Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree413Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #281
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

A girl with an apple

August 1942. Piotrkow , Poland . The sky was gloomy that morning as we waited anxiously. All the men, women and children of Piotrkow's Jewish ghetto had been herded into a square. Word had gotten around that we were being moved. My father had only recently died from typhus, which had run rampant through the crowded ghetto. My greatest fear was that our family would be separated.

'Whatever you do,' Isidore, my eldest brother, whispered to me, 'don't tell them your age.. Say you're sixteen.' I was tall for a boy of 11, so I could pull it off. That way I might be deemed valuable as a worker. An SS man approached me, boots clicking against the cobblestones. He looked me up and down, then asked my age. 'Sixteen,' I said. He directed me to the left, where my three brothers and other healthy young men already stood.

My mother was motioned to the right with the other women, children, sick and elderly people. I whispered to Isidore, 'Why?' He didn't answer. I ran to Mama's side and said I wanted to stay with her. 'No,' she said sternly. 'Get away. Don't be a nuisance. Go with your brothers.' She had never spoken so harshly before. But I understood: She was protecting me. She loved me so much that, just this once, she pretended not to. It was the last I ever saw of her.

My brothers and I were transported in a cattle car to Germany . We arrived at the Buchenwald concentration camp one night weeks later and were led into a crowded barrack. The next day, we were issued uniforms and identification numbers.

'Don't call me Herman anymore.' I said to my brothers. 'Call me 94983.'
I was put to work in the camp's crematorium, loading the dead into a hand-cranked elevator. I, too, felt dead. Hardened, I had become a number. Soon, my brothers and I were sent to Schlieben , one of Buchenwald's sub-camps near Berlin.

One morning I thought I heard my mother's voice, 'Son,' she said softly but clearly, I am going to send you an angel.' Then I woke up. Just a dream. A beautiful dream. But in this place there could be no angels. There was only work. And hunger. And fear..

A couple of days later, I was walking around the camp, around the barracks, near the barbed-wire fence where the guards could not easily see. I was alone. On the other side of the fence, I spotted someone: a litle girl with light, almost luminous curls. She was half-hidden behind a birch tree. I glanced around to make sure no one saw me. I called to her softly in German.
'Do you have something to eat?' She didn't understand. I inched closer to the fence and repeated question in Polish. She stepped forward. I was thin and gaunt, with rags wrapped around my feet, but the girl looked unafraid. In her eyes, I saw life. She pulled an apple from her woolen jacket and threw it over the fence. I grabbed the fruit and, as I started to run away, I heard her say faintly, 'I'll see you tomorrow.'

I returned to the same spot by the fence at the same time every day. She was always there with something for me to eat - a hunk of bread or, better yet, an apple. We didn't dare speak or linger. To be caught would mean death for us both. I didn't know anything about her, just a kind farm girl, except that she understood Polish. What was her name? Why was she risking her life for me? Hope was in such short supply, and this girl on the other side of the fence gave me some, as nourishing in its way as the bread and apples.

Nearly seven months later, my brothers and I were crammed into a coal car and shipped to Theresienstadt camp in Czechoslovakia. 'Don' t return,' I told the girl that day. 'We're leaving.' I turned toward the barracks and didn't look back, didn't even say good-bye to the little girl whose name I'd never learned, the girl with the apples.

We were in Theresienstadt for three months. The war was winding down and Allied forces were closing in, yet my fate seemed sealed. On May 10, 1945, I was scheduled to die in the gas chamber at 10:00 AM. In the quiet of dawn, I tried to prepare myself. So many times death seemed ready to claim me, but somehow I'd survived.. Now, it was over. I thought of my parents. At least, I thought, we will be reunited.

But at 8 A.M. There was a commotion. I heard shouts, and saw people running every which way through camp. I caught up with my brothers. Russian troops had liberated the camp! The gates swung open. Everyone was running, so I did too.

Amazingly, all of my brothers had survived; I'm not sure how. But I knew that the girl with the apples had been the key to my survival. In a place where evil seemed triumphant, one person's goodness had saved my life, had given me hope in a place where there was none. My mother had promised to send me an angel, and the angel had come.

Eventually I made my way to England where I was sponsored by a Jewish charity, put up in a hostel with other boys who had survived the Holocaust and trained in electronics. Then I came to America, where my brother Sam had already moved. I served in the U. S. Army during the Korean War, and returned to New York City after two years. By August 1957 I'd opened my own electronics repair shop. I was starting to settle in.

One day, my friend Sid who I knew from England called me. 'I've got a date. She's got a Polish friend. Let's double date.'

A blind date? Nah, that wasn't for me. But Sid kept pestering me, and a few days later we headed up to the Bronx to pick up his date and her friend Roma. I had to admit, for a blind date this wasn't so bad. Roma was a nurse at a Bronx hospital. She was kind and smart. Beautiful, too, with swirling brown curls and green, almond-shaped eyes that sparkled with life.

The four of us drove out to Coney Island. Roma was easy to talk to, easy to be with. Turned out she was wary of blind dates too! We were both just doing our friends a favor. We took a stroll on the boardwalk, enjoying the salty Atlantic breeze, and then had dinner by the shore. I couldn't remember having a better time.

