Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree630Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #401
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to grateful2bsaved

Okay, the "like" box appeared, but I swear it wasn't there earlier!

I feel so bad for my DD. She's 14, and loves to cook. I feel bad because I just hate to cook. When I do it turns out good, but it's just so much work and mess. She's an awesome cook, and that's without having a Mom that spends hours in the kitchen. My Grandma is a fantastic cook, but she lives in CA. My Mom lives here, but she makes me look like a gourmet cook. haha

My kids still tease me about my "peanut butter cake". Okay, okay, so I was trying to make peanut butter cookies ... it's the end result that counts, right? It tasted darn good!

Last edited by grateful2bsaved; 10-13-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Susanne527 and rositagustafson72 like this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #402
Stazon Splitcoast

Did you know that hard boiled eggs will explode like hand grenades and leave shells and egg ALL OVER the kitchen if you forget about them and all the water boils away? Can you guess how I know that? The fragments hurt like heck when they hit you too.
Susanne527 and Joan7356 like this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #403
Stazon Splitcoast

Good night and sweet dreams Susanne.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #404
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful2bsaved View Post
Good night and sweet dreams Susanne.
Awe..saw your note in my mailbox...snuck back in....My daughter could careless about cooking/baking plus she is a vegetarian!!! I used to watch my mom cook and just jumped right in! I clean as I cook so at the end--all we have to do is load the dishwasher (b'cuz I have a problem if there is YUK in the sink when I wake up!!!) Had to teach my DD to rinse down the salsa because NO ONE wants to see that in the sink at 6am!!! I wish she was interested--but no go! My youngest son Patrick has shown an interest in cooking--maybe I can teach him some family recipes?! I am 100% Lithuanian so I make Kugula (potato dish) that involves lots of potatoes, cheese cloth to squeeze the starch out of them...etc...I need to teach someone in my family this recipe or it will be a distant memory! There's bacon in it so K won't go near it!!! tsk tsk!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com

Last edited by Susanne527; 10-13-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #405
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Did you know that hard boiled eggs will explode like hand grenades and leave shells and egg ALL OVER the kitchen if you forget about them and all the water boils away? Can you guess how I know that? The fragments hurt like heck when they hit you too.
Haha NO!!! My rule of thumb (a tad off Martha's rule of thumb because I buy Extra large brown eggs)...I place the cold egg in cold water, make sure the water is covering the egg...set timer for 20 minutes...done! I tried this Martha's way "12 minutes" and the center was raw! blowin' raspberries at MS!!!

grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #406
Watercolor Wizard

<---needs Pam's email or we are gonna go at this all night long!!! PM me your email addy woman!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #407
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Location: down the road, around the corner, first house on the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne527 View Post
Okay..pssssssssst Vickie, Tracie and Lynne....no tellin' Linda and Pat (other swappy across the hall) about these cards ---Yes, I made the same card/cake for the both of them! Our 2 October gals!
These are adorable, Susanne! Mums the word across the hall!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #408
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Note: I always-ALWAYS buy the "Taste of Home" Best and Loved Cookies & Bars Magazine every Christmas! I love they have the photo of what it is supposed to look like and the ingredients are always easy to find...

Enjoy! This is the best butter cookie I have tasted! {Of course with a dash of good chocolate--how can it NOT be tasty!}
They look and sound delicious!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #409
Mad Swapper

I also love to cook! My mom is a horrible cook, God bless her, so I learned from my boyfriends (in high school and later college) who had single moms and knew how to cook! I did go through a vegetarian phase for 4 years, mostly due to my mom's poor ability to cook meat, but that only made me learn how to cook better! Once I met my husband, who has ulcerative colitis and couldn't eat vegetarian, I converted back to meat. He had surgery and so now we can eat vegetarian meals at least once a week, but I try to sneak them in twice a week! I have also been trying to incorporate veggies into my baked goods, with mixed results We also try to be humane and Eco-friendly, so buy local, free-range, hormone-free and organic products when we can. Thankfully, we live in an agricultural area, so that is relatively easy, especially in the summer! I love trying new recipes, so please share your favourites!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #410
Stazon Splitcoast

I do clean and wash the dishes as I cook, but there are still dirty dishes after everyone eats. And my DD absolutely refuses to let me serve the food in the pot or dish it's cooked in. Oh no, it has to be in nice serving bowls or plates. I say, "pfft! It's going to TASTE the same, why dirty another dish?" DD and DH have a thing about eating off paper plates, too. Unless it's a picnic, or party, they don't. DD spends so much time slicing her fruit and other snacks just so, and I have to say they always look so pretty and appetizing. When I make a sandwich I pretty much slap the meat between 2 slices of bread, maybe add a slice of cheese, and I'm done. I'm too lazy to cut tomatoes and get the lettuce out. DD makes works of art for sandwiches. Slices of avocado, tomato, etc. all arranged so pretty you hate to eat it.

