Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default Let's Talk Cameras!!

My husband & I are looking and getting a new camera this year or next (we are saving up for a DSLR). Of course I want a camera that takes sharp family pictures, but I want one I can use for great detailed macro pictures for my my card photos too. And maybe one that is "user friendly" for a newbie photographer, but if I need to learn how to operate it on my own, I can do that.

I want to really show off my cards but my current camera isn't working for me. I have a point & shoot Cannon PowerShot SD1000 (7.1 mega pixels).
We have been looking at the Nikon D5100 or a Cannon Rebel 3Ti, so far.

What camera do you use or do you have a good camera suggestion, for me? Any particular brand that is "better" that I should stick with? As you can tell, I am relatively new to buying a good camera, please help!

Thank you in Advance!! ~ Amanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got a Panasonic Lumix ZS-8 and I love it. I got it primarily because it is able to take great shots in low light (I go to concerts) and quick movements (kids play sports) etc.

I did go ahead and get a professional grade memory card too. I LOVE my camera. Very easy to operate. The worst thing so far is that I taped a video at a concert and you can quite clearly hear me warbling along... I think I will be deleting that ASAP!

I also like that it is quite durable.

Hope you find what suits you and your family best.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

When I'm looking for camera suggestions I check this website I found several years ago. I like the categories and the reviews of cameras. Dave's Picks

Hope you might find this helpful.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Mad Swapper

Thank you, Ladies!! I'm going to check out the Panasonic Lumix and Dave's Pick's today! Thank you for your suggestions

~ Amanda
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

I really like my lumix for a point and shoot. I have a Canon XSi and it's great but I think all camera bodies are pretty close-with a dslr the lenses are what are different.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

If you're looking at a DSLR it's really about the lenses, not the body, as far as the quality of the images go. You can have an old body from 10 years ago and get amazing images with a quality lens. Or you can have the latest & greatest body with a crappy lens and your images will reflect that.

I would advise you go to a camera shop or somewhere you can pick up and hold the different bodies to see which you like better- as far as button locations and all that go. Once you decide on the body, you have to decide if you'll get the kit lens. It's usually not recommended by most. But I got an amazing deal on mine and it was basically free and find I use the kit lens a lot of times for standard photos of people, places, etc.

Macro lenses are a whole other story!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Nikon D-60 and would like to upgrade but don't have the money. If you don't hold the camera steady or focus properly, no camera will give you sharp pictures. DSLRs are heavier than a point and shoot.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Forum Fanatic

If you can use a really fast shutter speed, there isn't as much need to hold the camera very steady. Where a dslr and fast lens comes in handy is in low light. You can stop down and use a faster shutter speed. Also, some lenses (and some bodies) come with vibration control features which help a ton.

Some people think the heaviness of a dslr makes it easier to hold steady.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Forum Fanatic

Sorry, not "stop down" but reduce the f-stop number (which would be the opposite). Why in the %&** can't I edit my post 2 seconds after posting it? The #1 thing I hate about this board.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Sorry, not "stop down" but reduce the f-stop number (which would be the opposite). Why in the %&** can't I edit my post 2 seconds after posting it? The #1 thing I hate about this board.
You can - just click on the number of your post and it will bring it up in a new window, click edit and off you go.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

Thank you for the new info, Ladies! For some reason, I haven't been getting the updates on this thread I want the DSLR for the exact reason Gale suggested - low light. I have a 7.1 pixel camera at the moment and the "spottiness" or "noise" on the images is insane! I want sharp pics in daylight/outdoors and when I want to take pics of my cards in low light. If I can have a vibration control too, I would be even happier.

So last night I went on Amazon just to look around and I found this: Sony Cyber-Shot

I love the features:

* 18.2 Megapixel Back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Image Sensor
* Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with 3-way Active Mode
* Background Defocus
* Face Detection technology/Smile Shutter technology
* Anti-blink Function
* Soft Skin mode
* Natural Flash

I LOVE all of those features, BUT - It doesn't get enough great reviews for me to take the plunge. What do you think, Ladies? Or does anyone know of another camera that has any or all of these features? I know this is more for serious photography enthusiasts but I thought I'd ask. If I'm spending the money, I want it to be a great camera

