Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #131- Buggin’ Out {06/13/11} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-131-buggin%92-out-%7B06-13-11%7D-t530560.html)

ShaddyBaby 06-13-2011 08:03 AM

Photo Challenge #131- Buggin’ Out {06/13/11}

3 Attachment(s)
Photo Challenge #131- Buggin’ Out {06/13/11}
Photo challenge # 131. I'm so excited to be hosting another challenge. It has been way back since this first started when I did a couple. The challenge this week is to get out there and find some insects or spiders. I love taking macro pictures of insects. I find they are much easier to take pictures of than people because (as long as they aren’t fast moving ones) they stay put for me to take multiple pictures of them until I feel I have the best shot. I never have a shortage of dead bugs to photograph either. I’m a teacher and we do a class bug collection. You just catch them in a Ziploc and throw them in the freezer. When you’re ready just take out the bag and pin them for the collection. We also have Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches for class pets. I started with two and now I have about 45! So I can’t wait to see the insects in your area.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at anytime..
~ Again -
HAVE FUN

My pictures: 1. This picture is a bug I found floating in my friend’s swimming pool. Of course I scooped him out and brought him home to take a picture. 2. I posted this one before but I took it last week while out searching for things to shoot. The red color caught my eye so I snapped a few shots. 3. This is a praying mantis that I shot while he was walking around on the back of my house. It was so funny because he just stopped and posed for me, turning his head back and forth to try and figure out what I was doing. I actually won a contest with this shot.

Cook22 06-14-2011 12:12 AM

Love the mantis one!
Not madly into insects, but I'm sure I'll find something in the garden. Spiders I don't mind because we really don't have any nasties over here :D.

bambi64 06-14-2011 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh, wow! I'm glad i got a picture of the dragonfly that i saw walking our backyard yesterday afternoon. We are in the process of moving and spent all day at our new place painting etc. I took a breather and walked our yard to see what flowers were growing and what was what. Happen to follow this little guy and manage to get a shot of him when he landed. If I had known about the challenge then (no internet there yet), I would have tried to get him in motion as he had such beautiful wings.

ShaddyBaby 06-14-2011 07:00 AM

That's a great dragonfly pic! It is very difficult to get pictures of flying insects because it seems when I just about get the shot framed up the way I want it the insect flys away. You did great!

yellowrose46 06-14-2011 01:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cool challenge. Your bug photos are great Michelle! Amber, I agree, the dragonflies have gorgeous wings, but your photos till shows the beautiful color. We were on a garden tour on Sunday, and I didn't realize that I had taken bug photos until I uploaded my photos today. I actually took these photos to add to the 'Buds' challenge of a few weeks ago. Now I discover that there are bugs on the buds! The first photo was of an unusual plant and I don't know what kind of bug that is either. the second is of course a peony bud with ants.

ShaddyBaby 06-14-2011 03:19 PM

Isn't it funny how those little bugs sneak in the photo. I have a few flower pictures that have a guest appearence from a bug too. I like that though, when the focus isn't on the bug but there they are. Great pictures!

Cook22 06-15-2011 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I like finding insects in photos like that - I think I have plenty.
Gorgeous dragonfly, I like the blue ones the best. Last year I came across a huge brown one, almost like a tiny bird.

Nothing very exciting from me - a fly on the (dirty) window while I was watching the birds before work yesterday, and a poor dead bumblebee I saw on the way home today. My point-and-shoot doesn't really do macro shots :(.

I'll keep looking for something more artistic :D. I saw a sparrow at my aunts trying to catch some big insect yesterday, wish I knew what it was. It was so ungainly, the sparrow!!

ShaddyBaby 06-15-2011 08:02 PM

I love the blue sky behind the fly. You did a great job with your shots even though you said your camera doesn't take great macro.

princessdi69 06-16-2011 11:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of bug photos I have taken... I don't mind bugs as long as they don't land on me..

ShaddyBaby 06-16-2011 05:57 PM

These are all great pictures but I LOVE the daisy picture with the butterfly. Just beautiful!!!

yellowrose46 06-16-2011 06:18 PM

Some amazing photos Diana! I love the butterfly.daisy, but also the second photo where the body of the dragonfly looks like gold!

Cook22 06-17-2011 01:19 AM

That golden looking dragonfly is amazing!!

princessdi69 06-17-2011 04:08 AM

Thanks Ladies... We have a lot of dragonflies flying around, mainly by the pool (no it's not icky green water, lol). The first dragonfly photo he is sitting on a pair of my sons goggles.

