Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree397Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #201
Stampin' Fool

Location: Rockville, Maryland, near my family.... enjoying my grandkids!
Send a message via Yahoo to bsgstamps4fun
Smile My thoughts on July 4th!

Everyone has a safe and happy 4th. If you don't have family close, then call them, fly our flag proudly, remember our forefathers who fought to secure a land where everyone could live in in freedom. I know that all of us have not have the freedoms that were fought for but America is still trying to attain this. We do not have dictators, we do have choices. Choose to treat people equally no matter what there circumstances are. This is America......set an example for others. Perform random acts of kindness not wanting recognition or praise and you will be blessed. Just a thought not a sermon!
Blog: Albums+Cards=Blessings
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #202
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgstamps4fun View Post
I am so used to reading thoughts from you, Caterina, and am missing your entries. I hope you are well and just away, not ill. I am sure that all of us who read this thread are wishing you well and praying for you as always.
Lots of BIG HUGS!

Caterina was planning to be on vacation for a few days. I am praying that she is getting lots of rest and a time of refreshment.

Blessings to you,

Rita
Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #203
Die Cut Diva

This is most likely a fictional story, but I was encouraged by the message and thought I'd share it with you.

The Piano Player

Wishing to encourage her young son’s progress on the piano, a mother took the small boy to a Paderewski concert. After they were seated, the mother spotted a friend in the audience and walked down the aisle to greet her.

Seizing the opportunity to explore the wonders of the concert hall, the little boy rose and eventually explored his way through a door marked ‘NO ADMITTANCE".

When the house lights dimmed and the concert was about to begin, the mother returned to her seat and discovered that her son was missing. Suddenly, the curtains parted and the spotlights focused on the impressive Steinway on stage.

In horror, the mother saw her little boy sitting at the piano, innocently picking out "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". At that moment, the great piano master made his entrance, quickly moved to the piano, and whispered in the boy’s ear, "Don’t quit. Keep playing". Then leaning over, Paderewski reached down with his left hand and began filling in a bass part. Soon his right hand reached around the other side of the child and he added a running obligato. Together, the old master and the young novice transferred a frightening situation into a wonderfully creative experience. The audience was mesmerized.

That’s the way it is with God. What we can accomplish on our own is hardly noteworthy. We try our best, but the results aren’t exactly graceful flowing music. With the hand of God, our life’s work truly can be beautiful.

So the next time you set out to accomplish great feats, listen carefully and you can hear the voice of God whispering in your ear, "Don’t quit. Keep playing". Feel His loving arms around you. Know that His strong hands are playing the concerto of your life.

Rita
Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #204
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamping Servant View Post
Caterina was planning to be on vacation for a few days. I am praying that she is getting lots of rest and a time of refreshment.

Blessings to you,

Rita
Thanks Rita, I was hoping that was the case and that she wasn't ill.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #205
Die Cut Diva

CELEBRATING INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

The Boys of Iwo Jima
(From the book: Heart Touchers "Life-Changing Stories of Faith, Love, and Laughter)

by Michael T. Powers

Each year my video production company is hired to go to Washington, D.C. with the eighth grade class from Clinton, Wisconsin where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave men raising the American flag at the top of Mount Surabachi on the Island of Iwo Jima, Japan during WW II. Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, "What's your name and where are you guys from?

I told him that my name was Michael Powers and that we were from Clinton, Wisconsin.

"Hey, I'm a Cheesehead, too! Come gather around Cheeseheads, and I will tell you a story."

James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, D.C. to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good-night to his dad, who had previously passed away, but whose image is part of the statue. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington, D.C. but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night. When all had gathered around he reverently began to speak. Here are his words from that night:

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called Flags of Our Fathers which is #5 on the New York Times Best Seller list right now. It is the story of the six boys you see behind me. Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game, a game called "War." But it didn't turn out to be a game. Harlon, at the age of twenty-one, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out; I say that because there are generals who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were seventeen, eighteen, and nineteen years old.

(He pointed to the statue)

You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken, and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph. A photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for protection, because he was scared. He was eighteen years old. Boys won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not old men.

The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the "old man" because he was so old. He was already twenty-four. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, "Let's go kill the enemy" or "Let's die for our country." He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, "You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers."

The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, "You're a hero." He told reporters, "How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only twenty-seven of us walked off alive?"

