Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #84 ~ Men At Work {06/29/10} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-84-%7E-men-work-%7B06-29-10%7D-t496502.html)

Cook22 06-29-2010 06:48 AM

Photo Challenge #84 ~ Men At Work {06/29/10}

3 Attachment(s)
Neither Ina nor I have heard from Angie for a while, so Ina suggested that I could post a challenge for this week. Whether it's still medical issues with family or just computer problems, I am sure we all miss her and hope that things are alright.

It was a busy weekend, and I didn't have time to come up with any great ideas, but when we were out walking along the canal on Saturday we saw two workers on a boat cleaning the canal, and also some men working on the railway line. So my challenge is photos of men - or women - at work.
I am so bummed - I had to go to the doctor this morning, and when I was changing trains I suddenly realised there was probably no memory card in my camera. So I missed some men painting today. I tried with my phone, but I don't know if it's worth uploading. Let's see what you can find to show people in their work environments.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ Please jump in and join us in the photo challenges at anytime!
~ Again - HAVE FUN! :smile:

Working on the railroad
On the canal
The second photo is when they had turned their boat at right-angles to the canal bank and were offloading all the dredged algae and scum. There are a couple more photos of them on my BLOG. They surely don't look as if they found it a stressful job, and were very friendly when we stopped to chat.

yellowrose46 06-29-2010 05:15 PM

Great challenge, Sabrina! I love your photos, especially the middle one with the man 'working so hard' and with such a fantastic smile!
We left home too early this morning, or I could have taken some photos for this. My friend Melissa and I popped across the border to the U.S. today and on our way home were delayed by men working on the highway......delayed us by at least 1/2 hour! I should be able to get some shots soon.

Cook22 07-04-2010 11:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
When we were filling in time between flights in the UK we went for a walk in a park near the airport. While this might look more like boys and their toys, it was definitely a case of men at work!!

rdoak03 07-04-2010 02:22 PM

great challenge! I am hoping to catch up with some of these- halfway through Project 365 and I need some inspiration!

yellowrose46 07-06-2010 08:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I love your railway photos Sabrina.............those men look funny with the miniature train.
I finally got some photos. They both involve a vehicle. My neighbour mowing her lawn (note her little dog) and another neighbour cutting hay. I hope to have more later in the week. The last one is of a secretary at work.

BittyBadger 07-06-2010 10:20 AM

Worker in Wisconsin

1 Attachment(s)
Just love your pics out here of 'workers'. Last time I loaded in the wrong place so it was taken away...Hope I am in the right place now......

This 'worker' is sideraking hay so it will be dry enough to be bale.

yellowrose46 07-06-2010 10:59 AM

Great shot BittyBadger! BTW, what is your first name?

Cook22 07-06-2010 11:16 AM

I like your tractor best, Ina, but your neighbour mowing looks as if she is enjoying it. The woman we stayed overnight with on Friday had bought a ride-on mower because she really wanted one,, but her garden isn't really big enough for it, so all the neighbours are benefiting as she mows all the verges :D.
I can almost smell that grass/hay in your one, BittyBadger.

BittyBadger 07-06-2010 11:49 AM

Sabina, my first name is Bitty...hahaha no no, its Judy. Me too, I can smell the new mown hay just looking at pics.

girlzclubstampers 07-07-2010 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my entry for this challenge - a cowgirl at work! My sister rides and trains horses (kinda!) so I guess this could count!!

(view the flickr page...)

Hugs!!

yellowrose46 07-07-2010 08:51 AM

Hannah, that certainly does count and I love the way you shot this!

Cook22 07-07-2010 12:15 PM

Cool cowgirl shot - I like the perspective.
Is that a Western style saddle - doesn't look the ones I vaguely remember seeing in tack rooms here, though as any of the few times I've ridden have been bareback, my ideas of saddles are pretty vague!

girlzclubstampers 07-07-2010 03:10 PM

Yeah... I do believe it's a Western... I'm not the cowgirl, though!! I should ask my sister. Don't know much about horses except "whoa" and "here's a carrot!!" :roll: But I'll be learning one day, soon. I hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 16973461)
Cool cowgirl shot - I like the perspective.
Is that a Western style saddle - doesn't look the ones I vaguely remember seeing in tack rooms here, though as any of the few times I've ridden have been bareback, my ideas of saddles are pretty vague!

princessdi69 07-08-2010 02:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a great photo challenge. Love the outdoor photos. When I think of men at work, I think of construction workers.

Anyway, there two photos are of my dh putting in under cabinet lights. My back hurts looking at the way he is bending backwards...

bambi64 07-08-2010 03:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We took the kids to the Newport Aquarium yesterday evening (Family nights - kids get in free with paid adults!). This worker was so kind to our son as he had been trying to pet the black shark but it just wouldn't ever come near him. So she actually let him come back to where she stands, while she gives a talk about the sharks, how to pet them etc, even though she said she shouldn't do it as it was a 'safe spot' for the sharks cause they know they won't get petted over by her. But since ds had been trying forever (and it was! like 20 mins if not longer) to pet this one shark, she took pity on him. Of course little one had to follow big brother and she allowed her to stand there too.

Cook22 07-09-2010 09:42 AM

Lucky you getting those under-cabinet lights, Diana. That's not just a man at work, that is SO useful.
Amber, I love all the reflections from the water on the wall in the second photo. How nice that your son got to pat the shark in the end. Twenty minutes is a long time for an adult to be patient, never mind a kid :D.

