Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #33 ~ Get Vertical {5-4-09} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-33-%7E-get-vertical-%7B5-4-09%7D-t435729.html)

Duckwaddlequack 05-04-2009 07:59 PM

Photo Challenge #33 ~ Get Vertical {5-4-09}

1 Attachment(s)
I was reading recently in a photo book at the book store how the majority of photos taken by most people are horizontal and since cameras are designed to take horizontal photos, most people don't think to even turn their cameras vertical. I know a lot of you have posted some vertical photos but I thought this would make for a good challenge, and get us more practice with vertical shots and comfortably using them. Vertical photos tend to work best with objects that are taller then they are wide and with objects that are in an up & down motion. Another advantage to shooting vertically is that it helps to filter out unwanted distractions on the horizontal plane and makes the object seem or appear taller. They also work well with closeups. So lets go get vertical!

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ Please jump in and join us in the photo challenges at anytime!
~ Again - HAVE FUN! :)

ponygirl 05-04-2009 09:18 PM

Love the photo Angie! Isn't it funny how pretty weeds can be?

Karrie30 05-05-2009 05:12 AM

on my way to find vertical....;)

craftygirl04 05-05-2009 06:59 AM

Lately, I seem to shoot more vertical than horizontal... I guess I'll do some posting of photos when I get home.

yellowrose46 05-05-2009 07:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Angie, I love the dandelion seed head! Great challenge! I think these challenges are helping us all to see things in a different light. My little digital camera broke down yesterday. In the 'shoot' mode, the screen remains black. However, I did take quite a few vertical shots while on vacation last week on Rhode Island. I just uploaded them to my computer yesterday. Hope that isn't too long ago.....

MariLynn 05-05-2009 09:50 AM

Angie, I love the way your dandelion fluff ball looks. I love it's imperfection (not being completely there) and I love the details you captured.

craftygirl04 05-05-2009 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some tulips my dh bought me. What a guy!

Attachment 145277

craftygirl04 05-05-2009 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are some flowers from my front garden.
Attachment 145279

Duckwaddlequack 05-05-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygirl (Post 13967230)

Totally! :)

Ina those are lovely! I really love the waterfall over the dam with the dead tree.

Craftygirl I love the soft focus of the first one and how the sun hits your flowers in the second one!

weederberries 05-05-2009 05:20 PM

This is a great challenge. We had our camera for about 6 months and then tried to create a framed photo collage for our wall in our house and realized that we didn't have any vertical photos!! We had a vacation planned after that and made a point to turn the camera. We bought a grip that has the shutter button on it so we can comfortably turn our camera vertically. We came home with way too many vertical photos, but it balanced out the months of horizontals we'd taken.

Now it is second nature for us to shoot both horizontally and vertically. You can frame a shot much more appropriately if you think in terms of both. I'll try to take some new verticals this week.

Here's an oldie to tide you over.
http://clarks.smugmug.com/photos/62269195_k7Pts-M.jpg
Ok, one more that isn't of my kids:
http://clarks.smugmug.com/photos/39218927_WtYbj-M.jpg

Duckwaddlequack 05-05-2009 06:38 PM

Oh Lisa, she darlin! What a wonderful shot with the water sprinkling out! And the lion is so cool!

weederberries 05-05-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygirl (Post 13967230)

My kiddos brought me fistfuls of these the other day and we must have sat there for 10 minutes blowing all the seeds off. Thankfully, we weren't anywhere near my lawn for them to germinate. They are pretty elsewhere. :-)

weederberries 05-05-2009 09:16 PM

Craftygirl, I wish I had flowers like that in my front yard! What are the pretty white ones called?

You would laugh if I took a picture of the "seasonal color" the builder just installed in beds of our new house. There's color alright...if you get close enough...closer...closer...get a little bit closer...oh hey, there's some yellow in there, I think. They don't make a macro lens good enough to photograph those "flowers."

craftygirl04 05-06-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckwaddlequack (Post 13975548)
Totally! :)

Ina those are lovely! I really love the waterfall over the dam with the dead tree.

Craftygirl I love the soft focus of the first one and how the sun hits your flowers in the second one!

Thanks Angie! Flowers are my favourite subject to photograph.
I really like your dandilion photo, too. I've seen a few good shots of dandilions on here and I would never before have thought to photograph them.

craftygirl04 05-06-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederberries (Post 13978388)
Craftygirl, I wish I had flowers like that in my front yard! What are the pretty white ones called?

