Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Photo Challenge #147 'Books' {January 4, 2012}

I let the time get away on me. I worked 5 nights thru the New Year's weekend and then had to work one extra (unexpected) night for a colleague who injured her back. On to our next challenge. I love reading books, don't your? More and more, we are doing our reading on electronic devices, and there are so many more things to spend our time on, rather than the relaxing activity of reading. I had intended to get out and take some photos, but haven't had the time. However, this is one photo challenge that can be done entirely at home. Let see some books, or someone in the act of reading.
Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at any time..
~ Again - HAVE FUN
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

My photos; the first one, a small section of my bookshelf. Most of my book shelf has been taken over by stamps! Number two is a great reference book, for dreaming! The third one is the pile of books I am taking back to our church library. I've done a bit of reading over the Christmas season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8604.jpg (68.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8607.jpg (66.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8610.jpg (41.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Great challenge - I'm told I could read almost before I could walk. I had to laugh the time a removal man who'd come to give a quote asked what I did with all the books - what did he think I did with them?? It's terrible weather here, stormy, wet, windy, gloomy. I'll hold out for at least some daylight and then decide which shelf/books to go for. I know a couple already - I have a little New Testament and Psalms from about 1620 with the old plainchant type music in the Psalms half.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
SCS Gallery Moderator

I'm afraid I've gone to town on this one, but I won't upload them all today .
First English edition of the first Babar book, given to my Dad for Christmas when he was 4. I have a couple of French ones similar vintage too.

The overflow of my cookery books - and a mess .

Ever since Fantagraphics started releasing the complete Peanuts collection I've been collecting them.

Foreign language and English reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booksbabar.jpg (51.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg booksbabaropen.jpg (30.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg bookscookery.jpg (70.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg bookspeanuts.jpg (32.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg booksreference.jpg (38.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
SCS Gallery Moderator

The little Bible I mentioned from 1620. The NT opens from one side, and you turn it over and then you have the Psalms - I'm sure there's a name for that sort of binding, but I don't know it. In the V&A museum in London I've seen books with similar embroidered beaded covers that have been restored.

Some of my card photos have a set of old Bibles in the back of them. I think they came from my grandfather's first wife's family. Here's one page to show what they're like inside.

Just because of the titles of these books I had to included them - a series of whodunnits/mysteries set in the book world and featuring a cop/secondhand book dealer.

Well, I've uploaded the thumbs twice and only one is showing. When I look in my Attachments it says In Progress...I'll check back later and see if they've appeared .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg books1620closed.jpg (56.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg books1620open.jpg (50.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg books1620pslams.jpg (49.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg booksilluminated.jpg (105.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg booksbnookman.jpg (52.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Cook22; 01-06-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Great photos Sabrina. I see you are an eclectic reader like I am. The old Bibles are amazing....so detailed and intricate. Can you imagine monks spending their whole lives, copying and decoration a Bible? I think your little 1620 Bible would be worth restoring. I've never touched anything that old!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
SCS Gallery Moderator

Some Irish interest in this set.
The first two are books by my great-grandfather. The swan design was by my grandmother. I can't see any attribution of the cover illustration on the other one, but I think I might know who designed it.
The other three are an old Irish bible. Unlike the big leather ones I don't know how this came to be in our family, but a bit of detective work (knowing someone who was from the O'Brien clan ) helped me to track down some interesting history about the person who's name is inscribed in the bookplate. She was born in 1845, and in 1849 her father was transported to Tasmania. He had returned to Ireland by 1863 when he gave her the Bible. The curious thing is that they weren't an Irish speaking family, but they would have been very supportive of Douglas Hyde and his work towards reviving the Irish language (use of which had been severely suppressed by the British). The same Charlotte O'Brien must have been in Canada at some stage, I guess, because she was involved in setting up hostels there for emigrant women.
Modern Irish uses the same alphabet as English, since about the middle of the 20th century, but the older Irish script was slightly different as you can see in a couple of the photos - it's the old script you'd see in illuminated manuscripts.
Here endeth the history lesson .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booksclir.jpg (66.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bookslovesongs.jpg (66.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg booksib1.jpg (59.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg booksibopen.jpg (64.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg booksibbookplate.jpg (37.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Sabrina, what can I say? Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing these with us! what a wealth of history you have there and it is very personal too! To think you can hold these books that have been held and treasured by your ancestors is so amazing!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Well, my lazy self finally photographed some of my old books. The first two books in the first photo are from 1936 and 1937; the other one is from the 50s and they all belonged to y Mother. A couple weeks ago I read The War Horse and had planned to photograph that but forgot The other books (except for a couple) were all bought on my various vacations to the southwest. I really enjoyed seeing the other books, some really nice antiques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #147-books-1.jpg (138.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg #147-books-2.jpg (135.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg #147-books-3.jpg (159.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg #147-books-4.jpg (141.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
SCS Gallery Moderator

