Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Heart Mailings for Maddy - help needed!!!

To all my friends at SCS,

I would like to tell you about a wonderful little girl who needs your help. Madison is a seven year old girl who has Autism and Leukemia. She was also my student up until March of last year when her Leukemia returned and she required hospitalization. For almost eight months now, she has been in the Children's Hospital in London, Ontario. Madison is a very sick little girl, but despite this, she still finds a reason to smile and giggle! Madison's mom is a single parent and has made several sacrifices in her life to deal with both Madison's Autism and Leukemia. She is an incredibly strong person who has to deal with things that no parent should go through. Since Madison has been sick, she has not been working and has decided to sell her hobby farm and house so she can be with her daughter 24-7. Madison's Autism makes dealing with the Leukemia and all the treatments that go with it extremely difficult. She is a very smart girl, but has limited communication skills and cannot tell others where she's hurt, or how she's feeling. Without her mom by her side, Madison would be lost.

As you can imagine, this ordeal has taken its toll on Madison's mom both emotionally and financially. Madison is a very picky eater and the hospital does not provide the foods she likes. She will also only wear certain clothes and use certain products that the hospital does not provide. Madison was supposed to have a bone marrow transplant in July, but unfortunately she remains too sick to get a transplant. Her prognosis is not good and now her mom wants to make sure that she is happy in the time she has left. Madison's biggest wish is to go to Disney World and her mom would like to make this wish come true while she can still enjoy it.

In an effort to raise money, my colleague and I decided to start selling our Handmade cards. We had a table at our schoolwide fundraiser on Saturday and it was a huge success! We have been offered tables at two more vendor fairs on November 17, but we are seriously low on cards! We currently have about 20 orders and still need to prepare for the upcoming vendor fairs. We both work full- time, and so making all these cards will be a challenge! I know how kind and talented all of you ladies are and so I am asking for your help. I have never done this before and hopefully will never have to do this again, but I need your help!

If you are anything like me, then you wil have a stash of cards waiting for the perfect occasion. I am asking you to please consider sending me some of those cards for us to sell to raise money for Madison. We are in need of cards for any occasion and especially Christmas cards. We are selling them for $2.50 each or 5 for $10.00. If you could send 5 cards, Christmas tags, gift card holders, or anything else we could sell at the upcoming vendor fairs, I would greatly appreciate it. Please help make Madison's wish come true. Thank you and please keep Madison and her mom in your prayers. My address is: Nicole Leger, 87 Phyllis Ave. Chatham, ON N7M 3C3 Canada.

Thank you again,
Nicole (aka jn_leger)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by jn_leger; 10-22-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Travanna

Nicole,
I would love to send some cards. I am not sure if they will get there on time though. I live in Alabama and frequently send to Canada as I am Canadian, and it seems that lately even when sent by priority, things take 3-4 weeks to be delivered. Would you be doing more vendor sales that these cards could be used for if they arrive after November 17? Please let me know. I will get the package ready.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travanna View Post
Nicole,
I would love to send some cards. I am not sure if they will get there on time though. I live in Alabama and frequently send to Canada as I am Canadian, and it seems that lately even when sent by priority, things take 3-4 weeks to be delivered. Would you be doing more vendor sales that these cards could be used for if they arrive after November 17? Please let me know. I will get the package ready.
That's great Cheryl! Thank you so much. We will be selling cards until the first week of December, so any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

I have cards to send too, but not sure about the mail to Canada. I'll wait for you reply to me and Cheryl.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris makes cards View Post
I have cards to send too, but not sure about the mail to Canada. I'll wait for you reply to me and Cheryl.
Thanks Chris. When I send mail to the US, it usually takes about 2 weeks via air. If you send via surface, which is cheaper, it takes about 3. Sending cards to Canada shouldn't be too expensive via airmail. I usually send large envelopes for swaps, which are thicker and it costs me $2.48. I hope that helps. We will be selling until the first week of December, so any help you could provide would be very much appreciated
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

I have a trip to the Post OFfice tomorrow, so I'll pack up some cards and mail them by air to you. I only have all occasion cards - haven't started on Christmas ones yet. Good luck to you and Maddy. I'll say prayers for her return to good health.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Nicole

Oh good grief!!

I just mailed off a large (US Priority flat rate large) box of cards to our soldiers in Afghanistan yesterday! Not that they don't need or deserve these cards but I could have used them to send to you! I send cards to my troops all year long so a slight diversion in my cards is NOT a problem (besides, I think they would agree with my decision).

I will dash around the house today and see what I can pull together for you. I live in Oregon (USA) and so I hope a package of cards mailed this week will get to you before your Nov. 17th sale.

Sandra
Old 10-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I have a trip to the Post OFfice tomorrow, so I'll pack up some cards and mail them by air to you. I only have all occasion cards - haven't started on Christmas ones yet. Good luck to you and Maddy. I'll say prayers for her return to good health.
Thanks so much Chris! I really appreciate it!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard View Post
Nicole

Oh good grief!!

I just mailed off a large (US Priority flat rate large) box of cards to our soldiers in Afghanistan yesterday! Not that they don't need or deserve these cards but I could have used them to send to you! I send cards to my troops all year long so a slight diversion in my cards is NOT a problem (besides, I think they would agree with my decision).

I will dash around the house today and see what I can pull together for you. I live in Oregon (USA) and so I hope a package of cards mailed this week will get to you before your Nov. 17th sale.

