Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #2601
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Today marks the 71st anniversary of Japan bombing Pearl Harbor. My mother was a young lady when this happened and made sure to tell her children about the Day that lives in infamy... as well as all the sacrifices made by the greatest generation and all Americans during WWII and how everyone did all they could to fight the huge threat to our freedom. Although my mother was born in Cefalu, Sicily must say have never met a more patriotic person who loved & appreciated this country and the military. She would be extremely proud of her great grandson, Alexander.

During Thanksgiving 1994, Reynold and I were in Hawaii and visited Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona - they are no word to describe the emotions.

US Commemorates Pearl Harbor Anniversary
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #2602
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina- A man who was a Pearl Harbor survivor lived down the block. He gave us info for school projects. However, he was very terse in his answers. He was injured and told us about how it happened.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #2603
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
Caterina- A man who was a Pearl Harbor survivor lived down the block. He gave us info for school projects. However, he was very terse in his answers. He was injured and told us about how it happened.
Most WWII vets never seem to want to talk about the harsh realities of it. Cannot imagine how hard it was.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #2604
Gabfest Goddess

Happy Saturday ladies!!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Today off to a church craft event I bring 3 project and a friend brings her 3 projects . . Today my sister will come too so it will be good we do that from 10 - 1 - Then I get my nephew who is 15 and we will come home put up tree and do some decorating and watch a movie!!

Funny today DAH - not a typo - locked himself out and I laughed hard without him seeing me but I laughed so hard cause in my head I was thinking - yeah soon you will be really locked out. . . I have a twisted sense of humor

Blessings
Michele
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2605
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, I didn't realize DAH was still living there. I love your twisted humor. Have fun at the craft fair.

It snowed again last night. The weather report was right for a change.. Crazy weather again this year. One day it's warm enough for just a jacket and the next it's cold and snowing.

Today's my Friday. I need to sit down and get my cards ready to mail. Now I need to find where I put everyone's addresses. I don't know why I don't keep them in the same place. At least the cards are made. I've been working on them all year long.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #2606
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele - has DAH found a place yet?

It rained almost all night here. I thought it was supposed to clear up over night. Now it is foggy and gray. Our town Christmas parade is this afternoon. I hope it clears up for them!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #2607
Gabfest Goddess

Hi girls, well DAH is still here downstairs though not upstair.s but I allowed for DD so that it wasn't abrupt and wanted to fake hang through holidays. Let's be serious he can''t afford crap and this way all snow work for house and lugging of pellets he will do I told him for the winter he can stay now it's wearing on me a little. He is so selfish and today he is not working and not working tonight and he tells DD she should walk to bus and it's pitch dark out there at 6:25 am lazy butt Jenn just said "I will let mom know" he then got butt up!! I don't know what he will do come April 1st. . .
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #2608
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, you're a lot more generous than I would have been.

I had a nice little visit with my friend with cancer. I had a box of books for her so she and her DH came by to pick it up on her way to her doctor's appointment. It looks like she starts chemo next week. They had to leave some of the cancer because one spot is on the liver and one on the pancreas. Neither have entered the lining so her oncologist is optimistic that chemo will take care of it. The chemo she'll be given is a 5-hour treatment once day every 3 weeks. She'll have to travel almost 300 miles for the treatment, but she's very comfortable with this oncologist and he's the one who did her surgery. She has a very strong outlook and a good sense of humor. Both are strong enemies against the cancer. Continued prayers for Laura will be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #2609
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to share this funny chuckle that has been around since I was a youngster....

Mother of Six

Joe was proud of his family of six children. He frequently
referred to his wife as "Mother of Six," much to her
annoyance. Finally, she cured him of his habit. At the end
of a big party, Joe called out loud enough for everyone to
hear: "Ready to go, Mother of Six?"

"Any time you are," she replied, "Father of Four."
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #2610
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele- Thinking of you! Hugs

Debbie- Positive thoughts going out to your friend!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #2611
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele- Thinking of you! Hugs

Debbie- Positive thoughts going out to your friend!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #2612
Gabfest Goddess

Debbie, I am praying for your friend!! Thankful the chemo should do it!! Your such a sweet friend.

Joan - I think of you often and appreciate you!

Cat - your always an inspiration to me and I thank you for all your encouraging posts and kindness it all shows!

Joann - thanks for thinking of me and always appreciate the FB thinking of you posts

Ladies you all mean so much to me, and your support and kind words can get me through the day - on rough ones I pull out the cards I keep them at my desk cause I see them most here. I have a row of them that surround my cube that you can only see when sitting in my chair. My boss noticed and she told me that was ultra cool. . . so thank you!

