Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/)
-   -   Photo Challenge #106~ Getting Decorative {12/21/2010} (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/photography-f217/photo-challenge-106%7E-getting-decorative-%7B12-21-2010%7D-t515275.html)

Cook22 12-21-2010 02:54 AM

Photo Challenge #106~ Getting Decorative {12/21/2010}

3 Attachment(s)
I hope this is a challenge everyone can play along with - seasonal decorations. I have two Advent calendars and I haven't got either of them out this year, although I aim to get the Noah's Ark one out to take another photo for the challenge - once I have the sitting-room all clean and tidy.
We did get a tree this year even though it seems like an extravagance - I love the scent, but I also love all the memories attached to the different decorations.
The primitive jingle-bell snowman is new this year - I got it last week when I went to Birr Castle.
The Venetian glass ornament came from a fair last year.
The little snowmen go back to our very first Christmas when we didn't have a lot of money to spare for decorating the tree, and I knitted a bunch of little snowmen.
Let's see any decorations you have in your home.

Please remember that the point of the challenge is to encourage us to get shooting and take new photos :D.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at anytime..
~ Again - HAVE FUN

And I guess this is the last challenge before Christmas - so I wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

yellowrose46 12-21-2010 07:42 AM

Sabrina, I love all your tree decorations! I'm so glad you have kept the knitted snowmen (great memories) and the venetian glass one is beautiful!
I didn't put up a tree this year, as I worked last weekend, and I work again through Christmas, but I did put up a wreath and also some window decorations. I'll get out to take some pictures later.

armadillo 12-23-2010 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't decorated in over ten years and I probably could drag out the ornaments that I've made and/or bought and take pictures of them but decided to take a picture of a few of my all too numerous Christmas socks that "decorate" my feet.

Cook22 12-24-2010 02:53 AM

It's a great take on the challenge :D.
And you have some wonderful socks. The Grinch ones would suit DH.
I like the green Santa on the left, and oh my - are those owls in the centre?

armadillo 12-24-2010 03:52 AM

Not owls, reindeer with big red noses!

yellowrose46 12-24-2010 05:36 AM

Wow! Audrey, those socks are so cool! Do you get to wear them all? I have only one pair of Christmas socks, and they are getting a little threadbare. I think I'll go out and buy some today......after all, I should wear them to work tonight, right?

armadillo 12-24-2010 06:10 AM

Definitely wear them tonight!! Some of my socks are getting thread bear on the bottoms but they are old. I have enough Christmas socks that I could wear a different pair everyday for about two months starting the day after Thanksgiving, pathetic. There are several pairs, such as the snowmen, that I can wear throughout the winter. I do have two pair that I wear year round. They are the type that come to the ankles and on the back of one pair is a three dimensional snowman head and the other pair has a Santa head. I wear decorative socks year round.

yellowrose46 12-24-2010 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I try to match my socks to my uniform pants, so I do have lots of colorful ones, just not too many with scenes on them.
I buy a Christmas ornament for my kids every year. I went out yesterday to get a few. The silver angel is in honour of our hospital and the hospital gets $5. for each one sold. The second is a scene ornament that was really a bargain and it is so pretty!

JBgreendawn 12-24-2010 07:40 AM

I have never played in a photography challenge, but this looks like a very neat thing to try. you all have some really great shots, loved peeking at the behind the door challenge ( the only other thread i have read all the way through)

(is there a time limit on these challenges?) (like if i go out and find a door to two someday... add them to that thread? or not) and I do not have a photography blog. (yet) maybe sometime when I am better with a digital camera. :)

armadillo 12-24-2010 09:26 AM

Ina, those are beautiful ornaments.
Stacy, welcome and jump in anytime on any challenge as there are no time limits. I also don't have a blog.

JBgreendawn 12-24-2010 01:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay so, these were done hand holding the camera ( Pentax K-7) while it told me i was shaking ( which i knew haha have a tripod may try it again ) these are hanging on a fake tree so, didnt really manipulate anything just crawled around the tree shooting a couple of new ones and an old one. ( the old ones the tin bird, its big enough in the body to put a small gift inside, so its near the floor in case the cat feels like playing)

armadillo 12-24-2010 01:39 PM

Stacy, those are nice ornaments. I have an elderly friend who collects hummingbirds and would love to snatch that one ornament :)

JBgreendawn 12-24-2010 04:47 PM

Thanks, just tried shooting the tree ( with the lights off in the house and just the tree on) not sure i like that shot much may have to do a few more. :)

Merry Christmas!

Cook22 12-25-2010 01:47 AM

That scene one looks beautiful, Ina. The house looks so cosy lit up in the wintery scene.
I just love your chickadee one, Stacy. I've never seen one of those cutaway ornaments in real life.
There are reasonably up-to-date lists of all the challenges at the top of the forum. I sometimes bear older ones in mind when I'm out. I'm still trying to find a water-tower where I can actually stop and take a photo :D.

armadillo 12-25-2010 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to drag out my little prickly pear ceramic cactus and photograph it.

yellowrose46 12-25-2010 04:51 PM

Audrey, that cactus is fun!

Cook22 12-26-2010 02:31 AM

Oh my, that made my smile. My sister would love it - she has chilli pepper Christmas lights :D.

c-mouse 12-27-2010 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ON good years we have 3 trees....one upstairs and two in the basement. One of the basement ones began when our youngest son/child requested his own tree for his 18th birthday and wanted to decorate it with all his Star Wars ornaments and stuff......of course he was just following my lead....Our main tree has cardinals, snowmen and Santa's on it with just a very few other ornaments (like the 3 we bought on our honeymoon) and the other tree is my MOUSE tree. Everything on it is a mouse of somekind and all the ornaments were given to me by friends and students or were handmade by me. Here is the mouse tree and just for fun, I'll attach my M&M village which has outgrown the space available in the kitchen and so has to be set up in the basement also.

armadillo 12-27-2010 07:49 PM

Those are cute.

