Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #2961
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Sara- I love the scenery. I am the passenger as I don't drive.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’ Audrey Hepburn[

Joan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #2962
Rubber Obsessor

Just checking in to see if everyone is surviving the cold! It seems the older (and fatter) I get the less the cold bothers me. lol
Stay warm!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #2963
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Everyone...I'm putting this in here incase anyone has been here. Our longtime cafe had a fire yesterday. I have it on my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/ccobber
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2964
Stazon Splitcoast

Foxy- that is very sad!

Joan
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #2965
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, thank you for the very nice birthday card! It is so pretty!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #2966
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I got your beautiful birthday card from you today. Thank You very much...I haven't been on here for a while...I have a lot of catching up to do. I've had catarac surgery in both eyes, so have been going easy on the pc for now.
Thanks again Joan. You brightened my day.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #2967
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies- I am happy that you received my cards.

I am wondering if any of you would like to send a biirthday card for my aunt. She will be 102 on February 10th. She fell in her apartment. She didn't break any bones, however, she can't swallow. So she was moved to a long term care center. her mind is clear and she would love mail. My avatar is her On February 10th, 2012.

Joan
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #2968
Stazon Splitcoast

Default hobby lobby

Hey! Northern Minnesotans! I just received this in an email. Thought you might be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
images_os_01.jpg  

Joan
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #2969
Insane Embellisher

While visiting my sister at Christmas in Superior, she told me that Duluth was getting a Hobby Lobby. It sure would be nice to shop in a brand new store! Our's here in SD needs updating badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
Hey! Northern Minnesotans! I just received this in an email. Thought you might be interested.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #2970
Stazon Splitcoast

Hobby Lobby has officially opened in Duluth!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Joan
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #2971
Rubber Obsessor

Now I have even more reason for a road trip!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #2972
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Minnesota! I finally found you!

Join the FUN!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #2973
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome Joan!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #2974
Swap Moderator

Thanks, Roxanne.

Does this group plan get togethers?

Join the FUN!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #2975
Polyshrink Goddess

So a bit of back story...I teach in two neighboring school districts so every day I travel 13 miles west to finish my second half of the day teaching. Today was scheduled to be off at both districts, but my afternoon district had a snow make-up day planned. It never works out that I get a full day off for scheduled breaks because the two districts are independant and I have to work at one or the other (and pay for full days of daycare). Just got an automated call however that due to the pending storm rolling in, my afternoon district will be sending kids home at 12:30p. I don't have to drive in a blizzard this afternoon! I'm so excited!

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #2976
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan7356 View Post
Thanks, Roxanne.

Does this group plan get togethers?
Not that I know of.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #2977
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Rachel!

Rachel and I live about 20 miles apart and she is one of two people I have actually met on SCS.

Yes, it is another stormy day here in MN. At least on this western part of the state. I have the day off today. DH came home early because of the weather. Had a birthday party in a neighboring town for my DH's aunt. Her son lives in Rodgers. He said that there is hardly any snow down there. We have lots and I mean lots here!

Have a good day all!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2978
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead end dirt road, in the middle of no where!

Welcome Joan!

There have been a few gatherings created here. St Cloud seems to be the most popular area.

Scrapfest brings a few more SCS members together

I have only met 1 person from SCS, was really funny how...

She isn't on the MN thread here, we met at the Pine City Scrapbooking store...she lives in Cloquet..

I am the type of person that talks to everyone, and we just clicked nicely. Funnier yet, i am from Nickerson and went to school in Cloquet for College.

Small world!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #2979
Kookie Creator

Hello Minnesotans! I just came across this while trying to learn more about how to maneuver and use the forums and threads. Can I be included even if I do not live in MN any longer? I was just there for a month during the holidays for work and vacation visiting my family and friends.

I was born in St. Paul, moved to Oakdale when I was five, left Oakdale after my divorce and after that lived in (not in any order) St. Louis Park, Roseville, Little Canada, Bryn Mawr, Shoreview, Minneapolis, Inver Grove Heights, Plymouth and Minnetonka. I have relatives in No. St. Paul, Elysian, St. Paul, West St. Paul, Minneapolis, Elk River and in River Falls, WI. My entire family still all live in MN; I am the only one who left.

