Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default My 7yr. old grandniece has a brain tumor

Hello Ladies,

I need to ask a big favor. My 7-yr. old grandniece, Emma, was found in March to have an inoperable brain tumor. She is undergoing 70 weeks of chemotherapy to hopefully shrink the tumor. She cannot receive radiation until she is 10. It is benign, but she will never be without this tumor, and will have to go through this over and over until it doesn't work any more. She has lost all her beautiful curly blond hair and has had an extremely hard time eating, but somehow she is able to keep her spirits up. She has a CaringBridge website here with photos and more info: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/EmmaStumpf She has been nothing but a joy to everyone and it is so hard to think of her spending her childhood like this.

Her mother said she would love to receive some lovely cards from you! She loves baseball, princess things, Disney, High School Musical, dancing, pink and purple - pretty much all the little girl stuff! She has one older sister (9) and a younger sister (3), and if I could be so bold as to ask for a few cards for them so they don't feel left out! All this is hard on them too, and every child loves to receive mail. Their names are Ellie and Elyssa.

I would also like to ask for your prayers for them all. I haven't been on SCS for a year yet, but it took me no time at all to realize how compassionate and caring you all are. Thank you SO MUCH!

Here again are the names: Emma Stumpf- she has the tumor
Ellie Stumpf- 6yrs. old
Elyssa Stumpf- 2 yrs. old
Lori Stumpf - mother

Address: P.O. Box 7214
Greenwood, In 46142

Again, thank you so much!!!

Last edited by Cathy'sFancy; 07-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: to correct some wrong information
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

Cathy, I will put cards in mail tomorrow for all of them and sending hugs and prayers. Very sad a child so young has to go thru something like this, it would be hard enough on an adult but a child, its just sad and horrible. Will gladly make some pretty pink card for them all.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Mad Swapper

Thank you so much, Betty!!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Stampin' Fool

You are very welcome, the kids get me everytime, but it might be because we are trying to adopt and that is the age group we are looking at between 5 and 10 yrs of age. So my heart goes out to the children and the parents.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I have finished 2 cards, working on the third. I will try to get to the post office by the end of the week but my prayers are already on their way.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelsmom View Post
You are very welcome, the kids get me everytime, but it might be because we are trying to adopt and that is the age group we are looking at between 5 and 10 yrs of age. So my heart goes out to the children and the parents.
Good luck to you, and bless you for wanting to welcome an older child into your home!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whim6915 View Post
I have finished 2 cards, working on the third. I will try to get to the post office by the end of the week but my prayers are already on their way.
Thank you so much, Christine!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

It will be a privilege to send out some happy mail. Will also be sure to go to her CB site and visit as often as I can.

Also, am a member of the Cole Foundation that ministers to children with life threatening diseases and their families. Perhaps someone could register Emma for prayer and encouragement - there is no cost to the family. You may click on my signature to check out the website.

"I asked God, 'How do I get the best out of life?'
God said, 'Face your past without regrets.
Handle your present with confidence.
And prepare for the future without fear!'"

"There are many Americans who are clever and fearless, but the trouble is they are small children fighting an ugly disease."
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Mad Swapper

Thank you, Caterina! I had read recently of the Cole Foundation from someone on SCS recently - maybe it was you! I will pass the info along to the family.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

I will make a few cards today.
Also, mom Lori can sign up for Hugs & Hope and Emma will receive cards monthly from all of us volunteers.

HUGS & HOPE FOUNDATION
Old 07-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post
Also, mom Lori can sign up for Hugs & Hope and Emma will receive cards monthly from all of us volunteers.

HUGS & HOPE FOUNDATION

The Hugs & Hope Foundation sounds wonderful and wondered if it would be possible to share this with family members of the Cole Foundation who have children with life-threatening diseases?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post

HUGS & HOPE FOUNDATION
Thank you for the cards and for the info on the foundation! I will send the forward the info to them. It sounds like a great group.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

I have GOOD NEWS! This was written by Emma's mother on her CaringBridge site:

'Our appt on Thursday went wonderful. This is the first time we have gone to chemo and actually gained weight. She had gained 3 ounces. I know it is not much but we will take what we can get! The doctor also said that they expect at the end of the 70 weeks of chemo that her tumor will be dead. Since it is inoperable it will remain in her head but they are expecting to kill it completely and don't expect to use any radiation on her. If it should grow after her treatment is done, then we will re-asses the situation and determine the best treatment at that time for her depending on how quickly it would start to grow again. '

Hopefully you will notice that I corrected some information in my original post. I live in another state from them and rarely see them, but hear about them from my dad and sister, and I had some information wrong about ages and name spellings.

