Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #138 ~ Inspiration: Ars Poetica {08/23/2011} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-138-%7E-inspiration-ars-poetica-%7B08-23-2011%7D-t536175.html)

Cook22 08-22-2011 10:40 PM

Photo Challenge #138 ~ Inspiration: Ars Poetica {08/23/2011}

5 Attachment(s)
We have inspiration challenges over in the card-making side - so how about an inspiration challenge here. I must admit I struggle with them when it comes to card-making. I feel I am meant to be recreating my inspiration piece rather than just being inspired by it, and have to force myself to loosen up a bit. Well, we can't recreate a poem in pictures, but there is some wonderful imagery in this poem to be inspired by. In fact I found it when I was looking for something to pair with photos of birds in flight.

Ars Poetica by Archibald MacLeish

A poem should be palpable and mute
As a globed fruit,

Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb,

Silent as the sleeve-worn stone
Of casement ledges where the moss has grown—

A poem should be wordless
As the flight of birds.
A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs,

Leaving, as the moon releases
Twig by twig the night-entangled trees,

Leaving, as the moon behind the winter leaves,
Memory by memory the mind—

A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs.
A poem should be equal to:
Not true.

For all the history of grief
An empty doorway and a maple leaf.

For love
The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea—

A poem should not mean
But be.

I'd have loved to find a quince for the globed fruit, but although I checked the only quince tree I know of around here, there was nothing on it. Rowan berries are certainly globed fruit and will do to be going on with. I have another fruit to add later, and some grass, but I have one more photo to take after work.

armadillo 08-23-2011 08:51 AM

Nice photos, Yikes, this is a toughy, at lest for me.

Cook22 08-23-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo (Post 18654050)
Nice photos, Yikes, this is a toughy, at lest for me.

Well, your moon shot would have been perfect :D. An old coin? An empty doorway - I feel you've had some of those in those old village shots.
The maple was a lucky find for me - we don't have many real maple trees, but we just happened to be in a castle garden with a big arboretum at the weekend.

yellowrose46 08-23-2011 09:34 AM

Cool challenge Sabrina. Great poem with lots of imagery. I have to go into the city to pick up some ink for my printer so that I can print out the poem. Got a new printer last week and the color ink cartridge doesn't work!
I love your photos, especially the first one of the bird in flight......so beautiful!

armadillo 08-23-2011 10:26 AM

Oh, are we supposed to find photos to go with your poem? I am soooo dense, I swear my little pea brain retired when I did! lawdy lawdy have mercy on me!

bambi64 08-26-2011 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took these yesterday just for fun... hope this is what you were looking for as i'm not good at inspiration! lol

Cook22 08-27-2011 12:29 AM

Anything at all goes once you were inspired by the poem, Amber :D. As I said, I really struggle with the inspiration challenges when it comes to cards.
And I love shots looking up through trees - they're always good in my book.

armadillo 08-29-2011 11:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are my inspiration photos. The first and last photos were taken at La Posada Hotel. The first moon photo was in Wickenburg and the second one I took about 5:15 in the morning from my carport. When I came out to get the paper I saw the moon behind the clouds, ran back into the house, got my tripod, put the longer lens on my camera and put in a battery then rushed back outside. Of course, the durn moon or clouds moved!

armadillo 08-29-2011 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my other two inspiration photos both taken at La Posada Hotel.

yellowrose46 08-30-2011 07:24 AM

Audrey, great inspiration photos. They are all great, but the moon shot is amazing. Love the clouds in with the moon! I still haven't got out to take any pictures, and today I go up to a friend's cottage, so maybe I'll get a chance to take some photos, but won't get them uploaded until Thursday evening.

Cook22 08-30-2011 09:34 AM

The moon shot is WOW. I love the empty doorway too.
The first one, they almost look like peppercorns, and the cottonwood cedar leaves make me want to reach in and feel them.
I have two shots I must take before we go on holidays at the weekend - I've just been under the weather a bit.

Cook22 09-01-2011 02:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Dumb as an old medallion to the thumb - a coin isn't exactly a medallion, but this one is so worn that it's dumb to the thumb, though it certainly tells a story. The date on the coin is 1817 - I found it with some old family stuff with dates in the late 1800's, so I imagine that's when it was found and put aside.
The other medal was my great grandfather's, and taking the photo has inspired me to do some research. I always wondered how come it says Boston on the front, but the inscription on the back with the date is Killarney, in the southwest here. As far as I can make out it must have been from a major Irish literary and cultural festival. You can see the old Irish script, which was pretty much phased out by the time I was learning the language.

armadillo 09-01-2011 04:57 AM

The coin and medallion look quite interesting.

Maria1955 09-29-2011 12:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230266 Attachment 230267

I have a leaf and a doorway. Moon rising and darkness falling.
Still working on the others.

Birds silent
A Globed Fruit

armadillo 09-29-2011 07:19 PM

I like your first photo. Awesome moon shot, what lens did you use?

Cook22 09-29-2011 10:03 PM

I really like the second one - I've always liked shots looking up into a tree, but having the big leaf in the foreground is something I've never tried and it looks fabulous. Love the moon shot too.

yellowrose46 10-01-2011 11:53 AM

Maria, I love the way you photographed that leaf! Love the moon shot too.

yellowrose46 10-11-2011 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the moon and the tops of the night entangled trees.

armadillo 10-11-2011 08:01 PM

Ina I like your moon shot and those clouds covering it.

Cook22 10-14-2011 11:17 AM

Great clouds there too, Ina.

Cook22 11-07-2011 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went out a bit late to take the washing off the line and spotted this...

armadillo 11-07-2011 09:37 AM

Cool shot!

yellowrose46 11-08-2011 06:40 AM

I love it Sabrina!