Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Photo Challenge #149 'Uncharted Territory' {Feb. 7, 2012}

Photo Challenge # 149 'Uncharted Territory'. The uncharted territory will be someplace new for you......a road you have never traveled, a lake you have never before seen, a path you have never walked, or even a building you have never visited before.
Here is what inspired this challenge: I am dog sitting this week while my friends are on holiday in Florida. Sierra is a Boxer/Mastiff cross, so she is strong and heavy (90 pounds) The neighbouring farm has a new dog and the owner feels that because he is a farm dog, he should not have to be tied up or confined, so this large 8 month old dog has been following us and Sierra is always straining at the leash to be with that dog. I decided I don't need my arms wrenched out of their sockets, so I have taken the opposite routes, one of which is down a shorter cottage road than I usually travel. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the end. The road ends at a cottage. Today, Sierra dragged me onto the cottage property, and at the edge, I noticed a roped off area and a sign. There was actually a path that continued. I have lived here for 22 years and never knew that! My photos are in the next post.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at any time..
~ Again - HAVE FUN
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

My photos: The first is the sign that first alerted me that I might find a path. Second photo is is Sierra wondering if the little makeshift bridge was safe. the third is of a beautiful vista of the lake as we came over a rise. We had actually come out of the woods and were on a road again. It was the fourth line cottage road, which I had never been on....after all, I live just off the 3rd line cottage road and walk along it all the time, so what need have I to get in my car and drive a mile to find another cottage road!
Then among all the cottages (some bigger than my house!) I found an original farm house. The lake is man made, after a dam was built in 1943. This house was on the original road and the last photo shows part of that original road, going into the lake. In the spring when the lake is filled with snow runoff, you wouldn't be able to see that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8752.jpg (51.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8732.jpg (53.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8742.jpg (32.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8744.jpg (59.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8745.jpg (43.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a few more photos of my afternoon adventure. the first one is of a really cool window in the farmhouse shed. The second one is of a dock with a rowboat on top. These docks are pulled up in the fall and kept above the high water line. I really like this shot because of the old wheel and also the dark sky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8749.jpg (49.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8748.jpg (41.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Right - sounds like the time to go and check out an area of the park I am not familiar with!! Some of those photos are wonderful, Ina - I'd have the one of the farmhouse window on my wall - and the wheel one. I also love the lake shots. The sign looks as if it would be easy to miss, how lucky that you spotted it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Ina, I don't blame the dog for eyeing that rickety bridge. Love that big ol' house and the window. Here are a few I took on Saturday. Arizona, as a state, is turning 100 on valentine's day and they had a bunch of stuff going on downtown over the weekend. Wish I could attend tomorrow's festivities. It's been 17 years since I've been near the capitol and saw that there have been a lot of changes so I think these might qualify. Actually I have never been to the Pioneer-Military Cemetery. The pioneer section has some of the people who settled Phoenix and those who fought in various wars (Mexican war, Civil war, Indian campaigns, and others) are buried in the military section. I'll have to make a trip back down after all the festivities are over. The first photo is the Fallen Soldier Cross and the second photo is a memorial to the fallen peace officers. The last three are of the Pioneer-Military Cemetery.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Great angle in the second shot! I am so envious of your blue skies, we've had so much grey!!
I really like the sculpture in the first shot, and the wooden grave marker.

I keep thinking about this challenge, but I had a stinky headache all last week and wasn't going to drive anywhere. My other problem is that there is somewhere I want to go in the nearby park, but they've been doing roadworks there since November - apparently they found something of architectural significance which has delayed the work. I'm not sure if I can easily get where I want till all the detours are over.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Cardstock Collector

I would like to...but I don't do money plus activities. Have anything else?
cash poor crafter, using what I have on hand.

Ribbon Of A Different Color
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Not at all what I had in mind, but the weather here has been so uncooperative.
This is onstage in a theatre in Lisburn in the North of Ireland, DH's first paying concert. Definitely a building I've never visited before . I could only take photos during the rehearsal, though, as I was given the chance to sing in the chorus. When we were going up for the second concert I was all set to visit an area near DH's work before I met him, but it was pouring rain. It's an area of the docks that was renovated and developed in the last few years, and I've still only seen it from the train! One of these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onstage.jpg (33.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg onstage2.jpg (39.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Cool Sabrina, that your DH had a paying gig! And great too that you got to sing in the chorus! Must have been fun! The photos certainly qualify for somewhere you had never been before!
Audrey, I notice that I hadn't commented on your photos yet. I viewed them at work, but don't like commenting from there. I love the beautiful blue skies in your pictures! Interesting photos in the cemetery too!