I was an Executive Assistant for 30+years (I worked for Governor Mark Dayton as his Personal & Confidential Assistant when he was State Auditor and for several years after that before I had to move to NM for my ex-husband's career change. I also was a household manager taking care of estates in FL, MI and MN, as well as a professional organizer. I specialized in helping hoarders.

Since 2008, I have been working for a great family-owned world recognized sales consulting company based Medina, MN. I used to go to Medina from Oakdale when I was younger back in the 70s with my family to listen and dance to the Rockin' Hollywoods at the Medina Ballroom. My adult son is on a bowling team there. How time flies.

I have been working for them since 2008. I am a CRM Data Manager (Salesforce). I am blessed to be able to work remotely from my home here.

I left MN in '96, lived in NM until '2004, then FL until I had to leave end of '05 after a slew of hurricanes (my timing sucked). I drove back to MN with what would fit in my mustang convertible. I stayed there till '08, and have been in Las Vegas, NV ever since then at the invitation of my dear friend and her husband. She is from ND; however, I met her in '97 in MN and we have become best friends ever since.

I have been making greeting cards off and on since my kids were little. I always was creative since I was young. My grandmother taught me how to sew, knit, crochet, tat, embroider, etc. I also used to cut/decorate goose eggs (egguery). I even had the wonderful opportunity to make my son and his wife's wedding invitations 11 years ago. Then I set it aside for some time due to various issues. I just started the hobby up again during the last year or so. I was thrilled to discover Splitcoaststampers for ideas and inspiration. After not having made cards for so long, I am just amazed at all the tools and supplies available. I love my Big Shot!

I would love to hear from other Minnesotans here and check out your galleries.

Tina Carvelli

(I am wearing my old Vikings Sweatshirt as I write this)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #2980
Stazon Splitcoast

Tina- As far as I am concerned you are a Minnesotan. I have lived in St Paul my entire life except one school year in Lonsdale.

Joan
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #2981
Swap Moderator

Tina....

What an interesting life! It was so much fun to read!

You are just as much from MN as the rest of us. I love hearing about how people have moved elsewhere and what took them away.

I am 56-years young and never have lived anywhere but Minnesota and so want to experience another place. It must be on my bucket list.

I am from Pine Island, a small town 17 miles north of Rochester. My first marriage of 17 years was spent in Rochester. When we divorced I moved to Eden Prairie, Plymouth, and now am in Maple Grove. I met my 2nd husband about a 18 months after my divorce. Now, I am homebound and require assistance to leave the house. The hardest part in all of that was losing my independence and driving - just being able to get and go....

Stay in touch!

And for those interested and liking SS Swaps just yesterday I opened a new one. Details are in my siggie. Check it out and if you like what you see join in on the fun!

Have a great weekend... safe travels. Who's ready for more snow?

Join the FUN!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #2982
Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
Tina- As far as I am concerned you are a Minnesotan. I have lived in St Paul my entire life except one school year in Lonsdale.

She is adorable!

