Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #1881
Stazon Splitcoast

Cat, that was cute. Taxes really aren't that bad. A lot of people make it more complicated than they need to. I do agree that the IRS has a lot of different forms to make it seem complicated (and some of them don't make sense). Sometimes I do agree about the straight tax, but there are so many people who can't afford to do that; like single parents with very little income but don't always qualify for assistance or they get very little, low-income families who are lucky if they get through the month. Without some of the credits and deductions (for the majority of people standard deduction is the best way to go) they would be paying more taxes than they can afford.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #1882
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammatroll View Post
Cat, that was cute. Taxes really aren't that bad. A lot of people make it more complicated than they need to. I do agree that the IRS has a lot of different forms to make it seem complicated (and some of them don't make sense). Sometimes I do agree about the straight tax, but there are so many people who can't afford to do that; like single parents with very little income but don't always qualify for assistance or they get very little, low-income families who are lucky if they get through the month. Without some of the credits and deductions (for the majority of people standard deduction is the best way to go) they would be paying more taxes than they can afford.

Was a single parent making very little so can relate. Perhaps they could put a flat tax on incomes above the poverty level or thereabouts... I do agree that some people who could use help and do not qualify - that needs to change. Truly if people were allowed to keep more of their own hard earned money, it would enable them to help someone else. That is how things were when I was growing up - people would help other people out in whatever way they could.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #1883
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina and Debbie- Dh and I were both saying the same things about taxes. A flat rate for all who earn above poverty level. I have been there and wondered about paying taxes when I had to decide to pay a bill, go to the dr, or feed my kids. Sorry this issue hits a hot button for me!

It is cool in MN. It was fun to watch the snow flakes yesterday!

Joan
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #1884
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Joan sweetie, it is a hot button for most people, especially when you hear of all the waste and abuse of taxpayer money - like the nearly $1 million the GSA splurged on expensive 'gifts' for themselves and luxury trips without giving a thought to what they were doing.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #1885
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Joan sweetie, it is a hot button for most people, especially when you hear of all the waste and abuse of taxpayer money - like the nearly $1 million the GSA splurged on expensive 'gifts' for themselves and luxury trips without giving a thought to what they were doing.

They waste and then it's let's cut education and social security - go for the most vulnerable in society I have little respect for it all. They need to be on the same health and social security plans like the rest of us and then they would fix the systems!!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #1886
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood17 View Post
They waste and then it's let's cut education and social security - go for the most vulnerable in society I have little respect for it all. They need to be on the same health and social security plans like the rest of us and then they would fix the systems!!

Amen, Michele.

Our ancestors fought the tyrant, King George for our freedom and now sadly, we have way too many King Georges in Washington, DC
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #1887
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Time for a cute funny...

Shampoo Alert!

As I was conditioning my hair in the shower this morning, I
took time to read my shampoo bottle. SHOCK---The shampoo
that runs down my entire body says "for extra volume &
body." Seriously, why have I not noticed this before?

Now I understand why I am so "full-figured."

Tomorrow I am going to start using "Dawn" dish soap. It says
"dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove."
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #1888
Stazon Splitcoast

Cute, Cat.

I agree about all the abuse of our money. It's always the needed programs that get cut. Another thing that really gets me is all the healthy people who are capable of working but they get welfare, on medicaid, get lots of food stamps; then you have someone who is doing his/her best to get out of the system who only want the assistance until they can get back on their feet and they're the first ones who get cut back or don't qualify. I better not even start on that one.

I want to know how I am supposed to pay for health insurance when/if it becomes mandatory. I don't have it because I can't afford it. No health insurance premium should be more than your rent or mortgage. I keep getting calls about "affordable" health insurance, but it's ridiculous. When you do find something close to reasonable, you have a very high deductible. So why pay premiums and try to pay off that high deductible at the same time. On top of that, if you don't purchase health insurance, you're going to pay a penalty. Now, if I can't afford the insurance in the first place, how can I afford to pay a penalty?

Congress is not looking out for us. When it comes to raises for them, I think they need to put it on a ballot for all of us to vote for it. I need to stop right here.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #1889
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammatroll View Post
Cute, Cat.