You would laugh if I took a picture of the "seasonal color" the builder just installed in beds of our new house. There's color alright...if you get close enough...closer...closer...get a little bit closer...oh hey, there's some yellow in there, I think. They don't make a macro lens good enough to photograph those "flowers."

Thanks Lisa! It's all my hubby. He's the gardener. The white flowers are Hyacinths. They smell wonderful!

Your photos are great! I love the one of the the little girl. It's darling!

Duckwaddlequack 05-06-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04 (Post 13979052)
Thanks Angie! Flowers are my favourite subject to photograph.I really like your dandilion photo, too. I've seen a few good shots of dandilions on here and I would never before have thought to photograph them.

Ditto to that!!!

frontrangemama 05-07-2009 06:40 AM

newbie here! love these photos! great job!

Rox71 05-07-2009 06:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The first was taken on a different day than the last two, the sky certianly show it too.

I snapped the old church steeple as we were sitting at a stop light.

The old train sits on our municicpal grounds and vertical worked best to get the parking lots and current constuction out of the shot.

And who can resist those flowers in bloom! I had to take about five shots to get this because it's down low to the ground and I can't see through the view screen to know what I'm taking but I got one!

Thanks for the challenge Angie!

Rox71 05-07-2009 07:02 AM

Angie the weed is beautiful!

Ina, great shot of the water and mill.

Craftygirl the flowers are so pretty.

And Lisa your shots are too cute and so colorful, very nice on both.

craftygirl04 05-07-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontrangemama (Post 13991827)

Welcome

Rox71 05-07-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontrangemama (Post 13991827)

Very nice blog of photos, thanks for sharing it!

abbyzmommy 05-07-2009 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My very adorable neice on Easter.

ponygirl 05-07-2009 08:42 PM

I tend to take more vertical photos than horizontal. Just like the cards I make. Most are vertical. Here is a recent one:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_6013-1.jpg

ponygirl 05-07-2009 08:44 PM

And another one:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_6071-1.jpg

This is what happens to Angie's dandelions!

Cook22 05-10-2009 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to spend more time in this part of the forum to exercise my rusty photopraphic muscles. Most of my photos are portrait mode, and that's not including the ones of my cards, LOL. Thank goodness my camera auto-rotates them for playback.
A couple of weeks back when I was taking photos for a college project for DH, I forgot about him needing them to be landscape mode, so he couldn't use some of the ones hewould have liked.
Here's one I took today - slightly odd angle because I had my Uni-Loc tripod angled out over the irises for some downward shots, then moved it back to get this.

c-mouse 05-10-2009 03:04 PM

My verticals

3 Attachment(s)
"shot" a dear friend's outdoor wedding yesterday...... Here are a group of verticals from that event.
It was not a first wedding for either one and between them they have 7 grands. One thumbnail is the couple---next should be the boys,,,,what a neat way to include them as part of the wedding party---the nets are because they released live butterflies at the conclusion of the ceremony... and last is a shot of trees and sky taken at the outdoor location.

ponygirl 05-10-2009 07:23 PM

My favorite American Idol, Adam Lambert, was in town for his hometown visit, and one of the stops he made was at MCAS Miramar. I was lucky enough to get to go see him. Of course I had my camera! He was singing The Star Spangled Banner here. If you would like to hear it, just go to my blog.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_7885-1.jpg

The American Idol film crew were also there with their cameras, and parts of his visit will be on TV this Tuesday night. While you are watching for ProudMom and I, please vote for Adam!

craftygirl04 05-11-2009 04:06 AM

Oh Lisa, you lucky gal! He's my fave too!

llrandolph 05-13-2009 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my favorite way to take pictures! Here's a couple that I took with my new camera. Still trying to learn all the ins and outs of it, but what fun to be out there shooting with it. The first one is my newest grandaughter, Faith, and the second was taken at Custer State Park of one of the buffalo. TFL!

yellowrose46 05-14-2009 06:47 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Angie this week? I hope she isn't ill. I was looking forward to challenge number 34, even though I don't have a working camera. I really enjoy seeing all the photos y'all come up with.
My little Nikon coolpix shows a black screen in the 'shoot' mode. I think the lens is stuck. It is only 9 months old and should be fixed under warranty, but when I took it in, the man looked at a couple of scratches on the metal, and said it would only be covered under warranty if it was proved it was a manufacturers defect and the scratches showed it had been roughly used. Well, I can read the handwriting on THAT wall..........and it would cost me $40 just to send it in. So, I need to re-adjust my finances and buy a Rebel a little sooner than I had anticipated.