We piled back into Sid's car, Roma and I sharing the backseat. As European Jews who had survived the war, we were aware that much had been left unsaid between us. She broached the subject, 'Where were you,' she asked softly, 'during the war?'

'The camps,' I said, the terrible memories still vivid, the irreparable loss. I had tried to forget. But you can never forget.

She nodded. 'My family was hiding on a farm in Germany, not far from Berlin ,' she told me. 'My father knew a priest, and he got us Aryan papers.' I imagined how she must have suffered too, fear, a constant companion. And yet here we were, both survivors, in a new world.

'There was a camp next to the farm.' Roma continued. 'I saw a boy there and I would throw him apples every day.'

What an amazing coincidence that she had helped some other boy. 'What did he look like? I asked. He was tall, skinny, and hungry. I must have seen him every day for six months.'

My heart was racing. I couldn't believe it. This couldn't be. 'Did he tell you one day not to come back because he was leaving Schlieben ?'

Roma looked at me in amazement. 'Yes,' That was me! ' I was ready to burst with joy and awe, flooded with emotions. I couldn't believe it! My angel.

'I'm not letting you go.' I said to Roma. And in the back of the car on that blind date, I proposed to her. I didn't want to wait.

'You're crazy!' she said. But she invited me to meet her parents for Shabbat dinner the following week. There was so much I looked forward to learning about Roma, but the most important things I always knew: her steadfastness, her goodness. For many months, in the worst of circumstances, she had come to the fence and given me hope. Now that I'd found her again, I could never let her go.

That day, she said yes. And I kept my word. After nearly 50 years of marriage, two children and three grandchildren I have never let her go.

Herman Rosenblat,
Miami Beach , Florida

This is a true story and you can find out more by Googling Herman Rosenblat as he was Bar Mitzvahed at age 75. This story is being made into a movie called The Fence.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #282
Stampin' Fool

Location: Rockville, Maryland, near my family.... enjoying my grandkids!
Send a message via Yahoo to bsgstamps4fun

What a truly remarkable story of the war and of life! Thank you so much, Caterina, for giving it to us.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #283
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for the story of Herman and Roma Rosenblat, Caterina! Without a doubt, someone in the life of young Herman and his brothers knew how to pray and entrust these boys into God's hands! It was a miracle that they and Roma lived through the terror of that time. I'm so happy that a movie is being made about Herman and Roma's remarkable story so that many people will be inspired by it.

Rita
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #284
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Time for a chuckle

Noah's Ark

The Lord spoke to Noah and said, "In six months I am going to make it rain until the whole world is covered with water and all the evil things are destroyed. But, I want to save a few good people and two of every living thing on the planet. I am ordering you to build an ark." And, in a flash of lightning, he delivered the specifications for the ark.

"OK," Noah said, trembling with fear and fumbling with the blueprints, "I'm your man."

Six months passed, the sky began to cloud up, and the rain began to fall in torrents. The Lord looked down and saw Noah sitting in his yard, weeping, and there was no ark.

"Noah!" shouted the Lord, "Where is My ark?" A lightning bolt crashed into the ground right beside Noah.

"Lord, please forgive me!" begged Noah. "I did my best, but there were some big problems. First, I had to get a building permit for the ark's construction, but Your plans did not meet their code. So, I had to hire an engineer to redo the plans, only to get into a long argument with him about whether to include a sprinkler system. My neighbors objected, claiming that I was violating zoning ordinances by building the ark in my front yard, so I had to get a variance from the city planning board. Then, I had a big problem getting enough wood for the ark, because there was a ban on cutting trees to save the spotted owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that I needed the wood to save the owls, but they wouldn't let me catch them, so no owls. Next, I started gathering up the animals but got sued by an animal rights group that objected to me taking along only two of each kind. Just when the suit got dismissed, the EPA notified me that I couldn't complete the ark without filling out an environmental impact statement on Your proposed flood. They didn't take kindly to the idea that they had no jurisdiction over the Supreme Being. Then, the Corps of Engineers wanted a map of the proposed flood plan. I sent them a globe! Right now, I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission over how many minorities I'm supposed to hire. The IRS has seized all my assets claiming that I am trying to leave the country, and I just got a notice from the state that I owe some kind of use tax. Really, I don't think I can finish the ark in less than five years."

With that, the sky cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow arched across the sky. Noah looked up and smiled. "You mean you are not going to destroy the world?" he asked hopefully.

"No," said the Lord. "The government already has."
Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #285
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

HOPE YOU DANCE

"The Lord is a strong tower." Proverbs 18:10

Not too long ago I had "one of those days." I was feeling pressure from a deadline. I had company arriving in a couple days and the toilet was clogged. I went to the bank, and the trainee teller processing my deposit had to start over three times. I swung by the supermarket to pick up a few things and the lines were serpentine.

By the time I got home, I was frazzled and sweaty and in a hurry to get something on the table for dinner. Deciding on Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, I grabbed a can opener, cranked open the can, then remembered I had forgotten to buy milk at the store. Nix the soup idea.

Setting the can aside, I went to plan B, which was leftover baked beans. I grabbed a Tupperware container from the fridge, popped the seal, took a look and groaned. My husband isn't a picky eater, but even HE won't eat baked beans that look like caterpillars.