Join the FUN!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #2983

WOW Tina I thought I moved a lot! LOL

I have moved over 40+ times, never out of MN though

Grab a drink and get comfy..I'll tell ya a story! LOL

I have been from Baudette to Mankato, as far West as Staples and Nickerson borders WI (through woods and swamp)
No move for anything exciting like you.
Mostly stupid luck of renting a place that was also for sale! LOL
I was born in MPLS we lived on Oakland Ave until I was just about a year. Then over to 10th Ave, my mother worked at Abbott. we were about 4 blocks from work for her. We lived there until I was 10 when her and her husband bought a bar in Cass Lake. I was a difficult child you might say. She sent me to live with my step father's brother in Holyoke (near Wrenshall) then they divorced and she took me back to MPLS, when school started she sent me back to Holyoke. only to take me back out of school to live with her in Elk River. That didn't last long, she met a man and moved in with him in NE MPLS, I went to live with my dad in Shakopee. He worked construction and hadn't 'owned' a home in MN for many years, I was going to be his reason to settle down. HA
the next school year he bought a home for us in Rogers, until he was offered a good paying job in TX, HE sent me back to my mothers. When I finished 9th grade my mother sent me to live with her mom in Nickerson, in the summer I sen tto live with my oldest sister in Palo (way up North near Aurora) When school started I returned to my grama's
but I had done something really stupid and was pregnant at 16. My Grama sent me to MPLS. I was very unwelcome in my mom's bf's house. I stayed there until Carrie was born in Feb, then back to grama's.
Conflicts between my mother and dad and him paying child support to her, me not living with her..blah blah blah caused too much stress for my grama so I moved away. I found a little cabin in Arthyde near my step father (one of my mom's ex's) his family was very helpful to me.
My dad was giving me money, I tried to finish school but the principle was outraged that I had a child, I hired a tutor, but that was super expensive. (I did return to high school when I was 19)
I met someone in Arthyde, we moved to Duluth together, had Joe, we then moved to Nickerson (cheap rent) for a job he got in Hinckley. We lived there about 4 years, then moved to Cloverdale to be closer to his work . We had Andy.
Then we found a place in Rutledge, it was a trailer house for sale, it stayed there until paid off. We then moved it to Willow River.
DH got into drugs and things went downhill fast between us. I moved back to grama's with the kids. then found a place in Mora.
DH moved out of the trailer house, let all utilities get shut off, and lot rent laps. WI th help form the County I took the trailer to Isanti.
That was a horrible place ot live. A single mom with 3 kids was such a disgrace. I found a friend whose mom had 115 acres and would let me have the trailer there.
We moved to Brook Park, lived there for 4 years , but her son used the property for a junk yard and child protection said it wasn't safe to have the kids there because he would not keep the junk away fro their living area.
So we moved to Mankato. I got a job at Mail Boxes Etc. Rented a house, the owner was in Prison and just wanted the house cared for...easy! till he got out.
We moved to Madison lake, we shared a house with a Police Officer, single man with no children..we made him crazy! LOL
Bought a place in Eagle Lake.
My boss was having an affair and decided his mistress should come work there, he demoted me, gave her my position, then she fired me. NICE. But she ran it into bankruptcy less then a year later! LOL
I was offered a job with the company in Maple Grove (just before the name change to The UPS Store)
I sent the boys to live with ex inlaws in Duluth while I looked for a place. DD stayed at a friends in Mankato to finish her senior year of HS
Rent is nuts in the metro. I found a place I could afford in Staples (was actually buying it), youngest son came to live with me there, while I commuted to Maple Grove.
EX DH had a fit that I was not at home enough and threatened to take Andy. so I gave up the job in MG, got a job at the hardware store in town. It was a great town and I loved it very much.
Hours got cut to barely worth them writing a check
so I gave up the house and moved to McGrath, a friend had gotten married and her house was empty.
Then they broke it off and she needed her house back , but was moving new bf in...geesh! the drama.
SO Andy and I moved to Brook Park. lady that had 115 acres, her son had inherited his dad's house in town, she was living in it, while son lived on farm.
Train came through in 2004 starting grass fires, whole place burned to the ground. Every building the house, all the vehicles. Thankfully her son was too lazy to care for animals so they were all sold before she went into town
She bought me a camper to live in and help clean the place up. She also hired Clint, one of her sons friends (mine too,) then in 2006 I talked her into selling me a piece of her land.
Then more crazy drama, her son didn't want her selling "ME" land.
so I talked Clint's parents into doing it. then Clint moved here with me. Cleaning had come to a halt as her son did not want me on that property, and he wouldn't help Clint, Clint didn't want to do it all alone with no help

In between many moves was a move back to Nickerson to stay at grama's until the next move. I didn't count all of them! LOL.
There is also 3 moves in and out of older sisters house, I was 11 - 14
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #2984
Kookie Creator

Default thanks for connecting

thank you all for writing to me.. I may have messed up on this thread - I sent private messages instead of replying here. What is the preferred way? thanks again for writing all the way from beautiful MN. Stay warm and drive safely.

