Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #2681
Stazon Splitcoast

It's so amazing how a power outage can turn some brains to mush. I'm sitting at the circulation desk this morning and there are a couple people on the public computers, when the power goes out. One guy turns around and looks at me and ask how long this is going to last. Really? I'm supposed to know the answer to that? I work in the library not the power company. This was at 10:45 this morning. This power outage covered 4 counties. No one had power except for the places that have to have back-up generators, like the hospitals, courthouse, jail. People would call or come in and ask if we had power. We would tell them that the outage is all over town and as far away as almost 200 miles away. We even had two people call and as if we have a copier. Yes, we do, but we have no power so it is totally useless at the moment. When is the power coming back on? We don't know. Whenever the power company cn fix the blown transformer at the power substation. How long will that be? We don't know. We don't work for the power company. That was pretty much what our conversations were for almost 5 hours. The power came back on about 2-1/2 hrs. before closing. We had power for only 5 minutes when someone asked if we got the newspaper yet. By now I'm slapping my forehead. How do these people expect to have the newspapers delivered on time when the power went out before the paper is completely printed, folded and ready to go? And to top it all off, we had only one phone that worked for incoming calls only. We couldn't call out. Now we have people wanting to use our phone. What part of "we can't call out" do they not understand. After the power came on, one guy who was hainging around went outside and came back in all upset because someone stole his bicycle from the rack. "Did you have the bike locked?" "No." Bicycles get stolen on a very regular basis from our library. And why would anyone want to ride a bike around town when there's ice all over the place? Thankfully the temps were in the 40s today and not below zero which is the norm in Feb. The day definitely wasn't boring. Oh,yeah. I forgot another good one. A couple ladies came in and wanted to know why all the lights and computers are turned off. Gee, would it be because the power is out? One of them (who happens to live across the street from me) started to argue with me. Apparantly, power was already restored to our neighborhood. We were still without power. A couple more people came in and started to agrue about no power in the library. I had to go to the light switch and prove to them we had NO power. Really? Why would I be sitting around in the dark all afternoon?

OK. I'll shut up now. I just thought you girls could use a real good laugh?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2682
Mad Swapper

Heart

Joan, I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. I am late at getting her card out. Should I still send it to the same address? 102 years is such a long, full life. Give her a hug for me!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #2683
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda- yes, I would still send the card. However, use my address as the return one. That way I can pass it on.

Judy- People just can't get it! They are just not thinking. We had a power outage at school last week. They let the kids out.... however we did dishes and clean up by the emergency lights. I lost 2 hours of pay that day!

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." - E. B. White

Joan
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2684
Stazon Splitcoast

One of my sisters visited Aunt Rose today. Today was my GDD's 3rd Birthday party. So I couldn't go! My sister told me that she read each and every card to Aunt Rose. She beamed form ear to ear and had to hold each one and ooh and aah. Thanks so much!

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." - E. B. White

Joan
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #2685
Mad Swapper

Smile

Joan, I feel bad that my card to your Aunt Rose is late. I've had some problems with my daughter this week that has got me upset. Then my Craft Room keeps hiding things from me, lol. I took a picture of her card, so if I can figure out how to work this computer, or the SCS's programs, I will get some cards loaded in a week or two.

At least I got a good night's sleep last night. However, My leg is really hurting pretty bad both yesterday and today. Must be the weather.

