Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Photo Challenge #10 - Orange you glad... {11-25-08}

the holidays are just around the corner?

First off, let me majorly apologize about running so very late this week! And thank you to those who checked in on me to make sure everything was ok! Our heat went out over the weekend and it just all went downhill from there! Let me tell you it's hard to stamp or type at the computer when its about 55 degrees in your house and dropping!!! I ended up taking today off to spend it with DH (it's his b-day!!) and to get caught up on tons of stuff around the house! Now onto our challenge!

With Thanksgiving this week and people traveling or getting their houses ready for company, I was thinking of something easy - say a color challenge. And orange seems to be pretty fitting for this holiday, wouldn't you say? Pumpkin pie and pumpkin decorations, yams, fall foliage (for those that still have some ) warm blankets and sweaters.... Orange is out there! Can't wait to see what ya'll find!

Photo Challenge Rules:
~ Have FUN with this! There are no right or wrong photos.
~ Take as many pics as you want, share the few you like best.
~ Please share only current photos, taken after the challenge was issued.
~ We CANNOT upload our photos to the SCS galleries. You may upload them as an attachment or host them from your blog or any online photo hosting site. Just provide the direct link to the photo in your post and also make sure that it is not from a password protected album.
~ Just a reminder that we are a family-friendly site if you are sending others off this site to view photos in an album hosted elsewhere.
~ You can jump in and start any of the photo challenges at anytime..
~ Again - HAVE FUN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orange candle sm.JPG (44.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Duckwaddlequack; 11-25-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: spelling issues...story of my life...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Love it! Hope you get warm soon and have a happy day off!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks! We have 4 space heaters going and its toasty now while we are waiting on several estimates. Looks like we might need a whole new unit!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Mississippi McGyver

Angie, I am sorry you have been so cold. I hope you get heat soon. I'm glad you are ok!! Didn't notice you were late, because my computer had a virus over the weekend and just got it up and running.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so sorry for your chilly woes! And new heating units are pricey! Happy birthday to your DH! Guess you'll have to cuddle to keep warm!
This will be a challenge for me as I am more a blues sort of person and Thanksgiving in Canada was last month! I'll have to hunt around for something orange! Thanks for all your interesting challenges!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Hope you are staying warm! Our heater went out a few years ago during a cold spell, so now we all have electric blankets. We've finally had a change in the weather here. It rained all night.

Here is some orange found at Disneyland this week. They turned out more orange at night than they would have during the day, except for the fireworks. I'll look around for more orange. I'm not much of an orange sort of person either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orange2.jpg (44.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg orange3.jpg (48.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg orange4.jpg (22.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Mississippi McGyver

Lisa, those orange photos are great. I love the fireworks one.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Orange is not my favorite color - so I don't think these are not my best... oh, well!! I felt so bad for that poor moth with the broken off wing that I took a picture of it! And, by the way... that's my cat and his name is Stuart... ain't he cute?!

TFL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (39.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0279.jpg (43.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Well, my outside world has disintegrated into white, grey and miserable so I did a few "orange" set ups in my studio today.

The "clementines" I will probably turn into a coloured pencil rendering eventually, the "pencils" has some interesting shapes within the crystal, and the "chinese lanterns" I turned vertically, they were actually laying on the table.

Thanks for looking, I had a great time putting them together and I have a few more yet...

Joann
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oranges.jpg (25.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pencils.jpg (21.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg chinese-lanterns.jpg (20.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Insane Embellisher

The next one is my favorite orange "thing" ever, he was not cooperating today so I cropped most of him out (Simon)

plus a rather poor shot (but the best one I was able to get this season) of a Baltimore Oriole for MSAudreyAnn, taken earlier this year

and the last one of the lily is what I think may be my most professional pic taken since I got my camera, taken this summer.

Enjoy!

...and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simon.jpg (32.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Baltimore-oriole.jpg (24.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg lily.jpg (15.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Insane Embellisher

Stuart meet Simon who also had a dirty nose so I cropped it out! LOL
...we were thinking alike!

and I have a shot of a yellow swallowtail that was in my garden this summer and he was in similar shape to your butterfly - you wonder how they survive all battered and torn.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzclubstampers View Post
Orange is not my favorite color - so I don't think these are not my best... oh, well!! I felt so bad for that poor moth with the broken off wing that I took a picture of it! And, by the way... that's my cat and his name is Stuart... ain't he cute?!