Really frustrated now, I decided on a menu that promised to be as foolproof as it is nutrition free: hot dogs and potato chips. Retrieving a brand new bag of chips from the cupboard, I grabbed the cellophane and gave a hearty pull. The bag didn't open. I tried again. Nothing happened. I took a breath, doubled my muscle, and gave the bag a hearty wrestle. With a loud pop, the cellophane suddenly gave way, ripping wide from top to bottom. Chips flew sky high. I was left holding the bag, and it was empty. It was the final straw. I let out a blood curdling scream. "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!"

My husband heard my unorthodox cry for help. Within minutes he was standing at the doorway to the kitchen, where he surveyed the damage: an opened can of soup, melting groceries, moldy baked beans, and one quivering wife standing ankle deep in potato chips.

My husband did the most helpful thing he could think of at the moment. He took a flying leap, landing flat-footed in the pile of chips. And then he began to stomp and dance and twirl, grinding those chips into my linoleum in the process! I stared. I fumed. Pretty soon I was working to stifle a smile. Eventually I had to laugh. And finally I decided to join him. I, too, took a leap onto the chips.

And then I danced.

Now I'll be the first to admit that my husband's response wasn't the one I was looking for. But the truth is, it was exactly what I needed. I didn't need a clean-up crew as much as I needed an attitude adjustment, and the laughter from that rather funky moment provided just that.

So now I have a question for you, and it's simply this: Has God ever stomped on your chips? I know that, in my life, there have been plenty of times when I've gotten myself into frustrating situations and I've cried out for help, all the while hoping God would show up with a celestial broom and clean up the mess I've made of things.

Can I let God's joy adjust my attitude? Am I going to stand on the sidelines and sulk, or am I willing to learn the steps of the dance God is dancing with my needs in mind?

I'll be honest with you: Sometimes I sulk. Sometimes I dance. I'm working on doing more of the latter than the former. I guess the older I get, the more I realize that God really does know what God is doing. God loves me and I can trust God. Even when the chips are down.

God Bless You! Have a GREAT day.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #286
Die Cut Diva

Default Thanks Caterina!

Those last two stories are so good, Caterina! The story about Noah and the burdensome restrains our laws have placed on us had so much truth in it.

The last story reminded me of my day yesterday when I let myself get tired and frustrated and I'm pretty sure God DID dance on my chips. ha!

Rita
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #287
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Just A Box Of Crayons

While walking in a toy store
The day before today,
I over heard a Crayon Box
With many things to say.

"I don't like red!" said Yellow.
And Green said, "Nor do I!"
And no one here likes Orange,
But no one knows quite why.

"We are a box of crayons
that really doesn't get along,"
Said Blue to all the others.
"Something here is wrong!"

Well, I bought that box of crayons
And took it home with me
And laid out all the crayons
So the crayons could all see

They watched me as I colored
With Red and Blue and Green
And Black and White and Orange
And every color in between

They watched as Green became the grass
And Blue became the sky.
The Yellow sun was shining bright
On White clouds drifting by.

Colors changing as they touched,
Becoming something new.
They watched me as I colored.
They watched till I was through.

And when I'd finally finished,
I began to walk away.
And as I did the Crayon box
Had something more to say........

"I do like Red! " said the Yellow
And Green said, "So do I !"
And Blue you are terrific!
"So high up in the sky."

"We are a Box of Crayons
Each of us unique,
But when we get together
The picture is complete"

Old 08-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #288
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Caterina, just got a chance to read your last three messages. As always, they are so much appreciated!
Blessings to everyone!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #289
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Girl With An Apple Video

Here is a follow up on the Girl With An Apple story posted a few days ago.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1571970ftg4AJEe
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #290
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Your Turn

I was on my way to the mountains to visit The Homestead about four years ago to soak up the scenery and cleanse my soul. It's a ritual that is like pressing a reset button in my life. The scenery is so beautiful.

While driving, I got the urge to stop in a small town to go a dollar store to buy some colored writing tablets. These tablets inspire me and the colors seem to be able to pull the words out of me.

I got off at the Lexington exit and saw a Dollar Tree Store. I had never shopped there and didn't know if I would find the tablets that I love there. I almost decided to keep driving and go to the next exit, but instead, stopped for lunch and then went to the store. I did find some pretty writing tablets and was eager to get back on the road to get to The Homestead.

When I went to pay for them, I realized I had left my cash at home and only had $8 on me. I had credit cards thankfully and my purchase came to $7.28. That was ironic because of what happened next.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot approaching the stop sign, there stood a woman holding a sign that said, "Stranded - need money to get back to Michigan." I read her sign and briefly our eyes met. I drove off, but instantly I knew that THIS was the real reason that I was prompted to get off at that exit.

I went to the nearest gas station and explained to the attendant that I wanted to help the lady just down the street who was stranded. I would charge the gas to my credit card, give her the receipt, and he was to accept the receipt and give her the gas.

He tried to discourage me, saying that somebody had a similar sign on a camper a couple of days before. But that didn't matter to me. I was sure in my heart that I was the person who was supposed to help this woman. I would rather be counted as an angel in the eyes of God than a fool in the eyes of the gas attendant.

Besides, many many years ago in the cold of winter I passed by a lady without a coat. The still small voice said "give her your coat." I only had one winter coat myself, but I did have an all weather coat at home. I kept going, but once inside I knew it had to be God nudging me to do this and I decided to do it. I was only in the building for a few minutes but when I came out she was no where to be found. I felt awful. I made the decision then and there that I would always honor that still small voice.