My SIL is in the worst areas on the east coast, helping put their electric back together. He might be there quite a while!!! I hope all of you get plowed out by this evening, and have a great Sunday!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #2686
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I'm terrible. I either missed the post about cards to Aunt Rose or forgot all about it (which I'm very certain is the case). I'm having a difficult time keeping up with the birthday cards I NEED to make each month. Now that tax season is upon us, I'm only going to have Sundays free to do everything: housework, laundry, cards and all the other things I keep adding to my to-do list. I can't wait unitl April 8 which is my last day of taxes. And it will that much closer to when we go to Nebraska to see my girls.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #2687
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammatroll View Post
Joan, I'm terrible. I either missed the post about cards to Aunt Rose or forgot all about it (which I'm very certain is the case). I'm having a difficult time keeping up with the birthday cards I NEED to make each month. Now that tax season is upon us, I'm only going to have Sundays free to do everything: housework, laundry, cards and all the other things I keep adding to my to-do list. I can't wait unitl April 8 which is my last day of taxes. And it will that much closer to when we go to Nebraska to see my girls.
Goodness, you have a lot on your plate during this time... be sure to take extra good care and hope April 8th will be here quickly which will bring you closer to that trip!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2688
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Cat. I do make time for myself.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #2689
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- You are a busy lady... take care!

Joan
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #2690
Stazon Splitcoast

No worries there, Joan. I make sure I have time to keep in touch with my friends, look at the galleries and read.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #2691
Stazon Splitcoast

This group has become very quiet lately. I miss hearing from everyone. I pray all are safe. Hugs across the miles....

Joan
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #2692
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
This group has become very quiet lately. I miss hearing from everyone. I pray all are safe. Hugs across the miles....
Yes it has, Joan, of course, I have been super busy helping Reynold raise funds for St. Baldrick's. The big day is tomorrow when they will shave all his hair off in memory of sweet Sicily who was taken by childhood cancer three years this month.

Here is Reynold's site where the before picture is and then we will post the after picture. You can also see a picture of precious Sicily on his site.

Reynold Grove | A St. Baldrick's Participant
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #2693
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I think it's been pretty quiet because of our little fb group. I've been quiet there, too.

God willing, we'll be in NE playing with the granddaughters 3 months from now. I will be so ready for a vacation by then.

The other day I did taxes for a friend's kids. Super easy to do and I told them they didn't owe me a thing. The friends took us out to dinner when I got off work today as a thank you. Now that's my kind of thank you. I just checked my schedule for doing taxes at the credit union and I have only about 6 slots open. And most of the ones filled are ones I have been doing for the past 4 years. It's so nice to be needed. The best thing is they appreciate it,too.

Hope all is well with everyone. Have a blessed weekend.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #2694
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all - feeling icky. Got a cold and am achy, fever/chills, sore throat, etc., etc. I will be glad when this is gone - I've got things to do!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #2695
Stazon Splitcoast

Get well soon, Joan. We've been real lucky and haven't been sick at all. I'm lucky since we've been getting people in the library who are hacking away. I wish they would stay home. One coworker has been sick all week with a sinus infection and ear infections. You take care of yourself.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2696
Stazon Splitcoast

Well! we got a snow fall...DH measured 11 inches in our backyard. I went to school at my regular 6:15 AM. Then at 6:35 school was closed. The boss, chef, and tow of us regular workers were there. we finished up with the food that was started. The menu will be altered to allow us to use the food prepared today. We worked until 8:30 and then went to breakfast at a local cafe. The best part... the boss treated. DH and I got a hair cut with no wait. we did get stuck once on our own street... it will be plowed tomorrow sometime!

Joan
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #2697
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I hate to say this (not really) but I'm glad it was you and not us. It seems like the country around us is getting our normal winters. i'm not missing it. I'm sure we're good for at least one more good snowstorm before summer. It wouldn't surprise me if we got it May.

I wish everyone to be healthy or on the mend today. God bless all of you.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #2698
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- I have thought the same thing many times. I guess the east coast is getting a bit of the white flaky stuff!

Thinking of all!

Joan
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #2699
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to share - hope you enjoy!

