Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #46 ~ Shadow Play {8-9-09} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-46-%7E-shadow-play-%7B8-9-09%7D-t453057.html)

Duckwaddlequack 08-10-2009 08:10 PM

Photo Challenge #46 ~ Shadow Play {8-9-09}

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy ya'll! I was thinking it might be fun and interesting to do some shadow chasing! Way back at the beginning of the challenges we did silhouettes but we have yet to really play around with shadows. Silhouettes and shadows are two different but somewhat similar ways to use light in photography. We all know that lighting is a major factor in pictures and shadows can add more depth and character to a shot. Be on the lookout for objects casting unique shadows or things within the shadows and the shadows themselves. Good luck! :)

For a refesher on or to post silhouettes, here's the thread for them -PC #5: Silhouettes

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ Please jump in and join us in the photo challenges at anytime!
~ Again - HAVE FUN! :)

Here's just a simple one - tree and it's shadow in our backyard. The second one doesn't have the best focus but I really like it. It's my parents and I leaning over a bridge at a local park when they visited a few months back. :)

Cook22 08-11-2009 01:54 AM

:D - it was the shadows that attracted my in my balconies photo for the B challenge. I'll have to look out for some more, now.
I'd say that was the entrance to Guinnesses that you would have passed, there isn't really another one with the same iconic status.

Cook22 08-11-2009 06:34 AM

p.s. I just love that shadows in the bridge one - it's would look great on the wall. It's one of those pictures you could lose yourself in, looking at it.

jamielady 08-11-2009 07:29 AM

A Few...

3 Attachment(s)
Im going to go out and "do" the challenge but for now here a few I found.

jamielady 08-11-2009 07:32 AM

One more..

1 Attachment(s)
Here the lane pic but in its original color. There were two orange cones up at the entrance and I photoshopped them out..lol! My first attempt at doing that.

jamielady 08-11-2009 07:33 AM

Angie I love the bridge pic!! Its awesome!

yellowrose46 08-11-2009 11:02 AM

I can tell this is going to be a fantastic challenge! Already the posted photos are great! I love your bridge photo, Angie! I agree with Sabrina that you could spend a long time looking at this one. I think you should enlarge it and hang it as a piece of art.
Jamie, love your lane photo, especially the black and white version!

dairy queen 08-11-2009 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is me at sunset

jamielady 08-11-2009 11:43 PM

Sunset Pic!

I realy like this a lot!! I tried today to take a pic of my shadow..but the sun kept hiding under the clouds! TFS!
jamie

craftygirl04 08-12-2009 06:25 AM

If the sun EVER comes out I will head out and take some photos for this challenge! The weather network said it was supposed to be sunny today...wrong again!
:( Connie

yellowrose46 08-12-2009 06:35 AM

Its sunny now, Connie! Quick, get out there before it clouds over again. I forgot to charge my batteries, so it won't be today for me!

Cook22 08-12-2009 02:27 PM

Too cloudy for any shadow photos outdoors today. I've only thought of indoors now that I am in bed. Hmmm - if the forecast for tomorrow comes true, I'll have to explore indoor possibilties!
I like your lane, Jamie.

dairy queen 08-12-2009 06:49 PM

C'mon ladies, there are lots of possibilities indoors!:cool: Think of different light sources. Lamps, tv, computer, flashlight, refrigerator/microwave/stove lights, candle, etc.
It could be fun with the limitations! Even street lights. Now I've got myself motivated, lets get snappin! ;):D

craftygirl04 08-13-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 14862857)
Its sunny now, Connie! Quick, get out there before it clouds over again. I forgot to charge my batteries, so it won't be today for me!

Never made it out again. Today, the sun is shining and I'm going out to play.........after groceries and laundry. Hope to post later today;)

3 Little Love Bugs 08-13-2009 10:57 AM

Wow, these are some amazing shots so far! Great job!

Cook22 08-13-2009 11:47 PM

Waah, it was unrelentingly grey all day yesterday. And yes, I know there are possibilties for indoors - but I came home and slept for two hours after work. I still feel lousy, but I aim to get something by tomorrow evening, by hook or by crook. Even if it's DH making a shadow picture on the wall, LOL.

yellowrose46 08-14-2009 06:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finally got some shadow shots. The first one is of my lawn chair, the next of me trying to take a shadow photo of the car. Number three, morning shadows on my lawn.

ponygirl 08-14-2009 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
`Cool shadow pics!
Here's a couple I took recently, with ProudMom's point & shoot.

yellowrose46 08-14-2009 09:47 PM

Lisa, those photos are so sweet!

