Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #761
Gabfest Goddess

Cat, prayers for the family today and for you! What I hold onto is the bible verse "blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted" knowing it's a difficult day and praying for comfort from the Holy Spirit! Lifting all up this morning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #762
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Kerry posted an update marking Sicily's two-year angelversary.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:08 PM, CDT

Plain and simple...Sicily is still missed with every breath God still allows me to inhale! I can still envision her sweet magnetic smile, her love for life laughter, and her strong hugs created by skinny little arms. When I close my eyes and let my heart and mind tune out the world around me, I can still imagine how it felt to hold her in my arms.

God has blessed my life with an abundance of happiness these past eight months that have sped by since I last updated this site. So many times I've wanted to sit and pour out my soul as I did for so long since that fateful day in August 2008 when we learned of Sicily's cancer! It is still hard to grasp that it was two years ago this very day that our precious little pocketful of sunshine peacefully passed away in my arms! It still has not gotten easier, as I always confessed that I knew it never would, but there truly is so much comfort and peace that comes from understanding the purpose of her brief but spectacular life. The gifts that God bestowed upon me will sustain me for the rest of my life. I am so very thankful.

Today I cry, because I can...because I miss my little girl. It's okay! It feels good! I am still smiling through the tears! Laughing at the memories! Thank you for remembering her!

"HAPPY 2nd ANGEL-VERSARY SICILY!"
We love you all the way to heaven!

Kerry
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #763
Die Cut Diva

Heart sweet angel Sicily

I'm so happy to hear that Kerry is able to smile through the tears! It wasn't that long ago that she didn't think she would ever smile again! Sweet little Sicily is shining her little pocketful of sunshine down on her family! Let your light shine, Sicily!

Thanks for continually keeping the Zeka's in your thoughts and prayers, Caterina!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #764
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Yesterday, Sunday, April 15th would have been sweet Sicily's 7th birthday. Surely precious Angel Face was in many thoughts as well as her wonderful family.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #765
Die Cut Diva

Heart Happy Birthday, sweet angel!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Yesterday, Sunday, April 15th would have been sweet Sicily's 7th birthday. Surely precious Angel Face was in many thoughts as well as her wonderful family.
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers! Thanks for reminding us, Caterina!

Hugs!
Jane
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #766
Gabfest Goddess

Prayers for you and the family. I know it's hard, your a brave wonderful soul Cat!

HUGS
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #767
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Sicily's sweet wonderful mommy, Kerry, will be celebrating her birthday on June 30th again without her precious baby girl. If you would like to send some happy mail, here is the address. Thanks so much

Kerry Zeka
6800 S. Sycamore Ave.
Broken Arrow, OK 74011-6060

Last edited by caterinafmig; 07-04-2012 at 05:10 AM..
Old 07-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #768
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo3LKian View Post
beautiful little girl.

Thank you so much - was privileged to meet sweet Sicily and her family. Hard to believe that Sicily has been in heaven for over two years.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #769
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Just thought to post that I spoke with Kerry the other day. Although Kerry is doing as well as can be expected, she has many days when the reality of Sicily no longer being with her family becomes overwhelming. Please send up prayers for peace, grace, strength and courage for Kerry, the family and all the families walking this wretched painful road.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #770
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Just thought to let you know that Sicily's sister, Isabella who has diabetes is having trouble with hearing and may have to wear a hearing aid. Please pray for Isabella and for the family as they face another hurdle. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #771
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Today marks the last day of Childhood cancer Awareness Month and Sicily as well as her family has been heavy on my heart. Sicily's daddy's birthday was this month and her brother Elias' birthday was last week. Surely they must miss their pocket full of sunshine.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #772
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

This month Sicily's older brother, Corinthian and her sister Isabella will be celebrating their birthdays and certainly these celebrations are bittersweet.