Rob Mills Family - Through The Decades - YouTube
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #2700
Stazon Splitcoast

My new boss needs lots of prayers. The library foundation board terminated her yesterday. They didn't give her a reason but since she was still in the probationary period, I guess they didn't have to give any reasons. She just moved here in July and has no family here. She really can't afford to move again right now, but jobs are pretty scarce around here. Please pray for a new job for her. She's pretty distressed right now. I have a couple ideas of why she was terminated, but really don't want to speculate.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #2701
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
My new boss needs lots of prayers. The library foundation board terminated her yesterday. They didn't give her a reason but since she was still in the probationary period, I guess they didn't have to give any reasons. She just moved here in July and has no family here. She really can't afford to move again right now, but jobs are pretty scarce around here. Please pray for a new job for her. She's pretty distressed right now. I have a couple ideas of why she was terminated, but really don't want to speculate.
Oh so sorry for this woman regardless of the termination reasons, it is a tough place for her to be.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #2702
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Debbie- prayers going up for your boss. These are hard times to be out of work!

Joan
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #2703
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Wishing everyone a blessed Good Friday - thought this was worth sharing.

The Humble Servant

One day a humble servant of the Lord lost a very dear friend to the scourge cancer. The humble servant felt great sorrow and prayed that he would someday see his friend again. After much time in prayer, the humble servant was confronted by a demon. The demon said to him, "Why do you waste your time in prayer? There is no proof that God exists."

The humble servant answered him, "I have faith and that is why I pray."

The demon then said to him with disdain, "Faith is no more than superstition. On what do you base this 'faith?'"

The humble servant answered, "I base this faith on trust."

"Trust in whom?" the demon retorted. "In whom do you have such trust that you would ignore the laws of probability and the laws of science?"

"I trust in Christ," the humble servant replied.

"In Christ!" the demon exclaimed. "In Christ! Name one thing Christ has done to earn your trust. Tell me please, what has He ever done to earn your prayers? I dare you to name one miracle He has ever performed that has been proven by science to be true. Name it! Name it!" he taunted with glee.

The humble servant stood with patience, and then answered with three simple words: "The Church exists."

"What?" the demon declared in confusion. "What!" he said again with vexation. "What do you mean 'the Church exists?' Please tell me how this relates to trust. Please tell me how this justifies your wasted time in prayer?"

The humble servant calmly explained his answer. "Jesus Christ made a promise--the simple promise 'Upon this rock I will build my Church, and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.' And now after 2000 years the Church still endures. It endures despite a history of heresies and persecutions. It endures despite the tyranny of despots. It endures despite the laws of probability and the laws of science. What greater miracle is there than this—that the son of a simple carpenter, who lived a life of poverty, and dwelled with the lowly, who never ventured more than a hundred miles from the town of his birth, and who died a criminal's death on a cross, would establish a great and holy Church, and that the teachings of this Church would be spread throughout the world by twelve simple men--men who hid in fear after the crucifixion? Yet in a mere three days after this lowly criminal's death, these twelve sprang forth and proclaimed His word and gave up their lives so that His promise would ring true. And over the centuries thousands of others gave their lives also, so that the Church would go on. The most powerful kings and most menacing armies stood against her, but the Church did not falter. For 2000 years this Church has withstood the test of time, overcoming the greatest of odds again and again. It surmounted the insurmountable. It beat the unbeatable foe. It prevailed through the harshest of storms. I say to you, this Church has shattered the very laws that you exalt. It defied that laws of probability, and it humbled the laws of science."

The humble servant continued on, "The existence of this Church is not a myth. The existence of this Church is not a legend. That this Church exists is an undeniable fact. That Christ's promise was kept is an undeniable fact. And if He kept this promise, then how can there be any doubt that He will keep His greatest promise—the promise that was central to His ministry, the promise that said 'If you believe in me, and eat of this bread, and drink of this cup, you shall live forever.' So when you ask 'why do I have faith,' I tell you, it is because I have trust, and nothing that your fair science can offer can break that trust. This is why I pray, so that someday I will enjoy that most sacred covenant of all"--the humble servant paused briefly and then added with solemnity and conviction--"together with my friend!" He then looked the demon right in the eye. "What good can your science and probability offer that is greater than this?"

With those words, the demon turned away, never to bother the humble servant again.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #2704
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, everyone. I haven't been ignoring you. I've been busy. Having one day off is no fun. I'm done with taxes on Monday and am looking forward to having that day back for me.