I imagined how this woman from Michigan must have felt being miles away from home, a stranger counting on the goodness of others to extend her a helping hand. I felt a warm feeling inside knowing that I would be the bridge to get her back on the road and "back home."

I remembered being stranded with just a flat tire, but that can be stressful if you don't have a spare. It took 45 minutes before someone stopped to help me. I knew that someone would. I just had to be patient. I knew this because I have always tried to sow good seeds and be generous so I knew that in MY time of need, someone would step up to the plate and help me.

This lady was miles from home and stranded. Yet God knew exactly where she was and used me to answer her prayer. I left home thinking I was going on vacation. I got off the exit thinking I was buying writing tablets, but God had another assignment for me that day.

Suppose I had listened to the gas attendant for fear that I was being taken advantage of? Suppose she really was taking advantage of me? I may never know.

This I do know: If you have never been in that place in your life, it's easy to dismiss a person who is reaching out for help. But if you have been at a low place in life, you will always rise to the occasion because you remember "when" and the old saying "there but for the grace of God go I."

You never know how you will be used to answer the whispered prayer of someone else. When you feel the gentle urge to be a Good Samaritan, rise to the occasion.

Or maybe YOU are the one stranded at an unfamiliar location in your life like the woman was -- remember God knows exactly where you are and will send you the help you need. Don't be discouraged if people keep passing you buy. The right person with the right heart is on their way to you.

A Good Samaritan IS coming your way. And when things get better for you, it's your turn to be one.

~ Sharmaine L. Hobbs ~

Sharmaine is from Virginia and an inspirational writer and speaker and spiritual coach who founded The Metamorphosis Movement. She is on a mission to reach 100,000 women in 2008 to inspire, uplift and empower them to become the woman they were born to be. Her outreach is through her website http://www.whenwomenawaken.com
Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #291
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #292
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.
These are such true words! I have done this most of my life. I am now living in the house that I said years ago I would NEVER live in! It had belonged to my in-laws and I never liked it, so this is an example of changing the way I think. We moved here to the city four years ago and I have never been happier! The Lord showed me that sometimes we need to have an attitude adjustment that is for our benefit.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #293
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Barb, I, too, am living in a house that I did not like and had only planned to stay for maybe a year or two at the very most.

Well, now nearly 39 years later... God has taught me to be content and grateful. The Lord is giving Reynold and me a real blessing in allowing us to expand our home with a new family room/kitchen plus a laundry room on the first floor. PTL!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #294
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Barb, I, too, am living in a house that I did not like and had only planned to stay for maybe a year or two at the very most.

Well, now nearly 39 years later... God has taught me to be content and grateful. The Lord is giving Reynold and me a real blessing in allowing us to expand our home with a new family room/kitchen plus a laundry room on the first floor. PTL!
Isn't it wonderful how God changes 'US' to fit into His plan? So much to be thankful for each day! I have learned to be content with all that I do have and not try to be something I am not.

I have found so many blessings in conversing with friends I have met on SCS. God has broadened my horizons with praying together with and for my SCS friends. He has shown me a new way to share my faith through the computer messages.

Thank you all for your friendship!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #295
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

As the Olympic Games open in Beijing, my thoughts go back to Eric Liddell, a former champion immortalized for his surprising gold medal victory in the 400 meters during the 1924 Games in Paris. A year after his triumph, Liddell went to China, where he spent the last 20 years of his life as a missionary teacher and rural pastor. There he ran the greatest race of his life against opponents we all knowódifficult circumstances, war, uncertainty, and disease.

Crowded into a Japanese internment camp with 1,500 other people, Eric lived out the words he had paraphrased from 1 Corinthians 13:6-8ó ďLove is never glad when others go wrong. Love finds no pleasure in injustice, but rejoices in the truth. Love is always slow to expose, it knows how to be silent. Love is always eager to believe the best about a person. Love is full of hope, full of patient endurance; love never fails.Ē

Eric served the others in camp, whether carrying water for the elderly or refereeing games for the teens. When he died of a brain tumor in February 1945, one internee described him as a man ďwho lived better than he preached.Ē

In lifeís most difficult race, Eric Liddell crossed the finish line victorious through love. ó David C. McCasland

O for a love that knows no end,
A love that is strong and pure,
Reaching afar to both foe and friend,
So deep it will always endure. óR. De Haan

Love enables us to walk fearlessly, to run confidently, and to live victoriously.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #296
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I don't know what kind of weather you are having where you live, but here in Maryland we have had a 'rare' day for August! Usually hot and muggy, we have the opposite....bright, breezy, low humidity....makes you feel renewed and invigorated......didn't get to stamp but got lots of housework done and enjoyed the wonderful aroma of fresh air dried sheets..(better than usual!)......Wishing all of you an enjoyable weekend, my friends!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #297
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgstamps4fun View Post
I don't know what kind of weather you are having where you live, but here in Maryland we have had a 'rare' day for August! Usually hot and muggy, we have the opposite....bright, breezy, low humidity....makes you feel renewed and invigorated......didn't get to stamp but got lots of housework done and enjoyed the wonderful aroma of fresh air dried sheets..(better than usual!)......Wishing all of you an enjoyable weekend, my friends!
Here in Southeastern Ohio it was really nice yesterday, too. And this morning's temp is in the 50s. I love the cooler weather!
Stampin' Up Demo
My Blog
Old 08-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #298
Die Cut Diva

I also live in the mid-Atlantic area and we are so grateful for the refreshing change from the heat and humidity!