Tina
Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #2985
Proud Fan Club Member

If any of your are ever in SW MN --Walnut Grove area you will have to stop at our LSS Fond Memories at the Creamery. Great shopping, monthly classes and two big workshops each year--spring and fall. Look them up on the internet. Living in a small town and having such a good store really is an enabler to my habit. Fun seeing where people are at that are on SCS.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #2986

Default rural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
So a bit of back story...I teach in two neighboring school districts so every day I travel 13 miles west to finish my second half of the day teaching. Today was scheduled to be off at both districts, but my afternoon district had a snow make-up day planned. It never works out that I get a full day off for scheduled breaks because the two districts are independant and I have to work at one or the other (and pay for full days of daycare). Just got an automated call however that due to the pending storm rolling in, my afternoon district will be sending kids home at 12:30p. I don't have to drive in a blizzard this afternoon! I'm so excited!
So what towns are you near?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2987
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all!
Vikkijo, I can answer that question. Rachel and I live in Stevens County. It is in the west central part of the state. We are SE of Fergus Falls and SW of Alexandria. Rachel teaches in Chokio and I work in Morris at the public library. I actually live near Cyrus and I would say that Rachel and I live about 20 miles apart.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2988
Stazon Splitcoast

I grew up in Henning, went to school in Alex where I met my DH, and have been living down here ever since. We have 2 grown children. No grandchildren. I have been at the public library for 11 years. I worked at the library in Hancock for 5 years before that. We lived in Hancock for 29 years and then moved out in the country near Cyrus 3 years ago. I absolutely love it out in the country!
That's my story.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #2989
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning all!

It is foggy here for the second day in a row. The library director in Alexandria was killed in a car accident yesterday morning. She was 63. So it was a tough day for us at the library here in Morris yesterday. Drive carefully today.

Hope you all have a good Tuesday!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #2990
Stazon Splitcoast

Roxane- that is so sad. She was too young. I have a friend in Alex. She is an avid reader.

Joan
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #2991
Swap Moderator

Hello MinneSNOWta... how did you all fair yesterday?

Join the FUN!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #2992
Stazon Splitcoast

The trees were beautiful yesterday. I love winter. However, shoveling is not fun!

Joan
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #2993
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Tina....

Now, I am homebound and require assistance to leave the house. The hardest part in all of that was losing my independence and driving - just being able to get and go....
Reading this makes me realize that I could be worse off than I am Joan. I work full time at the Morris Public Library. I am 55 and have back problems and also leg pains. It is never going to get any better. If I am on my feet a lot like I will be today, it ain't good. I sometimes wonder if I will be able to work until I am old enough to retire. I feel for you Joan. Keeping you in my thoughts...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #2994
Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
Reading this makes me realize that I could be worse off than I am Joan. I work full time at the Morris Public Library. I am 55 and have back problems and also leg pains. It is never going to get any better. If I am on my feet a lot like I will be today, it ain't good. I sometimes wonder if I will be able to work until I am old enough to retire. I feel for you Joan. Keeping you in my thoughts...

Thank you. I am 56 and this all opened my eyes wide open. I have much to be thankful for and always think there are people worse off... that endure more. DH and I have started talking about moving from MN where I would be able to get out more and where winter isn't 7 mos long. I will keep you in my thoughts for relief from your pain.

Join the FUN!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #2995
Stazon Splitcoast

I am thankful for every day that I wake up in the morning. It seems that every time I think life is hard for me I meet someone whose life is very difficult.

Take care all my Minnesota friends.

Joan
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #2996
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Heading to the St. Cloud area tomorrow...can someone tell me the name of the large craft store that is not Michael's or JoAnn's? TIA...
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #2997
Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Heading to the St. Cloud area tomorrow...can someone tell me the name of the large craft store that is not Michael's or JoAnn's? TIA...

Crafts Direct

Join the FUN!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #2998
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Crafts Direct
Thanks...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2999
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, that's it Joan! I always went to Michaels when I would go there. The last time I went I went to Craft's Direct. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven!!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #3000
Swap Moderator

I have spent 6 hours there and the only reason it wasn't longer is that the store was closing. I still wasn't done looking at it all.

Join the FUN!