TFL!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
Hope you are staying warm! Our heater went out a few years ago during a cold spell, so now we all have electric blankets. We've finally had a change in the weather here. It rained all night.

Here is some orange found at Disneyland this week. They turned out more orange at night than they would have during the day, except for the fireworks. I'll look around for more orange. I'm not much of an orange sort of person either.
Thanks! We're pretty warm for now and it ends up - motor issues so we need a whole new unit. Talk about bad timing! Not like there is ever a good time for it but around the holidays is the worst!

Those are great pics! Love the orange against the blue in the last one. What exactly is the first one? It's very cool looking! Is it part of a ride?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

TFL!
Beautiful shot of the butterfly against the purple thistle(?) and your cat is DARLING!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
Well, my outside world has disintegrated into white, grey and miserable so I did a few "orange" set ups in my studio today.

The "clementines" I will probably turn into a coloured pencil rendering eventually, the "pencils" has some interesting shapes within the crystal, and the "chinese lanterns" I turned vertically, they were actually laying on the table.

Thanks for looking, I had a great time putting them together and I have a few more yet...

Joann
Oh Joann - I can't wait to see how your clementines turn out! You MUST post it for us! Great choices in what you paired with the crystal in both those shots! And I love the lanterns! My Gram has always had a bunch dried in a vase in her house. Love your kitty and the oriole is so pretty! That is a beautiful lily!

Last edited by Duckwaddlequack; 11-26-2008 at 06:44 PM..
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwaddlequack View Post
Beautiful shot of the butterfly against the purple thistle(?) and your cat is DARLING!
I think it is a purple thistle... I'm not too sure... but that's the last of them for the season! After the first heavy snow (we've had a really light one that melted) they're all droop and die... too bad!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Stuart meet Simon who also had a dirty nose so I cropped it out! LOL
...we were thinking alike!

and I have a shot of a yellow swallowtail that was in my garden this summer and he was in similar shape to your butterfly - you wonder how they survive all battered and torn.

J
Stuart always has a dirty nose - his mother did, too! Must be an orange cat thing...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
plus a rather poor shot (but the best one I was able to get this season) of a Baltimore Oriole for MSAudreyAnn, taken earlier this year
Wow - he is just fantastic! As are each of your orange photographs. Love the seed-pods too; how beautiful.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Lisa: I love your pictures. I just love how night time photography mellows colors
Hannah, Love the great shot of the butterfly. Your kitty is cute. My daughter has a cat with similar color and markings, but I have't been to see them this week.
Joanne: Love your photos too. I took a shot of a clementine yesterday too, but was too busy to upload it. Will doso in my next post. I love the chinese lantern photo. Also love the eye detail on Simon. How did you get such a great shot of a baltimor oriole? They are so elusive over here. I also love the beautiful lily........love the way it glows against the dark bg.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Photo challenge # 10

I am in the same winter landscape as Joanne. Only, I think you got more snow than we did according to news reports! Here is a shot of a clementine peel as well as pomegranate, as I was making a fruit salad on Tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0857 (Small).JPG (44.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Oooo I'll be taking tons of pics today! Will post mine later!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Thanks! We're pretty warm for now and it ends up - motor issues so we need a whole new unit. Talk about bad timing! Not like there is ever a good time for it but around the holidays is the worst!

Those are great pics! Love the orange against the blue in the last one. What exactly is the first one? It's very cool looking! Is it part of a ride?
Seems like things always tend to happen at the worst time! Our heater went out while dh was out of town.

The first one is a rocket ride in Tomorrowland. My kids are too old for it as they prefer the roller coasters now, but it's fun to take photos of. There is a daytime shot of it in the blur challenge.

Love all the oranges! Especally the kitties. They are so cute.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, these are such fantastic pictures...the clementines, the oriole, the candle, the chinese lanterns, the kitties, all of them....you guys are so talented.

Wishing you all a peaceful Thanksgiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkins.jpg (188.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfLola View Post
Oh, these are such fantastic pictures...the clementines, the oriole, the candle, the chinese lanterns, the kitties, all of them....you guys are so talented.

GORGEOUS! I LOVE this photo!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Mad Swapper

These photos are stunning, guys! I love all the variations of orange I'm seeing, very inspiring.