Rita
Old 08-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #299
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamping Servant View Post
I also live in the mid-Atlantic area and we are so grateful for the refreshing change from the heat and humidity!

Rita
Hey, we in the mid-Atlantic region should plan a get together.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #300
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile BEST JOB IN ALL THE WORLD

Best Job In All The World

I've been a mom (mother) for over 15 years now, and along with gaining spider veins, 25 pounds, and a few dozen worry wrinkles, I've also gained knowledge.

For instance, I learned a major lesson when my darling daughter, age 3, put her peanut butter sandwich in the VCR slot. It seemed she wanted to "watch" her lunch instead of "Little Mermaid". Trust me... VCR's do not eject Peanut Butter Sandwiches!

In the twelve years since that sticky incident, I've also learned the following gems of wisdom:

1. A new mom really can get by on 3 hours and seventeen minutes of sleep per night. You could use the bags under your eyes to pack for a cruise, but at least the sweet smell of poopy diapers can act as smelling salts to revive you.

2. If it's 2am and your toddler whines, "Mommy, my tummy hurts!", you have three seconds to react before his stomach contents wind up on your pillow case.

3. A two year old can stuff half a purple crayon up his nose in the time it takes to tie your 4-year-old's shoe.

4. Your proudly potty-trained 3-yr-old will always have to "go" after she's bundled into long underwear, pants, and a snow suit.

5. A mom can have a 102 degree fever, hacking cough, and horrible rash, but she still has to make supper, make a cover for a 6th grade Science book, and take a sliver out of an 8-year-old's finger.

6. If head lice is invading your son's class, he'll pick that day to borrow Josh's comb (even though he usually never combs his hair).

7. A teenager may call your jokes lame -- but she usually repeats them to her friends.

8. Nothing feels better after a hard day at the office, dentist, or tax accountant, than a big hug and sticky "tootsie roll" kiss from your favorite kid.

9. The best presents are not made of gold or silver, but consist of uncooked macaroni noodles glued to a jar and sprayed with paint.

10. Being a Mom is the best job in the world, and it's truly worth the spider veins, extra pounds and extra wrinkles.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #301
Stampin' Fool

How true, How true!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #302
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

The best way to forget your own problems is to help someone solve theirs.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #303
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Perfect Peace

There once was a King who offered a prize to the artist who would paint the best picture of peace. Many artists tried. The King looked at all the pictures, but there were only two he really liked and he had to choose between them.

One picture was of a calm lake. The lake was a perfect mirror for peaceful towering mountains were all around it. Overhead was a blue sky with fluffy white clouds. All who saw this picture thought that it was a perfect picture of peace.

The other picture had mountains too. But these were rugged and bare. Above was an angry sky from which rain fell, in which lightening played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a foaming waterfall. This did not look peaceful at all.

But when the King looked, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush growing in a crack in the rock. In the bush a mother bird had built her nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest ... perfect peace.

Which picture do you think won the prize?

The King chose the second picture.

Do you know why?

"Because," explained the King, "peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart. That is the real meaning of peace."

John 16:33 (NLT) "I have told you all this so that you may have 'peace' in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
Old 08-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #304
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
~Mark Twain

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!

~George Elliston

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.
~Oscar Wilde

How far that little candle throws his beams!
So shines a good deed in a weary world.
~William Shakespeare
Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #305
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Hello Everyone! Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #306
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
Perfect Peace

There once was a King who offered a prize to the artist who would paint the best picture of peace. Many artists tried. The King looked at all the pictures, but there were only two he really liked and he had to choose between them.

One picture was of a calm lake. The lake was a perfect mirror for peaceful towering mountains were all around it. Overhead was a blue sky with fluffy white clouds. All who saw this picture thought that it was a perfect picture of peace.

The other picture had mountains too. But these were rugged and bare. Above was an angry sky from which rain fell, in which lightening played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a foaming waterfall. This did not look peaceful at all.

But when the King looked, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush growing in a crack in the rock. In the bush a mother bird had built her nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest ... perfect peace.

Which picture do you think won the prize?

The King chose the second picture.

Do you know why?

"Because," explained the King, "peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart. That is the real meaning of peace."