The family has purchased a house on the lake, duplicating Sicily' room as it was the day she went to heaven and spend much time there together.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #773
Gabfest Goddess

I just can't imagine - prayers for the family and for her siblings and hoping the younger ones while they miss Sicily know in their hearts they will see her again and that it is good for them to be happy and that she is watching from the windows of heaven. I know this is painful I hope they keep the peace that only God can give so that they continue to enjoy their lives and know they will see Sicily in heaven!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #774
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thanks Michele, am so looking forward to seeing my sweet Angel Face in heaven one day, too! She stole my heart!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #775
Gabfest Goddess

I know she did Cat and you are so awesome to reach out to all of these kids and their families.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #776
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Please keep Sicily's family in prayer as they face yet another Christmas without the sweet "Pocketful Of Sunshine" as her mommy called.

Also please remember the countless families who will be missing their sweet children during this time of year.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #777
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

My wonderful husband is shaving his hair in memory of our sweet Sicily who has been in heaven three years next month. If you can help give support, please click on link. Thanks!

Reynold Grove | A St. Baldrick's Participant

Over 3,650,000 CHILDREN have died globally in the last 50 years, nearly 200 each day 365 days a year for the last 50 years and close to 11 million have been diagnosed with some form of cancer during that time span as well globally. There have actually been more deaths of children and children affected with cancer than the Holocaust by my math. I'm asking all my friends, acquaintances, relatives, etc. to get involved to STOP CHILDHOOD CANCER!

To do my part, I'm going to do something pretty extreme (for me!), and I'm writing to ask you to join me by supporting me with a donation for childhood cancer research!

What am I doing? I am going to have my head shaved at the 5th Annual Baltimore Heroes Event, a St. Baldrick's Foundation event. You are invited to come out and watch the fun on March 3. It is being held at Martin's East, 9000 Pulaski Highway, Baltimore, MD 21220.

My bald head will represent my standing in solidarity with kids being treated for cancer. But the real point is to raise funds for life-saving research. Infants, kids, teens and young adults are fighting cancer every day and its good to know that St. Baldrick's Foundation is instrumental in providing funds for research to fight this horrible disease which affects so many kids.

I have just a month to reach my goal of $5,000. Will you help? Please make a donation as soon as possible! All donations regardless of size are welcome. Just think, only 200 people donating $25 each or 500 people donating $10 each will reach my goal. Whatever you can do will be appreciated by me and especially the kids fighting cancer! Please visit my page on the St. Baldrick's website and make your donation: Reynold Grove | A St. Baldrick's Participant - You can also follow my progress there!

By the way, I'm doing this to honor the memory of a precious little girl named Sicily who was battling cancer a few years ago. My wife and I "adopted" her through another organization and were privileged to visit her and her family in Oklahoma in 2010. Unfortunately she lost her battle and we attended her funeral in the spring of 2011.

I can assure you your gift will be used responsibly. The St. Baldrick's Foundation is the largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants. This is a volunteer-driven charity, which keeps fundraising costs low and grants high. In 2012 alone, St. Baldrick's granted more than $23 million for research, most of which was raised by more than 31,000 "shavees" like me, from people like you!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #778
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Reynold raised nearly $2500 in honor of sweet Sicily at the St. Baldrick's event.

Tomorrow will mark the third anniversary of Angel Face leaving earth for heaven.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #779
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Today is sweet precious Angel Sicily's birthday! She would have been 8. Sending heavenly birthday wishes to my adorable 'adopted' granddaughter.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #780
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Please keep the Zeka family in prayer and everyone who is in the path of all these tornadoes.

Thank you.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #781
Die Cut Diva

Heart Praying!

Having witnessed the destruction that these storms can do, I pray for safety for all the families in harms way! I pray that the storms pass through quickly and without any bodily harm for those in the areas!

Hugs and Blessings,
Jane
caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #782
Die Cut Diva

Default Saddened by the devastation...

So sad to hear that news that the tornado indeed took it's toll on OK. I am just praying that the death toll is the lower of the numbers that they are reporting.

Also praying for the parents of the children who did not make it out of their school alive... just so sad...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #783
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiekay View Post
So sad to hear that news that the tornado indeed took it's toll on OK. I am just praying that the death toll is the lower of the numbers that they are reporting.