So you take your class at school. 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only twenty-seven of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes died dead drunk, face down at the age of thirty-two, ten years after this picture was taken.

The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky, a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, "Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epson salts. Those cows crapped all night."

Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of nineteen. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning. The neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Kronkite's producers, or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say, "No, I'm sorry sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back."

My dad never fished or even went to Canada. Usually he was sitting right there at the table eating his Campbell's soup, but we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press. You see, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died, and when boys died in Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed in pain.

When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, "I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. DID NOT come back."

So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Suddenly the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero in his own eyes, but a hero nonetheless.

Michael T. Powers

Michael believes that life is not about religion, but about a relationship -- a relationship with Jesus Christ. HeartTouchers@aol.com

Copyright © 2000 by Michael T. Powers
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #206
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for posting that wonderful message. Food for thought for all of us. May God bless each and everyone on this day of America's Birthday and be ever present with the brave men and women who continue to fight for freedom!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #207
Die Cut Diva

THE HUMMINGBIRD
ON WINGS OF HOPE

With wings spun of silver
And hearts of gold,
These tiny creatures
Our hearts behold.

Angelic features
And colors so bright
Make even the heaviest
Heart seem light.

The magical way
They flit through the sky -
They appear, then vanish
In the blink of an eye.

They're sending a message
For us to retrieve -
Anything's possible
For those who believe!

....... Pattie Copenhaver
Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #208
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamping Servant View Post
THE HUMMINGBIRD
ON WINGS OF HOPE

With wings spun of silver
And hearts of gold,
These tiny creatures
Our hearts behold.

Angelic features
And colors so bright
Make even the heaviest
Heart seem light.

The magical way
They flit through the sky -
They appear, then vanish
In the blink of an eye.

They're sending a message
For us to retrieve -
Anything's possible
For those who believe!

....... Pattie Copenhaver
Lovely poem, Rita, thank you!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #209
Die Cut Diva

Hop on and Take a Ride Through the Country!

~ Proverbs 15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast ~

A new driver for an interstate trucking company was having a difficult time. He found the long cross-country trips extremely tiring. The older driver who traveled with him, however, seemed to thrive on those long trips. He always seemed to look as fresh at the end of the ride as he did at the beginning.

One day, the young man asked the older what his secret was. “Well, it’s really all in the way you look at it,” he replied. “While you went to work this morning, I went for a ride through the country.”

Our focus will determine whether life is work or a ride in the country. We are privileged to be here in this day and age. God is doing awesome things right before our eyes and He’s allowing us to take part!

Let’s get excited about taking a ride with the Lord today! He has great things to show us and teach us along the way!

---------
Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #210
Stampin' Fool

Thanks again, Rita!
Everyone check out the thread Unusual Request in this forum. I will try to give you the page # you can find Shellapoo's gallery link.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #211
Stampin' Fool

There may be an easier way to find the gallery, but here is how I did it. Went to member gallery, letter 's' 18 listings to a page, shellapoo is on pg. 50. Her gallery is so nice and worth finding.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #212
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgstamps4fun View Post
Thanks again, Rita!
Everyone check out the thread Unusual Request in this forum. I will try to give you the page # you can find Shellapoo's gallery link.
Thanks Barb for calling our attention to this request. I thoroughly enjoyed her gallery and was especially blessed by the fact that many of her cards are created to encourage someone else.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #213
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Want to say thanks to Rita, (Stamping Servant) for all her beautiful posts while away for a little R & R.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 AM   #214
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Caterina, glad to see your back and hope you enjoyed your r&r! I hope everyone is doing well and had a nice weekend. Have a blessed day everyone!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #215
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Want to say thanks to Rita, (Stamping Servant) for all her beautiful posts while away for a little R & R.

HAPPY DAY .... Caterina's back! We missed you and are so glad you had a good vacation!

Blessings,

Rita
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Looking For Beauty

Many people like me feel slightly passed over in a world that seems to place a high value on beauty. But a short poem by Anthony Ewell reminds us that physical attractiveness can be over-rated. He writes:

"As a beauty I am not a great star,
There are others more handsome by far.
But my face, I don't mind it,
For I am behind it,
It's the people in front who get the jar!"

Physically, maybe I'm not the stuff dreams are made of. And maybe, as the poem suggests, it doesn't matter. Because I believe there is another kind of beauty in all of us that can be experienced by anybody who digs a little deeper.

