Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree494Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have
need of help, something for which you get no pay but the
privilege of doing it.

-- Albert Schweitzer
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #122
Gabfest Goddess

Cat, sorry to hear you weren't feeling well - I ask the ladies on this thread to pray for you for healing. I pray you feel better really soon and I know you rely on God and know his love, I pray you feel his presence right next to you feeling his embrace. Pray your tummy feels better.

Feel better soon!
Michele
Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #123
Die Cut Diva

Caterina .....

I'm adding my prayers to Michele's that you'll be feeling much better soon. Hurry back .... we miss your uplifting posts.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #124
Die Cut Diva

~~ Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on ... Matthew 6:25 ~~

It has been well said that no man ever sank under the burden of the day. It is when tomorrow's burden is added to the burden of today that the weight is more than we can bare. Never load yourselves so, my friends. If you find yourselves so loaded, at least remember this: it is your own doing, not God's. He begs you to leave the future to Him, and mind the present.

- - - - - - George MacDonald from Daily Strength for Daily Needs

Last edited by Stamping Servant; 06-02-2008 at 03:28 AM..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #125
Die Cut Diva

~~ And behold God Himself is with us for our captain. 2 Chronicles 13:12 ~~

Faith is a grasping of Almighty power;
The hand of man laid on the arm of God;
The grand and blessed hour
In which the things, impossible to me,
Become the possible, O Lord, through Thee.

Anna E. Hamilton (1846 -1876)

Caterina ... we are missing you. I'm praying the the Lord will open up the windows of heaven and pour out blessings on you that you cannot contain.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #126
Gabfest Goddess

Caterina: Praying for you! Hope your feeling better!

Blessings,
Michele
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #127
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi girls,

I chat with Caterina on the Bible Thread in Family Matters ( I think that's where we are LOL). She is in the hospital with tummy issues. She is worried about not posting here so I thought I"d come track you down and let you know what was going on. She's been in there since Maybe Friday/Saturday and tomorrow is her Birthday. She's so sweet and said that it will be easier for her dh cuz then he won't have to wonder what do to for her special day. She's so selfless....such an example to me. I know I'd be a big old sour puss if I was in the hospital on my special day.

Rita...she wanted your e-mail address so I just PMed you before I found this thread. I'm sure if she has you as an e-mail contact, you can post messages for her here.

She misses you girls!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #128
Die Cut Diva

Hello,

Caterina (Caterinafmig) hasn't been able to connect to the web from her hospital room, but she asked me (via e-mail) to let all her SCS friends know that she sends you her best and hopes to be back soon.

Here is something that Caterina has asked me to post - - hoping that it will brighten someone's day:

The little cares that fretted me
I lost them yesterday
Among the fields above the sea
Among the winds at play.

Among the lowing of the herds
The rustling of the trees
Among the singing of the birds
The humming of the bees.

The foolish fears of what might pass
I cast them all away
Among the clover-scented grass
Among the new-mown hay.
Among the rustling of the corn
Where drowsy poppies nod
Where ill thoughts die and good are born—
Out in the fields with God !
Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #129
Stampin' Fool

Location: Rockville, Maryland, near my family.... enjoying my grandkids!
Send a message via Yahoo to bsgstamps4fun

I am so sorry to hear that Caterina is in the hospital. I will pray for her healing and recovery.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #130
Stampin' Fool

Caterina,
When you are able to read this, I hope you are well on your way to a full recovery. We will all do our best to keep your thread going in your absence. May God be with you always and give you all the strength you need.
Hugs!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #131
Stampin' Fool

Default Prayer for the Journey by Mattie J.T. Stepanek

Friends, this is a prayer written by a child who endured great suffering from a rare form of muscular dystrophy. He had great insight for a 13 yr. old and his works were published in 2001 by Hyperion, New York. This book of poems "Journey through Heartsongs" is one of his five books. He lost his battle a few years ago and went home to the Lord. He has been memorialized by naming a new local park for him. His full name is Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek and his poem "Prayer for the Journey" follows:

Thank you, God not just for life,
But for our journey through life.
Life is a miracle.
And a journey through life is so full
of many more miracles
if we travel with our Heartsongs.
Thank you, God for blessing me
with the gift of Heartsongs,
So that I can enjoy my miracles.