John 16:33 (NLT) "I have told you all this so that you may have 'peace' in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Caterina, I just got around to reading this post. What an awesome thought. I could almost see that mother bird as I was reading it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #307
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

MariLynn, glad to know it was a blessing to you.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #308
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Heaven's Grocery Store

I was walking down life's highway a long time ago.
One day I saw a sign that read "Heaven's Grocery Store".
As I got a little closer, the door came open wide.
When I came to myself, I was standing just inside.
I saw a host of angels. They were standing everywhere.
One handed me a basket and said, "My child, please shop with care".
Everything a Christian needed was in that Grocery Store.
All you couldn't carry, you could come back the next day for.
First, I got some PATIENCE; LOVE was in the very same row.
Further down was UNDERSTANDING, you needed it wherever you go.
I got a box or two of WISDOM, a bag or two of FAITH.
I just couldn't miss the HOLY SPIRIT, for He was all over the place!!
I stopped to get some STRENGTH and COURAGE to help me run this race.
By then my basket was getting full but...I remembered I needed some GRACE!
I didn't forget SALVATION, for SALVATION was free.
So I tried to get enough of that to save both you and me.
Then I started up to the counter to pay my grocery bill,
for I thought I had everything to do my Master's will.
As I wind up the aisle I saw PRAYER and I just had to put that in.
For I knew when I stepped outside, I would run right into sin.
PEACE and JOY were plentiful; they were on the last shelf.
SONGS and PRAISES were hanging near, so I just helped myself.
Then I said to the angel, "How much do I owe?"
He just smiled and said, "Just take them everywhere you go."
Again I smiled at him and said, "How much do I owe?"
He smiled again and said......
"My child, JESUS PAID YOUR BILL A LONG TIME AGO!"
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #309
Mississippi McGyver

My mother in law sent this to me and I thought I would share! May you notice the birdies around you today!

On July 22nd I was in route to Washington , DC for a
> > business trip. It was all so very ordinary, until we
> > landed in Denver for a plane change.
> > As I collected my belongings from the overhead bin, an
> > announcement was made for Mr.. Lloyd Glenn to see
> > the United Customer Service Representative immediately.
> >
> > I thought nothing of it until I reached the door to leave
> > the plane and I heard a gentleman asking every male if he
> > were Mr. Glenn. At this point I knew something was wrong
> > and my heart sunk.
> >
> > When I got off the plane a solemn-faced young man came
> > toward me and said, 'Mr.Glenn, there is an emergency
> > at your home. I do not know what the emergency is, or who
> > is involved, but I will take you to the phone so you can
> > call the hospital.' My heart was now pounding, but the
> > will to be calm took over. Woodenly, I followed this
> > stranger to the distant telephone where I called the
> > number he gave me for the Mission Hospital My call was put
> > through to the trauma center where I learned that my
> > three-year-old son had been trapped underneath the
> > automatic garage door for several minutes, and that when
> > my wife had found him he was dead. CPR had been performed by
> > a neighbor, who is
> > a doctor, and the paramedics had continued the treatment
> > as Brian was
> > transported to the hospital.
> >
> > By the time of my call, Brian was revived
> > and they believed he would live, but they did not know
> > how much damage had been done to his brain, nor to his
> > heart. They explained that the door had completely closed on
> > his little sternum right over his heart. He had been
> > severely crushed. After speaking with the medical staff,
> > my wife sounded worried but not
> > hysterical, and I took comfort in her calmness.
> >
> > The return flight seemed to last forever, but finally I
> > arrived at the hospital six hours after the garage door
> > had come down. When I walked into the intensive care unit,
> > nothing could have prepared me to see my little son laying
> > so still on a great big bed with tubes and monitors
> > everywhere. He was on a respirator. I glanced at my wife
> > who stood and tried to give me a reassuring smile. It all
> > seemed like a terrible dream. I was filled-in with the
> > details and given a guarded prognosis. Brian was going to
> > live, and the preliminary tests indicated that his heart
> > was OK, two miracles in and of themselves. But only time
> > would tell if his brain received any damage.
> >
> > Throughout the seemingly endless hours, my wife was calm.
> > She felt that Brian would eventually be all right. I hung
> > on to her words and faith like a lifeline. All that night
> > and the next day Brian remained
> > unconscious. It seemed like forever since I had left for my
> > business trip the
> > day before.
> >
> > Finally at two o'clock that afternoon, our son
> > regained consciousness and sat up uttering the most
> > beautiful words I have ever heard spoken. He said,
> > 'Daddy hold me' and he reached for me with his
> > little arms.
> >
> > [TEAR BREAK...smile]
> >
> > By the next day he was pronounced as
> > having no neurological or physical deficits, and the
> > story of his miraculous
> > survival spread throughout the hospital. You cannot
> > imagine, we took Brian home, we felt a unique reverence
> > for the life and love of our Heavenly Father that comes to
> > those who brush death so closely.
> >
> > In the days that followed there was a special spirit
> > about our home. Our two older children were much closer to
> > their little brother. My wife and I were much closer to
> > each other, and all of us were very close as a whole
> > family Life took on a less stressful pace. Perspective
> > seemed to be more focused, and balance much easier to gain
> > and maintain. We felt deeply blessed. Our gratitude was
> > truly profound.
> >
> > The story is not over (smile)!
> >
> > Almost a month later to the day of the
> > accident, Brian awoke from his afternoon nap and said,
> > 'Sit down Mommy.... I
> > have something to tell you.' At this time in his
> > life, Brian usually spoke in small phrases, so to say a
> > large sentence surprised my wife. She sat down with
> > him on his bed, and he began his sacred and remarkable
> > story.
> >
> > 'Do you remember when I got stuck under the garage
> > door? Well, it was so heavy and it hurt really bad. I
> > called to you, but you couldn't hear me.. I started to
> > cry, but then it hurt too bad. And then the
> > 'birdies' came.'
> >
> > 'The birdies?' my wife asked puzzled.
> >
> > 'Yes,' he replied. 'The birdies made a whoo
> > shing sound and flew into the garage. They took care of
> > me.'
> >
> > 'They did?'
> >
> > 'Yes,' he said. 'One of the birdies came and
> > got you. She came to tell you 'I got stuck under the
> > door.' A sweet reverent feeling filled the room. The
> > spirit was so strong and yet lighter than air. My wife
> > realized that a three-year-old had no concept of death and
> > spirits, so he was referring to the beings who came to him
> > from beyond as 'birdies' because they were up in
> > the air like birds that fly.. 'What did the birdies
> > look like?' she asked.
> >
> > Brian answered, 'They were so beautiful. They were
> > dressed in white, all white. Some of them had green and
> > white. But some of them had on just white.'
> >
> > 'Did they say anything?'
> >
> > 'Yes,' he answered. 'They told me the baby
> > would be all right.'
> >
> > 'The baby?' my wife asked confused.
> >
> > Brian answered. 'The baby laying on the garage
> > floor.' He went on, 'You came out and opened the
> > garage door and ran to the baby. You told the baby to stay
> > and not leave.'
> >
> >
> > My wife nearly collapsed upon hearing this, for she had
> > indeed gone and knelt beside Brian's body and seeing his
> > crushed chest whispered, 'Don't leave
> > us Brian, please stay if you can.' As she listened to
> > Brian telling her the words she had spoken, she realized
> > that the spirit had left His body and was looking down
> > from above on this little lifeless form.. 'Then what
> > happened?' she asked.
> >
> > 'We went on a trip,' he said, 'far, far
> > away.' He grew agitated trying to say the things he
> > didn't seem to have the words for. My wife tried to calm
> > and comfort him, and let him know it would be okay. He
> > struggled with wanting to tell something that obviously
> > was very important to him, but finding the words was
> > difficult.
> >
> > 'We flew so fast up in the air. They're so
> > pretty Mommy,' he added.
> >
> > 'And there are lots and lots of birdies.' My wife
> > was stunned. Into her mind the
> > sweet comforting spirit enveloped her more soundly, but
> > with an urgency she had never before known. Brian went on
> > to tell her that the 'birdies' had told him
> > that he had to come back and tell everyone about the
> > 'birdies.' He said they brought him back to the
> > house and that a big fire truck, and an ambulance were
> > there. A man was bringing the baby out on a white bed and
> > he tried to tell the man that the baby would be okay. The
> > story went on for an hour.
> >
> > He taught us that 'birdies' were always with us,
> > but we don't see them because we look with our eyes
> > and we don't hear them because we listen with our
> > ears. But they are always there, you can only see them in
> > here (he put his hand over his
> > heart). They whisper the things to help us to do what is
> > right because they love
> > us so much. Brian continued, stating, 'I have a plan,
> > Mommy. You have a plan..
> > Daddy has a plan. Everyone has a plan. We must all live our
> > plan and keep our
> > promises. The birdies help us to do that cause they love us
> > so much.'
> >
> > In the weeks that followed, he often came to us and told
> > all, or part of it, again
> > and again. Always the story remained the same. The
> > details were never changed or
> > out of order A few times he added further bits of
> > information and clarified the
> > message he had already delivered. It never ceased to
> > amaze us how he could tell such detail and speak beyond
> > his ability when he talked about his birdies.
> >
> > Everywhere he went, he told strangers about the
> > 'birdies.' Surprisingly, no one ever looked at him
> > strangely when he did this. Rather, they always got a
> > softened look on their face and smiled. Needless to say,
> > we have not been the same ever since that day, and I pray we
> > never will be.
> >
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #310
Mississippi McGyver