Also praying for the parents of the children who did not make it out of their school alive... just so sad...

Watching the news and they have lower the death toll numbers somewhat... still is so very heartbreaking especially for the parents of those sweet precious children.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #784
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Goodness for the very first time, I dreamed of Sicily last night and it felt so real.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #785
Die Cut Diva

Heart It happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Goodness for the very first time, I dreamed of Sicily last night and it felt so real.
Maybe something reminded you of Sweet Sicily yesterday! There could be a number of reasons! Have you looked at Sicily's care page lately to see if her mom posted? Maybe she just needs a little extra love. Please tell her that we all still think of sweet Sicily, and pray for the entire Zeka family-- and you, too, Cat!

Hugs!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #786
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Maybe something reminded you of Sweet Sicily yesterday! There could be a number of reasons! Have you looked at Sicily's care page lately to see if her mom posted? Maybe she just needs a little extra love. Please tell her that we all still think of sweet Sicily, and pray for the entire Zeka family-- and you, too, Cat!

Hugs!
Thanks Jane, did leave a message with Sicily's mommy today to let her know. Sure wish Oklahoma was not so far away from Maryland.

You are such a super sweet lady and God abundantly bless you for all you do!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #787
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thanksgiving and Christmas are drawing near, please remember the Zeka Family as they continue to miss sweet Sicily. Also, remember all the families who are missing their children as well as the families who are still in the battle with their precious children.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #788
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Please pray for Sicily's family, especially for her mommy and sister. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #789
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Today marks four years since sweet precious ^^ Sicily ^^ flew to heaven. My heart is with her mommy, Kerry, daddy, Patrick, brothers Corinthian & Elias and sister, Isabella.

This picture was taken when we visited in 2009 - what a sassy stoic pocketful of sunshine, Sicily showed herself to be.
Attached Thumbnails
my-sweet-sicily-.jpg  
janiekay likes this post.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #790
Die Cut Diva

Default I think of little Sicily every time I hear that song!

Fly swift little angel! You've got a big world to keep an eye on!!!

Thanks for the memory of this sweet angel! Her family and loved ones, including you, are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #791
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Fly swift little angel! You've got a big world to keep an eye on!!!

Thanks for the memory of this sweet angel! Her family and loved ones, including you, are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Thanks so very much dear friend. So love your caring heart. <3
Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #792
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Today is "Sicily's Run" in Oklahoma, raising funds for scholarships! What a beautiful legacy for our "Pocket Full of Sunshine".
Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #793
Die Cut Diva

Heart Hope the whole town turns out!

That would be a site to see! !!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #794
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Sicily's wonderful mommy, Kerry, is doing a interview with Focus on the Family. Here is the link....

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/popups/media_player.aspx?MediaId={8123E7FC-AAA9-4B55-8ACA-047BE62C2C8D}
Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #795
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

UPDATE

To find a rainbow...

By Kerry Zeka
“To find a rainbow,
You must weather a storm.”

Oh how I’ve missed sitting down and expelling every little thought, emotion and perception that fills my mind, heart and soul! I miss this so much! Being able to unload and share all the struggles, heartbreaks, joys and accomplishments our family experienced was such an important and meaningful part of an incredible period in my life. I’ve been suppressing an insatiable desire for so long to sit down and spill the endless ramble that has continued to build up inside of me. It’s hard to know where to even begin, so I will just dive in…emotions first!

Life is wonderful. Life is hard. Life is what it is…it’s as beautiful as you decide to make it and let it be!

I feel like my current emotions are best described as a person walking a tight rope. I carefully place one foot in front of the other as I make my way across a narrow strand of wire high up in the sky. I’m shaky at times…my balance is not the greatest! When the wind is still and my confidence is unshakeable, I’m fantastic…footloose and fancy free! But it seems like anytime I experience a shift in life’s daily activities, whether it’s positive or negative in nature, I became more wobbly and unstable. The security I crave of maintaining an emotional balance always seems to be just out of my reach.

The speed of life has been one of which I can barely keep up with, but it’s a ride I find thrilling and exciting and I’m blessed to be on it!