Mattie began authoring poems and short stories since the age of three. His brief life has blessed us all.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #132
Die Cut Diva

Caterina said that she is feeling better this morning.

I know that many of you would like to send Caterina a get-well or belated birthday card (since today is her birthday), so I asked her if she would give us an address where we might send cards. Here it is:

Caterina Grove
330 Estate Road
Reisterstown, MD 21136
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Greetings my dear sweet friends, just wanted to let you know that I was discharged from the hospital and am resting at home.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart in keeping this thread going and a special thanks for your prayers. My stay in the hospital was made so much easier by all the SCSers wishing me well. You made me feel so loved and I truly thank the Lord for each and every one of you. May God bless you all abundantly.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #134
Matboard Maniac

Caterina,
So glad you are home again. I didn't even know that you were sick, so my get well wishes are a little late, but sincere just the same.
Stampin' Up Demo
My Blog
Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #135
Die Cut Diva

What good news, Caterina! So thankful that you are home again!

Rita
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #136
Stazon Splitcoast

God's blessing makes our lives rich and
nothing we do can improve on God.

So, Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Have a great day!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #137
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Good Graduation Story

The high school commencement speaker was the president of a large corporation. He was chosen for the occasion because of his success. Yet his speech came with a most unusual wish for the graduates.

The speaker told the students sitting before him in their graduation gowns, ďIf I could have one hope for you as you go out into the world, it would be this: I hope you fail. I hope that you fail at something that is important to you.Ē He went on to say how his own early life had been one failure after another, until he learned to see failure as an effective teacher.

Many of the songs of Israel were born in seasons of failure. Out of desperation came the cry, ďAs the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living GodĒ (Ps. 42:1-2).

Sometimes we are not ready to see the wonder of Godís wisdom and strength until we are gasping for breath in the exhaustion of our own strength.

A recurring story of the Bible is that mountains of faith rise from the valleys of failure. Before discovering the high ground we are looking for, we may need to see the failure of the dreams we hold in our hearts and trust instead in the love, wisdom, and guidance of our God.
ó Mart De Haan

The lessons we learn from our failures
Are lessons that help us succeed,
And if we are wise and we heed them,
Then failure is just what we need. óD. De Haan

Learn from your failures, or you will fail to learn.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #138
Stampin' Fool

Caterina, I am so glad to hear you are on the mend and are at home. May our Lord continue to bless you with renewed strength.

A thought for today:

As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person. Poverbs 27:19

What reflections does your heart show about you? Does it reflect God's love in your life?

Last edited by bsgstamps4fun; 06-05-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: missed a letter in a word!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgstamps4fun View Post
Caterina, I am so glad to hear you are on the mend and are at home. May our Lord continue to bless you with renewed strength.

A thought for today:

As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person. Poverbs 27:19

What reflections does your heart show about you? Does it reflect God's love in your life?
Barb, Thanks so much for your 'thought for today' post and good question to ponder, also for your kind words.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #140
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

This Is Good

An old story is told of a king in Africa who had a close friend with whom he grew up. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life (positive or negative) and remarking, "This is good!"

One day the king and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the king. The friend had apparently done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the king fired it and his thumb was blown off. Examining the situation the friend remarked as usual, "This is good!" To which the king replied, "No, this is NOT good!" and proceeded to send his friend to jail.

About a year later, the king was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. Cannibals captured him and took him to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake.

As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the king was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. So untying the king, they sent him on his way. As he returned home, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend. "You were right," he said, "it was good that my thumb was blown off." And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened. "And so I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me to do this."

"No," his friend replied, "This is good!"

"What do you mean,'This is good'? How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a year?"

"If I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you." "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." (Rom. 8:2

Situations may not always seem pleasant while we are in them, but the promise of God is clear. If we love Him and live our lives according to His precepts, even that which seems to be bleak and hopeless will be turned by God for His glory and our benefit.