~ Amanda
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

I know nothing about the Sony Cyber-Shot but my first digital was a Sony and I didn't like it. How much do you want to spend? Personally, I would not buy a camera on the internet unless I were to check it out first at a camera store. How would you know that the camera is comfortable in your hand and easy to use? What if you have questions? Can you set the ISO, aperture, shutter, buy different lenses, etc?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
I know nothing about the Sony Cyber-Shot but my first digital was a Sony and I didn't like it. How much do you want to spend? Personally, I would not buy a camera on the internet unless I were to check it out first at a camera store. How would you know that the camera is comfortable in your hand and easy to use? What if you have questions? Can you set the ISO, aperture, shutter, buy different lenses, etc?
These are all great questions, and we have gone to a store (Best Buy) and played with the Nikon D5100 and the Cannon 3Ti. We don't have a Sammy's or Ritz Camera around here, so we are playing around with what we have at our disposal. We don't want to spend a boatload, but I want quality. I would like to stick in the $500 range; if it's $600, fine, but that is my limit. I want to kinda narrow it down to two then drive to Los Angeles and talk to someone down there and make a purchase. I'm on Amazon for the reviews not to buy. I want to know what, if any, issues people had with their cameras.
Thank you for your opinion on the Sony, I was kinda thinking it might be a bad choice. I want to stick with a Nikon or Cannon, as of right now. Do you have a favorite camera? Or any suggestions for me?

~ Amanda
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Glad that you are just using the internet for rpicing and reviews. I don't know anything about Canon but have heard a lot of good things about Canon. I believe there is another thread here that discuses cameras. As I mentioned earlier, I have the Nikon D60 but would like to upgrade. When I was in the market for a new camera a friend had a Nikon D40 that I liked, it has features that the D60 didn't have. I looked at the D90 and liked it but didn't see the point in paying extra money for video that I would use. What I don't like about my camera is that the battery drains if I leave it in the camera. The D40 has a battery saver and you would think that the D60 being more expensive would have that also. So whatever camera you consider, inquire about leaving the battery in the camera. Will you want to do any bracketing? If so, look for a camera that has a setting for bracketing. The D60 doesn't, another reason I want to upgrade. Off hand, I can't think of anything else. Oh, I've often read/heard that the lens in a kit is not very good quality. Good luck in your choice.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Pearl-ExPert

Something else you might want to consider is whether or not your have the option of using the view finder or the camera screen. The D60 only allows you to use the view finder. I had a Minolta DiMage that let you go either way and my Nikon Coolpix allowed either or.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
You can - just click on the number of your post and it will bring it up in a new window, click edit and off you go.
Seriously? is this a new change? In the past the edit button has always been on the post in the thread page. Why would they change that?

To the OP, if you buy online be sure to check out Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores first. There are a lot of scammy camera shops on the nets.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
Forum Fanatic

I just tried it on the post I just made and there is still no edit button even if I click on my post number.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Mad Swapper

Gale - Thank you for the Reseller Ratings.com link! I have never heard of them but I am definitely going to check it out! I hate to order anything on the net, especially something this important. I am kinda worried about shipping such a delicate piece of equipment. I'm going to check it out now, thank you

~ Amanda
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraj8995 View Post
It's easy to forget that cameras weren't always defined by megapixels and the quality of their digital sensors. Once upon a time, photographers.

--------------------------------------
online photo prints india.
I still have my 35 ml... I loved that thing. TBH the reason I got the Lumix is because of weight, it IS sturdy but nowhere near my last cameras. Plus I always got questioned at gigs if my Fuji had a detachable lens...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Inking Addict

All of this is so familiar to me. I finally jumped and bought a Nikon D3100 and I'm very pleased. I had a 35mm SLR decades ago and stopped using it when I had a child. The point & shoot cameras came out and they were just so much smaller that I found I would reach for that to take with me. After time I was no longer familiar with the SLR and just couldn't get the photos because I was fiddling with the camera trying to remember how to use it.
When I decided to take the plunge and get a digital, I opted for a Sony because they're usually high quality tech. I have purchased 3 (my fault, not Sony) Cyber Shots and they take really good photos.....mostly because I have the camera with me because it is so light, small, and easy to use.
But fast forward a couple of decades and I now have grandchildren. I wasn't able to use the Sony CyberShot to take shots of the grandkids without a blur....the little guys will not pose for a photo.
The Nikon is so easy to use, I'm even learning to use it off the "auto" setting. The photos are technically wonderful and I'm learning to be a better photographer. I can also use it in low light situations and without the flash while they're infants.
The down side......it is too large to toss in a purse and I won't do that because I don't want to ruin it. You have to commit if you're going to get a larger camera and be willing to tote it around.
I went to the local Wolf/Ritz camera shop for help. I spent so much time trying to figure things out. It's so much money and I wanted to be wise. When I was at the shop and had guidance, along with being able to actually fondle the camera, it was very clear which one to purchase. I did price comparisons and the shop had a comparable price to what was on the internet. Now there are very good deals at Costco.