Several times I have visited a natural wonder that is one of the largest and most spectacular of its kind in the world. Carlsbad Caverns is an immense series of limestone caves extending under much of southern New Mexico (USA). Native Americans took refuge in the gaping hole that is the main entrance, but they did not venture far. A hundred years ago settlers in the area were attracted to the opening by the awesome sight of hundreds of thousands of bats swarming from the hole every summer evening. Though a bat guano mining operation was set up, nobody explored much beyond the bat's dwelling places.

Eventually, a cowboy name Jim White explored deeper. He returned with fantastic stories of gigantic subterranean chambers, spectacular cave formations and unbelievably stupendous sights. Even in 1915, after black and white photographs were taken of the caverns, many did not believe. The government sent skeptic Robert Holley to investigate in 1923. He wrote in his final report, "I am wholly conscious of the feebleness of my efforts to convey in words the deep conflicting emotions, the feeling of fear and awe, and the desire for an inspired understanding of the Divine Creator's work which presents to the human eye such a complex aggregate of natural wonders."

A whole new world - majestic, wondrous and awe-inspiring - lay hidden from view. Its unimagined beauty can only be experienced by exploring beneath the surface.

And so it is with people. I have found in people a unique inner beauty that can be discovered by exploring beneath the surface. They may not believe it is there themselves, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Those outward looks we're usually so self-conscious about don't matter much. Who people really are may be hidden beneath the outer landscape like a magnificent subterranean palace. And when you care to scratch the surface a bit, you can discover what others have missed.

And you will be rewarded beyond measure.

~ Steve Goodier ~
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #217
Stampin' Fool

And so it is with people. I have found in people a unique inner beauty that can be discovered by exploring beneath the surface. They may not believe it is there themselves, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Those outward looks we're usually so self-conscious about don't matter much. Who people really are may be hidden beneath the outer landscape like a magnificent subterranean palace. And when you care to scratch the surface a bit, you can discover what others have missed.

And you will be rewarded beyond measure.

~ Steve Goodier ~ [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely true! In a society where so much emphasis is put on youth and so called physical beauty, it would do us all good to remember to look for the inner beauty of a person.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #218
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Time for a chuckle

Miracle Doctor

A new miracle doctor was in town. He could cure anything and anybody, and everyone was amazed with what he can do.

Everyone except for Mr. Smith, the town grouch.

So Mr. Smith went to this 'miracle doctor' to prove that he wasn't anybody special. So he goes and tells the doctor, "Hey, doc, I have lost my sense of taste. I can't taste 'nothin, so what are 'ya going to do?"

The doctor scratches his head and mumbles to himself a little, then tells Mr. Smith, "What you need is jar number 43."

Jar number 43? Mr. Smith wonders.

So the doctor brings the jar and tells Mr. Smith to taste it. He tastes it and immediately spits it out, "This is gross!" he yells.

"I just restored your sense of taste Mr. Smith," says the doctor.

So Mr. Smith goes home very mad.

One month later, Mr. Smith goes back to the doctor along with a new problem, "Doc," he starts, "I can't remember!"

Thinking he got the doctor, the doctor scratches his head and mumbles to himself a little and tells Mr. Smith, "What you need is jar number 43..."

Before the doctor finished his sentence, Mr. Smith fled the town.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #219
Stampin' Fool

Oh, that is a good one! Chuckling!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #220
Insane Embellisher

Stamping Servant, I really enjoyed reading your posts while Caterina was away! You're a real jewel!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #221
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheila Kirwan View Post
Stamping Servant, I really enjoyed reading your posts while Caterina was away! You're a real jewel!

You're so sweet .... and you've made my day! Thank you!

Hugs,

Rita
Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #222
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheila Kirwan View Post
I am in total agreement!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #223
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Rita, you did do a great job and are truly a blessed jewel.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #224
Die Cut Diva

Barb and Caterina .... you gals are making me blush!! Seriously, all of us need encouragement and the warm friendship we receive on this thread.

Caterina, only the Lord knows how many people have felt {{ HUGGED }} and encouraged since you began this thread. You're always so faithful to have an uplifting message waiting for us. So many of you gals post sweet messages; I'm grateful to all of you!

Blessings!