Hold on, God is faithful! May God bless you as you seek His will in every situation.

Genius 50:20 (NIV) "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
"
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #141
Stampin' Fool

Another wonderful message, Caterina! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Wishing everyone a blessed day!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

FAMILY
======

Are you aware that if we died tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days?

But the family we left behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than into our own family, an unwise investment indeed, don't you think?

Do you know what the word FAMILY means?

FAMILY = (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

~Author Unknown~
Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #143
Insane Embellisher

Caterina, I missed your posts and am so glad you are home and feeling better. I love the peaceful feeling I get by reading all the positive stories and verses you contribute for all of us!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #144
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheila Kirwan View Post
Caterina, I missed your posts and am so glad you are home and feeling better. I love the peaceful feeling I get by reading all the positive stories and verses you contribute for all of us!
Thank you so much for the encouragement...praying you will always find positive peaceful feelings here.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #145
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

The Grandfather's Table

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year old grandson. The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered. The family ate together at the table, but the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess. "We must do something about Grandfather," said the son. "I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor." Therefore, the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner. Since grandfather had broken a dish two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence. One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, "What are you making?" Just as sweetly, the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up." The four-year-old smiled and went back to work. The words so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days, he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

Children are remarkably perceptive. Their eyes ever observe, their ears ever listen, and their minds ever process the messages they absorb. If they see us patiently, provide a happy home atmosphere for family members, they will imitate that attitude for the rest of their lives. The wise parent realizes that every day the building blocks are being laid for the child's future. Let us be wise builders and role models.

Always remember: "What goes around, comes around!" However, "Treating others as you would treat yourself or that you would like to be treated will grant you more love than not!

Submitted by Kathy Pinto
Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #146
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile The House of 1000 Mirrors

The House of 1000 Mirrors (Japanese folktale)

Long ago in a small, far away village, there was place known as the House of 1000 Mirrors. A small, happy little dog learned of this place and decided to visit. When he arrived, he bounced happily up the stairs to the doorway of the house. He looked through the doorway with his ears lifted high and his tail wagging as fast as it could. To his great surprise, he found himself staring at 1000 other happy little dogs with their tails wagging just as fast as his. He smiled a great smile, and was answered with 1000 great smiles just as warm and friendly. As he left the House, he thought to himself, "This is a wonderful place. I will come back and visit it often." In this same village, another little dog, who was not quite as happy as the first one, decided to visit the house. He slowly climbed the stairs and hung his head low as he looked into the door. When he saw the 1000 unfriendly looking dogs staring back at him, he growled at them and was horrified to see 1000 little dogs growling back at him. As he left, he thought to himself, "That is a horrible place, and I will never go back there again."

All the faces in the world are mirrors. What kind of reflections do you see in the faces of the people you meet?

As Told by Chris P. Cash
Used with Permission

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #147
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

The Refiner's Fire

He sat by a furnace of seven-fold heat,
As He watched by the precious ore,
And closer He bent with a searching gaze
As He heated it more and more.

He knew He had ore that could stand the test
And He wanted the finest gold,
To mold as a crown, for the King to wear,
Set with gems of price untold.

So He laid our gold in the burning fire,
Tho' we fain would say Him, "Nay'"
And watched the dross that we had not seen,
As it melted and passed away.

And the gold grew brighter and yet more bright,
But our eyes were dim with tears,
We saw but the fire- Not the Master's hand,
And questioned with anxious fears.

Yet our gold shone out with a richer glow
As it mirrored a form above,
That bent o'er the fire, tho' unseen by us,
With a look of ineffable love.

Can we think it pleases His loving heart
To cause us a moments pain?
Ah, no! But He sees through the present cross
The bliss of eternal gain.

So He waited there with a watchful eye,
With a love that is strong and sure,
And His gold did not suffer a bit more heat
Than was needed to make it pure.