I agree about all the abuse of our money. It's always the needed programs that get cut. Another thing that really gets me is all the healthy people who are capable of working but they get welfare, on medicaid, get lots of food stamps; then you have someone who is doing his/her best to get out of the system who only want the assistance until they can get back on their feet and they're the first ones who get cut back or don't qualify. I better not even start on that one.

I want to know how I am supposed to pay for health insurance when/if it becomes mandatory. I don't have it because I can't afford it. No health insurance premium should be more than your rent or mortgage. I keep getting calls about "affordable" health insurance, but it's ridiculous. When you do find something close to reasonable, you have a very high deductible. So why pay premiums and try to pay off that high deductible at the same time. On top of that, if you don't purchase health insurance, you're going to pay a penalty. Now, if I can't afford the insurance in the first place, how can I afford to pay a penalty?

Congress is not looking out for us. When it comes to raises for them, I think they need to put it on a ballot for all of us to vote for it. I need to stop right here.

Sweetie, you are not alone in your thinking. My biggest concern is for the younger generation, they do not deserve to be burden with the huge debt that just keeps going up and up. This wild spending is clearly not sustainable and if something is not done, the country will collapse in financial ruin just as Greece and other countries. All I know to do is pray.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #1890
Stazon Splitcoast

I also pray for our leaders. When it is time to vote, I remember their decisions.

Joan
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1891
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
I also pray for our leaders. When it is time to vote, I remember their decisions.

Hopefully, Joan, other voters will be informed and remember and not let the 'spin' fool them. Must say when I was in my 20s, 30s was extremely uninterested in such matters but started to pay closer attention over the past 30 years.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #1892
Stazon Splitcoast

All we can do is pray for God to guide us in our decisions when it's time to vote.

I'm at work and bored out of my mind. The 3 hrs I've been here seem like an eternity and I still have one more hour. Story time starts in half an hour so that should keep me busy for a while. I guess they had lots at story time this morning. It wouldn't be so bad if I had a project to work on while sitting at the desk. Not really supposed to be online, but I have to keep my sanity. I already looked at the current Paper Crafts magazine. Wish I could be listening to the audio book I have at home. I'm on the last of the Hunger Games books. I didn't think I'd care to read the books, but when I had to check out disc someone said wasn't working correctly, I got hooked. The book itself is checked out or I would be reading right now.

It's been raining all day. Nothing heavy, but a nice spring rain. I can't believe we're actually having a real spring around here. It's usually winter and summer. Fall and spring might last a day or two.

Guess I should try to look busy. Have a great day!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #1893
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- I was wondering if the Hunger Games was worth listening to! I would love to be bored at work for even a few moments.

update: my niece is going back to work tomorrow. her boy friend only missed three days of work. My sister has been helping them financially. The car was totaled. The insurance company is not giving her enough money to pay off the loan. So as my sister says,"Mom and dad to the rescue". She is still in pain but off the heavy duty meds. Thanks for all your prayers. Please keep them coming.

Joan
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #1894
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, that's too bad about the insurance. Makes you wonder why we even have insurance at all sometimes. I enjoyed listening to the all three of the Hunger Games books. The narrater did such a good job I didn't want to quit until I was done with the last disc of the last book.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #1895
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
Debbie- I was wondering if the Hunger Games was worth listening to! I would love to be bored at work for even a few moments.

update: my niece is going back to work tomorrow. her boy friend only missed three days of work. My sister has been helping them financially. The car was totaled. The insurance company is not giving her enough money to pay off the loan. So as my sister says,"Mom and dad to the rescue". She is still in pain but off the heavy duty meds. Thanks for all your prayers. Please keep them coming.

Joan, grateful that you niece is able to go back to work and her boyfriend did not miss much of his job. It is such a shame that they had this accident and your niece is still in pain. Is there a way for them to appeal the insurance decision? Sending much love and prayers.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #1896
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Debbie, had not heard about The Hunger Games until the movie cam out and it certainly has done well in the theaters. What is the theme of it?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #1897
Stazon Splitcoast

Cat, the Hunger Games takes place in the future. The country is divided into 13 districts and run by a tyrant. District 13 had been wiped out generations earlier because of their uprising. Since then every year each district has to "reap" one boy and one girl between the ages of 12-18 to be a tribute in the Hunger Games. The tributes are put in an arena and have to kill each other off until there is only one tribute left. The heroine, Katniss, insults the President by her defiance and unknowingly starts uprisings in the districts. The author got the idea for the book from the gladiators and how Spartacus rebelled. It's geared for a more mature young adult. It's one of those good vs. evil type of story.