Rita
Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #225
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

<>< <>< <>< ><> <>< <><

Psalm 23

The Lord is my real boss, and I shall not want.
He gives me peace, when chaos is all around me.
He gently reminds me to pray and do all things without
murmuring and complaining.

He reminds me that He is my source and not my job.
He restores my sanity everyday and guides my decisions
that I might honor Him in all that I do.

Even though I face absurd amounts of e-mails, system
crashes, unrealistic deadlines, budget cutbacks, gossiping
co-workers, discriminating supervisors and an aging body
that doesn't cooperate every morning, I still will not stop---
for He is with me! His presence, His peace, and His power
will see me through.

He raises me up, even when they fail to promote me.
He claims me as His own, even when the company threatens
to let me go. His Faithfulness and love is better than any bonus check

His retirement plan beats any 401k there is!

When it's all said and done, I'll be working for Him a whole lot longer and for that, I BLESS HIS NAME!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #226
Stampin' Fool

Interesting paraphrase in today's language. Put's the Psalm in a new perspective, doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #227
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Living Life To The Fullest

Living Life To The Fullest

A great story comes out of American baseball. Even if you don’t like or understand the game, I think you will enjoy this story.

One night, a Dodgers minor league team coached by legendary Tommy Lasorda was leading a Tucson, Arizona team by one run in the eighth inning, but Tucson had the bases loaded with two outs. According to Don Martin in Team Think (Penguin books, Ltd., 1993), Lasorda decided to pep up his pitcher, a left-hander named Bobby O'Brien.

Lasorda slowly walked out to the mound and said, "Bobby, if the heavens opened up right now and you could hear the voice of the Big Dodger in the sky and he said to you, 'Bobby, you're going to die and come up to heaven, and this is the last batter you're ever going to face,' how would you like the meet the Lord, getting this man out or letting him get a hit from you?"

"I'd want to face him getting this guy out," O'Brien replied.

"That's right," said Lasorda, "you would. Now, how do you know that after you throw the next pitch you're not going to die? This might really be the last hitter you're ever going to face and if it is, you'll want to face the Lord getting him out."

Lasorda figured it was just about the best pep talk ever and he strutted confidently back to the dugout. O'Brien wound up and threw the pitch. The batter lined a base hit to right field, knocking in two runs.

Lasorda was beside himself. "Bobby, what happened?" he asked.

"It's like this, Skip," said O'Brien. "You had me so worried about dying I couldn't concentrate on the batter!"

I know that many people are worried about dying. In fact, they are so concerned about it they can't even enjoy what is right before them. But there are other people who, when they think about their own death and how little time they may have left, actually live more intentionally and more fully.

Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, a long-time student of death and dying, put it like this: "It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had."

It's true; all of us have a limited time here on earth. But we DO have today.

As for me, I just want to live today as fully as possible -- as if there were not going to be many more tomorrows.

~ Steve Goodier ~
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #228
Stampin' Fool

So true, we should live each day to it's fullest.....Wish there were more hours in a day! I know I will never get everything done, however, I know exactly where I am going when called Home by the Lord and in that regard, I am ready!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #229
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Mark Schultz sings beautiful songs - here is one of my favorites...

Looking back
He sees it all
It was her first date the night he came to call

Her dad said son
Have her home on time
And promise me you'll never leave her side
He took her to a show in town
And he was ten feet off the ground

(Chorus)
He was walking her home
And holding her hand
Oh the way she smiled it stole the breath right out of him
Down that old road
With the stars up above
He remembers where he was the night he fell in love
He was walking her home

Ten more years and a waiting room
At half past one
And the doctor said come in and meet your son

His knees went weak
When he saw his wife
She was smiling as she said he's got your eyes

And as she slept he held her tight
His mind went back to that first night

(Chorus)
He was walking her home
And holding her hand
Oh the way she smiled it stole the breath right out of him
Down that old road
With the stars up above
He remembers where he was the night he fell in love
He was walking her home

He walked her through the best days of her life
Sixty years together and he never left her side

A nursing home
At eighty-five
And the doctor said it could be her last night
And the nurse said Oh
Should we tell him now
Or should he wait until the morning to find out

But when they checked her room that night
He was laying by her side

Oh he was walking her home
And holding her hand
Oh the way she smiled when he said this is not the end
And just for a while they were eighteen
And she was still more beautiful to him than anything
He was walking her home
He was walking her home

Looking back
He sees it all
It was her first date the night he came to call
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #230
Stampin' Fool

That is just lovely! Thank you, Caterina.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #231
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Amen Crackers

Have you ever heard of “Amen Crackers”? I hadn’t either until my granddaughter, Amanda, came for a visit. Amanda is not quite two but ever since her parents taught her to pray she always prays for each individual thing on her plate.