Cook22 06-19-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well - I've been looking everywhere outside and not finding much.
But when I went to get some soy sauce out of a kitchen press yesterday, this big spider was in residence. It was hard to get a good angle, I didn't really want to have to take everything out!

armadillo 06-19-2011 05:15 PM

Looks like a Daddy Long legs Sabrina.

Cook22 06-20-2011 06:11 AM

No wings, though. That was my first thought when I saw it, but I took a few good looks. Just as well, too - I really don't mind spiders but there's something about daddy longlegs that freaks me out mildly. Any time I find the larvae when I'm gardening I always dig them up and leave them out for the birds :D.

ShaddyBaby 06-20-2011 09:26 AM

Great find with the spider. It seems anytime I'm looking for insects or spiders I can't find them but when I stop they all come out of hiding.

Alcojo94 06-20-2011 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took this picture of a butterfly on a dandelion over the weekend.

armadillo 06-20-2011 08:27 PM

Is that a zebra swallowtail?

Alcojo94 06-20-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo (Post 18444023)
Is that a zebra swallowtail?

Its a Canadian tiger swallowtail. We had a big out break of them this yr. Usually happens every few yrs. I love to watch them in the yard going from flower to flower(or in the case of the dandelions, weed to weed :) )

Cook22 06-21-2011 12:14 AM

Beautiful!! We've seen swallowtails in Greece, but we don't have them here. How lovely to have them in your yard.

princessdi69 06-21-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcojo94 (Post 18443858)
I took this picture of a butterfly on a dandelion over the weekend.

Beautiful butterfly photo.

yellowrose46 06-22-2011 09:03 AM

Sabrina, I love your daddy long legs shot....even though it was hard to find a good angle, you got a great one, even managing a shadow! Lisa, I love the swallowtail photo....your got such amazing detail in this picture!

Cook22 06-30-2011 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Neither of these is as good as it could be! The problem with the bumblebee was that on any small flower, its weight just rocked the flower too much, but with the foxgloves there was a very small window of opportunity before they disappeared out of view! This was at my aunt's cottage last weekend.

The butterfly was in the park this morning - they were right down near the roots of the grass, so you wouldn't know they were there till they flew up just in front of you.

bambi64 08-17-2011 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to go grab the soccer ball to play with the puppy, thankful I looked before picking it up! Made the kids run back inside to get my camera.

armadillo 08-17-2011 05:19 PM

Are those cicadas?

bambi64 08-17-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo (Post 18637635)
Are those cicadas?

Yup. Figured he had just come out of his skin as he didn't really "fly" away. Got some shots of him in the grass to while he tried to get "his barrings"

armadillo 08-17-2011 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last week I drove up to Flagstaff to visit the arboretum and observatory. The bee on the flower was at the observatory.

Cook22 08-18-2011 12:15 AM

I have only ever once managed to actually see a cicada - that's a great shot, Amber. It must have been fascinating to watch.
I saw a lot of insects around the echinacea last week - the day I accidentally deleted some of my photos. I did have one for this challenge :-(, little waspy-like insects clustering on a dandelion. I really like the swirly shape of the petals in that shot.

yellowrose46 08-18-2011 04:50 AM

Sabrina, I really love your bee in the foxglove shot. you managed to catch the see through wings....amazing how those gossamer wings can propel such a dense body through the air! The more closely I look at God's creatures, the more amazed I am at His creation!
Amber, I love your shot of the cicadas....first time I ever saw them, although I do listen to them often!

bambi64 08-18-2011 06:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up of the cicada in the grass. And then my favorite shot of a funky caterpiller.

Cook22 09-21-2011 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It was mostly birds we saw on holidays. I only saw one mosquito but a lot more saw me - the bites have only just stopped itching.
These were both around on a wet rainy day - the grasshopper inside the tent, the bug outside.

busyscrappermom 09-25-2011 07:32 PM

bugs and things

4 Attachment(s)
here are a few! ENJOY

Cook22 09-26-2011 11:21 AM

That second one is amazing - looks like metal, and I really like the first dragonfly/chaser.

Maria1955 09-29-2011 02:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Maybe OK for this, First is the snail, slow moving enough for me. The other two are by shear luck. The bees decided I posed no threat to them while collecting their honey.

Attachment 230286 Attachment 230287
Attachment 230288

armadillo 09-29-2011 08:17 PM

Good shots.

Cook22 07-08-2014 01:52 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Dragonflies and some sort of darter/hawker/skimmer (haven't managed to ID it yet), and various bee-types including a bumblebee.