Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Help! New Camera Recommendations Needed!

I may be way out of my league here on this forum, as I know little to nothing about cameras! I have one I have liked okay (Canon Power Shot), but it needs a new battery and they don't make them anymore. Rather than buy a used one or different compatible brand, I am thinking I may just want a new camera anyway.
Can any of you please share your thoughts and recommendations? I am not so good with "electronics" and want the simplest and easiest possible. I do have a blog and would be using it a lot for pics of my cards and scrapbook pages as well as photographing vintage items up close. Of course, I want it for occasions: parties, family shots, vacations... gee I guess I want it for pretty much everything, lol!
Thank you so much! Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Have you looked here for your battery? Batteries Plus battery store - All your battery needs for Laptop, camera, cell phone, camcorder, SLA, batteries recycling and much more

We found an supposedly discontinued battery for our old cordless phone there.

Vic
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

If Battery Plus can't help you and you don't want a DSLR, Kodak EasyShare and the Nikon Coolpix are nice. They are a bit more than just a point and shoot as you can change some settings.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Ladies!
I actually have a Nikon Coolpix L18 that I totally forgot about, lol! I never use it, because I hate that it takes AA batteries and you use them up so fast.
But I am thinking that could be a good little camera that would just fit in my purse, which I do like to be able to do.
My other thought is to get a camera a bit more "advanced" and to try to learn more on. The more I think about it, maybe it would be fun to step out of my comfort zone a bit and try to become more advanced and not always rely on a "point and shoot". Therefore, I am now considering these two:

THIS Canon SX301S 14.1MP

or

THIS Pentax X90 12.1MP

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with either of these cameras?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

I was thinking of getting the canon. It looked to me like a great camera I have 2 canon powershots love canon. but I went with a Sony DSLR because I had lens that would work with it. here is a review on the canon you mentioned...
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS super-zoom review: design, controls, lens, stabilisation, screen, menus, drive modes | Cameralabs

""Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Continuous shooting and sensor

At a quoted rate of 1.3 frames per second, the PowerShot SX30 IS's continuous shooting rate is nothing to write home about, and that's with the focus locked. In Continuous shooting AF mode it falls to a paltry 0.6fps. If you want anything approaching useable continuous shooting you have to resort to low light mode which will record 2 Megapixel images at a rate of 3.6fps.

This effectively means the PowerShot SX30 IS has no meaningful continuous shooting capability and in this respect it loses out to the Lumix FZ45 / FZ40 which, although also lacking fast continuous shooting at full resolution, offesr a range of burst modes providing up to 10fps if you're prepared to compromise on image size and /or compression. Then there's the Lumix FZ100 which offers up to 11fps at the full resolution thanks to its CMOS sensor, along with a high speed 60fps mode at 3.5 Megapixels. So Canon's really falling behind in this regard.

The PowerShot SX30 IS has a 14 Megapixel 1 / 2.3in CCD sensor with an ISO sensitivity range of 80 to 1600 ISO at maximum resolution. Unlike the Panasonic rivals, there's no RAW option and all images are saved as JPEGs using a single compression mode that produces file sizes of around 3.5MB. """

the above was taken from the camera labs review. it sounds like it will be a bit slow.... That's too bad it looks great other than that.

hope this helps

Last edited by katiedoodlesgran; 01-02-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks. Kathy!!

I just emailed my DD and asked her what she thought. Her take on it was this:

"This means that if you are going to click and hold down the shutter, it will only get you a picture every second.. so are you really going to be shooting that fast? You're not buying a camera like mine, so that is pretty standard. You can shoot fast like that in a burst for smaller size images."

It may sound silly that I did not ask her first, but I decided to ask you ladies what you thought, since so many of you are using cameras for pretty much the same reason I am.
My DD is a professional photographer and sometimes when I ask her things like this she can get too technical for me and it's as if she is speaking another language, lol.

So, I went to her with the quote above from the review Kathy found. And she knows I will likely only go "so far" with my ventures in photography, lol, so her point is well taken.

She also said this:
"I'm bias and will always say go with the Canon. Especially since if anything goes wrong they are 5 minutes away. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Canon. Just don't know enough about the Pentax.

I know she has had great experience with Canon and loves them. Only one time did she have to have a repair done and it was so easy (as she stated, they are very close to us). And although I have heard lots of great things about Pentax (I loved the one I had years ago), I was glad she was honest to say she really doesn't know enough about them personally.

