Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Default Photo Challenge #120~ It's a Glass Act {03/28/2011}

I'm posting early because tomorrow looks set to be a busy day, and I'm away three days through the week so I may be slower than usual to catch up with photos.
This was a real technical challenge for me, and I'm still not happy with my shots. I feel I've got better with my old film camera, or maybe I was less fussy because I didn't have the option of trying to improve things . But I also think, from the reading I did last year when I first tried to get a decent photo of that glass bowl, that I need better lights and a glass table or something like that...
Let's see glass - more of those Chihuly scupltures, maybe? A self-portrait, with sunglasses if you don't wear glasses? A glass of wine - on my to-do list...mirrors, anything glass is good.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at anytime..
~ Again - HAVE FUN

Venetian glass beads inherited from my grandmother, with a semi-historical significance because of the giver. I wear them a lot. Not sure where the little Venetiran perfume bottle came from, it was always around the house.

Modern Venetian glass this time - those candies, with the maker's name engraved into them. The little pig isn't Italian at all, he was a gift from pidgesmom to celebrate National Pig Day.

This glass bowl came from the same woman as the book-end a fortnight ago. She had two in her house, a pale blue one and this brown one. The blue one was given away when she had to move into a nursing home, I got this one when my mother and I cleared her room after she died. It's lovely, but impossible to take a good picture of - this is my third attempt in as many years. You get reflections in the silver fish no matter what you do!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venetianbeads.jpg (73.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg glasspig.jpg (23.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg fishbowl.jpg (27.9 KB, 31 views)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I'm posting early because tomorrow looks set to be a busy day, and I'm away three days through the week so I may be slower than usual to catch up with photos.
This was a real technical challenge for me, and I'm still not happy with my shots. I feel I've got better with my old film camera, or maybe I was less fussy because I didn't have the option of trying to improve things . But I also think, from the reading I did last year when I first tried to get a decent photo of that glass bowl, that I need better lights and a glass table or something like that...
Let's see glass - more of those Chihuly scupltures, maybe? A self-portrait, with sunglasses if you don't wear glasses? A glass of wine - on my to-do list...mirrors, anything glass is good.

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at anytime..
~ Again - HAVE FUN

Venetian glass beads inherited from my grandmother, with a semi-historical significance because of the giver. I wear them a lot. Not sure where the little Venetiran perfume bottle came from, it was always around the house.

Modern Venetian glass this time - those candies, with the maker's name engraved into them. The little pig isn't Italian at all, he was a gift from pidgesmom to celebrate National Pig Day.

This glass bowl came from the same woman as the book-end a fortnight ago. She had two in her house, a pale blue one and this brown one. The blue one was given away when she had to move into a nursing home, I got this one when my mother and I cleared her room after she died. It's lovely, but impossible to take a good picture of - this is my third attempt in as many years. You get reflections in the silver fish no matter what you do!!

Stuff the bowl with tissue or other opaque papers..sometimes the reflections are caused from the other side of the bowl.....Worth a try anyway.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-209 done only 283+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-30 and sweating

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
SCS Gallery Moderator

Ah, in this case it's because the fish are a shiny silver inlay, so it's like a mirror, but thanks for the tip.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Try using a reflector across from or diagonally to the fish.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks for posting early Sabrina. I can see this will be a challenge, not in finding subjects, but in the actual photography. I love your colorful beads.....great to wear with a summer dress or top. The pig is really cute to and the glass bowl with the fish is wonderful. I don't have any hints for you in photographing it.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I got a chance to take some pictures today. Number one is a stained glass butterfly my neighbour gave me. I didn't realize how dirty my kitchen window was until I looked at the photo! So the window glass is also part of the challenge, te he!
The second photo is of a candle holder that I got at a garage sale for 50 cents. I took it outside to get a decent photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6240.jpg (58.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6246.jpg (68.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Ina, the candle holder looks antique. I finally photographed some of my glass stuff (and more wood) and will post them shortly.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think the candle holder is an antique although it may be better than 20 years old.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Here are some of my glass stuff. The first is a chandelier in my dining room and the second is one of many DeGrazia stained glass pieces that I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeGrazia stained glass chandalier-DSC_0022.jpg (130.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DeGrazia stained glass -DSC_0025.jpg (87.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Here's the rest. The first is a glass unicorn that I don't recall how I acquired and with it is a hedgehog that my father gave me a bunch of years ago. The next is a panda and the last has a southwest scene and the Saguaro is a bud vase.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness Audrey, you have a wonderful collection of glass pieces! I have a hard time choosing my favourite, but I think I like the saguaro with kokipeli the best!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Ina.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
SCS Gallery Moderator

