free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Default Oh my...

Sarah you have pmail~I'd love to see your list that you created!

TIA,
Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by charkinsmomView Post
This is also a great place to buy Copics. http://www.copicmarkers.com/storefro...=78416&c=67088 They let you put together your own sets and shipping is free on sets. They have great customer service. I have bought from them 2x and they usually throw in something free.
It's still more than Carpe Diem Store though. Technically you can put your own sets together anywhere, just buy the colors you want and buy a case to go with them...

I have all the pm's ladies. I'm working on getting an understandable explanation out to you so you know my logic ;) but these little people keep demanding my attention. I'll get it to you during naptime today at the latest!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I seem to be getting a lot of response to this, so I posted all of my thoughts, reasoning, and color selection on my blog here:

http://scrampinmama.blogspot.com/200...-thoughts.html

It's a fairly long post, so I figured it would be easier than trying to pm or email it, etc.

I hope I can help someone avoid the hours of pain (ha!) and deliberation I spent on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

just to throw a wrench into things for you all...I've been on the Copic fence for a looooong time, and I still haven't taken the plunge. If you are contemplating the Ciao markes, My Favorite Things has had one of THE best prices out there...unless they've gone up, the last time I looked they were $115.00 a set. Mind you, that defeats Sarah's quest to pick your own colors, but if you think you'd wind up getting them all anyway - it's a great deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
just to throw a wrench into things for you all...I've been on the Copic fence for a looooong time, and I still haven't taken the plunge. If you are contemplating the Ciao markes, My Favorite Things has had one of THE best prices out there...unless they've gone up, the last time I looked they were $115.00 a set. Mind you, that defeats Sarah's quest to pick your own colors, but if you think you'd wind up getting them all anyway - it's a great deal!
LOL! No wrench for me, as I'm getting the sketch markers, but thanks for the tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SairabeeView Post
LOL! No wrench for me, as I'm getting the sketch markers, but thanks for the tip!!
As I typed my reply before, I had kind of thought that you were leaning toward the sketches...and it looks like MFT isn't carrying the Copics anymore either...too bad I couldn't have checked earlier...darn web filter at work...like I'd go shopping while I'm there :rolleyes: ;) Enjoy your new markers...I can't wait to get a set myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Where is the site for the pen of the month club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
Where is the site for the pen of the month club?
That is through Gina K. You can link to her store on the SCS main page (she is a "member company"), and then from there go to her blog. From what I have read, you have to watch for posts to see when the new club is starting.

I ordered my 50-some colors on Carpe Diem tonight! Woot! I can't wait to get them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That is through Gina K. You can link to her store on the SCS main page (she is a "member company"), and then from there go to her blog. From what I have read, you have to watch for posts to see when the new club is starting.

I ordered my 50-some colors on Carpe Diem tonight! Woot! I can't wait to get them!
I'm excited for you! Have fun playing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Question Copic question??

Can someone tell me what is all the hoopla with the Copic Sketch markers....what is the difference between those and SU markers and is it worth another investment in markers? Curious to know all about them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancyannpView Post
Can someone tell me what is all the hoopla with the Copic Sketch markers....what is the difference between those and SU markers and is it worth another investment in markers? Curious to know all about them!
Hi Nancy... Take a look at this thread. There is a ton of information there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkinsmom

Quote:

It's still more than Carpe Diem Store though. Technically you can put your own sets together anywhere, just buy the colors you want and buy a case to go with them...

I have all the pm's ladies. I'm working on getting an understandable explanation out to you so you know my logic ;) but these little people keep demanding my attention. I'll get it to you during naptime today at the latest!!

I don't know if the prices have changed. But I think I agree with both of you! It depends on how many markers you are getting into in one purchase...

Scenario 1, 36 markers:
A set of of copic sketch 36, a custom set, with free shipping and the wallet thrown in is $168 at copicmarkers.com

At carpe diem a purchase of 36 sketch markers is $142.20 plus 13.66 shipping. This gets to $155 plus...with no wallet....and this option is not available at this store, although the 24 wallet costs more than $10.