One evening at suppertime Amanda was in the high chair and I went over to the kitchen counter to fill her plate. Her Mother had put three small crackers on her high chair tray to give her something to eat while I fixed her plate. I watched as she bowed her head and touched the first cracker with her index finger and said, “Amen cracker”. She touched the next cracker and said, “Amen cracker”, and then she went to the last cracker, touching it, and again saying, “Amen Cracker.” She thought the tiny crackers were her supper so she was saying her prayers.

Amanda has figured out that prayers have an “amen” in them but sometimes she gets the “amen” at the beginning instead of at the end of her prayers.

I got to thinking about the word, “amen” and I found that in Hebrew the word “amen” means to confirm and it is spoken to state, “so be it”. When we end our prayers with “amen” we are reaffirming our dedication to God. Sometimes church members or congregations say, “Amen”, to show confirmation or agreement when something powerful is spoken from the Word of God.

Amanda’s prayer might seem very simple but maybe she wasn’t so far off in what she was doing because she would have been confirming her dedication to God first of all instead of at the end. At any rate, we can gain wisdom from “the mouths of babes”. I learned several things from Amanda and her “Amen Crackers”.

* I learned that prayer should be a priority.

* I learned that whatever is on my “plate” I should be thankful for it.

* I learned I should keep it simple and be specific.

* I learned to have faith and trust God even when all I have is three crackers.

* I learned it is best to tend to my own crackers that have been provided for me and allow God to fill my plate.

* I learned to be patient. Even if I’m sitting in a high chair, I can’t see what is going on in God’s kitchen from where I sit.

* I learned to thank God for the small things, and not complain, even if all I have is crackers.

* I learned it doesn’t matter if you get the prayer backwards, God hears our hearts.

Have you thanked God for the crackers in your life?

“In everything give thanks for this is the will of Christ Jesus for you.”
(1 Thessalonians. 5:1

Amen,

~ Pamela Perry Blaine ~
pamyblaine@blaines.us

About Pamela: She enjoys writing, music, and country living. She writes "Pam's Corner" for the local newspaper and many of her writings have been published on the internet as well as in several books.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #232
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Real Liberation

I had a remarkable conversation with a woman about physical limitations. Nancy was a sufferer of M.S. She could no longer walk and spent her waking hours in a wheelchair.

"I'm not 'confined' to the wheelchair," she insisted one day. "It doesn't confine me. It sets me free."

I had never thought of it that way. And I have never referred to someone in a wheelchair since as being "confined."

She asked me, "Do you want to know my reason for living?" It seemed like an abrupt change of subject, but I went with it.

"What is it?"

"To liberate people. To set them free."

She must have studied my face and figured I needed more help. "It's like me...before I got my wheelchair, I had trouble getting around," she explained. "Now I can go places. But other people may be trapped in different ways. So however I can free people, I want to do it."

"People speak of being 'shut in,'" she continued. "People who have difficulty leaving a room or a house or a bed are not 'shut in.' They're 'shut out' -- shut out of activities and shut out of people's lives. So I try to help people find some freedom, however I can."

I wonder how she'd handle my limitations, though. I can get around all right, but I hold myself back by my thinking. I say, "We'll never do that!" or "I just don't believe that is possible" and later find that somebody proved me wrong. It's my beliefs and attitudes that cause some of my biggest problems. They are as limiting to me as Nancy's disease is to her.

"Almost everybody walks around with a vast burden of imaginary limitations inside his head," says author J. H. Brennan. "While the burden remains, personal success is as difficult to achieve as the conquest of Everest with a sack of rocks tied to your back."

It IS a burden, isn't it? Like a sack of rocks. Some people carry the burden that they will never be able to pursue a passion or achieve a cherished dream. And some tote around the idea that other people can experience good things of life, or simply be happy, but they never will. Our thinking itself can be as much a burden as climbing a mountain with a sack of rocks tied to our backs.