The candle holder looks as if had once been one of those little kerosene lamps? It may not be antique but it certainly has an old-fashioned look to it.
Armadillo, I love all your collection - I'll have to look up DeGrazie when I have more time. I like all the gold on the unicorn; I have quite a few pieces of Swarovski that DH used to buy me when it was less expensive, but I've never seen glass figures with gilding on them like that
Last night I suddenly remembered what inspired this challenge, and that although I'd dug out a clamp to hold it that was as far as I got...maybe tomorrow will be a sunny day and I can do something about it.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to bambi64

So I wasn't sure about this challenge. It's snowing here so I went outside to take a picture of it and in the corner of my picture was....glass!! So I zoomed in on it and this is what I got..... Have no clue how the one side got busted.. has been like that for a while, nor does the light work no matter how many times we change the bulb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowa3-30-11.jpg (66.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Is it really snowing at your place today Amber? I can't believe the weatherman didn't notice it was almost April! Great photo of the light fixture....to bad it doesn't work.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes it is and it is still snowing too. Bet the light is covered more now. yeah, we have always wished the light worked too.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Pearl-ExPert

I'm such a dolt! Never thought about my lamp being glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass Saguaro lamp-DSC_0001.jpg (126.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Cardstock Collector

Glass bowl with fish,some lights and a captured photo of it with your old photography is a wonderful feeling after few years because the generation of photography is advanced in making inventions and giving betterments for old one that you supposed to make.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
SCS Gallery Moderator

Snow! Good grief...it's April tomorrow. But it's a fabulous shot, I like the graphic lines of the lantern and foreground bushes against the background snowy haze.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Audrey, that is such a cool lamp! You have so many wonderful southwestern treasures in your house. I think that when I get to Ariozna, you won't have to show me around anywhere else but your house!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

cool stuffs... I am so trying (struggling) to "see" the light again, ( been fed up with the auto over exposed thing) and I have a ton of glass i could shoot. but, something has been occurring to me as i play with the f stops and iso and such and shooting things over and over to get the one shot...

what do you guys do with these photos?
or if you have an online album do you have one set aside for things you shoot that are random shots that say don't have your family or a person in them?

is this making sense? Its like I have a whole bunch of graveyard shots now, and or old buildings or just odd things ( partial steel rack behind my office at work) and I dont actually consider the shots I take as good enough to stick a photographer label on my self and Im trying to think of what to do with the photos. because, Im the only person who is seeing them. kwim?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
cool stuffs... I am so trying (struggling) to "see" the light again, ( been fed up with the auto over exposed thing) and I have a ton of glass i could shoot. but, something has been occurring to me as i play with the f stops and iso and such and shooting things over and over to get the one shot...

what do you guys do with these photos?
or if you have an online album do you have one set aside for things you shoot that are random shots that say don't have your family or a person in them?

is this making sense? Its like I have a whole bunch of graveyard shots now, and or old buildings or just odd things ( partial steel rack behind my office at work) and I dont actually consider the shots I take as good enough to stick a photographer label on my self and Im trying to think of what to do with the photos. because, Im the only person who is seeing them. kwim?
I delete a lot.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I'm starting to do that... delete.

but, what about the ones you like or want to share? I seen there is a thread for "photo" blogs and i think, oh i have been neglecting my blog for a while now, and Im not sure a second blog would be the answer for me...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
...but, what about the ones you like or want to share? I seen there is a thread for "photo" blogs and i think, oh i have been neglecting my blog for a while now, and Im not sure a second blog would be the answer for me...
When I have several photos I want to share I create an album on Online Photo Printing, Photo Gifts & More at KODAK Gallery and send that to friends.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #25
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

but, what about the ones you like or want to share? I seen there is a thread for "photo" blogs and i think, oh i have been neglecting my blog for a while now, and Im not sure a second blog would be the answer for me...
I put a lot of mine on Facebook.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Stacy, why don't you just add them to your regular blog, and tag them with 'photos'? I should get back to blogging someday soon as well. I'm going to try to jump into these challenges. Thought I had a local chick to photograph with, but it hasn't really worked out for us -- scheduling issues mostly.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
I'm such a dolt! Never thought about my lamp being glass.
That lamp is outrageous! Way kewl!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #28
Glitter Queen

I'd try turning that bowl about 1/8 of a turn or moving to one side or the other so you don't catch your reflection in the fish portion. Looks like the swirls between the fish would give less reflection than the fish.

