08-01-2013, 05:12 PM
SCS Swap Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bluegrass country, at the end of the gravel road
August Swapper of the Month - Amaranthine
Congratulations to our August Swapper of the Month! Here is a little information about Mary Ann.
Be sure to check out Mary Ann's gallery and keep an eye out for her in the swap forums.
Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - Amaranthine - Handmade Cards & Crafts
Feel free to add your comments for Mary Ann to this thread.
Originally Posted by Amaranthine
- how you got started: That’s an easy one. I saw some really cute stickers at the drug store, brought them home and made a card. It was awful!
- how long have you been doing this: Paper crafting, around 7 years. Toss in a hiatus here and there and that one crazy day I decided to “retire” … actually boxed up every last thing and sent it all to a friend. Less than a year later, I missed it so much. I told DH I wanted to get back into making stuff. He said, “Good! You are crabby if you’re not working on a project. Go shopping!” p.s. I think he wanted me to get back into crafting because if I’m thinking about a project, then I’m not thinking about other things. Things that always end up on his ‘To Do’ list!
- do you have any other hobbies: Bike riding – love the ‘Rails to Trails’; stained glass – though DH is the real master – he makes wonderful leaded full sized windows; junking and antiquing – give me a stroll through a dusty olde shop any day; and reading – MUST have a book. Upcoming hobbies … Anxious to play with encaustic art - have the supplies but haven’t had the time to delve in - and am very close to buying an oven for fused glass. Also on the back burner is letterboxing. There are so many thrilling things to try!
- a bit about your family & friends: Happily married for 30 years now … where did the time go? A grown son: our pride and joy. When asked if he’s met anyone special replies, “Not yet. It’s hard to meet girls when I’m always working!” I guess Grandkids are still in the distant future. Mom to Belle: my sweet and affectionate iggy. My parents and older sister have passed on, so it’s only my other sister and me now. We are very close, the best of friends. And speaking of friends, most of my really close friends share a love of Arthurian lore and the ancient Celts. We enjoy exploring the legends from different perspectives. After all, no one even knows for sure if King Arthur actually did exist, so the door is wide open for exploration and speculation.
- favorite tools of the trade: Scissors. One of the first cards I made – minus stickers – was a request for a Christmas card by my sister. She wanted something with snowmen. So, I decided to make her a card, quartered, each section a different snowman … one looked like Elvis, one a poodle and so on – their favorite things. All I had was a scissor, so I did negative cutting of each snowmen. Had a blast – loved playing with scissors then and still do now! Paint brushes would be my second choice, both for painting and for curling paper. A close third – my tonic paper cutter. Being ‘straight-line’ challenged – it’s invaluable.
- something we might not know: I can’t craft a thing without either dreaming it or creating a story behind it.
- favorite swapping experience: They all are! And as they say, the best is yet to come!
- anything else that you would like to share: Who doesn’t love a surprise! I was astonished when this PM landed in my mail box! Thank you so much. Swaps are the BEST! I treasure every single ATC that comes to live at my house. I mean, that person spent their time, energy, and resources to make that ATC for you – that’s an incredibly special person, especially since they may not even know you. SCS swap participants (and mods) rock!