Cook22 12-28-2010 07:13 AM

Those look amazing! I'll have to check them out again upstairs where I can zoom in better. The mouse tree looks like a whole bunch of fun - the Star Wars one must have been pretty cool.

katiedoodlesgran 12-28-2010 08:15 AM

I love christmas I love shopping at christmas, I love decorating, the cooking, baking, family & celebrating Jesus. I could look at Your christmas pictures all day....
so keep them coming! LOL

I used to have a tree in every room and this is how the family room was decorated. we sold our big house and moved into a much much smaller house. so I gave my children most of my decorations.... OK I kept 10 totes) LOL
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...AS2005copy.jpg
This is one from this year just yesterday. this is an ornament I painted one for every person on my christmas list last year. this was an extra I got to keep 3. I love gingies.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ran/gingie.jpg

girlzclubstampers 12-28-2010 02:11 PM

Lovely decoration photos, ladies!! =)

yellowrose46 12-28-2010 04:12 PM

Pansy, I love all your mice! Kathy, gorgeous Christmas decorations last year. You kept 10 totes? I only have one tote full of decorations for the whole tree!
I love the darling gingerbread ornament. I'm sure your family will treasure them too!

katiedoodlesgran 12-28-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

You kept 10 totes?
well it is probably more like 7. DH says it's 10.... My big Christmas tree is a chicago pencil pine 7.5 feet and turns around in a base so I decorate allllllll of my tree. it is pre lit and I add extra lights. my ornaments alone fit into a Large tote that is 1 tree I still have the other small tree in the first photo and it has all gingerbread ornaments & candy ornies on it they all go into a smaller tote. the rest are decorations I have not got out in a while due to limited space here. I have a 3 foot animated coca cola santa that I love. animated dolls, the big santa I gave frosty to my Daughter..... I have a ton of sants all sizes.

Cook22 12-29-2010 12:28 AM

I see another gingerbread man behind your lovely handmade decoration :D. Great depth of field, and I just love the effect of all the lights. I don't think you can ever have too many lights on a tree, I just wish you could have them without all the wires. I'm closer to Ina, I have one bag of lights and one of all our ornaments and that's it.

huldap 12-29-2010 05:38 PM

I saw this challenge and wanted to post one of my pictures. My husband and I always take our boys to The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC, to look at the gingerbread houses. But I usually spend more time looking at all the christmas trees they have decorated there. This picture is of ornaments from one of the trees.

hm....I guess I can't post pictures from my facebook album....I'll be right back...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/IMG_8157.jpg

armadillo 12-29-2010 05:56 PM

Hulda, those are gorgeous ornaments.

huldap 12-29-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo (Post 17740566)
Hulda, those are gorgeous ornaments.

I wish they were mine, The Grove Park Inn has a store that sells some of the ornaments they've got on their trees...but I didn't see these :( I would have at least bought the bird.

MelissaL 12-29-2010 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK this isn't my decor, nor is it my tractor, but I have been passing this awesome decorated tractor on my way to work for the past few weeks. We have a farmers parade of lights here in a town close to us every year and they go all out decorating their tractors, combines and such. I will take some pictures of favoured ornies and post them up here soon. I don't have a lot of experience with night photography, so it's fun to get the opportunity.

katiedoodlesgran 12-29-2010 09:06 PM

Hulda the ornies are gorgeous! Love the lights on the tractor.

Cook22 12-30-2010 02:19 AM

What gorgeous glass decorations - I'd have bought the bird too! Shame you didn't see it for sale.
Cool tractor - I've certainly never seen anything like that over here.

Cook22 12-30-2010 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw these in a garden down the road just before Christmas. I liked the jumbled combination, and the Santa inside looking at the one outside.

yellowrose46 12-30-2010 01:42 PM

Hulda, that is a gorgeous shot......I also would have bought the glass bird! Love the tractor shot, Mel.....I hope it's lit when I pass by on New Year's!
Sabrina, that is a wonderful shot......love the inside and outside views!

katiedoodlesgran 01-01-2011 07:59 PM

Another ornie shot with textures added in PSE7

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...1a996b67d7.jpg
Merry Christmas by kamdlm, on Flickr

My Grandmothers elf. This one is as old/young as I am. It is from my Grandmothers tree.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5007/...4a5fdf0e6a.jpg

Cook22 01-02-2011 12:32 AM

Great shots, Kathy - I think they'd make good Christmas cards. Especially the top one, although obviously the elf has more personal meaning.

armadillo 01-02-2011 03:47 AM

Kathy, my Mother also had elves like that.

MelissaL 01-02-2011 06:06 AM

Beautiful pictures, Kathy! I love that the lights are blurred in the background and the focus is on the ornies. The little elf is adorable!

katiedoodlesgran 01-02-2011 07:31 AM

thank you ladies. I learned it on a different board you can bring your ornament closer to you and away from the tree and it blurs your lights and gives you pretty Bokeh. I took these one day when I was trying it out. I used a small step stool with a piece of greenery on the top part and hung the ornie on the greenery. took the picture. I think it was on the 2 Ps site. I am sorry I dont remember who posted it but she showed photos of how to do it.

mungojerry 02-01-2011 03:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to reorient the sideways picture. :rolleyes:

katiedoodlesgran 02-01-2011 04:31 PM

wonderful shots. I love the soft glow on the angel.