It's foggy and only 30 right now. We're ready for a little warmer weather. I'm glad I don't have to go to work until noon. I don't feel like going anywhere.

Some guy called here at 7am this morning. He forgot to change his clocks. Even a phone at 8am is too early for my taste. He wanted to talk to Vince about selling some artwork he owns. Of course, I wouldn't awaken Vince. He probably just started sleeping good.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #1898
Gabfest Goddess

Prayers for each of you and your families!! I have been thinking of you guys all week.

I agree all we can do is pray and use our heads when we vote - we saw now what the "change" was gonna do for us! It's crazy. . . My nephew said he learned a big lesson with that!

Getting ready for the SBS saturday can not believe it is this Saturday. Thankful I was able to get most done just have to finish some of the stamping stuff I need to do. Hoping DD will help tonight she is good with the cuttlebug!

DH leaves for FL tomorrow to meet up with his mom for the first time in over 30 years. My DD has issues with this (as do most) and she said I better not think of disappearing like that and she didn't know how her dad was able to forgive. I said it was a rough house to grow up in and he was not mad at her she was abused too and the alcohol had her for many years. . . So I said what if I just "lost it" and was not mentally stable - without missing a beat she told me "we have hospitals for that - and I need to be in a place where she can visit me - not skipping around somewhere where she didn't know where I was" did make me chuckle she has always wanted to control me. . . She is a good kid I know she loves me - we have a new script for Paxil for her and hoping that will help again. She knows she is better on it and asked doc for it now she is being a bit hesitatnt about actually putting it in her mouth. kids!

Hope everyone is having a good day
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #1899
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, have fun with your SBS this weekend. Wish I could be there. Praying your DH's meeting with his mother goes well. It's going to be a very emotional time for him. When he gets home, he's going to need all the love you and DD can give him.

The sun came out. Still chilly, in the 50's.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #1900
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele- I have been wondering if your DH was going to make the trip. How are you coping with his decision? I know that your SBS will be a great success. it is nice when our kids see reality so clearly.

Debbie- many of the teenagers at school have seen Hunger Games. I am just not sure if it is for me.

Tomorrow night is the recognition dinner for everyone with an anniversary at work. I have been there for 15 long years. As I have said many times, I love the kids and it is mutual. DH's boss is allowing him to work days so he can come with me. I am very grateful!

Joan
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #1901
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks ladies for the kind words. Joan, I am fine with DH's decision I have always known at some point she would pop up again and I was hoping for him that she would. I also knew he would be forgiving and I totally support him going and helped to fund the trip for him. . . I suggested the extra day and he knows that I am also in a place in my life that I don't need a MIL - I just want them both to be happy and that for me it is non-threatening and that it is expensive and DD didn't really even want to go. It's a lot for her and he understood that. She calls her "Ellen" and DH was OK with that he understands. I have sent her a package of pictures from over the years and ones of him and Jenn and also of our wedding and that had family members in it her nephews mostly and her grandson. So I do what I can and days I get stressed I really do, but I find the strength from God to continue on it's the only thing keeping me going. Thankful for all that I have and it has made me thankful for my family growing up. . . I have stood up for DH and his mother with his cousin and other family members (so politely, but to the point) basically saying stay out of it if you have nothing nice to say be quiet. DH says that I can be so PC and gentle but then don't push mama bear cause I can be a force to deal with when pushed. His extended family has slowly learned this, we have had our ups and downs and this oddly enough has brought us closer. . .
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #1902
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, sounds like you and DH have a very healthy attitude about the whole thing. That's setting a good example for DD.