My friend with cancer hit a bump. She didn't go into detail about her results last week but said it was a blow. She needs lots of prayers.

My neighbor across the street also needs lots of prayers. Her husband died suddenly last month and she's having a very difficult time. He did all the business and she has no idea what's what. She's too young to get half his railroad pension (close but not close enough) so she's not sure if she'll be able to keep the house after a year.

Vince has a spur on his shoulder which needs to be taken care of. He'll have surgery sometime after his birthday in July. He doesn't want to lose use of that arm until after our trip to see the girls next month, then we have the 4th of July to get ready for. He won't be able to draw for a few weeks. That will drive him nuts.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #2705
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- praying for your neighbors and Vince. Dh has been off on workman's comp for two weeks. He has been going to therapy and goes back on April11th to see the surgeon. He fell and hurt his shoulder. he is driving me out of my mind. He needs a hobby.

Joan
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #2706
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Debbie- praying for your neighbors and Vince. Dh has been off on workman's comp for two weeks. He has been going to therapy and goes back on April11th to see the surgeon. He fell and hurt his shoulder. he is driving me out of my mind. He needs a hobby.
Sorry about DH being off due to injury and hope the doctor will get him on the mend soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2707
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Hi, everyone. I haven't been ignoring you. I've been busy. Having one day off is no fun. I'm done with taxes on Monday and am looking forward to having that day back for me.

My friend with cancer hit a bump. She didn't go into detail about her results last week but said it was a blow. She needs lots of prayers.

My neighbor across the street also needs lots of prayers. Her husband died suddenly last month and she's having a very difficult time. He did all the business and she has no idea what's what. She's too young to get half his railroad pension (close but not close enough) so she's not sure if she'll be able to keep the house after a year.

Vince has a spur on his shoulder which needs to be taken care of. He'll have surgery sometime after his birthday in July. He doesn't want to lose use of that arm until after our trip to see the girls next month, then we have the 4th of July to get ready for. He won't be able to draw for a few weeks. That will drive him nuts.
So sorry for all that is going on with your friend, neighbor and with Vince... seems like the problems never end. Sending much love, support and prayers.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #2708
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Am very grateful to the Lord that the medical procedure done yesterday morning went well and the urologist said that everything looked good to him. He does want me to have a scan just to cover all the bases. Am still a bit tired from the anesthesia so have been sleeping a bit.
grammatroll likes this post.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #2709
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all - since Michele started the facebook page, I haven't stopped here as often. That's not a good thing!

Prayers going out to all those who need them. I am so confused. I keep hearing how the economy is doing better and jobless claims are down. How can that be when I know so many people out of work? And more losing jobs almost on a weekly basis. Honestly, I don't trust what the media tells me most of the time.

My dad's back has been bothering him. He saw the doctor twice (that in itself is amazing) and had an xray. He has a compression fracture and is on vicodin. If my dad is on something that strong you know he hurts. He has a high pain tolerance. The worst part is the doctor said it could take 6 wks to 3 months to heal. If it heals. I know this is so hard for my dad. He wants to start cleaning up the yard. He is getting grumpy and that is hard on my mom. Dad is 89. He's slowed down in the last ten years (after two heart attacks and surgery) but I know that he enjoys working outside this time of year. Prayers would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #2710
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Hi all - since Michele started the facebook page, I haven't stopped here as often. That's not a good thing!

Prayers going out to all those who need them. I am so confused. I keep hearing how the economy is doing better and jobless claims are down. How can that be when I know so many people out of work? And more losing jobs almost on a weekly basis. Honestly, I don't trust what the media tells me most of the time.

My dad's back has been bothering him. He saw the doctor twice (that in itself is amazing) and had an xray. He has a compression fracture and is on vicodin. If my dad is on something that strong you know he hurts. He has a high pain tolerance. The worst part is the doctor said it could take 6 wks to 3 months to heal. If it heals. I know this is so hard for my dad. He wants to start cleaning up the yard. He is getting grumpy and that is hard on my mom. Dad is 89. He's slowed down in the last ten years (after two heart attacks and surgery) but I know that he enjoys working outside this time of year. Prayers would be appreciated.

