Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Question Help with camera decision-FAST

I am a photography nut! I love digital because I can play around with shots and if they don't turn out, I'm not wasting film. I take groups of people on trips around the world and have been using my Canon G9 for quite awhile. However, I dropped it on a concrete floor and it only wants to work sometimes now. I need a new one and want to stay with Canon. I'm leaving for Spain and Portugal in less than a month and have to make a decision. I need something that will take good low light pictures and fast, as sometimes we are rounding a corner in a bus and not stopping at a site I want a picture of for my group. I am asking for a lot I know! I want a DSLR eventually but not necessarily for the traveling I do now. I will purchase one when I take the time for a class to get the best use out of one. Any suggestions on a great Canon point and shoot? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
SCS Swap Moderator

I have a Canon Powershot A540 I think it is and I love it. It's a few years old though. Not sure what the current model is.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

I have the Canon Powershot SX30 as my point and shoot. I wouldn't call it great - not in low light, at least. It IS great in good light, and the video quality is amazing. I call it my video that takes pictures.
Having said that it's not good in low light - if you're in Spain and Portugal the quality of the light should be much better than here! I took mine to Paris earlier this year (and to western France last year) rather than have the bulk and weight of my DSLR and was happy enough with the results. And we had a couple of very grey and overcast days in Paris.
I'm still catching up on editing photos but some of the recent posts on my blog are on Paris and the photos were taken with that camera.
I LOVE the zoom capability - it beats changing lenses on a DSLR hollow when you're on a city break! Not so good for macro.
SCS Photo Challenge #201 ~Vacation Favourites
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~Stencil It
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time - TLC499: Tape It Off
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a canon Powershot ELPH 300 HS. It's OK but my older version which the kids now use is much nicer.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I {HEART!!!} my Canon T2i if you're looking for an SLR. With the newer models out, that one has become quite reasonable. If you want to take great pics without the fuss of manual, there are some "semi-manual" presets that work very well!