Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Need a Lift? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/need-lift-f63/)
-   -   Canadians: Can you Send a Card to the Families of our Fallen Soldiers? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/need-lift-f63/canadians-can-you-send-card-families-our-fallen-soldiers-t425855.html)

heartwig 03-14-2009 06:04 PM

Canadians: Can you Send a Card to the Families of our Fallen Soldiers?

Does your heart ache every time you watch the news and hear of another one of our Canadian military sacrificing his or her life while serving in another country?

Mine does, and my husband came up with a great idea! I collect blank cards to send to our military so that they can send a card home to their families. This is NOT that project. This is something where we as SCSers can make and send a signed card of condolence to the family members of the soldiers, thanking them for their commitment to our country and to let them know we are thinking of them in their time of loss.

My connection at the Edmonton Garrison gave me this information:

"I think that is a very thoughtful idea, families really appreciate knowing people care.

If you go onto this website: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/f.../index-eng.asp it has a list of all of the fallen soldiers and the unit they are from and for most of them it contains the location of the unit (e.g. Petawawa) and then you can forward the cards to the Military Family Resource Center on that base and they will forward them on (I don't know all of the postal codes for each unit, so the MFRC's can send it through inter-base mail). We have received some cards from the public and we were able to pass them on to the unit to give to the family or we were able to pass it on to the family."

So here you go, for those that would be interested in sending out a personalized card.

stampin'grandma 03-15-2009 06:24 PM

I went to the website and was very moved at the numbers of faces of brave men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom. I was surprised to see how many were so young--many younger than my own sons. I can't imagine getting that dreaded news. I will do my best to send off cards to some of the families who mourn the loss of their "heroes".

diane7 03-15-2009 07:36 PM

Thanks for starting this one up too Carolyn!
Diane

heartwig 03-15-2009 07:39 PM

I clicked the link from my original posting and it said there was an error. I found the photos that stampin'grandma was talking about, so here's the link to that: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/f.../index-eng.asp

Not all the locations of the units are listed, so hopefully we can find them somewhere!

Thanks for your interest so far.

heartwig 03-17-2009 06:45 PM

I had someone send me an e-mail today with this blog - it's awesome! Thought you might like to see it too.

http://www.cnheroes.blogspot.com/

corrosive69 03-20-2009 05:30 PM

i am subbing...if i was to send a card help me with the wording on the inside...(i suck with words!!) There is a solider from close to me that just passed away a couple weeks ago...i would love to send a card:)
hugs

heartwig 03-20-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrosive69 (Post 13494007)
i am subbing...if i was to send a card help me with the wording on the inside...(i suck with words!!) There is a solider from close to me that just passed away a couple weeks ago...i would love to send a card:)
hugs

Something to the effect: "My thoughts are with you as mourn the loss of your family member. Words cannot express how grateful we are in Canada for the sacrifice you and he/she made to keep our country safe. May you and your family find comfort in knowing that there are those around you that support what he/she stood for."

Does that help any? I think it's most important to speak from the heart. Write it out on a separate paper first then write in the card (there are times I've regretted not doing that!).

diane7 03-21-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwig (Post 13495595)
Something to the effect: "My thoughts are with you as mourn the loss of your family member. Words cannot express how grateful we are in Canada for the sacrifice you and he/she made to keep our country safe. May you and your family find comfort in knowing that there are those around you that support what he/she stood for."
Does that help any? I think it's most important to speak from the heart. Write it out on a separate paper first then write in the card (there are times I've regretted not doing that!).

I think that is a lovely sentiment Carolyn...

Thanks for linking that other blog. It is a very nice tribute.
I have had the chance to stand on the bridges over the highway of herose many times, and I can tell you it is an extremely moving moment...

Diane

Cookiehead 03-22-2009 06:33 AM

Hi Carolyn - awesome idea!! Now, you almost made me cry again!!! I just got the set Thoughts & Prayers from SU and have made a ton of samples. I am going to check out the list and get them off sometime in the next few weeks. I am working on getting an actual address for the one in St. Catharines so I can send directly too. Thank you for your inspiration and dedication to this cause!!!
JC

corrosive69 03-22-2009 07:01 AM

Oh if you find the St. Catharines addy let me know!! :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiehead (Post 13504983)
Hi Carolyn - awesome idea!! Now, you almost made me cry again!!! I just got the set Thoughts & Prayers from SU and have made a ton of samples. I am going to check out the list and get them off sometime in the next few weeks. I am working on getting an actual address for the one in St. Catharines so I can send directly too. Thank you for your inspiration and dedication to this cause!!!
JC

heartwig 03-22-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane7 (Post 13499607)
I have had the chance to stand on the bridges over the highway of herose many times, and I can tell you it is an extremely moving moment...

Diane

I've watched it on the news several times and it brings me chills then, I can't imagine standing there in honor of those travelling the route for the last time.

heartwig 03-22-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiehead (Post 13504983)
Thank you for your inspiration and dedication to this cause!!!
JC

Thanks, but NONE of this would happen without all of you jumping in and supporting it. So thanks to you, and you and ...

diane7 03-22-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwig (Post 13509723)
Thanks, but NONE of this would happen without all of you jumping in and supporting it. So thanks to you, and you and ...

Oh dear... am I the only one now going to bed with the Sound of Music in their head????:rolleyes:
Diane

heartwig 03-23-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane7 (Post 13510837)
Oh dear... am I the only one now going to bed with the Sound of Music in their head????:rolleyes:
Diane

Oh man - I didn't even think of THAT until you mentioned it! :D

heartwig 04-14-2009 11:24 AM

We lost another soldier yesterday - a 21 year old female.