StampinCdn 05-14-2009 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What great pictures! The picture I'm submitting for this challenge is of a little lake near our house. At this time of year there are all kinds of goslings swimming with their parents-it is so much fun to walk around the lake right now!

Duckwaddlequack 05-14-2009 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 14057538)
Does anyone know what happened to Angie this week? I hope she isn't ill. I was looking forward to challenge number 34, even though I don't have a working camera. I really enjoy seeing all the photos y'all come up with.
My little Nikon coolpix shows a black screen in the 'shoot' mode. I think the lens is stuck. It is only 9 months old and should be fixed under warranty, but when I took it in, the man looked at a couple of scratches on the metal, and said it would only be covered under warranty if it was proved it was a manufacturers defect and the scratches showed it had been roughly used. Well, I can read the handwriting on THAT wall..........and it would cost me $40 just to send it in. So, I need to re-adjust my finances and buy a Rebel a little sooner than I had anticipated.

OMG!!! I'm alive and well! Thanks for the PM's! I completely lost my mind and totally missed posting #34! It hit me as I was drifting off to sleep last night. I'm behind on photos, stamping, blogging - the works! We've been busy getting vertical with our roof!!!!!!:(:( Last Friday during a storm we discovered a wet bathroom, meaning a wet attic, meaning a leak in the stinkin' roof! Which means we've been cleaning, drying and repairing things over the last week. Thank heavens for good friends too b/c we just invested in a whole new ac/heat unit in Dec and didn't want to invest in a major roof repair bill. Here's our good friend who helped out this week! And I'm off to get my bum in gear....

Duckwaddlequack 05-14-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 14057538)

Sorry to hear about the camera, Ina. I actual thought mine was done for just a few hours ago as well. I took a few pics of some cards and then the lens started to sound funny going in and out. Andrew looked at it and finally it wouldn't even open and come out. He messed with it a bit and then I noticed part of it was slightly sticking up. I knew better than to push on it but I hoped against hope and did just that! It seems to have righted itself for the moment and is doing just fine. But I think I'll be joining you soon in plotting a way to get a new DSLR sooner than planned as well.

yellowrose46 05-15-2009 04:40 AM

Just glad you are o.k. and I'm sorry about your water problems. I've had water in my basement (finished rec/stamping room) 3 times in the 20 years I have lived here and it is no fun at all! I hope not too much of your house got damaged.

Proud Mom 05-15-2009 06:14 AM

Get Vertical

I love shooting vertical photos!

This first one was taken in a rainforest in Hawaii.

(More pics of the rainforest walk in my BLOG today)

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...5_edited-1.jpg

Is is too weird to take a 'landscape' photo in 'portrait' orientation? ;-)

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...2_edited-1.jpg

yellowrose46 05-15-2009 07:20 AM

Pam, all I can say is WOW! That sunset is stunning and I love the rainforest flower too.
llrandolph..........your little granddaughter is so cute and I love the photo of the buffalo too....great angle.
Donna, that looks just like the lake I live beside, but I gather you live in the London area, so it isn't. My brother lives in London and two other brothers live in Strathroy, where I grew up. Small world.

llrandolph 05-15-2009 10:57 AM

WOW Pam those photos are amazing!

Ruthie Hamilton 05-16-2009 09:31 AM

Go Vertical #33

Here is my submission for the Go Vertical challenge ... actually I really like to take vertical photos as it gets rid of all unnecessary "stuff"...
http://peaceinthepieces.blogspot.com

Ruthie Hamilton 05-16-2009 09:33 AM

Guess I messed up somehow - and the pictures didn't load!
you may visit my phot blog at http://peaceinthepieces.blogspot.com
thanks for looking!

Duckwaddlequack 05-17-2009 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So many great vertical photos! Ya'll are blowing me away!

Here's the first wild strawberry for the season. They grow all around the bottom of our deck and throughout the yard.