Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge 170 'House Plants' {January 22, 2013} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-170-house-plants-%7Bjanuary-22-2013%7D-t567633.html)

yellowrose46 01-22-2013 03:18 AM

Photo Challenge 170 'House Plants' {January 22, 2013}

3 Attachment(s)
Photo Challenge #170 'House Plants'. I've made it a really easy challenge this week. Seeing as it is bitter cold here this week ( a windchill factor of -24 C. degrees this morning) I decided to take my pictures indoors. If you don't have any indoor plants, you could always go to the local florist or even grocery store to take some photos
Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ Please jump in and join us in the photo challenges at any time!
~HAVE FUN!

My photos; the first one is a large plant that my previous neighbour received in memory of her husband who passed away 4 years ago, and seeing as she has remarried, I think the memories were not what she wanted to look at on a daily basis, so she gave the plant to me. It stands about 2 1/2 feet tall. The other two plants are ones I received in a basket when I had surgery and I later split them all up into separate pots.

armadillo 01-22-2013 11:12 AM

Nice plants but, unlike my Mother, I can't grow anything so I have no indoor plants.

yellowrose46 01-22-2013 12:11 PM

Too bad Audrey. My plants are mostly really easy care. I only water a few times a week, sometimes only once. I don't fertilize either. I don't know what happened to the last two photos I posted. In my gallery, they are upright.

armadillo 01-22-2013 01:29 PM

Ivy is supposed to be one of the easiest plants to grow and they die on me, I couldn't even grow a cactus in doors!

Cook22 01-23-2013 05:30 AM

At the moment I happen to be in the same boat as Audrey, almost. My aunt gave me a lovely white cyclamen for Christmas, but it just collapsed in a heap. I do have a bamboo I grew from seed which is indoors for the winter, so I might see if I can take a picture of that - or else I'll be resorting to the garden centre or something. I used to be good with plants but not so much recently.
I like like the first photo - that was a nice plant to have passed on to you, Ina.

yellowrose46 01-23-2013 05:43 AM

You can always go to you local supermarket too. I know that here in North America they usually have a little flower center, and it's a treat, in the middle of winter, to spend a bit of time among the green. Right now, our supermarket has orchids on sale for $15. I'd love to get one, but I already have 4 orchids, none of which are in bloom right now.
Yes, I really enjoy that philodendron, but it takes up a whole corner of my living room!

mamaxsix 01-24-2013 06:21 AM

6 Attachment(s)
One of the many blessings of our kitchen/dining room remodel is that I have room for a plant area at the large window area in my dining room now. I found some cute tables at the thrift store and was able to set up the plants where they get great light. You can see the snowy ground outside (really just a dusting, but it has been SUPER cold this week) and I love having the greenery in the house. I've never been a super green thumb with house plants, but this location has been good and this particular African Violet has been the most prolific one I've ever had.

yellowrose46 01-24-2013 07:05 AM

Gail, you have a wonderful variety of plants. I don't think I could live without some greenery in my house at least. I need to post a photo of my African violets too.

armadillo 01-24-2013 11:29 AM

My Mother used to grow African violets in tea cups.

mamaxsix 01-24-2013 12:37 PM

I've had African Violets before, but this one is simply amazing. It blooms a lot and with many blooms each time. It really needs to get moved to a bigger pot, but I'm afraid to mess it up!

armadillo 01-24-2013 01:04 PM

The only think I know about African violets is that you aren't supposed to get the leaves wet.

Cook22 01-25-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo (Post 19962422)
The only think I know about African violets is that you aren't supposed to get the leaves wet.

Been there, done that. Yours look great, Gail. I like the last photo. That's definitely an added bonus of your remodel.I used to be so good - but in this house I have been a disaster with almost everything. Well, the light's not good either, but it's more me forgetting to water things.

yellowrose46 01-25-2013 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's right. The way I water mine is to set them in a basin of luke warm water up to within an inch of the top of the pot and leave them there for about 15 minutes, until I can feel that the top of the soil is a moist. I have 5 of them right now, but only two are blooming.

Cook22 01-26-2013 01:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went into the supermarket yesterday to get a pot plant to bring as a gift this weekend - the little chrysanthemums. I like hyacinths myself - love the smell. But I had a mile and half walk home in the rain, so I was only getting essentials :D.
Lots of orchids there too!!

armadillo 01-26-2013 03:52 AM

I like the second photo best.

yellowrose46 01-26-2013 03:59 AM

I love hyacinths too, and have lots of them in my outdoor flowerbeds! But you can never go wrong with Chrysanthemums. They last a long time and are so cheerful looking.

mrslaporte 01-31-2013 03:48 AM

Just found this thread and think it may help me with becoming a better photographer. I have several houseplants. My philodendrons do the best... those things really grow. It is too dark to take good photos right now at my house. BBL.

yellowrose46 01-31-2013 08:17 AM

Welcome Marilyn.....looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

armadillo 01-31-2013 11:23 AM

Welcome Marilyn and be sure to check out the other photo challenges. Hope to see your photos soon.

mrslaporte 02-01-2013 01:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I decided to select a photo that I took in Sept. 2010 of an "Alaskan Orchid" as my mom calls it. I'm not convinced she has the name correct but it's a favorite plant for it's ease and beauty.

mrslaporte 02-01-2013 01:27 AM

Went back and reread the rules... opps. Current photos... that may be trickier. It appears dark in my home before work and after dinner, times when a fun thing like taking pictures comes to mind. I'll try again though. BRB

mrslaporte 02-01-2013 01:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So here are two photos I took yesterday and enhanced by using iphoto on my laptop. I wouldn't brag about either one but still wanted to give it try.

yellowrose46 02-01-2013 07:47 AM

Marilyn, your ivy is obviously in the right location as it seems to be thriving! I love you 'Alaskan orchid' photos too.....there certainly were a lot of blooms on it! It was o.k. to post those old photos, seeing as you are a newbie here. I must admit, we sometimes sneak old photos in too.

Cook22 02-02-2013 01:00 PM

Hmm, I too wouldn't be sure that that first one is an orchid but it surely is a lovely plant.
And I really like not just the trailing one in your second photos but all those intriguing treasures in your cabinet. Are those china "gingerbread" houses?
And as the others have said, welcome in!!

c-mouse 02-03-2013 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House Plants???? I've have to get in the fridge and look for something moldy---LOL! House plants and I don't get along at all ( probably because I water them once and then forget about them....)
So I have a photo anyway.... he was planted on the prairie---LOL! From a photo shoot I participated in last weekend....Bison and Elk...much fun...very cold....would do it again in a heartbeat.

yellowrose46 02-03-2013 03:07 PM

Pansy, that is an awesome photo and what a great opportunity to see these noble animals! One question....where is the snow?

c-mouse 02-03-2013 04:15 PM

There wasn't any.....bummer...the group that went today was able to have light snow on the ground for background.......Kansas usually receives most of it's snow in March...at here in Western Kansas where I live.