It's so nice to be able to come here read posts and vent. FB, too many people would see and DD does not like that idea so you are my comfort zone. I have had major ups and downs but I keep on hearing God put on my heart to just remain calm and I have been doing my best and have been being as upbeat as I can but also giving him the low down of what is going to happen. He is still upset about Jeep insurance but I did the right thing for health insurance and not going to pay out $1,300 for him this year. . . He tells me to get the car out of his name and put into mine I said no problem let me get my stuff out and you can have it and I won't make another payment yours in January. . . Then he backs off and says "oh stop Michele" I said listen I can't pay your bills and mine!! You live here rent free! Ahhhhh - frustrating but paperwork is in motion and this may sound bad but I have a date for New Years Eve and I am thrilled! Even if it is just for a night - I haven't been out or had any real fun in at least 5 years!! I stuck DH with his DD and he has to be there. He thinks I am lying about going out - but he is obviously wrong. Made me laugh - like 'have you met me?'
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #2613
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Michele, you know you can use "custom" feature on FB or put only certain friends in a group so that when you post, only those ppl will see it. I do that often.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #2614
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Wow on some of these houses decorated for Christmas complete with music.

See the 10 Craziest, Coolest, Zaniest & Most ‘Seizure-Inducing’ Christmas Light Shows of 2012 | Video | TheBlaze.com
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #2615
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Michele, you know you can use "custom" feature on FB or put only certain friends in a group so that when you post, only those ppl will see it. I do that often.
You know for that stuff didn't think about it, like we made one for our youth at church and then also church family. I think I should make a "my peeps support group"
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #2616
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele- Sounds like a great idea! I too depend on this little group for support!
I wish I knew how to do that, Caterina!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #2617
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Michele- Sounds like a great idea! I too depend on this little group for support!

I will start a new group and invite you ladies
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #2618
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Joan, just go to your friends click on it and put them in a category - such as family. close friends or any name you want to give that group. I have about 10 different ones. Then when you post on FB click the word public and it will bring down your lists.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2619
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood17 View Post
I will start a new group and invite you ladies

Michele if you are going to start a new group page, be sure to make it secret. You will know by the lock that shows up on the group's name. If you notice the We Built It group has a lock on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #2620
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina - you are a wealth of information! You know so much more about computer issues than I do!

Michele - you are a treasure. And you are being much more generous that I would have as well. I'm glad you are trusting in the Lord. HE WILL see you through.

Debbie - so glad you had time to visit with Laura. I really liked my oncologist as well. I have had people tell me their doctors didn't tell them what to expect from the treatment, didn't get time to talk to the doctor, etc. My doctor told me every little thing to expect during the chemo - I was never surprised or scared about a symptom that popped up. Laura does have a long trip, but every three weeks isn't too bad. Will continue to pray for her.

Joan - you know I adore you, too! How is your son doing? I'm thinking and praying for him, too.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #2621
Gabfest Goddess

Hi ladies, so I created a new FB Secret Group - MY SCS Girls! Check to see if you can see it and Cat look to make sure I did it right!!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #2622
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood17 View Post
Hi ladies, so I created a new FB Secret Group - MY SCS Girls! Check to see if you can see it and Cat look to make sure I did it right!!

Michele just tried to find it and came up empty... send the link to me in a message on FB.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #2623
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Caterina - you are a wealth of information! You know so much more about computer issues than I do!

Michele - you are a treasure. And you are being much more generous that I would have as well. I'm glad you are trusting in the Lord. HE WILL see you through.

Debbie - so glad you had time to visit with Laura. I really liked my oncologist as well. I have had people tell me their doctors didn't tell them what to expect from the treatment, didn't get time to talk to the doctor, etc. My doctor told me every little thing to expect during the chemo - I was never surprised or scared about a symptom that popped up. Laura does have a long trip, but every three weeks isn't too bad. Will continue to pray for her.

Joan - you know I adore you, too! How is your son doing? I'm thinking and praying for him, too.

Not really, Joanne, there is much more I wish I knew...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #2624
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't find it either, Michele.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #2625
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

If you would like to mail sympathy cards or letters of support and solidarity to the school, the school address appears to be:

Sandy Hook Elementary School
12 Dickenson Drive
Sandy Hook, CT 06482 -1218

Sending a card is something small but at least it's something we can do."
America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #2626
Stazon Splitcoast

Thnaks for the address, Cat.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2627
Stazon Splitcoast

My ds and DGD just left. He and his wife are working on a reconciliation. I have been praying. Please keep them in your prayers. I believe in them but they do not!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #2628
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
My ds and DGD just left. He and his wife are working on a reconciliation. I have been praying. Please keep them in your prayers. I believe in them but they do not!