I'm supposed to be gardening this afternoon, as it's warm and sunny out, but it's so freaking windy I think I'm going to grab my camera and go photograph something glass!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #29
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Sharon, *waves* Hey Chickie! Thanks! I have to put another coat of paint on the bath trim and inside door and the closet doors then same deal... gonna go play with my camera. (need to make a thank-you card and a birthday card somewhere in that too)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

Sharon, glad to have you on board for photos! I'm eagerly awaiting what you will have to share with us.
We used to have a group of us from work......5 of us, who would set a date and choose a place to take pictures. We would do that a couple of times a year, but haven't been out for quite a while. Three of them have retired from work, and two of us work nights, so it's hard to find a mutually agreeable time. The other gal that works nights hates to get up at 5 a.m. to take sunrise photos....my favorite!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
SCS Gallery Moderator

Stacy, there is an SCS Flickr group - if I wasn't absolutely flattened after the week that was in it I'd go looking for the link for you, but I can barely see straight right now. Mind you, you probably wouldn't want to upload several graveyard shots there any more than you would to your blog. I keep forgetting about it, TBH, but I know it's there. I tend to upload mine to my blog, but only the pick of the bunch. Like armadillo I try to delete and keep only the best - I see the rest as a learning curve. I try to look at the camera settings and see what worked and what didn't, though I'm not methodical enough to keep a notebook. At the end of each month I purge the photos for that month, aiming to keep less than half.
Another option would be to get a digital photo frame and run a slideshow on that somewhere in your house . We don't have one, I make up slideshows to run as my screensaver and change them round from time to time, but having seen them in a couple of houses I think it's quite a good idea.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #32
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Sabrina, I found it {hopefully this will be a better week}
(forget about that site) I have an album there but its stamp space shots mostly...

eta stuck a photo in there for the heck of it, but don't see how to link it from being uploaded by me to included into the scs group ( joined it )
will have to spend more time messing around in there some time.

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 04-03-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #33
SCS Gallery Moderator

A couple more from me. It was when my aunt gave me the little Coddington lens the last time I visited her, and I was amazed at how much it magnified, that I started thinking of using glass for a challenge. Apparently my grandmother used to use the lens for inspecting her plants for bugs. She died when I was eleven and she was in a nursing home for about three years before that, but I always remember her garden and collection of cactuses.

And some little tiny animals (smaller than my little finger) from a Russian stall at a Christmas fair in Paris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coddinngtonmagnifier.jpg (69.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg coddingtonlens.jpg (48.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg glassprocession.jpg (12.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Cook22; 04-05-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #34
Pearl-ExPert

Interesting magnifying class and cute little animules. What types of cactus does Ireland have?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #35
SCS Gallery Moderator

LOL - none that will grow outdoors. Probably the most tropical outdoor tree is the cordyline palm, and with the exceptional snow the last couple of years many of them died. I always remember taking one of the European Union commissioners on a guided tour round a garden - he was tickled by the highly unauthentic palm trees in the Japanese Garden.
My grandmother used to grow cacti in her conservatory - my aunt still has one of them - one of the Old Man's Beard ones. It's almost too tall for the shelf in her conservatory now. There was a great display in the Botanic Gardens, but they're currently renovating that particular glasshouse. Pity - it was one of the few that a camera lens didn't steam up as soon as you entered it.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't think cacti were typical of Ireland
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

Cacti don't grow in Canada either, but my mom used to have quite a collection of them in her windowsill. I remember the first time I went to Austin (almost 13 years ago) I took photos of the same type of cactus that my mom had and she was absolutely stunned to see that they grew 7 feet tall!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #38
Pearl-ExPert

I used to have an Indian Fig Prickly Pear cactus in my back yard that got quite tall, probably 10 feet or more. I kept forgetting to have someone trim it for me and we had some rather strong winds and blew a lot of it over. I was told all the "branches" that came off were over 2,000 pounds. Fortunately it didn't hit my neighbor's house. Eventually I had it removed because I was too lazy to keep it trimmed and too cheap to hire someone to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fallen pricklypear - 2.jpg (60.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg fallen pricklypear - 3.jpg (92.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #39
Pearl-ExPert

Here's more glass from me. The first image is from when the Botanical Garden had the Chihuly Exhibit about four years ago. At the end of the show the Garden bought these three and they are at the entrance. The rest were taken from the new exhibit that was hear from November 2013 through May of this year. I was hoping the Garden would purchase the boat/bauble display in the little lagoon but they didn't.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #40
Pearl-ExPert

One more. The complete exhibit has been dismantled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #120-it's glass act-DSCN0080.jpg (89.9 KB, 2 views)