When I feel "confined" by my thinking, I sometimes ponder these words from Darwin P. Kingsley, past president of New York Life Insurance Company:

"You have powers you never dreamed of.
You can do things you never thought you could do.
There are no limitations in what you can do except
the limitations of your own mind."

Now THAT sets me free! Free to live. Free to risk. Free to move forward. Free to be . . . me.

It's real liberation.

~ Steve Goodier ~
Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #233
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

CELL PHONE vs. BIBLE

I wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phone?

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?

What if we flipped through it several times a day?

What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?

What if we used it to receive messages from the text?

What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?

What if we gave it to kids as gifts?

What if we used it when we traveled?

What if we used it in case of an emergency?

This is something to make you go...."Hmm...where is my Bible?"

Oh, and one more thing.

Unlike our cell phone, we don't have to worry about our
Bible being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill.

Makes you stop and think "where are my priorities"?

Oh, by the way, no dropped calls ever!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #234
Stampin' Fool

How true, Caterina, thank you for the reminder!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #235
Stampin' Fool

Of course, the people who need this reminder the most will never see it!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #236
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

2B Together
It was one of those days. The phone never stopped ringing, people never stopped talking and I never accomplished anything I planned on doing today.

It was Monday. What would the rest of the week be like?

So I did what any grown up should do when overwhelmed by life. I ran away.

Not very far I might add. I sometimes head to the local park, where play ground equipment is made from old hand carved wood and swings touch the sky. Well, almost. At least my feet did.

Yes, I did get on the swing. It's this magical moment that can easily be recaptured with a lot more effort at 50 than I can remember. But I did level it off a few times. My legs were fully extended and my head back as far as I could put it. I felt for the moment like this guy was going over the top.

Awe, the memories!

As I came in for a long, soft landing, I saw a small boy, about six years old, standing patiently nearby. I wish that could be said for his mother. She had that "Oh, grow up!" look on her face. I smiled as I walked past her and said, "Awesome!, Cool!, Wow!, you ought to try it!"

She just shook her head and said, "Jimmy, hurry up. Just two minutes. We have to go."

Poor Jimmy looked frustrated. Any kid knows it will take at least a minute and a half just to get into hyper swing. Well, deep in his heart he knew that was two minutes in "adult time". Mom will say that at least two more times before she really means two minutes.

I walked over to a nearby bench and took out my pen and paper. The real reason I run away to places like this is so I can write. I get inspired by watching people. I love to hear the sounds of life. I love to watch the interaction of people, plants, and animals. In a park, life as you know it is suspended temporarily. It's the way life is meant to be. We mess it all up by jamming everything together and sticking a tree, a rose bush and a potted vegetable garden on the deck. "Oh, the great outdoors!" we trick ourselves into believing.

Here, I forget the phone calls and talking heads. Here I settle down and listen to what is being said inside and out.

Jimmy's Mom, the one who was in such a hurry, has now settled down, too. She's caught up in a conversation with another hurried Mom. They are swapping complaints and gripes. A nearby Dad jumps in with his moans and groans until there is a symphony of wailing parents.

"There ought to be a law!" I said out loud.

"For what?" I hear a young voice ask. It was Jimmy. He has joined me on the bench.

"Oh, a law that says when you enter the park you are only permitted to have fun, " I said. "I do!" said Jimmy. "What are you doing?" he asked as he rudely looked over my shoulder.

"Oh, I'm writing. I write about stuff I see and people I meet."

"I write, too!"

"About what?"

"Important stuff. My Grandmama said they are magic words that only these crayons can write." He reaches down into a tote bag and searches through the rubble.

"Look!" he said. "See, they come in this really old box."

He pulls out this wonderful looking wooden box with brass hinges and a latch for a lock. It's carved and stained like old oak. It's value has faded through the years from marks, scratches and of course Jimmy's name scribbled across the top. But to a young boy it's a treasure chest.

"Here, this one is my favorite," he says as he proudly holds a bright blue one high in the air.

"So what's so magical?" I ask.

He asks for a sheet of my tablet paper and says "Only this crayon can write this important word..." Then, very slowly he writes "M O M".

"Wow!" I said in approval of his efforts. "Is that it?"

"Wait." he replies as he reaches into the box and pulls out an orange one.

"D A D" he writes next to Mom.

