Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo challenge #117 Landmarks {03/08/11} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-117-landmarks-%7B03-08-11%7D-t522332.html)

yellowrose46 03-08-2011 08:27 AM

Photo challenge #117 Landmarks {03/08/11}

Photo challenge #117 Landmarks. What is your town, city, village or area known for? If you were to meet someone away from home and told them where you where from, would they say, "Oh yes that's where the famous zoo (San Diego) is". When you say, Niagara Falls, the city is synonymous with the actual waterfall that gives the city a name. I have no actual photos at the present time, but will be back with pictures later.

Cook22 03-08-2011 10:46 PM

I think I'll have to take a trip in to the city centre for this, so that may not be this week. Not sure if I can see our Millennium monument from work...
It will be interesting to see what people come up with for this. Oh, I wish we were in Paris :D.

yellowrose46 03-09-2011 04:50 AM

I haven't come up with a photo yet....was on my way yesterday, when I dropped in on my DD to pick up my scanner and ended up staying for a visit and going out to dinner with them. By then it was dark!

yellowrose46 03-09-2011 11:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
O.K. Our town was founded by Scottish settlers. Hence the name Fergus. The town's main claim to fame is our Highland Games held in August. A couple of years ago the name was changed to Scottish Festival. I enjoy volunteering at the festival nearly every year....missed one year in the past 15. I usually do washroom duty, but last year I stood in the hot sun and collected money for parking. I don't have any actual photos from the festival, but our town welcome sign has the following pictures.
The band playing in front of the library, some kilted festival guests, and the entire sign.

Alcojo94 03-09-2011 02:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I live 20 mins north of Wasilla AK so my first photo is the question I get the most. Not trying to be political, just the truth! Whenever people find out where I'm from the questions just start coming about the most famous resident. The photo is a crop of the photo that makes up my avatar, and was taken at a 9/11 ceremony in Wasilla.

The town over from me hosts the start of the Iditarod and every yr we go out to a local lake that the trail crosses to watch the teams go by. A lot of people are familiar with this famous race and I get a lot of questions about it. The first picture is Ray Redington Jr, whose grandfather cofounded the race. Ray is currently in 9th place.The last one is of Robert Nelson, from Koztebue AK, who is currently in 1st place. These positions are current as of 2:18pmAKST and will probably change :)

Alcojo94 03-09-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 18053626)
O.K. Our town was founded by Scottish settlers. Hence the name Fergus. The town's main claim to fame is our Highland Games held in August. A couple of years ago the name was changed to Scottish Festival. I enjoy volunteering at the festival nearly every year....missed one year in the past 15. I usually do washroom duty, but last year I stood in the hot sun and collected money for parking. I don't have any actual photos from the festival, but our town welcome sign has the following pictures.
The band playing in front of the library, some kilted festival guests, and the entire sign.

Very cool! How big is the festival?

yellowrose46 03-09-2011 11:14 PM

Lisa, your photos are great! Love the dog sled pictures and that you actually were able to photograph the contestants!
Our Scottish Festival starts on Friday evening with a mulitple band tattoo, which ends with all of them playing 'Amazing Grace' as all the viewers light their candles. Its a wonderful sight to see all the lit candles around the field. Saturday and Sunday they have all sorts of events....Highland dancing, heavy lifting contests, such as caber tosses, etc. and all around you can hear the bagpipes! Lots of people come from all over...even some from Scotland and numerous states. I really couldn't tell you how many people attend, but it's lots. The arena grounds are on the edge of town and we always use a neighbouring farmer's field for additional parking.

Cook22 03-11-2011 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Those are all great photos. My Scottish granddad emigrated to Canada somewhere along the way.
Got to laugh at Sarah Palin in the context of the challenge, but it certainly fits. Love the husky ones.

Without going all the way into town I reckoned that these are pretty iconic for Dublin. I'd like to get some of the Georgian doors, but they're on the posher side of town :D.