Caterina, what a neat story about heaven's grocery store.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #311
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

MariLynn, what an incredibly beautiful inspiring story - thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #312
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Ladies: I had joined Chemo Card Angels back in February and was assigned a patient who is just 11 years old (oh, she just turned 12 in July). She had two brain tumors one was operable and one was not. She has had such a hard run since last November. She was just let out of the hospital about 4 weeks ago, she had liver surgery and some others due to complications from the chemo and the cancer.

A lovely group of women have started a 8 x 8 page swap for her. If anyone is interested in checking it out it is here:

RAK 8 X 8 Quick swap Postal! Thanks all

I hope each and everyone one of you has a blessed day today, this is a great group out here!

Hugs & blessings,
Michele
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #313
Stampin' Fool

Thank you Marilynn for sharing that wonderful story and thank your mil for sending it to you! And people deny that there is a God? I am surely thankful I know my Savior lives!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #314
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

A minister passing through his church
in the middle of the day,
Decided to pause by the altar
and see who had come to pray.
Just then the back door opened,
a man came down the aisle,
The minister frowned as he saw
the man hadn't shaved in a while.
His shirt was kind a shabby
and his coat was worn and frayed,
the man knelt, he bowed his head,
Then rose and walked away.
In the days that followed,
each noon time came this chap,
each time he knelt just for a moment,
A lunch pail in his lap.
Well, the minister's suspicions grew,
with robbery a main fear,
He decided to stop the man and ask him,
"What are you doing here?"
The old man said, he worked down the road.
Lunch was half an hour.
Lunchtime was his prayer time,
For finding strength and power.
"I stay only moments, see,
because the factory is so far away;
as I kneel here talking to the Lord,
This is kind a what I say:

"I JUST CAME AGAIN TO TELL YOU, LORD,
HOW HAPPY I'VE BEEN,
SINCE WE FOUND EACH OTHER'S FRIENDSHIP
AND YOU TOOK AWAY MY SIN.
DON'T KNOW MUCH OF HOW TO PRAY,
BUT I THINK ABOUT YOU EVERYDAY.
SO, JESUS, THIS IS JIM
CHECKING IN TODAY."