Last edited by grateful2bsaved; 10-13-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #411
Stazon Splitcoast

Nicole, it sounds like my other DD could be related to you. She watched a movie called "Food Inc.", and after that was a vegetarian for several months. She was only 11 when she saw it. She has refused to eat at McDonald's ever since. (We rarely eat there, but it is a pain in the butt.) She is always on me about buying only organic food, but it is ridiculously expensive here. Just normal fruits and vegetables cost a small fortune, so prices for the organic stuff are crazy. I know, how can you put a price on your family's health, but not having a roof over their heads wouldn't be so great either.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #412
Kookie Creator

Susanne those cards/cakes are adorable!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #413
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Okay..pssssssssst Vickie, Tracie and Lynne....no tellin' Linda and Pat (other swappy across the hall) about these cards ---Yes, I made the same card/cake for the both of them! Our 2 October gals!
CUTE! Hey Susanne...my bday is coming up Nov 3rd....Just saying!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #414
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpinlight41 View Post
I'm in a stamp club too for SU and always spend over the $25! I just made my list tonight and it was close to double that! My demonstrator does the same thing...every month we make cards or a project and then we rotate every month with who gets to be the hostess. Next month is my month...November will be hit or miss I'm sure. Last club I got almost $150 in free stuff!!!
We always get $20 worth of merchandise and then a hostess set. It's not really a lot but every bit helps. We had club last week and with shipping and handling, mine came to $58. My demo told me once that one other lady and I take this the most seriously. Sometimes she has bags of stuff sitting there from the month before. I am astounded by this! LOL I always know approximately when our stuff will arrive and call her up and ask if it is in. It is important to me!
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #415
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Great card! Nicely done!
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #416
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Nicole, it sounds like my other DD could be related to you. She watched a movie called "Food Inc.", and after that was a vegetarian for several months. She was only 11 when she saw it. She has refused to eat at McDonald's ever since. (We rarely eat there, but it is a pain in the butt.) She is always on me about buying only organic food, but it is ridiculously expensive here. Just normal fruits and vegetables cost a small fortune, so prices for the organic stuff are crazy. I know, how can you put a price on your family's health, but not having a roof over their heads wouldn't be so great either.
Good for your daughter! It's nice to see that kids do care . We watched that movie too and some other documentaries that convinced us to change our eating and shopping habits. We're lucky we live in an area where buying healthy non-GMO, organic, etc. is accessible and affordable.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #417
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Quote:

Imagine, Pam... how Rosie and I laughed this AM on Skype reading this.....

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #418
Swap Moderator

Helloooooo Ladies.....
I love a chatty group!

UGH! The Vikings are sad. DH turned the station, too. I am so glad we gave up our season tickets. We kept them for so many years hoping for the BIG win. Ha!

Pam... have you tried baking a potato in t he microwave without pricking it first? Go for it and let us know what happens.

Susanne... ummm.... I didn't see a response to my question about your cookies. Are you ignoring me?
I love to bake and I love to cook. Now, I am very limited as I need to do the majority of it when someone is home so I don't fall with a hot pot of boiling water or taking hot things out of the oven. Reading about your cookies makes we miss MUCHO the holiday cookie swap I hosted for years. I had thought of doing a virtual one via a swap.

Lynne... so is the next closest Archiver's to you after the one in Coon Rapids closes Maple Grove? If so, we can meet up there maybe sometime.

Where can I find the movie Food, Inc.?

Hostesses/Demos... I know of a few that also have online groups across the country that work in the same manner. You may be able to get something like that going with peeps that don't have a dedicated demo.

And to our friends to the North... how was your Thanksgiving celebrations this past weekend?

Holiday question for the day:
What kind of a wrapper are you? Bags and tissue? Do your recycle? Wrapping paper and decorations? Or, here's the shopping bag with receipt and call it good?

muzbysmom likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #419
Die Cut Diva

i LOVE to wrap gifts. I prefer wrapping paper but in a pinch I will use a bag. Although I will not buy a bag, I only re-use the ones we receive. That seems to be the way most people wrap now a days. Back in the day, I had looked into starting a gift wrapping shop. I never pursued it but sure thought about it a lot. I do not recycle wrapping paper though just bags and tissue paper!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #420
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan7356 View Post

Helloooooo Ladies.....
I love a chatty group!