Rev. Arthur F. Ingler
Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Great lyrics from the Newsboys today
(one of my granddaughter's favorite Christian groups)

Newsboys Lyrics
Million Pieces (Kissin' Your Cares Goodbye)

They all fall
Like a million raindrops
Falling from a blue sky
Kissing your cares goodbye
They all fall
Like a million pieces
A ticker tape parade high
And now you're free to fly

Carryin' a millstone malaise
It's been pulling down your gaze
You pound the pavement
It don't give or care
This weight ain't yours to bear

Why you holdin' grudges in old jars?
Why you wanna show off all your scars?
What's it gonna take to lay
a few burdens down?
It's a beautiful sound

When they all fall
Like a million raindrops
Falling from a blue sky
They all fall
Like a million pieces
And now you're free to fly

When that muffled sigh
Says you're barely getting by
Cut your burdens loose
and just simplify
Simplify

This is not your floor
You're going higher than before
Drop the weight now
Wait for the lookout guide
Look outside

As they all fall
Like a million raindrops
Falling from a blue sky
They all fall
Like a million pieces
Now you're free to fly

You've gotta lay that burden down
You're gonna lay that burden down
It's time to leave your
burdens in a pyre
Set a bonfire

'Cause when you lay your burdens down
When you lay your burdens down
When you drop them burdens
What a free-fall
What a thrill
Bury them all
In a landfill

Music by Peter Furler /
Lyrics by Steve Taylor
and Peter Furler
©2002 Dawn Treader Music
(admin. by EMI Christian
Music Publishing) /
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #149
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Time for a chuckle

Little Johnny watched, fascinated, as his mother smoothed cold cream on her face. "Why do you do that, mommy?" he asked. "To make myself beautiful," said his mother, who then began removing the cream with a tissue. "What's the matter?" asked Little Johnny. "Giving up?"
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #150
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the chuckle! very cute!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #151
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

It's Not Easy

To apologize,
To begin over,
To be unselfish,
To take advice,
To admit error,
To face a sneer,
To be charitable,
To keep on trying,
To be considerate,
To avoid mistakes,
To endure success,
To profit by mistakes,
To forgive and forget,
To think and then act,
To keep out of the rut,
To make the best of little,
To subdue an unruly temper,
To maintain a high standard,
To shoulder a deserved blame,
To recognize the silver lining-
But it always pays.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #152
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Thanks, Caterina. These are words we can live by everyday.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #153
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Many years ago, Al Capone virtually owned Chicago. Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. He was notorious for enmeshing the windy city in everything from bootlegged booze and prostitution to murder.

Capone had a lawyer nicknamed "Easy Eddie". He was his lawyer for a good reason - Eddie was very good! In fact, Eddie's skill at legal manoeuvring kept Big Al out of jail for a long time.

To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well. Not only was the money big, but also, Eddie got special dividends. For instance, he and his family occupied a fenced-in mansion with live-in help and all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago City block.

Eddie lived the high life of the Chicago mob and gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on around him. Eddie did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly.

Eddie saw to it that his young son had clothes, cars, and a good education. Nothing was withheld. Price was no object. And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong. Eddie wanted his son to be a better man than he was.

Yet, with all his wealth and influence, there were two things he couldn't give his son - he couldn't pass on a good name or a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Easy Eddie wanted to rectify wrongs he had done. He decided he would go to the authorities and tell the truth about Al "Scarface" Capone, clean up his tarnished name, and offer his son some semblance of integrity.

To do this, he would have to testify against The Mob, and he knew that the cost would be great.

So... he testified.

Within the year Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago Street. But, in his eyes, he had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer, at the greatest price he could ever pay.

Police removed from his pockets a rosary, crucifix, religious medallion and a poem clipped from a magazine. The poem read:

The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.
Now is the only time you own.
Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time.
For the clock may soon be still.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #154
Stazon Splitcoast

Part Two of the story above.....

World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Lieutenant Commander Butch O'Hare. He was a fighter pilot assigned to the aircraft carrier Lexington in the South Pacific.

Wikipedia tells of the early life of Edward O'Hare.