"Excellent!" I shout! "They are important words."

"Here's the best one," he says. "Only this magic crayon can write this magic word...2 B."

"Wait. I think you may have mixed up your letters on this one," I cautiously try to correct him.

"Nope! That's right!" he said.

"But that's not a word."

"Is too!" he corrects me.

"When my Daddy went away, Grandmama said that she asked God for him to come back. A family needs 2 B together," he said as he pointed to his paper.

It stunned me for a moment. But he stood there, blond hair blowing in the wind and the most incredible blue eyes, waiting for me to approve.

"You are right Jimmy. 2 B together is magic," I said. "But wait. See this pen is magic, too."

Grabbing a new sheet of paper I wrote in large letters.

"No matter what, you still are a family as long as there is L O V E. And that I know you have."

"Jimmy, let's go!" Mom shouted.

"Okay, Mom. But can we go to Grandmama's. I got a new important word." He holds up the paper and says, "That man says it's family!"

"Yes, it is Jimmy." Mom said quietly as she smiled my way. "That's awesome!, Cool!, Wow!"

"I believe in You!"
~ Bob Perks ~
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #237
Stampin' Fool

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the wonderful story, Caterina. What great thoughts and words to start the day!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #238
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

The Secret

A woman named Vicki once knew a young person at church named Susan. Susan always seemed effervescent and happy, although Vicki knew she had faced struggles in her life. Her long-awaited marriage had quickly ended in divorce. She had struggled to get a grip on her single life. She hadn't chosen it, but she decided she would live it with utmost enjoyment and satisfaction. Susan was active in Sunday school, in the choir, as a leader of the junior high girls' group, and in the church renewal movement. Vicki enjoyed knowing Susan. Susan's whole face seemed to smile.

One day Vicki asked Susan, "How is it that you are always so happy, you have so much energy, and you never seem to get down?" With her eyes smiling, Susan said,"I know the Secret!"

"What secret is that, what are you talking about?" Vicki asked.

Susan replied, "I'll tell you all about it, but you have to promise to share the Secret with others."

Vicki agreed, "Okay, now what is it?"

The Secret is this: "I have learned there is little I can do in my life that will make me truly happy. I must depend on God to make me happy and meet my needs. When a need arises in my life, I have to trust God to supply according to HIS riches. I have learned most of the time I don't need half of what I think I do. HE has never let me down." Since I learned that Secret I am happy.

Vicki's first thought was, That's too simple! But upon reflecting over her own life she recalled how she thought a bigger house would make her happy - but it didn't! She thought a better-paying job would make her happy - but it hadn't. When did she realize her greatest happiness? Sitting on the floor with her grandchildren, playing games, eating pizza or reading a story, a simple gift from God. Susan knew the secret, Vicki learned the secret, and now you know it too!

We can't depend on people to make us happy. Only GOD in His wisdom can do that. Trust HIM! And now I pass the Secret on to you!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #239
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Wonderful thoughts, Caterina! Thank you once again. I will pass this on. I learned this Secret many years ago and it is the only way to live!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #240
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thorns and Thistles
====================

Today was one of those days when life's struggles piled up and
ran over.

There is so much work to do to fix up the house and out
buildings. The projects that have been finished needed
repairing again. Bills are piling up and the money coming in
does not meet their demands. Family relationships need
improvement too.

We are asking God for direction for our future, but He is
silent. Does He care? Is He listening? Don't think about that
now - the lawn needs mowing.

So, I was mowing the grass and on the other side of fence in the
cow pasture, there was a large bunch of thistles. I related to
them; I was feeling kind of prickly myself.

Then came that moment of clarity: That is our lives!

God never promised that our lives would be void of trials and
tribulations. Each little sticker on those stems represents
trials and frustrations. They represent "dry" times in our
spiritual walk, or times when we are ridiculed and condemned by
others. They can stand for many different things to different
people. But have you ever seen the beautiful flower at the top?
It's lovely! And it's sitting on a crown of thorns.

We are called to carry our cross and wear a crown of thorns,
just like Jesus did on this earth. He is molding us, prodding
us on, testing us to see what we are made of. The next time you
see those thistles, remember that God in His loving mercy
created them to remind us that our lives may seem full of thorns
and thistles, but there is beauty in the midst of them all.

Thank God for the thorns and thistles.