The minister feeling foolish,
told Jim, that was fine.
He told the man he was welcome
To come and pray just anytime.
Time to go, Jim smiled, said "Thanks."
He hurried to the door.
The minister knelt at the altar,
he'd never done it before.
His cold heart melted, warmed with love,
and met with Jesus there.
As the tears flowed, in his heart,
he repeated old Jim's prayer:

"I JUST CAME AGAIN TO TELL YOU, LORD,
HOW HAPPY I'VE BEEN,
SINCE WE FOUND EACH OTHER'S FRIENDSHIP
AND YOU TOOK AWAY MY SIN.
I DON'T KNOW MUCH OF HOW TO PRAY, BUT
I THINK ABOUT YOU EVERYDAY.
SO, JESUS, THIS IS ME CHECKING IN TODAY"

Past noon one day, the minister noticed
that old Jim hadn't come.
As more days passed without Jim,
he began to worry some.
At the factory, he asked about him,
learning he was ill.
The hospital staff was worried,
But he'd given them a thrill.
The week that Jim was with them,
Brought changes in the ward.
His smiles, a joy contagious.
Changed people, were his reward.
The head nurse couldn't understand
why Jim was so glad,
when no flowers, calls or cards came,
Not a visitor he had.
The minister stayed by his bed,
He voiced the nurse's concern,
No friends came to show they cared.
He had nowhere to turn.
Looking surprised, old Jim spoke
up and with a winsome smile;
"the nurse is wrong, she couldn't know,
that in here all the while
everyday at noon He's here,
a dear friend of mine, you see,
He sits right down, takes my hand,
Leans over and says to me:"

I JUST CAME AGAIN TO TELL YOU, JIM,
HOW HAPPY I HAVE BEEN,
SINCE WE FOUND THIS FRIENDSHIP,
AND I TOOK AWAY YOUR SIN.
ALWAYS LOVE TO HEAR YOU PRAY,
I THINK ABOUT YOU EACH DAY,
AND SO JIM, THIS IS JESUS
CHECKING IN TODAY.

For those who are already His, He not
only holds us in the palm of His hand, but has
engraved our names there, and we are continually
in His sight (Isaiah 49:16)

"I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me." Phil 4:13

Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #315
Mississippi McGyver

Caterina, thanks for sharing that really neat poem. I thank God for the blessing that you are to so many's lives.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #316
Stampin' Fool

That was another lovely message, Caterina, thank you once again.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #317
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Grace

I purchased another used car recently. With the price of gas soaring I was in need of a smaller vehicle that could get me better mileage. I found just such a car at a tiny lot just a few miles from my home. I named the car, "Little Gracie" because I felt it was by the Grace of God that I had found such a great car, in such good shape, for such a low price, and from such a gracious dealer. I smile with delight now every time I ride in my "Little Gracie." She handles like a dream, sips gas, and is a joy to drive. Most of all, though, she reminds me that Godís grace surrounds us always in this life. All we have to do is accept it into our hearts.

Godís grace has been with me all through my own life even when I didnít realize it. His grace has saved me from harm many times both as a child and an adult. His grace has stayed by my side even during those times when I only wanted to listen to my own ego. His grace has been with me through pain, problems, grief, suffering, tragedies, and even despair. His grace has even reached down and picked me up when I hit rock bottom a few times. Godís grace has been all around me as I struggled with it, learned from it, and grew in faith and love because of it.

Godís grace is with me now as I write and share this with you. Ralph Waldo Emerson himself said that "All writing comes by the Grace of God, and all doing and having." The truth is that Godís grace isnít just for helping you get through this life. It is for helping you to live it too. It is only with Godís grace that you can live fully. It is only with Godís grace that you can give totally. It is only with Godís grace that you can love unconditionally.

May you always accept and welcome Godís love and grace into your life. May you always fill your days, your heart, and your soul with it. May you always find the greatest joy in life by sharing it with others as well.

~ Joseph J. Mazzella ~
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #318
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted hello To all the need a lift today..... For I to need a lift today for I am not feeling well.... As well as fight with everyday stuggles....
But I just reminder everyone God's right by each of sindes and HE Can Lifted Us When onone He can! this verse come to mine: And I just wanted to share it.... thank for letting me share my thoughts

9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #319
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Welcome Hotwheels and thanks for your sweet post. Sorry you are not feeling well and pray you will wake up tomorrow feeling much better.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #320
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
I just wanted hello To all the need a lift today..... For I to need a lift today for I am not feeling well.... As well as fight with everyday stuggles....
But I just reminder everyone God's right by each of sindes and HE Can Lifted Us When onone He can! this verse come to mine: And I just wanted to share it.... thank for letting me share my thoughts

9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Hello Hotwheels,

Wishing you well and hope that you will be feeling much better very soon. You will find friends here who care about each other.

Hugs for you!