Another family needing our support.

diane7 04-15-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwig (Post 13744830)
We lost another soldier yesterday - a 21 year old female.

Another family needing our support.

Such a shame... It just doesn't get any easier to hear...

stampin'grandma 04-15-2009 07:21 AM

Really heartbreaking...in the paper this morning it said she is survived by her parents and a 14 yr old brother. Do you know what address we use to reach them?

heartwig 04-15-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'grandma (Post 13753883)
Really heartbreaking...in the paper this morning it said she is survived by her parents and a 14 yr old brother. Do you know what address we use to reach them?

I'm pasting the website again where they list all of our fallen soldiers. Her photo is already up along with the unit she was with. I have no idea where it's located, though. Does anybody know?

Another idea would be to get it to one of your local bases and see if they can forward it on for you.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/f.../index-eng.asp

I'll try and do a little more research to see what I can find.

heartwig 04-15-2009 07:10 PM

Trooper Karine Blais
Her home town: Les Méchins, Quebec

She belonged to: Unit: 12e Régiment Blindé du Canada, 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based in Valcartier, Quebec. Did lots of searching but couldn't find a specific address. If you send to the Military Family Resource Center in Valcartier Quebec, they should be able to forward it to the family.

Survived by her parents Gino and Josee, as well as a 14-year-old brother, Billy.

Hope that helps.

stampin'grandma 04-16-2009 05:05 AM

Thanks Carolyn. I'll send a card off today.

stampin'grandma 04-16-2009 03:10 PM

I was having trouble finding an actual address for the Military Family Resource Center in Valcartier, so my husband called their counterpart in Victoria (the closest base to where we live) and this is the address he was given:

Valcartier MFRC
PO Box 1000
Bld. #93
Station Forces
Courcelette, Quebec
G0A 4Z0

I was able to watch the repatriation ceremony on TV today for Trooper Blais--it was very sad to see.

kdsdog 04-16-2009 04:51 PM

As the mother of a Canadian Soldier, I will do this, my son is 27 years old and
just knowing his name has been put forward to go makes me nervous. I can't imagine get that kind of news. My heart breaks for them

heartwig 04-20-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdsdog (Post 13773461)
As the mother of a Canadian Soldier, I will do this, my son is 27 years old and
just knowing his name has been put forward to go makes me nervous. I can't imagine get that kind of news. My heart breaks for them

First of all, from all of us associated with the card program, THANK YOU for your commitment (through your son) to this country. We honor you in a big way. We stand behind you in what he does. Please keep us posted as to when he goes and how he's doing. It makes it very personal for all of us when we "know" someone through SCS is being touched by what's going on in Afghanistan.

kdsdog 04-28-2009 08:23 PM

Card ready to go

My card is ready to go to Corporal Karine Blais family, I am just not sure where to send it, can you help me here?

kdsdog 04-28-2009 08:34 PM

Ooops, found my answer in earlier posts, sorry, card now sent

heartwig 04-29-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdsdog (Post 13901823)
Ooops, found my answer in earlier posts, sorry, card now sent

Glad you found it - I thought we had posted the address (or at least a link) previously.

Also glad you sent off a card. The family will appreciate it, I'm sure.

heartwig 06-09-2009 10:59 PM

I really wish we didn't need to update this thread, but this week we lost another solider.

Private Alexandre Peloquin, 20, of the 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Regiment, died Monday while on foot patrol in southern Kandahar. He was based out of Canadian Forces Base at Valcartier near Quebec City.

scrappy_carla 07-07-2009 03:28 AM

subbing

heartwig 07-20-2009 11:09 AM

Thanks for bumping this up. We came home to hearing about the loss of another one of our soldiers.

I don't have his name handy, but maybe somebody else knows it?

stephgiles 09-02-2009 07:15 PM

subbing as this is the least I can do.

Chinook 09-20-2009 06:58 AM

bumping

heartwig 09-20-2009 03:22 PM

Wow - I didn't realize we had 14 more casualties since the last time I posted a name.

Here's the link again so you can see their photos and a little bit of information.

Our hearts go out to their families - we have no idea the pain and loss they must be feeling.

heartwig 01-02-2010 06:11 PM

I really wish I didn't have to update this post as it means when I do, we have more casualities.

Two of them were from the Edmonton Garrison where we dropped off our cards for the card project.

See the link on the post below this for more information.

RyansMom4Ever 05-10-2010 12:04 PM

Everytime I hear that another Canadian soldier has died, my heart breaks. I am a bereaved mother whose only child died years ago at the age of 15. My son was a Corporal with the Algonquin Royal Canadian Army Cadets and had plans to attend Kingston Military College to pursue a full-time military career.

I would like to send sympathy cards to the family members of our fallen soldiers; how do I go about finding the base addresses for each soldier? Thanks.

heartwig 05-11-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyansMom4Ever (Post 16660235)
Everytime I hear that another Canadian soldier has died, my heart breaks. I am a bereaved mother whose only child died years ago at the age of 15. My son was a Corporal with the Algonquin Royal Canadian Army Cadets and had plans to attend Kingston Military College to pursue a full-time military career.

I would like to send sympathy cards to the family members of our fallen soldiers; how do I go about finding the base addresses for each soldier? Thanks.

My sympathies to you in the loss of your son - even though it was years ago, it doesn't make the hole in your family any less.

Here is the link for the website. They have where the soldier was based out of, so I would assume you could find the address from there.