Cook22 08-15-2009 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I discovered today, when we finally had some sunshine, that it's quite difficult to stay out of shot. So here are the best I could do. My rosemary and a stray poppy against a wall that DH badly needs to paint. A seahorse sculputre my dad made me a few years ago. And one showing the sculpture as well as the shadow :D

Cook22 08-15-2009 10:05 AM

I like your lawn chair, Ina. Wish we had enough sunshine to sit out in - it's in and out like a yo-yo today.

MariLynn 08-15-2009 11:55 AM

Sabrina, I like your stray poppy. That is a neat seahorse sculpture.

MariLynn 08-15-2009 11:57 AM

Angie, I love your bridge photo.

Cordelia 08-15-2009 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was taken from the top of the Ferris wheel. I thought the angle of the shadow was neat.

Cordelia 08-15-2009 09:37 PM

Jamie-- Love your lane pic!
Deanne-- Great shot! The angle of the fence really draws the eye along to your shadow.
Ina-- Love the lawn chair! :mrgreen:
Lisa-- Your photos are so adorable!
Sabrina-- The fact that the wall needs to be painted really makes your stray poopy pic interesting. ;) Love it!

Cook22 08-16-2009 02:05 AM

No way, even for such a cool shot, would you get me on that Ferris Wheel. I lost what used to be quite a good head for heights somewhere along the way. But it certainly is a cool photo!

c-mouse 08-16-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 14894599)
I discovered today, when we finally had some sunshine, that it's quite difficult to stay out of shot. So here are the best I could do. My rosemary and a stray poppy against a wall that DH badly needs to paint. A seahorse sculputre my dad made me a few years ago. And one showing the sculpture as well as the shadow :D

Love the shots....the seahorse is eye catching....what material is he made from?

Cook22 08-16-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouse (Post 14900498)
Love the shots....the seahorse is eye catching....what material is he made from?

Clay, with shoe polishes for colour, and a stone from the local beach to stand him on. I was so pleased with what my dad came up with :D. Before my mum died he used to do a lot more creative stuff, but he's pretty much given it up since, the kiln hasn't been fired up for about five years now.

c-mouse 08-16-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 14902025)
Clay, with shoe polishes for colour, and a stone from the local beach to stand him on. I was so pleased with what my dad came up with :D. Before my mum died he used to do a lot more creative stuff, but he's pretty much given it up since, the kiln hasn't been fired up for about five years now.

so sorry he has stopped creating....he has a gift....

yellowrose46 08-19-2009 03:28 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Angie? I've been looking for challenge number 47! It's my highlight at the beginning of each week. I know, I know, I live a very sheltered life!

craftygirl04 08-19-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 14921841)
Does anyone know what happened to Angie? I've been looking for challenge number 47! It's my highlight at the beginning of each week. I know, I know, I live a very sheltered life!

I've been wondering, too, Ina. Perhaps she's on holidays...but I'm waiting in anticipation for the challenge.
Connie

yellowrose46 08-20-2009 07:20 AM

I p.m.'d her today. I was going to go ahead and post a challenge yesterday, but got busy and seeing as today is Thursday already, I will just leave it.

yellowrose46 08-20-2009 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just uploaded the photos I took yesterday on a short hike through a wooded path down to the Grand River. we had a wonderful time, eating our lunch, wading in the river and taking photos of flowers and dragonflies. I noticed this one has a great shadow.

weederberries 08-21-2009 12:07 AM

Here's one from the Sand Dunes in Colorado.

http://clarks.smugmug.com/photos/554806113_yUrRg-M.jpg

dairy queen 08-21-2009 05:34 AM

weederberries, i think that is the sweetest picture i have EVER seen!!!! priceless!!!!!

yellowrose46 08-21-2009 06:52 AM

Awesome photo, Lisa!

Proud Mom 08-22-2009 08:15 AM

Jamie--That shady street is amazing!
Deanne-- What a fun photo - love the leading line and that's so cool that you made it a self portrait too!
Lisa-- Great capture - that shadow really compliments the couple!
Ina -- that lawn chair looks SO inviting - perfect capture!
Sabrina-- Thanks for including the 'how' of that seahorse - that's an amazing photo of a beautiful sculpture!
Cordelia - that ferris wheel is PERFECT! I like the double photo effect - the shadow scene on top of the real-life scene!
Lisa - sweet photo! How precious he is!

armadillo 12-27-2009 02:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are my late afternoon takes on shadow play.

armadillo 03-16-2012 08:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I took these five photos of the Grand Canyon March 1 or 2 of this year. The shadows are all created from the clouds.

yellowrose46 03-20-2012 08:53 AM

Audrey, those scenes are breathtaking! I think I like the last one best, with the tree at the side and a little bit of snow showing!