I found a pressed leaf that was for a project with my son. I wasn't sure it was orange enough so I shot it next to a picture that has lots of orange in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phptoAaJSPM.jpg (61.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #25
Pearl-ExPert

I love the kitty photos- they're so soft looking!! Here is my first photo challenge contribution- flowers for my sister in law on my lap in the car today (on our way to Thanksgiving Dinner!). I used the macro on portrait, and then on sport, which came out overexposed, but I like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 27_Thanksgiving Day 08_4066.jpg (47.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 11 27_Thanksgiving Day 08_4067.jpg (105.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #26
Insane Embellisher

Ina, yes I imagine we do have more snow than you do altho your area does have the capacity to get a good dump now and then!

Surflola - now where did you find such gorgeous pumpkins to shoot! Great closeup shot!

Beautiful flowers Denise, I don't think I have a lense on my Nikon that would allow me to shoot something on my lap like that...a good macro is definitely on my wish list

Joann
Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

All these orange photos are so cheery on a dull dreary day! Welcome to the photo challenges. They are so much fun! I love your roses.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #28
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:

TFL!

Hannah, I love the photo of the moth on the thistle. The photo of Stuart is sweet.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #29
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
The next one is my favorite orange "thing" ever, he was not cooperating today so I cropped most of him out (Simon)

and the last one of the lily is what I think may be my most professional pic taken since I got my camera, taken this summer.

Enjoy!

...and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Joanne, I love your Oriole picture and your lilly. The one of the lanterns is pretty too.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #30
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfLola View Post

I like how your pumpkins look, with them all leaned up against eachother.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #31
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose46 View Post
I am in the same winter landscape as Joanne. Only, I think you got more snow than we did according to news reports! Here is a shot of a clementine peel as well as pomegranate, as I was making a fruit salad on Tuesday.

Your Thanksgiving clementine peel is really pretty. It reminded my of a Thanksgiving years ago when my cousin was 3 years old. She didn't want to eat the clementines she just wanted to peel them. My aunt and uncle warned her that if she was going to peel it she was going to have to eat it. She went ahead and peeled it anyway. When she didn't want to eat it she ended up sitting at the table with the clementine in front of her for several hours. I don't remember if she ever ate it. I wonder to this day if she likes them.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #32
Mississippi McGyver

Shelly, what a pretty pressed leaf. Definitely orange!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #33
Mississippi McGyver

Denise, I love your rose photos. That color of rose is my favorite. My kids all know this, but my dh always seems to forget.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #34
Mississippi McGyver

I am thankful that I finally got a chance to get out and take some photos. I took these at my sister in law's farm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange globe.JPG (66.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Orange farm sign.JPG (58.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Ornge chicken.JPG (47.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #35
Mississippi McGyver

One more photo from my Thanksgiving visit with my sister in law. She had this giant paper mache corn on the cob and by giant I mean a good 3 feet. She had silk leaves and a paper mache pumpkin. I like how the photo turned out. I know the corn isn't orange, but the leaves and the pumpkin had orange on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange pumpkin.JPG (61.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

Marilynn, your photos are great- love the whimsy of them and the ornament looks really cool.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #37
Polyshrink Goddess

some 'orange' pics to share .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black-eyed-susan.jpg (30.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg just-joey.jpg (67.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg orange ranunculus.jpg (69.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #38
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I knew ya'll would find some orange! Great photos and very neat objects!

Here's a leaf from my tree out front - I like how the veins showed up on it. And here's one of an orangey path at the park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fall leaf sm.JPG (66.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg wooded path 20sm.JPG (102.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #39
Insane Embellisher

(((Sigh)))...you are still having fall aren't you....I wish fall would come back! It started snowing on Nov 14th and has snowed almost every day since - and we still have an apple tree in the back yard with leaves on it!

The park shot looks idyllic!

J

Quote:
I knew ya'll would find some orange! Great photos and very neat objects!

Here's a leaf from my tree out front - I like how the veins showed up on it. And here's one of an orangey path at the park.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #40
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Question

Quote:
(((Sigh)))...you are still having fall aren't you....I wish fall would come back! It started snowing on Nov 14th and has snowed almost every day since - and we still have an apple tree in the back yard with leaves on it!

The park shot looks idyllic!

J
Thanks! There are still bits of fall here and there, but over all it's getting that grungy look now.