Butch became the Navy's first Ace of WWII, and the first Naval Aviator to win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A year later Butch was killed in aerial combat at the age of 29.

His home town would not allow the memory of this WW II hero to fade, and today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man.

So, the next time you find yourself at O'Hare International give some thought to visiting Butch's memorial displaying his statue and his Medal of Honor. It's located between Terminals 1 and 2.

What do these two stories have to do with each other?

Butch O'Hare was Easy Eddie's son.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #155
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile HAPPY FLAG DAY!

THERE SHE STANDS BY MICHAEL W. SMITH

When the night
Seems to say
All hope is lost
Gone away
But I know
Iím not alone
By the light
She stands

There she waves
Faithful friend
Shimmering stars
Westward wind
Show the way
Carry me
To the place
She stands

Just when you think it might be over
Just when you think the fight is gone
Someone will risk his life to raise her
There she stands

There she flies
Clear blue skies
Reminds us with red
Of those that died
Washed in white
By the brave
In their strength
She stands

When evil calls itself a martyr
When all your hopes come crashing down
Someone will pull her from the rubble
There she stands

Weíve seen her flying torn and tattered
Weíve seen her stand the test of time
And through it all the fools have fallen
There she stands

By the dawnís
Early light
And through the fight
She stands

Old 06-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #156
Stampin' Fool

Thanks once again, Caterina. My flag is flying proudly! God Bless America!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #157
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

A BOY IS...

Between the innocence of babyhood and the dignity of manhood we find a delightful creature called a boy. Boys come in assorted sizes, weights and colors, but all boys are the same. Boys are found everywhere ... on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to.

Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older brothers and sisters tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them.

A boy is truth with dirt on its face, beauty with a cut on its finger, wisdom with bubble gum in its hair and the hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.

When you want him to make a good impression, his brain turns to jelly, or else he becomes a savage, sadistic jungle creature bent on destroying the world.

A boy is a composite ... he has the appetite of a horse, the digestion of a sword swallower, the energy of an atom bomb, the curiosity of a cat, the lungs of a dictator, the shyness of a violet and when he makes something, he has five thumbs on each hand.

A boy is a magical creature ... you can lock him out of your workshop, but you can't lock him out of your heart. Might as well give up ... he is your captor, your jailer, your boss and your master ... a freckled face, pint size, cat chasing bundle of noise.

But when you come home at night with only the shattered pieces of your hopes and dreams, he can mend them like new with the two magic words, "HI, DAD!"
Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #158
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Happy Father's Day

Fathers Are Wonderful People

Fathers are wonderful people
Too little understood,
And we do not sing their praises
As often as we should...
For, somehow, Father seems to be
The man who pays the bills,
While Mother binds up little hurts
And nurses all our ills...
And Father struggles daily
To live up to "his image"
As protector and provider
And "hero of the scrimmage"...
And perhaps that is the reason
We sometimes get the notion,
That Fathers are not subject
To the thing we call emotion,
But if you look inside Dad's heart,
Where no one else can see
You'll find he's sentimental
And as "soft" as he can be...
But he's so busy every day
In the grueling race of life,
He leaves the sentimental stuff
To his partner and his wife...
But Fathers are just wonderful
In a million different ways,
And they merit loving compliments
And accolades of praise,
For the only reason Dad aspires
To fortune and success
Is to make the family proud of him
And to bring them happiness...
And like Our Heavenly Father,
He's a guardian and a guide,
Someone that we can count on
To be always on our side.
~ Helen Steiner Rice ~
Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #159
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Broken Hearts

My new neighbors gave me a nice gift the other day. It was a set of beautiful, white, patio stones. They had been using them to create a walk-way to their back door but decided a natural lawn would be easier to maintain. I was happy to take them and thought of using them to create a walk-way to my own front porch. My hill was a bit too steep and the plaster stones were a bit too slick for it to work, though. I soon found a home for them, however, around the flower box in my front yard. They were the perfect replacement for the rotting timber beams and their heart shapes made the flower box stand out even better. I was able to use every single one of them and even pieced a few broken ones together instead of throwing them out. As I look out on them now, I think that the broken ones are the most beautiful of them all. They may have a few cracks in them, but they reflect the sunlight just as brightly as the others.

