Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By Coldstream
  • 3 Post By horseygal
  • 4 Post By buggainok
  • 1 Post By muscrat
  • 2 Post By PJill
  • 1 Post By buggainok
  • 1 Post By floyd

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Unappreciated stamper, argh!

I have to vent a bit, please excuse me! Last year, I worked very hard on card sets for both Classified Staff Appreciation Week and Teacher Appreciation Week at our elementary school and I thought they were pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself. I didn't hear any feedback, good or bad, but I figured that maybe my gifts got lost in the shuffle and assumed that they went over well enough. This year, I was asked by a PTA member to do it again, and I was happy to get to work. After making over 50 sets, 6 different designs of 3 cards each, (all packaged in a recycled stamp set box tote bag/purse) I have gotten only one thank you from the PTA person who asked me to do this. But on our school's facebook page, the teachers have been commenting about the cute cupcake they received the day before.... Nothing about my card sets. I am feeling a bit perturbed by this! Do people just not enjoy receiving cards anymore? My husband has always thought this hobby of mine was a waste of time, but I always thought that people appreciated the artful efforts that I made for them. Now I am wondering if I should just give it all up for a while... Have you ever made card sets for teachers that were well received? Perhaps everyone just wants a gift card Thanks for listening!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Cardstock Collector

This is a sample of what I made.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
CAKath, caterinafmig, bfinlay and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Those are beautiful! Send me a packet!
I am so sorry that your thoughtful gift was not appreciated verbally. I am sure that everyone loved their set, how could you not!
I must say the art of "thank you" seems to have gone by the wayside
I went to a wedding last summer and still haven't gotten a thank you card. I know people get busy.....
I wouldn't stop making cards, you do a great job!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
KristiK, muscrat and Juble like this post.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Compulsive Stamper

I will tread carefully when I say this............. "Teachers are takers" . Okay now that I said that, I want to say that your cards are great! And the thought of the gift set is wonderful!
I have worked at our school district for 16 years, not as a teacher but in the district office. The teachers have a welcome back to school staff meeting with free coffee, drinks and food. What do they do? They eat and drink everything and TAKE all of the cookies and muffins and sandwiches and stuff them in their purses. Every year, every district meeting there is... So take it with a grain of salt, and maybe not "give" so much. One or two cards, but not a set, as you will not be thanked!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

First, I feel your pain, and I'm sorry this happened.

Second, your card sets are lovely, and I can tell you took a lot of care and time to make them.

Third, shame on the teachers for not acknowledging such a nice gesture and gift on your part.

I'm glad that at least the person who asked you to do this thanked you for it.

I think if you get asked again to make card sets for these ungrateful people, I would nicely tell the PTA gal that you wish you could, but you just don't have the time. I don't think it would do any good to tell her why - that actually the recipients were rude and ungrateful. Just say no next time.

You might consider using your talent, time and supplies to make cards that go where they are actually appreciated, like some of the cards for soldiers organizations, or even take some to local nursing homes. Many of our senior citizens would really appreciate them, I know.

There are too many people these days who seem to have a sense of entitlement and have forgotten how to say thank you. I guess it's just a reflection of the whole "Me Generation" thing, but I don't like it either.

I understand that we all have busy lives, but look, you took time to make 50 sets of cards! How much time would it have taken those teachers to say thank you? Especially on FB, where everyone seems to spend lots of time every day.

I hope that you don't let this bad experience stifle your creativity, and that you keep making cards. I have had similar experiences, even with family members, and my feelings were hurt by their lack of appreciation or thank you's.

I have become a little more selective about who gets my time and attention as a result.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Kookie Creator

Are you sure the teachers know that you are the one who made those cards? It seems very strange to me that not one of them said thank you. Is it possible that the PTA just gave them out without giving you credit?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatuschka View Post
Are you sure the teachers know that you are the one who made those cards? It seems very strange to me that not one of them said thank you. Is it possible that the PTA just gave them out without giving you credit?
I know you are giving the benefit of the doubt, but I think they could have said thank you for the cards/gifts, even if they didn't know who specifically provided them.

Something like, "Oh and we don't know exactly who to thank, but we received cute sets of note cards that are much appreciated."

Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to dyannalw

I really like your cards specially the ones with the roses. I'm sorry no one seemed to appreciate them.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I know you are giving the benefit of the doubt, but I think they could have said thank you for the cards/gifts, even if they didn't know who specifically provided them.

Something like, "Oh and we don't know exactly who to thank, but we received cute sets of note cards that are much appreciated."
Oh, I absolutely, totally 1000 percent agree!!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Kookie Creator

Your cards are awesome. You have to overlook the unappreciative. I made a special Christmas card for my sister-in-law years ago and a day after Christmas it was in the garbage can!! I don't make her ones anymore, she gets an ugly store bought one! Maybe next year you can politely decline.

My Gallery My Blog
Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyS. View Post
Your cards are awesome. You have to overlook the unappreciative. I made a special Christmas card for my sister-in-law years ago and a day after Christmas it was in the garbage can!! I don't make her ones anymore, she gets an ugly store bought one! Maybe next year you can politely decline.
I, too, have some family members who don't really express their appreciation for handmade cards. But in the grand scheme of things, I make all my cards for family members, never buy any cards anymore, so they get the cards whether they appreciate them or not, lol.

It would actually be more trouble for me to buy them a card than to include them in my handmade ones.