Joanne, so very sorry about your dad, at his age, it is extremely difficult for him and all the family. Sending baskets of support, love, hugs and prayers.

Btw, the economy has not and is not recovering. Every time we go out, I see more and more businesses closed that have been around since moving to Reisterstown in 1970. There are more people than ever out of work, on food stamps and struggling in a major way.

Having worked for the gov, they have their own 'math' system and know how to rearrange numbers to suit. For example, once someone no longer collects unemployment and is still out of work, those people are not counted any longer in the unemployment numbers. There are other factors as well so I will just say that if all the people who still have no jobs would be counted and the work force would be as it was a few years ago, unemployment would be more like 12-14%.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #2711
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Am very grateful to the Lord that the medical procedure done yesterday morning went well and the urologist said that everything looked good to him. He does want me to have a scan just to cover all the bases. Am still a bit tired from the anesthesia so have been sleeping a bit.
I'm glad everything looks good.
When did the like button show up? I stay away for a few days and I miss the changes.

I had a soft tissue mole removed from my inner thigh yesterday. Praying the path report comes back negative. I'm not losing sleep over it. I also found out I'm diabetic now. No surprise there with all the diabetes in my family. Right now I'm on meds and trying to watch my diet. I really don't want to go on insulin. I don't like poking myself in the finger to test my blood sugar and I just started that yesterday. Now I just have to teach DH how to cook differently.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #2712
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post

Will pray for your dad. I know my dad, 83, likes to do his own yard work. He doesn't do much, but at least he can still do it, for now. With his eyesight, not sure how much longer he'll be able to enjoy it.

I have to agree with Caterina. Unemployment is not improving.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #2713
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
What did the surgeon have to tell your DH? I know what you mean about him needing a hobby. If DH didn't have his artwork and enjoy working in the yard, he would not have survived these past 15 years since he was forced to retire.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #2714
Stazon Splitcoast

The dr wants home to keep doing therapy and return on May 9th. he is reluctant to do surgery but I keep thinking do it and get it over with! he is stir crazy. His work is not very happy about all this.

Joan
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #2715
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
The dr wants home to keep doing therapy and return on May 9th. he is reluctant to do surgery but I keep thinking do it and get it over with! he is stir crazy. His work is not very happy about all this.
PT can be a long haul and can understand how he is not too thrilled. Hope things will look up soon!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2716
Stazon Splitcoast

I am officially tired of snow. We are under another winter storm warning. It has been raining, sleeting, and now snowing since last night. I shoveled and could hardly lift it. Under the snow as at least an inch of slush. A funny thing... today was the day our area had a practice tornado drill. It is snowing like crazy and the sirens for a tornado warning were going off. My arms ache. I love the cold winter but when teh temp hovers around 32 it is dark and dreary. Sorry for the rant.

Joan
Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #2717
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
I am officially tired of snow. We are under another winter storm warning. It has been raining, sleeting, and now snowing since last night. I shoveled and could hardly lift it. Under the snow as at least an inch of slush. A funny thing... today was the day our area had a practice tornado drill. It is snowing like crazy and the sirens for a tornado warning were going off. My arms ache. I love the cold winter but when teh temp hovers around 32 it is dark and dreary. Sorry for the rant.

Oh Joan! I could not stand all the snow you get... so rant away.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2718
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan - I'm with Caterina - you have had a lot of snow. I'm sorry that we didn't have some this year, but we had enough gray, dreary days that depressed me so I understand.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #2719
Stazon Splitcoast

It is beautiful today. The sun is shining it is 20 degrees. The ground is covered with snow! Wait isn't it April 20th??? Oh well! It is MN. Next week it could be 80. One never knows in MN.

Joan
caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #2720
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Happy Sunday! It is sunny here but cool... at least there is no s-n-o-w. Not sure I could handle that stuff as some of you do in the north.

Hope all is going well today for everyone.