Trusting the Lord to do a mighty work!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #2629
Stazon Splitcoast

Will keep your DS and his wife in my prayers, Joan.

The rest of my cards and packages have been mailed out today. Now all I have to do is finish up presents for the family living here. Every year I tell myself that I'm going to try real hard to have things done before this week in December. I really need to start all of these homemade gift ideas in September at the latest. I really need to get my room cleaned so I can have space to work. I don't even know where all this stuff came from.

I have a new great niece. Charly Renee was born Dec. 15. She's such a tiny thing weighing in at 6 lbs. 6 oz. And she lives here. She's the first of all my dad's great grandchildren to be living close. The others are scattered between Nebraska, Minnesota and Oregon. I wish my mom was here to see all her great grandchildren. She died 19 years ago today.

Hope you all have a good week.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2630
Stazon Splitcoast

Judy- My mom's funeral was 14 yrs ago yesterday! I love newborns.

keep the prayers coming!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2631
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Hope this puts a smile on some faces....

Merry Christmas To My Female Friends

If I were ol' Santa, you know what I'd do
I'd dump silly gifts that are given to you
And deliver some things just inside your front door
Things you have lost, but treasured before.
I'd give you back all your maidenly vigor,
And to go along with it, a neat tiny figure.
Then restore the old color that once graced your hair
Before rinses and bleaches took residence there.
I'd bring back the shape with which you were gifted
So things now suspended need not be uplifted.
I'd draw in your tummy and smooth down your back
Till you'd be a dream in those tight fitting slacks.
I'd remove all your wrinkles and leave only one chin
So you wouldn't spend hours rubbing grease on your skin.
You'd never have flashes or queer dizzy spells,
And you wouldn't hear noises like ringing of bells.
No sore aching feet and no corns on your toes,
No searching for spectacles when they're right on your nose.
Not a shot would you take in your arm, hip or fanny,
From a doctor who thinks you're a nervous old granny.
You'd never have a headache, so no pills would you take.
And no heating pad needed since your muscles won't ache.
Yes, if I were Santa, you'd never look stupid,
You'd be a cute little chick with the romance of a cupid.
I'd give a lift to your heart when those wolves start to whistle,
And the joys of your heart would be light as a thistle.
But alas! I'm not Santa. I'm simply just me,
The matronest of matrons you ever did see.
I wish I could tell you all the symptoms I've got,
But I'm due at my doctor's for an estrogen shot.
Even though we've grown older, this wish is sincere,
Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2632
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Caterina!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #2633
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina - I shared that with my best friend. She and I are always complaining about the aches and pains.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #2634
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the chuckles, Cat.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #2635
Stazon Splitcoast

My DS and DGD came over yesterday for Christmas. All three boys were at home. We had a great deal of fun with DGD. I punched out snowflakes. She loves this little son' Little Snowflake". You can find it on you- tube. She started singing the song almost as soon as she saw them all over the floor by the tree. it turned into a snow ball fight. She pestered youngest DS to play with her. it was fun to watch. I feel bad that DIL wouldn't come. I told my son that she will always be part of our family because she is DGD mom. HE just shrugged.

Did you notice my new avatar???? it is my DGD with Santa,

Last edited by smileyj; 12-23-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #2636
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan - I'm glad that all three of your sons were there and you enjoyed it! You are such a sweet person. Your DIL is missing out. Maybe she'll realize that one day. I hope things work out well for them.

My hubby hurt his back earlier this week and yesterday was horrendous. He was in severe pain all day. We saw the doctor early in the day, also a chiropractor in the same office. He thinks maybe he should have waited to have the chiropractor treat him. But, thankfully, after a horrible 24 hours he is feeling better today.

HUGS to all my friends here. I hope to be back later or tomorrow, but if not, Merry Christmas to you all!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #2637
Stazon Splitcoast

Just dropping by for a quick hello. Need to get as much done as I can before DH gets out of bed.

Joan, I'm so happy for you getting to spend time with all the boys and DGD. I wish the girls could be here with us. We have never celebrated Christmas with them. At least DS lives here, but he's single with no kids.

Joanne, I know how helpless you feel when there's really nothing you can do for DH's back. Vince has been in constant pain since his accident 15 years ago. Some days are just worse than others. Hopefully, your DH won't have to deal with the pain as long.

I want to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #2638
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Joan, you DGD is precious!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #2639
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Caterina- I sure think so!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #2640
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...9473660&type=3