It is hard to believe it’s been over six years now since Sicily’s cancer diagnosis. I can close my eyes and almost regurgitate the feelings that were produced that day…feelings of panic, desperation, confusion, dread and the overwhelming fear of the unknown. Our little girl had cancer. What do we do…how do we handle this? And the worst fear of all, what if she can’t beat this and we lose her? How does life go on?

I truly believe that in these past four years since Sicily’s passing, I have accepted and understood her purpose in my life and the lives of those who allowed her to touch them. I consciously make the decision on a daily basis to accept God’s will. I make an effort to carry peace in my heart and hold tightly to the grace God so generously shares with me, whenever I ask Him for it…and even when I forget to! Have I perfected this ability? Absolutely not! Despite all this conscious effort, something always seemed to be missing…there was a void I couldn’t quite define or explain. It wasn’t just the natural vacancy of Sicily’s physical presence, but something I couldn’t put my finger on…until last Easter.

The week before this past Easter was naturally a time of reflection and tender emotions. Sicily would’ve celebrated her ninth birthday on April 15th. Her funeral was right before Holy week in 2010. I photographed our other three children for the first time without their little sister on that Easter Sunday. They held a pair of white feathery angel wings to represent her heavenly presence despite her physical absence. That time of year is always going to be an understood difficult time for us. There is no getting around it, and that’s okay.

The movie, “Heaven Is For Real” had just been released in theaters days before Sicily’s birthday. I had anxiously read the book as soon as it was published late in 2010. Many, like myself, who have lost a loved one, are constantly looking for and seeking reassurance in the existence of the afterlife…the promise of eternity in paradise…the proof that Heaven is really real! We desperately want confirmation that our loved one is where we hope and pray for them to be…that they are above the heavenly stars watching over us…that though we can’t tangibly see them, they are with us and always will be. How can we achieve this belief without some kind of proof? Proof is all around us. It’s everywhere. The key to the proof is having eyes that see. Not the same eyes that see the words you are reading in this message, but the eyes of the soul that see beyond what is blatant. It’s in the way the clouds form into the shape of wings in the sky…the incredible scheme of colors a rainbow boasts after a storm…the way the sun sparkles and twinkles as it dances across the rippling waters of a lake. That is enough proof for me that heaven must exist! If this beauty prevails on earth, what must heaven be like? Proof is sometimes sent through the vessel of innocent children, as it was told in the story of one little boy. I already felt like I had my own proof when Miss Judi Ann shared her story with me (see August 4, 2011 entry) about Sicily’s angelic visit.

This past Easter Sunday I decided we needed to go see the movie, “Heaven Is For Real” as a family. Again, I had already read the book and knew what to expect, but just wanted to see it played out by actors on a big screen. I like the idea that others believe in the reality of heaven as I do. I did cry, of course, but mainly because at one point in the movie it shows a little bald girl sitting in a hospital bed. Flashbacks overwhelmed my mind and all I could do was sit there and think of Sicily. Much like when Patrick and I recently watched the movie “Patch Adams” for the first time. There, again, was little girl with a beautiful bald head shown laying in a hospital bed… images that are not foreign to us because we have far too many of our own that are awakened and replayed from time to time.