On the plus side, I have a wonderful daughter-in-law who is always very effusive in her thanks about everything I make, cards and other handmade items. She told me she has saved every card I ever sent to her.

She makes up for the Kill-Joys in the family.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Proud Fan Club Member

My boss (volunteer job) tells me she has every card I've ever made her! Honestly, I haven't bought a card since I began making them. Everyone gets a handmade one whether they want them or not! LOL! I tell them they don't have to save them forever. I was so tickled on Mother's day when my new DIL and her daughters made me a bouquet of paper flowers because they "knew I liked handmade stuff," Each flower was tied shut and said something nice on it. So sweet. Some will appreciate and some won't. As long as they understand that I .make them because I love doing it and don't try to say I do it because I save money! LOL
buggainok likes this post.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Stampin' Fool

OK, I'll be a bit different here and go another route. If asked again next year I would say something like, "Thank you for asking and I am glad you enjoy them. I would be happy to make a set for you since you seem to be the only one that likes my work. It does take time and I love making them but it doesn't appear that others were very enthused with them." Maybe she would help put the word out that people NEED to get back to the art of saying 'thank you' and also 'RSVP'ing'!!!!!
My youngest son just graduated from high school and received many nice cards with money/gift cards, etc. The first thing he did was got out his thank you notes and started writing 5 a day until he is done.
I love making cards for all 6 of my kids and their spouses, my husband and my siblings. They all are so appreciative. The girls have all asked me to make announcements for births, weddings, etc, so I know they appreciate what I do. But, I have also been in the situation you are talking about and it only took once to figure out that some people just don't 'get it'. So I am more selective in who gets my 'effort' now.
After reading this it made me think of putting something on FB about the art of 'thank you' and 'RSVP'ing. Maybe if we all start reminding people we could start a movement.
My daughter-in-law sent me one of the thank you notes that I had made for her after her baby was born. In it she wrote, "I decided to send you one of these special cards because I figured you never get to see how much your work is appreciated!" She is a very special girl!
muscrat and LindaBabe like this post.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJill View Post
OK, I'll be a bit different here and go another route. If asked again next year I would say something like, "Thank you for asking and I am glad you enjoy them. I would be happy to make a set for you since you seem to be the only one that likes my work. It does take time and I love making them but it doesn't appear that others were very enthused with them." Maybe she would help put the word out that people NEED to get back to the art of saying 'thank you' and also 'RSVP'ing'!!!!!
My youngest son just graduated from high school and received many nice cards with money/gift cards, etc. The first thing he did was got out his thank you notes and started writing 5 a day until he is done.
I love making cards for all 6 of my kids and their spouses, my husband and my siblings. They all are so appreciative. The girls have all asked me to make announcements for births, weddings, etc, so I know they appreciate what I do. But, I have also been in the situation you are talking about and it only took once to figure out that some people just don't 'get it'. So I am more selective in who gets my 'effort' now.
After reading this it made me think of putting something on FB about the art of 'thank you' and 'RSVP'ing. Maybe if we all start reminding people we could start a movement.
My daughter-in-law sent me one of the thank you notes that I had made for her after her baby was born. In it she wrote, "I decided to send you one of these special cards because I figured you never get to see how much your work is appreciated!" She is a very special girl !
We are both lucky MIL's, Jill. My daughter-in-law did the same thing, sent me a card from a set I had made for her. She said "I wanted you to see how lovely it is to receive one of your cards." Our sons did good.

muscrat likes this post.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Matboard Maniac

Default i have to laugh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyS. View Post
I have to laugh at this because I usually find myself struggling every year to get out my XMas Cards...but the last few years I haven't made such an effort because people tell me that they just don't know how I could do that with all the other things I have on my plate with 3 kids - "it makes me feel bad." So they don't get the handmade as often anymore either.

I have to say that when someone makes you feel as though you should be ashamed of enjoying the gift of papercrafting or criticising your attempt or simply not saying thank you for a gift set, it makes you feel as though you should hang up the towel. But your cards are gorgeous and I think you should keep making your cards.

Keep Stamping and I hope you get more thank yous in the future!!

Proud Fan Club Member

Dog Days of Summer VSN 2013 Hostess

MY BLOG

Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter! Dr. Seuss
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Embossing Fanatic

I thought your cards were beautiful, and sad you feel unappreciated. It did remind me of a story one of the ladies at the card class I go to told. She sent out her Christmas cards, and a couple of weeks later received a card back with $20, and a note saying "didn't know you were in finacial trouble, here is some money to buy some cards". We all got a chuckle and now you can buy some more stamps!
buggainok likes this post.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Insane Embellisher

I know excactly how you feel. I take the time to make specail cards for people trying to use themes they like and or colors they like and noon apprecites the homemade cards at all.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Gabfest Goddess

Your cards are wonderful! My daughter ask me to make her cards all the time, I even made her some thanksgiving invites last year and I will start thinking about those here soon to make for this year!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Your cards are really beautiful, so please don't doubt your talent and technique. There is no understanding why none of those teachers, not even one (!), appreciated the gift of your heart that went into making all of those cards. But we think you rock. I have learned through the years to give the hand-made to those who really appreciate them. My Mom has been a big supporter of my stuff through the years, but now she's 80 and less enthusiastic about what I've been sending her. I felt a little down about it until I visited her and found that she has kept each and every thing I have sent her in her desk. So, you never know....

AVON39 Santa Barbara, CA

Be Courageous