UGH! The Vikings are sad. DH turned the station, too. I am so glad we gave up our season tickets. We kept them for so many years hoping for the BIG win. Ha!

Pam... have you tried baking a potato in t he microwave without pricking it first? Go for it and let us know what happens.

Susanne... ummm.... I didn't see a response to my question about your cookies. Are you ignoring me?
I love to bake and I love to cook. Now, I am very limited as I need to do the majority of it when someone is home so I don't fall with a hot pot of boiling water or taking hot things out of the oven. Reading about your cookies makes we miss MUCHO the holiday cookie swap I hosted for years. I had thought of doing a virtual one via a swap.

Lynne... so is the next closest Archiver's to you after the one in Coon Rapids closes Maple Grove? If so, we can meet up there maybe sometime.

Where can I find the movie Food, Inc.?

Hostesses/Demos... I know of a few that also have online groups across the country that work in the same manner. You may be able to get something like that going with peeps that don't have a dedicated demo.

And to our friends to the North... how was your Thanksgiving celebrations this past weekend?

What kind of a wrapper are you? Bags and tissue? Do your recycle? Wrapping paper and decorations? Or, here's the shopping bag with receipt and call it good?
I think it's a toss up for me between the Maple Grove and Rosedale Archivers. Since I'm not a freeway driver (panic attacks!) Roseville works better for me since it may take longer but I can get there without getting on to a freeway. It's hard to cross the river without going on to 694 or 610 which requires merging. Guess I could head north to Anoka (169) or south to NE Mpls (Broadway or Lowry bridges) BUT that's really going out of my way!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #421
Mad Swapper

A could of years ago, I started wrapping gifts using brown paper bags that I saved from stores. I am a recycler, so not only is this method Eco-friendly, but also saves me money! I decorate the packages with fabric ribbon, that I also save and reuse every year. I have even re-used the same tags that I made for two years now! The first year I did this, my family teased me, but now they know and automatically hand me the ribbon and tag as they open their gifts!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #422
Watercolor Wizard

I'm probably the worlds worse wrapper! Give me a gift bag any day! I did see a tutorial in how to make "boxes" with the envelope punch board so I will use that for some of the gifts I got for my gal. First I need to get some Christmss paper!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #423
Mad Swapper

New goodies every year. I do use my punches to punch out tags, so I try to be more considerate to Earth.

I always have a special waiting just for YOU!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #424
Watercolor Wizard

Sassy Joan wants cookies from Elf Susanna-danna? Sure! Will they be fresh when they get there? Maybe I will bake/freeze them, wrap them up in plastic...ya think? Then I have to lie to the PO lady and tell her nothing "perishable" is inside my Elf box! : )

Anyone mail fresh baked goods across the country? Any tips on this?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #425
Watercolor Wizard

<--serious wrapper--not one bump or misfold--My family teases me that the CIA and FBI would not be able to get into my perfectly taped gift packages--Police dogs could not get a hint of scent because I tape all the slightest openings!!!

My calling in life should have been a Macy's Dept Store wrapper!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #426
Watercolor Wizard

OH...sorry earth...my paper has to be pretty!!!!! But we recycle!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #427
Stazon Splitcoast

Gift bags, and tissue if they're lucky. LOL I usually talk DH into wrapping the kids' Christmas presents. Yes, he's a wonderful man. Also, DD likes to wrap presents. Thank goodness!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #428
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm in a stamp club too for SU and always spend over the $25! I just made my list tonight and it was close to double that! My demonstrator does the same thing...every month we make cards or a project and then we rotate every month with who gets to be the hostess. Next month is my month...November will be hit or miss I'm sure. Last club I got almost $150 in free stuff!!!
I too am in a stamp club, my month is Oct. so I know I will spend over my limit to get free things.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #429
Inking Addict

What kind of wrapper am I? Hmmm...more equal opportunity between boxes and bags with tissue paper, lots and lots of tissue paper. And, true confession -- sometimes I take scrapbook paper and run it through the shredder to make bag and box filler that will coordinate with the wrapping paper or bag.

I worked at a small town drug store/florist when I was in high school and was the designated wrapper. The florist taught me how to wrap the way the big city stores did it.

