Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default UGH, I need help with the "sports" mode

One of the biggest reasons why I was so excited to get my Nikkon digital SLR was to take amazing pictures of my girls' playing their sports. But for some reason, I can't seem to figure out how to get good pictures using the sports mode. They are ALWAYS blurry!
Can someone tell me if there is a special trick to it? Should I be using a tripod? There is no flash in that mode, can I somehow MAKE it flash? I feel so stupid, but I just can't figure this one out!!!!!
So frustrating, anyone else know what I mean? It's probably so obvious, but I just can't figure it out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Matboard Maniac

I'm with you. Most of my sporting pictures are blurry too. I took a photography class that they offered at a local high school and he recommended using a tripod. I gonna to try and use a tripod when I can and I recently ordered a remote.

It is very frustrating!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

First thing that pops into my feeble mind is""
Have you upped your ISO????? Your camera has a default "film" speed which is probably either 200 or 400.....for sports you will probably want it to be 800 or maybe even 1000.With a digital SLR you can even go faster----------- With a DSLR you will also want to have it on Tv(shutter speed) and choose a fast shutter speed---1/500 or 1/1000 of a second....the camera will automatically choose the aperture for the lighting conditions. If you are doing indoor sports then you will also want to change your white balance setting---to florusencent(sp) or tungsten--this only affects color, not blur.....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-198 done only 283+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-30 and sweating
100 by 100 first round begins Jan 1, 2014

http://www.2014-100-100-first-round-
Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

I agree with cmouse -- bump your ISO as high as you can. Also try to keep your f-stop low; it will also help to make the photos crisp because the shutter won't have to stay open as long. (That might prevent having to use a tripod?)

I think by default the flash will not turn on if you use the "Sports" mode (Basically the camera knows that the flash isn't fast enough to keep up.) If you want a flash you'll need to try TV or manual (and in manual you will have to turn on the flash yourself first.) The pop-up flash only illuminates about ten feet though, so you are probably better off not using it.

You might also check your auto focus mode. Most DSLR's have three different auto focus capabilities. One mode is made to keep moving objects in focus-it will lock on to your moving subject and will keep them in focus as they move. (I'm a canon user, but I did some googling for you -- it looks like you need to set the focus to AF-C) HERE is the link to an article that might help you with that.

If you are still having problems with crispness - try a monopod. I find it much easier to maneuver around with during active events -- a tripod doesn't move around as easily and all those legs sticking out make for a pretty dangerous situation when you are in a crowd!

Good luck!

Last edited by Proud Mom; 12-19-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

I'm with Pansy and Pam on this. High ISO and higher shutter speed. A tripod or monopod as well if you can.