Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeannemlehrman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Organizing photos question

So, I'm an "old fashioned" kinda girl..... I like my shoe boxes full of pictures in the exact order, chronologically, I can touch them, I can make 2 copies of them, I can find them exactly when I need them and scrapbook events, or chronologically etc.

HELLO DIGITAL.... now I have multiple SD cards, some pics I have a hard copy, some I do not, my iphone pics, my husbands iphone pics, my daughters SD cards, some pictures are uploaded to the PC, some are uploaded to my laptop, our hard drive crashed a few years ago and the computer guy retrieved all our pictures and put them on some sort of box thing, .............. bottom line.....

ALL MY PIC FROM 2011 to present are a MESS!!! HOW do I get these in order?? Do you use a photo organizing program?? Some one help me!!

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

I can totally relate. This is actually a project I plan to tackle in the new year during these cold winter months. I got a wand scanner for Christmas so I can scan photos faster to make digital copies ( and scan pictures from a huge album of my uncles that is too fragle to take apart) I know Photoshop is supposed to have a great organizing tool and I will be starting off with that.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

This is me, too!! Lovely photos of my children and extended family. Since the grands have been born, all pics are on a dog gone disc and I really dislike ordering pics.
squirrellyshirley likes this post.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually all my pictures from 2006- present are a mess...... and since I am working on a project that I need pics from 2007-2009, its driving me crazy..... I KNOW I took pictures of these events, I KNOW I uploaded them....somewhere..... and My DH keeps saying..."Just upload them you don't need hard copies anymore"!!!! YES I DO!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Retrospective organising is always harder!
My DH bought my Photoshop Elements for my birthday this year and my main reason for going for it was to be able to tag all my photos, since I'm pretty used to editing with GIMP. But my slightly old PC doesn't really have enough memory to use it effectively - having it running slows everything else down so I haven't used it much.
But ever since I started digital photography, I have one master folder, and under that are folders for each month. Inside those are each year.
So it goes a bit like this:
Digital Photos >> 01 January >> 2009 JAN, 2010 JAN, 2011 JAN, 2012 JAN, 2013 JAN
Digital Photos >> 02 February >>2009 FEB, 2010 FEB

and so on. But this is where I really need my tagging, because looking for photos of my aunts dogs, I really couldn't remember what year I'd taken particular ones, never mind what months. But at least they're all there and easy to find. I reckoned chronologically by time worked best for me, having tried other categories like holidays, people, the park and so on.

What I do at the end of each month is upload EVERYTHING for that month into a separate folder for culling - and then when I've deleted all the duds (a job I often save for when I'm on the phone to my dad) I move it into its correct place.
Hoping we can afford a new PC this year, soon, so that I can actually start using PSE to a fuller extent!
SCS Photo Challenge #203 ~ Trees
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ Happy Anniversary (CASE your first upload)
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time -TLC503: Pencil Erasers
It's October. That means it must be time for HOPE YOU CAN CLING TO all month long! Come along and join in the fun.