Carpe diem costs less, although no wallet.

Scenario 2, 12 markers:

12 sketch, custom set, with a wallet $58 from copicmarkers

12 individual, no wallet, $47.4 plus $13 shipping....$60 plus and no wallet from carpe diem.

In this lower marker scenario....copicmarkers is a better buy, barely, but you get the wallet thrown in.....

I'm sure there are multiple variaions....I for one would like a wallet, or two to hold what I already own plus additional markers somewhere between the two counts. I guess I'll decide which web site to use after I decide how many more markers I "need".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
In this lower marker scenario....copicmarkers is a better buy, barely, but you get the wallet thrown in.....

I'm sure there are multiple variaions....I for one would like a wallet, or two to hold what I already own plus additional markers somewhere between the two counts. I guess I'll decide which web site to use after I decide how many more markers I "need".
Yeah, I noticed that too, but I knew I would never use the wallet(s) so it wasn't a big draw for me. The merchant in me ;) thought about getting it and selling the wallet on ebay (thereby taking even more $ off the bottom line), but ultimately I ended up going the other way.

I have 55ish markers now and still want more - I love them! I think it's going to be yet another addiction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Default Slightly off topic--but Certainly all Copic

This is a little off the topic...but Marianne from the education department of Copics has just started a blog http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com
I have found it very informative--great topics on blending in color families and the use of grays in projects...if you are coloring with Copics this is something you will want to check out.
FLLC (Flourishes) gallery
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1flourishView Post
This is a little off the topic...but Marianne from the education department of Copics has just started a blog http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com
I have found it very informative--great topics on blending in color families and the use of grays in projects...if you are coloring with Copics this is something you will want to check out.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you sign up for Ellen's newsletter, she's having a 13% off sale on June 13th (certain hours of the day...). I'm just sayin........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just wanted to share my experience. I purchased my sets from Japan at http://www.japanesemarker.jp/product-list/1
They don't have a lot of accessories but everything is with free shipping worldwide.
The Sketch 72 sets are 289.00 w/ free shipping (averages to about $4.01 per marker). Cheapest that I've found. It took 5 days to get to California from Japan and the layers and layers of bubble wrap they use protects the plastic case very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to chime in about the Ciao's.....

They are cheaper, but I run them out of ink pretty quickly. I really prefer the sketch. Its such a pain to run out of ink in the middle of blending.

But I color A LOT. So maybe someone who only uses them occasionally would be fine.

Just one person's opinion ;)

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ok, so I'm ready to take the COPIC plunge. And I think I've decided to go with one of the designer sets on Ellen Hutson because I appreciate that they contain more colors and less greys, even though you pay a little more in the long run.

Here's my dilemma though... Which set do I get?

Help!!
ALL! Seriously, whichever you start with, you'll quickly want to add to and build your collection. They do have a bit of a learning curve, but once you master them, you'll be spoiled forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I met Marianne at CHA, got a lot of good tips just watching her demo, thanks for the link, I will go check it out.

PS Didn't mean to thread jack, sorry! I recommend thinking about what images you color most often and choosing colors to match those first
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MFT LadyView Post
ALL! Seriously, whichever you start with, you'll quickly want to add to and build your collection. They do have a bit of a learning curve, but once you master them, you'll be spoiled forever!
Umm, yeah. I ordered 53 to start with, and have easily added at least 10-15 more since then! Ack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

I am heading to Saratoga Springs NY on Thursday...does anyone know where I can buy these markers in that area???

Any place from Albany to Glen Falls would be great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

My copics have been well worth the expense. It is nice to have similar colors for shading, I didn't realize that until I started using them a lot. It's easy to add to a collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

can't say. bought them 12 at a time. LOVE my copics

Reply With Quote Likes