Lynn13 07-12-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlzclubstampers (Post 16972152)
Here's my entry for this challenge - a cowgirl at work! My sister rides and trains horses (kinda!) so I guess this could count!!

(view the flickr page...)

Hugs!!

Awesome photo, Hannah....love it! Also, I really liked your photos on Flickr! You do a great job!

Lynn13 07-12-2010 02:06 PM

I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's interpretation of the theme... great photos everyone!

cletracloversgirl 07-13-2010 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my hubby and FIL...they are using an OLiver crawler with a bucket. They were cleaning a waterway out so the water would not back up in teh hay field...

stampinfun 07-14-2010 12:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is all I can come up with for men at work. They were having fun but there was so many fireworks that it became a chore to get all them babies lit. The next day we still had sparklers, bottle rockets and black cats left to light.

Cook22 07-14-2010 12:51 AM

I can almost smell the fireworks, looking at those!
And those of the ditch-clearing, sure looks dry now looking at that grass, but I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that work if you didn't get the rain too.

cletracloversgirl 07-14-2010 02:39 AM

Sabrina,
It was preventive maintenance...we did get lots of rain last night. The grass that is brown is actually hay that was cut and was not picked up by the baler...they had just put the hay up a few days prior....
The ditch was full of topsoil...actually even with the field...so the field would have had wash out dirt through out it.

armadillo 08-29-2011 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have no idea what the men might be doing in the first photo as I didn't want to switch to my longer lens since I was waiting for the trains to come by. In the second photo the driver is checking the railroad tracks for any flaws.

Cook22 08-30-2011 09:46 AM

I like all your railway shots. We grew up so close to the train tracks, and in the days when you still could, I used to walk miles along them just beside the beach. There's something very photogenic about trains and tracks.

Cook22 11-03-2011 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We had bad flooding last week. The river that runs through the city centre didn't actually burst its banks, but one did crack and shift, causing a bad crack in the sidewalk along it. It's the way I usually walk to work, but now it's all taped off with police tape, so I can't take a photo of it. But last Friday I saw surveyors at work, and they were there again this morning. It's going to be a pretty major job, I should think!
I guess I could equally well have posted this as newsworthy! We had a whole month's worth of rain in one day, and there were some amazing videos on YouTube of buses with water up to peoples ankles, and water pouring down the stairs in a big trendy shopping mall. Photo-worthy or not I'm glad I was safe at home.

Beth Sheach 12-15-2011 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
these are the men at work pics i got. i have to admit the first 2 were not taken specifically for this challenge, but i tho't they'd fit.

the first one is a work team building our new dining room, the second one is the headmaster at our school teaching a science class. and the third one is of course Santa. :)

Cook22 12-15-2011 11:17 PM

The Santa one is great :D. I like the second one - reminds me of some of the photos DH took when he visited friends who run a school in Mozambique.

yellowrose46 12-20-2011 06:25 PM

Lovely photos Beth. Looks like a pretty large dining room! I love the way the roof timbers show the sky through them. Nice outdoor classroom too!

armadillo 05-05-2014 05:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Dredging the gook from the bottom of the little lagoon at the Botanical Garden. A horse having his shoe filed and a woman dusting off one of the Chihuly exhibits at the Botanical Garden.

Cook22 05-06-2014 04:37 AM

Those are great shots! The first is my favourite :D.
The last one - I'd be terrified of breaking one, but I suppose they must be stronger than they look. I suppose you don't get enough rain to clean the dust off that way!

armadillo 05-06-2014 10:19 AM

Thank you Sabrina. I wouldn't want the job of dusting all those glass sculptures either no matter how strong they were. We went 72 days before we had rain a few months ago.

yellowrose46 05-17-2014 02:19 AM

Audrey, those photos are fantastic! I love the first photo..........a great subject and also so beautifully focused. The other two photos are super too and I love how varied these pictures are. You have a great eye!

armadillo 05-17-2014 04:15 AM

Thank you Ina.

armadillo 06-03-2014 02:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More men at work and some women also; hope I don't bore y'all with these. I took a ton of photos of the Chihuly exhibit being de-installed at the Phoenix Botanical Garden.

armadillo 06-03-2014 03:03 PM

10 Attachment(s)
some more men at work

armadillo 06-03-2014 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one, hope you enjoy these.

Cook22 06-04-2014 02:58 AM

Not bored at all - fascinating to see. I'd have taken a ton of photos too if I'd been there. My favourites are #5 in the first post and #3 in the second post. It's so interesting to see the infrastructure under all that glass. There must have been hundreds of boxes by the time it was all dismantled and packed up!

BittyBadger 06-04-2014 03:55 AM

Glass and more glass

Do you know where this will be displayed next? There is a large unit similar to one of the pcs here that hangs from the ceiling in the Gonda Building at the Mayo Clinic at Rochester, MN. It's huge!!!!

armadillo 06-04-2014 06:10 AM

Thank you Sabrina and, yes, there were just tons and tons of boxes.

Because I was hanging around taking so many pictures at the various sculptures, one of the packers came towards me with one of the baubles from the chandelier. I thought, oh my gosh, he is going to give be this! Sadly that wasn't his intention. He said that because I was taking all these pictures that I should have a picture of me holding this bauble!

Bitty Badger, most of what was at the Phoenix Botanical Garden went back to Seattle but I do know that two of the sculptures from this exhibit had to be in Denver by May 27th. If you go on Google and type in his name I think you might find where he will be.