You have some very interesting looking books there! I enjoy reading non-fiction (currently reading The Binary Revolution). The fascinating facts about the Civil War does sound fascinating, and some of those exploration books.
Those old cookery books are great too - and in good condition. You've inspired me to pull out a few of my cookery books.
And I had a smile - I recognised the name Bill Mauldin instantly - he features in at least one of Schulz's strips where Snoopy is behind the lines.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Audrey, you have so many cool books! Do you use those vintage cook books?
So many books about your area of the world. As you know, visiting the Grand Canyon has always been on my 'bucket list'.
I attended a retirement seminar last evening, and found out I should have attended one 20 years ago. It was mostly about financial health, but there was also a short session on life style and one of the points was to make a bucket list each year and make sure you mark off at least a few of the items off that year.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

No, Ina, I have never used any of the recipes in those old books, just look at them every few years Actually, ever since a semi rear-ended me and totaled my Suburban I no longer cook, just eat a bunch of junk.

Any time you are ready to come out here, let me know and I'll take you up to the Canyon and perhaps other places. I keep trying to get to the Canyon for some winter pictures but things keep getting in the way.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

No, no, no Audrey! Even though you don't cook, at least you've got to eat healthy foods! Please tell me you will eat more fruits and veggies! I don't cook very much either....not much fun cooking for one, but I do eat lots of fruit, veggies, nuts, healthy teas (green and rooibos). And chocolate.....it's a veggie isn't it? Comes from a cocao bean, that makes it a veggie!
I've set a retirement date......May 6, but I'll probably be busy the first little while, as my newest grandson is due May 7. My DD and her husband will be living near me for the first 10 months or so, and seeing as this is their first baby, they will probably need some help. This will be my first Canadian grandson ( I have 3 Texans)
But after that, I hope to plan a trip to your area!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Ina, I couldn't eat healthy if my life depended on it! I do eat some fruit and nuts though. Congratulations on your soon to be new grandchild and retirement.

September/October or most any time after that would be good. I don't think you want to come in the summer because there will be a gazillion people at the Canyon and I don't run my air-conditioner very much.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
SCS Gallery Moderator

I think this should count as books?? I don't have a smart phone, nor do I aspire to one, but I do know that that little logo downloads something when you scan it with your phone, and I am guessing it's the different books. I walk past here any day I'm in work these days, and I think it only was posted over the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downloadbooks.jpg (50.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Those are some might old books.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Very interesting photo of what I assume is a window poster? It really shows the essence of the old books!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #18
SCS Gallery Moderator

It was actually a poster stuck to a wall. I guess if you had a smart phone and could scan the little code you'd probably be able to download the books. I can't imagine why else they list file sizes.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Cardstock Collector

My photos; the first one, a small section of my bookshelf. Most of my book shelf has been taken over by stamps! Number two is a great reference book, for dreaming! The third one is the pile of books I am taking back to our church library. I've done a bit of reading over the Christmas season!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Kristen9854 the photos aren't showing
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #21
Mad Swapper

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1179.jpg (35.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1180.jpg (28.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for joining our challenge, mungojerry! Looks like you've got some classics there as well as kids books!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

You'll appreciate this one Audrey........
A book my DIL gave me about 10 years ago because she knew I always wanted to go there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8727.jpg (59.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

Ina, that looks like a nice Arizona book. Let me know when you want to come visit; Grand Canyon would be an overnighter if that's OK. It's about a five hour drive from my place, longer if stops are made. Mungojerry, I like your old books. By the way, do you know that you can also do the older challenges?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
Ina, that looks like a nice Arizona book. Let me know when you want to come visit; Grand Canyon would be an overnighter if that's OK. It's about a five hour drive from my place, longer if stops are made. Mungojerry, I like your old books. By the way, do you know that you can also do the older challenges?
Yeah, I know. I'll try to give some a go.