Well, I'm at work bored out of my mind again. I'm working all day. Can't wait to go to lunch in half an hour. When I get back, I'll either be on the desk again or go back reading the stacks. I did some shelving this morning and found a lot of books so out of order. I kind of like that job. Too bad our children's librarian doesn't; then her books would be much easier to find. I guess I better get back to work before the boss comes upstairs and catches me.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend. I have the next 3 days off. YES!!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #1903
Gabfest Goddess

Debbie enjoy your 3 days off and hope the rest of the day goes quickly for you. I too am a bit bored today!! Just 2 more hours.

DH has arrived in FL and in route to see mom. I am happy for him - he is nervous and excited all together.

Hugs to everyone - where is my friend Joann?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1904
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay------ Rant coming........
I had probably the worst day ever at work! Well actually it started yesterday. When she told me to hurry up so that my co workers could leave 1/2 hour early and get paid for it. I worked my full shift! I am so tired of being expected to pick up the slack for others. I am tired of being called out for stuff I didn't do but others say I did. Tonight is the recognition dinner for the school. I am one of those being honored. I really DON'T want to go. DS says I should. DH is stuck at work. I am angry, frustrated and even depressed. I have to sit with a few of my co-workers who are attending. An on top of that listen to my boss's malarkey and BS about me. It is just lip service.... I am over the top with frustration. Sorry Just needed to vent!

Joan
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #1905
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, you know you can rant all you want here. I hope you go to the dinner. You deserve the recognition. Hang in there, my friend. You know how hard you work and remember the kids like you.

While vince was in the bathroom earlier this afternoon, someone opened one of the gates in the backyard. When he went back outside the dogs weren't there. He was just ready to panic when he saw them wandering around the front yard. We get a lot of traffic on our street. I'm so glad they didn't run off. A couple of minutes after he got the dogs back in the yard, a cop showed up and wanted to know if our dogs were at large. We have a neighbor who is a fireman and his wife called the cops. Of course, they came right away. Vince gave the cop a real earful. Whenever he has called the cops about their dog wandering the neighborhood, he's told to call the dog catcher and there's nothing they can do about it. Calling the dog catcher around here is a joke. He won't pick up a stray dog unless you have the dog in custody. I guess his wife was afraid of our dogs tangling with their black lab. Vince told the cop that he's let their dog in our yard to play with the dogs. This same fireman is good at plowing his driveway and piling the snow across the sidewalk next to the neighbor between us. Half the time the snow ends up in their yard. No amount of complaining has worked. Our neighbors are both in their 80's and they don't need to be out there trying to clear that mountain of snow away. You would think a fireman would be more safety conscience at home. And before all that, Vince got a call from the oxygen company's home office saying we were behind on the bill. He told them we will pay it when we see the bill. As soon as I get the bill, I always pay it right away. They usually don't send the statement until the middle of the month. Unless they're saying we never paid it last month, which I know I did. Hmmm, I better check our account to see if that check has cleared. Thanks for letting me think out loud.

I got a real nice surprise in the mail today. I won the March drawing for the Stamp2Spend challenge and was given a nice envelope full of goodies. There was a bunch of 6x6 samples of paper, buttons, clear stickers, felt flowers, ribbon, and a small bag of chipboard tags. I don't even know what to start with first.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #1906
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- thanks for the kind words. My boss said a lot of BS. Many of the teachers and staff came to me after and told me how wonderful I am. it felt good. But I am worried about the repercussions on Monday. Congrats on winning.... All I can say about the neighbor is... some people!

Joan
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #1907
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I'm lucky I have the boss I have. She's very appreciative of how flexible I am with my schedule and she tells me. She is going to be missed a lot when she retires in July. There's going to be a lot of adjustments to make. The foundation board is starting the interview process next week. We only had 7 people apply for Bonnie's job and one of them dropped out before being interviewed. Maybe by the time I get back from NE, they'll have hired someone.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1908
Stazon Splitcoast

It is hard to get a new boss. Any one who has an understanding, caring person as a boss is blessed.

Joan
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #1909
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Girls!! Well it ended up being a super terrific stamp day I love having them but it is tiring. The group of ladies is so talented that it is fun, but hostess is nice cause everyone brings a copy of completed's with them so that I can do "stuff" while there and then talk. Blessed day!!

I hope everyone has a great Sunday today and whatever you find yourself today I pray everyone can find something to laugh about!! Laughter is good for the soul!