Her final advice was to go to Best Buy and play with it and see what I think.
So, that's what I plan on doing. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Glitter Guru

For what it's worth:
I shoot Sony DSLR 12 MP and love it but sometimes wish I had a great compact.
Last Christmas(09), I purchased a Kodak Easy Share Z980 for DH. He had never owned a camera before...It also has 12 MP, a 24X optical zoom and can be adjusted when using Shutter, Aperture or manual modes. The result: I have been shooting with SLR's for more than 20 years, teach photography to youth and enter many competitions and have placed in some........and he is kicking my butt: This Kodak Easy share is not a shirt pocket camera....It looks like a camera if you get my drift (like a small DSLR) is easy on the rechargable batteries and has loads of possibilities....
If you stay with the Canon Powershots investigate the 11 or 12 models--my 4-Hers use them and obtain great photos.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-209 done only 283+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-30 and sweating

Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

You might want to try leaving your batteries out of your camera when you aren't using it. I have to do that with both my Nikon Coolpix and the D60.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-mouse View Post
For what it's worth:
I shoot Sony DSLR 12 MP and love it but sometimes wish I had a great compact.
Last Christmas(09), I purchased a Kodak Easy Share Z980 for DH. He had never owned a camera before...It also has 12 MP, a 24X optical zoom and can be adjusted when using Shutter, Aperture or manual modes. The result: I have been shooting with SLR's for more than 20 years, teach photography to youth and enter many competitions and have placed in some........and he is kicking my butt: This Kodak Easy share is not a shirt pocket camera....It looks like a camera if you get my drift (like a small DSLR) is easy on the rechargable batteries and has loads of possibilities....
If you stay with the Canon Powershots investigate the 11 or 12 models--my 4-Hers use them and obtain great photos.
Thank you so much for this! I think I will have more than a couple cameras on my list to see when I walk into Best Buy
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
You might want to try leaving your batteries out of your camera when you aren't using it. I have to do that with both my Nikon Coolpix and the D60.
Good advice. I just took them out. Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

I have a canon point and shoot, actually 2, I got one for DH so he would stop taking mine on hunting trips I love it. but when I am taking pictures of the grands I like to be able to click click click click so I dont miss anything. LOL what your daughter said is so true. I actually started studying how to use a DSLR on manual before I even got mine, if I wasn't going to shoot in manual I would buy the canon power zoom you were looking at. Your Daughter would Know best she knows you and cameras. have fun picking out your new Camera
Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

I went to Best Buy and looked at the cameras there. I had a special camera in mind but ended up not liking the screen and thought it was too difficult to try to figure out how to change the settings. What I ended up buying was a Canon PowerShot SX120IS and I love it. I've had it since this summer and have had so much fun playing with it.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

I've just upgraded from my Canon S5 IS to a Nikon D5000 DSLR with a 18-55mm lens. The Nikon website has a digi tutor, too!

I've kept our Sony 7mp point 'n' shoot for DH.

Quote:
I actually have a Nikon Coolpix L18 that I totally forgot about, lol! I never use it, because I hate that it takes AA batteries and you use them up so fast.
Take this camera out & start playing with it!

Get yourself a good rechargeable battery system, ASAP!!!

Get yourself to a camera store & talk to the staff.
Hold the camera in your hands for the feel, weight, etc.

I go to this site for camera reviews, too.
http://www.dpreview.com/
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I have a Cannon Power shot (purse camera) and an Pentax K-7 (DSLR)
Hubs and I both have shot Pentax Cameras for years and years, the thing with Pentax is. their lens are a little more on the trying to think of how to put it. geared to be rugged out doors i guess. weather resistant, today on the way to work it had warmed up to a whole 9 degrees and somewhere I read that Pansy wrote you could play with your whitebalance on a frosty overcast day and get this blue with tungsten setting... so i did this, stopped here and there. This camera did not freeze or condense and such. (gotta pop the card out and see how they turned out still)

and I will tell you my Cannon power shot ( they don't make it anymore A60? ) is only 4 Mega Pixels and it takes really good shots, it has a zoom and a very large flip out view screen. ( this is neat because you can spin that screen and you know hold it up and shoot yourself and you see yourself on the screen before you hit the trigger so, you could smile or lift your chin higher and what not) I think for what you want to do, I would listen to your daughter actually and go with the Cannon. I would make sure you get one that the memory card reader will read an HCSD scan card. ( they are starting to not make the plain SD scan cards and that is what my little cannon shoots on)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Crimping Master

Send a message via Yahoo to cletracloversgirl

I LOVE Canon! I have a 35 mm and a 30D...my lenses are interchangeable on both cameras and the capabilities of the Canon are just out of this world....however I do have a "Purse camera" it is a Samsung..it takes beautiful pictures..the only thing I hate about it is the fact that it has a 5 second delay between pictures...I was constantly missing shots...but I love canon and to me there is not a better camera at any level! Taishea