I think I posted a picture of James's Gate for another challenge, but it's a while back so here it is again. The second photo is the actual house that Arthur Guinness lived in.

yellowrose46 03-11-2011 10:24 PM

Wow! Sabrina, that's a house? It looks more like a castle to me. It's huge! No matter that you posted a photo of the gate before, I love seeing it again anyway.

Cook22 03-12-2011 05:07 AM

It's offices now, some of it, but I think a fair bit is empty. The same type of red bick building extends from the gate up as far as some of the more functional brewery buildings.

armadillo 03-12-2011 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first is Hole in the Rock at Papago Park. During WW II the park was used to detain German POWs. Ancient Indians used the hole in the rock to mark equinoxes, soltices, etc. The second image is Mystery Castle built all from recycled/found materials back in 1929. It took Boyce Luther Gulley 15 years to build the "castle".

yellowrose46 03-12-2011 08:39 PM

Wow! Your photo of the Hole in the Rock is amazing! I love the colors and the reflections! You got a wonderful angle of the hole in the rock. That 'castle' is very interesting too!

armadillo 03-13-2011 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, Ina, I cheated a bit on both photos. Late morning to mid-afternoon is the worst time to photograph. The originals of the two photos, in my opinion, were good but they were flat due to the time of day soooo I used Topaz Lab's plug-in Adjust. This is what the Hole in the Rock looked like before using Topaz. Mystery Castle was also flat.

Cook22 03-14-2011 10:14 AM

That Hole in the Rock is amazing. It looks like something you'd see in Australia.
We have an underground passage tomb here that was used for marking one of the equinoxes - just occasionally there's enough sunshine for the few lucky people to get admittance to see it in action.
The Castle sounds fascinating - an interesting story. I went and looked it up to find out more about it.

bleespoorpa 03-26-2011 01:53 AM

Nice i like it.

armadillo 08-29-2011 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Meteor Crater- nearly 1 mile across, nearly 2.4 miles in circumference and more than 550 feet deep. In the '60s the astronauts trained in the center of the Crater. You almost need to be in the air to really photograph it.

yellowrose46 08-30-2011 07:58 AM

Wow Audrey, this is amazing! Where is it found?

Cook22 08-30-2011 09:23 AM

It still looks pretty amazing in that photo!

armadillo 08-30-2011 12:25 PM

Meteor Crater is south of I-40 and west of Winslow, Arizona. It's about a two and half to three hour drive from Phoenix.

armadillo 06-04-2012 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have always wanted to see this building that is called Tovrea Castle and often the wedding cake house. Last month Phoenix began week-end tours and I went Saturday. Quite interesting and hope to return in the fall or winter for another tour. It was built by Alessio Carraro between 1928 and 1930. He originally build it as a luxury hotel but when he realized it would come to fruition he sold it to E.A. Tovrea's wife. In 1963 the building and land was abandoned and Phoenix eventually bought it from the Tovrea ancestors. Around 1998 Phoenix began doing restoration on the landscaping and building.

Mirabella22 06-06-2012 07:42 PM

Thrombalites at Lake Cliffton

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I live in Western Australia,
The thrombolite-building micro-organisms of Lake Clifton resemble the earliest forms of life on Earth. They are living rocks some even float on the surface when there is plenty of water in the salt lake. They are very fragile and if you walk on one your foot print will remain forever.
Yalgorup National Park lies on the western edge of the Swan Coastal Plain just south of the new Dawesville Channel near Mandurah.

armadillo 06-06-2012 08:00 PM

Welcome Mirabella22. Such an unusual and fascinating site.

Mirabella22 06-06-2012 08:20 PM

Thanks

Hi Armadillo & others,
I love living here in Western Australia we have such a huge state to explore with so many hidden treasures to see.

Cook22 06-07-2012 05:24 AM

Apart from the cactuses, that castle reminds me quite a lot of one particular monastery we've seen in Greece.
Those thrombolites look and sound amazing - thanks for sharing with us here.