Today's dilemma -- cook dinner and stop crafting -- or takeout and continue crafting.....decisions....decisions....!!!

"Listen to what you know, instead of what you fear." R.Bach
Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #430
Kookie Creator

I like to wrap my presents each year. I also like to make at least 1 present difficult lol A few years ago I wrapped my sons present then used mailing tape and covered every inch of it. I then wrapped it a second time & did the same with the tape again. It was something he really really wanted & he had to work to get to it lol
Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #431
Matboard Maniac

Happy Monday! I spent the day doing some shopping and having lunch at a gorgeous Asian fusion restaurant! Speaking of wrapping, here is a sneak peak of some of my little secret sis's gifts wrapped up!! Hopefully the pic attaches! I'm excited to do some online shopping tonight for her too! Have a great night, ladies.

[ATTACH]secret elf gifts[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
jenjoy71 and Joan7356 like this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #432
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all!
I do like to wrap presents, but I have lots of gift bags and reuse them from year to year. I have the SU tag punch and tie them on.

A miserable rainy day here in MN. Plus I have a headache. I was going to go to my Monday night Bible study - the first one this fall, but decided to come home. Going to eat my supper and lay down for awhile.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #433
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Happy Monday! I spent the day doing some shopping and having lunch at a gorgeous Asian fusion restaurant! Speaking of wrapping, here is a sneak peak of some of my little secret sis's gifts wrapped up!! Hopefully the pic attaches! I'm excited to do some online shopping tonight for her too! Have a great night, ladies.

Very cute!
stpinlight41 likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #434
Stazon Splitcoast

I like to wrap gifts too! Although I usually don't have any gifts to wrap. So if its just one or two then I just get a bag ..

I did some more shoppppppping today for my secret elf!!! So much fun!!
armywife likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #435
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife View Post
What kind of wrapper am I? Hmmm...more equal opportunity between boxes and bags with tissue paper, lots and lots of tissue paper. And, true confession -- sometimes I take scrapbook paper and run it through the shredder to make bag and box filler that will coordinate with the wrapping paper or bag.

I worked at a small town drug store/florist when I was in high school and was the designated wrapper. The florist taught me how to wrap the way the big city stores did it.

Today's dilemma -- cook dinner and stop crafting -- or takeout and continue crafting.....decisions....decisions....!!!
Love the scrapbook paper through the shredder idea!!! Stealing this one! thanks!

armywife likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #436
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

WOW!~ very nice and you are waaaaay ahead of me!!! Yikes (checking date)

stpinlight41 likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #437
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Some fun things going on here. Some great ideas.

Design Team for Two Paper Divas and Twisted Tuesday Challenges and
Meljen's Designs
Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #438
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
WOW!~ very nice and you are waaaaay ahead of me!!! Yikes (checking date)
Don't worry...I just know that this fall break I have from school will be some of the only "down time" I have for a few weeks. I have to take advantage of this time while I have it! It was also lots of fun to start thinking about the holidays!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #439
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Sassy Joan wants cookies from Elf Susanna-danna? Sure! Will they be fresh when they get there? Maybe I will bake/freeze them, wrap them up in plastic...ya think? Then I have to lie to the PO lady and tell her nothing "perishable" is inside my Elf box! : )

Anyone mail fresh baked goods across the country? Any tips on this?
I have mailed cross country before. I wrapped each type of cookie in papertowel and then bubble wrap and then put them in the tin and then wrapped the tin and put it in a box. honestly, More work than it was worth on my end.... but my friend who is a bachelor loved them. Most made it in one piece too.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #440
Swap Moderator

Good Morning, Ladies... Yep... that's a photo of me outside getting these little girls to do their business... but, of course, I am barefoot. It is cold here, too, and the rain is heavy ... like the next drop could be snow.

I have mailed cookies, a cake, and banana bread with no problemo. At least that is what the receivers said but perhaps they just didn't want me to feel bad.

I detest wrapping gifts! I think it comes from the days of having several cats that wouldn't leave them alone when they looked nice and my mother telling me she couldn't see why the expense would be put in a package's wrapping. Both of those put the kabosh on wrapping. Chasing the cat to pull the ribbon through its body...well... unpleasant enough. Now, we really don't have many to buy for ... just my Mom.

I use to be the person that wanted the tree up on Thanksgiving night and down either Christmas Day night or the day following. How about you? When do you decorate?

Closed Thread