Thanks to all of you who have sent prayers and cards! We appreciate it so much!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Have visited her site and am so very grateful to the Lord for His protective care!!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Mad Swapper

Thought I'd write an update on Emma:

Her tumor has only shrunk a few millimeters but chemo is continuing. Emma has gained a little weight, but needs every single ounce she can get. She was down to 35 pounds at one point and is still under 40 pounds, and she is 7 years old! She lost her hair, and apparently a couple of kids at school made fun of her when school began. They were going to have a social worker come to the 2nd grade to explain things to the children. Emma loves going to school so it's very important that she have this outlet to enjoy!

You can visit her Caring Bride website posted above to get more info on her cancer journey.

I know she would enjoy receiving as many cards as you compassionate SCS'ers can send!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thanks for the update on sweet Emma - have been keeping up on her CB site. So so sorry for the terrible incident at school - please give Emma our best and let her know that she has many people standing with her!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to pass this on to those interested...

EAT AT CHILI'S TOMORROW!!!

This Monday, Chiliís Grill & Barģ asks you to dine out for lunch or dinner (or both!) and support St. Jude Childrenís Research Hospital.

On September 28, as National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, participating Chiliís restaurants around the country will be donating 100 percent of the dayís profits to St. Jude. Itís called Donate Our Profits Day at Chiliís and it is part of Chiliís month-long Create-A-Pepper to Fight Childhood Cancer campaign.

So everyone eat at Chili's you can dine in or pick up, either way your helping. St.Jude is part of COG the Children's Oncology Group, so money made for St. Jude not only goes to them but the research they do is shared worldwide. Still waiting for a cure that will one day come =]

Thanks as always and please pass along the message about Chili's.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
Mad Swapper

I'm very sad to report that Emma has lost the sight in her right eye due to her brain tumor.

Please pray for Emma and her family. This child is such a joy to her family and friends and she is fighting such a hard battle.

Please send a card to help lift their spirits!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy'sFancy View Post
I'm very sad to report that Emma has lost the sight in her right eye due to her brain tumor.

Please pray for Emma and her family. This child is such a joy to her family and friends and she is fighting such a hard battle.

Please send a card to help lift their spirits!!!

Saw this on Emma's site and forwarded the information to the Cole's Foundation to place her on the home page for prayer.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #20
Die Cut Diva

I am so, so sorry. Please know that people really do care and have your family in our prayers.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I will be sending Emma a card today. I have also said a prayer for the family.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
THE Queen Nut Extraordinaire

Default My heart goes out to this family

And I will be making cards for those little sweethearts and mom soon. I can't find the right words right now, I am too moved by this not only story but it's really unfolding in someone's life. So I will make and send the cards and they will be on their way soon.

Take care Cathy and I send all of you love,

Peggy
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

AHHHH I found this only today, but to let you know I actually was there and my little guy colored a little pepper and we added a donation!! this was awesome and there were chilis all over the restaurant.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Thought to pass this on to those interested...

EAT AT CHILI'S TOMORROW!!!

This Monday, Chiliís Grill & Barģ asks you to dine out for lunch or dinner (or both!) and support St. Jude Childrenís Research Hospital.

On September 28, as National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, participating Chiliís restaurants around the country will be donating 100 percent of the dayís profits to St. Jude. Itís called Donate Our Profits Day at Chiliís and it is part of Chiliís month-long Create-A-Pepper to Fight Childhood Cancer campaign.

So everyone eat at Chili's you can dine in or pick up, either way your helping. St.Jude is part of COG the Children's Oncology Group, so money made for St. Jude not only goes to them but the research they do is shared worldwide. Still waiting for a cure that will one day come =]

Thanks as always and please pass along the message about Chili's.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Sending card too!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #25
Mad Swapper

Thank you so much ladies for your prayers and cards for the family. I know they will be happy to know others are praying for and encouraging them!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #26
THE Queen Nut Extraordinaire

Default So glad I could help in this small way

Emma's card

and mom's too:

Lori's card

it's the one on the right!

I am so glad I got those done quickly, will be sending them out first thing tuesday, as monday is a holiday here. Thanksgiving!

Thank you for looking, kindly, Peggy
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #27
Mad Swapper

I've been sick for a few days and just now looked at your cards, Marilyn, and the girls' cards are the cutest things! And Lori's is so pretty too! I really loved seeing them! Thanks so much to you and everyone for giving your cards, time, prayers, and encouragment for those you don't even know.

I give my time in another way (sewing and quilting) to needy children but occasionally I do get a CARD out to those in need of encouragement and a kind word. Wish I had more time!!! I want to do it all!!

Last edited by Cathy'sFancy; 10-14-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thinking of sweet Emma and wishing her a Happy Halloween!