The movie, itself, on Easter Sunday, was not what made such an impact on me and was so life altering, but it was the days after when I felt myself slipping into the familiar pit of sadness, likely triggered by the avalanche of emotions from the previous week. I just felt overwhelmed with anguish. So I did what has become part of my daily life…I talked to God. My daily prayers are usually full of requests for others, as they should be, but my conversations with God are, well, what can I say…they’re self centered! That day, the Tuesday following Easter, in my conversation with God, I cried to Him about how much I missed my little girl. I shed tears as I told him how I would do anything if only I could have her back, even if for a brief moment, just to hug her again and tell her over and over how much I love her…to the point where she tells me I’m “annoying her!” To my surprise, in the greatest fantasy of my mind, God said, “I will give precious Sicily back to you, but there is one condition… only one.” In my dream of dreams my heart races and I excitedly agree to God that I will do anything, absolutely anything He asks of me, just to have one brief encounter with my beloved daughter. God’s condition, simple as it may sound, was that I have to give up the person I’ve become as a result of Sicily’s cancer battle and her death, and I have to go back to being the person I was before this tragedy. “What’s to give up,” I thought. My heart and my mind are overjoyed. “That’s it? That’s all we have to do?” They are ecstatic about the thought of being reunited with Sicily! Who could blame them? But my soul, the very center of my spirituality, calmly and graciously turns God down. “No, I’m very sorry, but we cannot accept that condition. You see, because of Sicily’sdeath, Kerry has discovered what life is genuinely about. She appreciates now how God employs all of life’s experiences for the good of those who follow Him...especially the heart-rendering and unexplainable trials and tragedies that tend to leave us without any kind of understanding. She has learned to let peace and unconditional love reside in her hearts True unconditional love…love with no conditions what so ever! She practices unequivocal acceptance of God’s Will in her mind…and her soul has discovered and embraced His amazing infinite Grace. Without Sicily’s death, Kerry might not have had the opportunity to discover these priceless treasures! Sicily’s life and death were the spiritual catalyst Kerry so desperately needed!”

I was temporarily struck by a mother’s guilt for the answer that so quickly resonated in my soul…turning down the opportunity to see Sicily again. But I understood the bigger picture here! I finally had my spiritual epiphany…something I have long desired and searched for! That elusive void in my mind seemed to finally dissipate. That annoying and baffling feeling of deficiency in my heart was no longer a heavy burden. The personal spiritual strength I have found and am now experiencing is so hard to translate into mere words, but it’s all because of what God has provided through Sicily’s life and death! Not that I ever asked the question of God, “Why,” which is totally okay and a natural human reaction…but for some reason, I’ve always felt the answer was, “Because…I Am God! Be patient and watch what I can do with this!”

I still miss my little girl with every sunrise and sunset…every breath I inhale and exhale…and every beat of my thriving heart! Tears will always find a way to fill my eyes; I hope they never completely evaporate! I continue to have days when I look up at the sky towards the heavens and wonder how I can explain to others how I am able to live life without Sicily. The answer is simple…and complicated. Simple, because God’s Grace is with me at all times. Complicated only because I am human and sometimes that which is not seen is hard to grasp and comprehend. I feel that I am a better human being because of her brief existence! God became clearly visible to me, through her! His Amazing Grace can do anything!!!

May His Grace and Peace be with you all…no matter what!

“I believe that tears can heal…
That memories can comfort…
That love lives on forever.”
Old 03-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #796
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Hard to believe five years have passed....

Happy 5th Angelversary, Sicily,
By Kerry Zeka

It truly is hard to believe that Sicily has been gone now longer than she was physically alive! Today we celebrate her five year "Angelversary." I use the term "celebrate" with heartfelt honesty, because everything about her life is worth celebrating...even her death, crazy as that may sound! She was just a few weeks shy of her fifth birthday when she passed away, so in my mind and in my heart I always felt this particular day would be one of significant symbolism. It's really not. It's just another day of life. A life filled with possible adventures and joys...experiences and potential trials...and incredible blessings, both known and unknown. Indeed it is another day without the ones we love who have passed onwards and upwards...but isn't it another day closer to them, as well?

"Happy Day, Everyone!" God Bless!

Sicily | Journal | CaringBridge
Attached Thumbnails
angelface.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #797
Die Cut Diva

Heart Thanks, Caterina!

Yes, it is hard to believe that Sicily has been gone 5 years! Her family is in my thoughts and prayers. It is never easy to loose a child, no matter how old they are when they pass! A parent should never have to bury their child! It just defies the way things should naturally be.

Hugs to all who are remembering Sicily, especially you, Caterina!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #798
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Thank you dear friend. <3
Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #799
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Today would be Sicily's 10th Birthday.

Attached Thumbnails
angelface-sicily.jpg   heavenly-birthday.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #800
Die Cut Diva

Heart Thanks for keeping Sicily's memory alive!

Happy Birthday, Sicily! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!!!