Hugs!!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #1910
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, sounds like you had a fun day yesterday.

I'm enjoying my long weekend. I've been doing more cleaning than cardmaking, though. I think today will be more cardmaking.

DD called yesterday. That girl could write a book about her life. She works for a cupcake shop. Saturdays she has to be to work at 5 am to start the baking. Yesterday, teh oven went out on them. They had 2 weddings and 1 birthday party to do. Since Sheri only lives 4 min. from work she was doing the baking at her place. Her manager lives a bit farther away, but she also baked from home. The boss was doing a lot of driving between Sheri, Myrna and work all morning until the repairman could get there. While she was waiting for cupcakes to bake, Sheri did a lot of unpacking and making room so she could put her kitchen table back together. She got a lot done and got paid doing it. Good thing she moved when she did.

Have a super Sunday, everyone.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #1911
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie- DD is resourceful. I skill she learned from you! I would love working at a cupcake shop. I love baking and decorating. Gave them both up when the boys moved out and Dh was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic.

Michele- Another time I wished I lived closer. You always have so much fun! I have not found a stampin up demonstrator near me that offers classes on weekends.

have a great Sunday!

Joan
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #1912
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Wow, this lady is awesome - I used to love to dance and miss..

I hope all of you will watch this 94 year old woman. She is an inspiration!!!!!!!

Matilda Kline is 94 years old. Look at her go...

Mathilda's Solo - YouTube
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #1913
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, they had to do something when they had more than 800 cupcakes just for special orders. They didn't have much to offer the general public until the repairman was able to help them out. The boss was going to do the baking at her house, but she lives so far north of the shop it would be at least half an hour drive one way.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #1914
Stazon Splitcoast

Cat, thanks for sharing the video. I had to laugh at the very beginning when the woman was fixing her "girls" in the dress.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #1915
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Here is another cute video of a very sweet excited little girl...

Jesus Loves You
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #1916
Gabfest Goddess

I wish we all lived closer!! I still like the beam you over to NJ thought!!

DH is at the airport in FL waiting to come back due to rain there is a delay (rain in NJ) but he sounds happy. So that is good. He fixed Mom's computer - and ordered her a new TV - DH and the TV he is addicted he loves movies so it is all good. I am happy for him. Late last night - I got the it's OK if mom stays with us for a little while to visit, right?! Uggghhh, how do I say no he has been so good to my parents over the years - but my only problem is that I don't always do well face to face and when I do, I then need time to hide for a while cause I get on overload - I am an intravert!! but we will see.

Does anyone know of a place online to purchase pre-made scrapbook pages?? 12 x 12?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #1917
Stazon Splitcoast

Cat, that is so cute. We can sure learn a lot from her.

Michele, I'm so glad DH's trip was a success. When his mother comes to visit, take a lot of deep breaths and pray a lot. You know God will get you through it.

The sun is shining but a little windy. It feels so good to be able to open windows and doors again. The dogs are loving it, too.

Today's the last day of my 3-day weekend. I planned on spending the weekend making lots of cards. All I did was one Christmas card and one thank you. I kept finding things around the house that needed to be taken care of . My house is getting a little cleaner every day. I'll be working lots of hours the next two weeks before I leave for Nebraska. It'll more than make up for the time I'm gone.

Have a great week. Know that God is with you all the time.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #1918
Gabfest Goddess

Oh I wish I could say my house was getting cleaner each day!! I am envious!! I think I may have to start working on that!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1919
Stazon Splitcoast

My house is far from spotless. With the dogs running in and out, I can't keep my kitchen floor clean at all. I like a lived-in home. Of course, with no kids around, it's a lot easier to keep uncluttered. The exception is my craft room. I'm forever having to clean in there, and I don't think I'll ever have everything organized.

It warmed right up today. It's 81. Keeps this up, we'll need to turn on the a/c.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1920
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele- I don't do well with comapny either. I really need my own space. I have not had anyone stay at my house for over 25 years. It is a step forward for Dh to feel comfortable enough with his mom to want her to stay with your family. Does he know how you feel?

Debbie- You can keep that heat!!!

Joan