I love those cracked hearts because I know that in this life no heart ends up undamaged. This world is full of hearts that have been bruised, battered, beaten, and broken. There isnít a single heart in this world that hasnít been cracked at least once from pain, suffering, and loss. Still, with all of their cracks our hearts continue to love. They continue to share love and to reflect the sunlight of Godís love just as brightly as ever. They donít let a few missing pieces or tiny cracks stand in their way. They keep beating and they keep loving for all that they are worth.

If your own heart has been bruised and broken then donít despair. God loves you and is always ready to heal it with His love. All you have to do is let Him. You may have a few cracks left over, but they will just let His light shine more deeply inside you. They will help you as well to touch other broken hearts with your own love.

We all may have a few cracks in our hearts, after all, but they only help the love to flow in and out.

~ Joseph J. Mazzella ~
Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #160
Mississippi McGyver

THE BIRTH OF THE SONG 'PRECIOUS LORD'

Back in 1932, I was 32 years old and a fairly new husband. My wife, Nettie and I were living in a little apartment on Chicago's south side. One hot August afternoon I had to go to St. Louis, where I was to be the featured soloist at a large revival meeting. I didn't want to go. Nettie was in the last month of pregnancy with our first child. But a lot of people were expecting me in St. Louis. I kissed Nettie good-bye, clattered downstairs to our Model A and, in a fresh Lake Michigan breeze, chugged out of Chicago on Route 66. However, outside the city, I discovered that in my anxiety at leaving, I had forgotten my music case. I wheeled around and headed back. I found Nettie sleeping peacefully. I hesitated by her bed; something was strongly telling me to stay. But eager to get on my way, and not wanting to disturb Nettie, I shrugged off the feeling and quietly slipped out of the room with my music.

The next night, in the steaming St. Louis heat, the crowd called on me to sing again and again. When I finally sat down, a messenger boy ran up with a Western Union telegram. I ripped open the envelope. Pasted on the yellow sheet were the words: YOUR WIFE JUST DIED.

People were happily singing and clapping around me, but I could hardly keep from crying out. I rushed to a phone and called home. All I could hear on the other end was 'Nettie is dead. Nettie is dead.' Wh en I got back, I learned that Nettie had given birth to a boy. I swung between grief and joy. Yet that same night, the baby died. I buried Nettie and our little boy together, in the same casket. Then I fell apart.

For days I closeted myself. I felt that God had done me an injustice. I didn't want to serve Him anymore or write gospel songs. I just wanted to go back to that jazz world I once knew so well. But then, as I hunched alone in that dark apartment those first sad days, I thought back to the afternoon I went to St. Louis. Something kept telling me to stay with Nettie. Was that something God? Oh, if I had paid more attention to Him that day, I would have stayed and been with Nettie when she died.

From that moment on I vowed to listen more closely to Him. But still I was lost in grief. Everyone was kind to me, especially one friend. The following Saturday evening he took me up to Malone's Poro College, a neighborhood music school. It was quiet; the late evening sun crept through the curtained windows. I sat down at the piano, and my hands began to browse over the keys. Something happened to me then. I felt at peace. I felt as though I could reach out and touch God. I found myself playing a melody, once into my head they just seemed to fall into place:

'Precious Lord, take my hand, lead me on let me stand, I am tired, I am weak, I am worn, through the storm, through the night lead me on to the light, take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.'

The Lord gave me these words and melody, He also healed my spirit. I learned that when we are in our deepest grief, when we feel farthest from God, this is when He is closest, and when we are most open to His restoring power.

And so I go on living for God willingly and joyfully, until that day comes when He will take me and gently lead me home.

-Tommy Dorsey-
Did you know that Tommy Dorsey wrote this song? I surely didn't. What a wonderful story of how God CAN heal the brokenhearted! Beautiful, isn't it?