Sandra
Thank you so much Sandra! Mail from the states usually takes 2 weeks to get to me, it should be fine. Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn_leger View Post
Thanks so much Chris! I really appreciate it!
I put the package in the mail today, but sent it regular mail since the airmail cost was $23! I put in 25 cards so it was more than a small envelope for swaps. the PO lady said it should get to the US border in 2 days and then the Canadian PO takes over. Hope it gets there before the sale!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

I'll go thur my stash and try to get some christmas cards made this weekend and get postal ASAP. I'm sure you'll continue to get orders so hopefully these will help fill the needs.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Stampin' Fool

I mailed a package today but sent it regular mail. The PO wanted $23 to send it airmail, because I put 25 carrds in. HOpe it gets there in time - PO clerk thought it would take 3 weeks.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Hardware Hotshot

what about 3 x 3 cards?

do you need envies too?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I mailed a package today but sent it regular mail. The PO wanted $23 to send it airmail, because I put 25 carrds in. HOpe it gets there in time - PO clerk thought it would take 3 weeks.
Holy cow! Thanks so much!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofindtime View Post
what about 3 x 3 cards?

do you need envies too?
3x3 cards would be great and if have envelopes, that would also be great! Thank you so much!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I'll go thur my stash and try to get some christmas cards made this weekend and get postal ASAP. I'm sure you'll continue to get orders so hopefully these will help fill the needs.
Awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
Die Cut Diva

Nicole

It's after midnight here. I'm reading through my threads on SCS, checking my email and trying to get myself tired enough to go to sleep. Anyway.......my brain suddenly did a jump start!! [Bad thing when I want/need to get some sleep.] I was just thinking of making little packages of 3 x 3 thank you note cards packaged together with a ribbon tie. Maybe 4 little 3x3 cards & envelopes per package?? How does that sound? Would you be interested?

Well, I think I'll go lie down and see if I can get some sleep. Gotta get up early tomorrow...oops, I mean later this morning!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #18
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Nicole

It's after midnight here. I'm reading through my threads on SCS, checking my email and trying to get myself tired enough to go to sleep. Anyway.......my brain suddenly did a jump start!! [Bad thing when I want/need to get some sleep.] I was just thinking of making little packages of 3 x 3 thank you note cards packaged together with a ribbon tie. Maybe 4 little 3x3 cards & envelopes per package?? How does that sound? Would you be interested?

Well, I think I'll go lie down and see if I can get some sleep. Gotta get up early tomorrow...oops, I mean later this morning!
That would be wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to think about this!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #19
Insane Embellisher

Nicole,

I know I have cards and card sets that I made for a craft show a year or two ago that didn't go very well. I'll get them in the mail today or tomorrow.
Priority mail works for Canada, doesn't it?

Thanks for all you are doing for Maddy and her family. You are a true blessing for them!

Proud Mom of Iraq War Vet, Please Support Our Troops!
I support Operation Write Home and the Danville, PA Ronald McDonald House
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfabian2 View Post
Nicole,

I know I have cards and card sets that I made for a craft show a year or two ago that didn't go very well. I'll get them in the mail today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all you are doing for Maddy and her family. You are a true blessing for them!
I believe priority works for Canada...thank you so much for helping out with this!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

I've got 10 christmas cards made up. Working on another set of 6. They are all the same image but different cards for each set.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I've got 10 christmas cards made up. Working on another set of 6. They are all the same image but different cards for each set.
Kristyn, that's awesome! Thank you so much!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
Mad Swapper

I posted this on here on a whim, hoping that someone would respond. You ladies have all been so wonderful to help out! It truly amazes me how kind people are! I am so grateful for your help. I just returned from a conference with a group of colleagues and collected 6 more orders for cards and we already had 20 orders which we haven't filled yet, plus the vendor fairs, so your help is truly needed! I spoke with Madison's mom earlier this week and updated her on what we were doing and she was speechless! Which is totally unlike her! She is so grateful to everyone who is helping her make Maddy's dream come true. So thank you from me and her! You are truly amazing!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

i'll try to make 3x3 thank you notes/envies and bind them in sets of 4 with ribbon

Will also try to make some xmas cards this weekend as well and they will be mailed out by thursday--I hope its in time
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfabian2 View Post
Nicole,

Tracy & everyone in the U.S.

I checked at our Post Office about our Priority Mail boxes, and yes, they do go to Canada. I specifically asked about the Flat Rate Priority boxes and the postal person said the rate was different for Canada but the boxes do go there. I did not ask at the time what the FLAT RATE was for Canada. I'm a little confused on that issue.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
Die Cut Diva

Nicole

I made some small Thank You cards. I thought they were 3x3 but turns out the base card & envelop is 4x4". I'm also making Christmas cards right now and my goal is to get them in the mail Monday or Tuesday.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

okay i've made 2 sets of 3x3 already---instead of putting ribbon around them--they are one plastic sleeve for protection. I have also gone through my stash and have gotten 2 sets of 6 all occasion. I will be making xmas cards--planning on 2 sets of 6 to be done and mailed by wednesday. I will update later.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #28
Die Cut Diva

Default US Flat Rate Mailing

OM Gosh!!!

I just went to the US Postal Service website to get a price check on the Flat Rate padded mailing envelope to Canada. I had a "sticker shock" when I saw the cost! I do mail internationally but it's been to our soldiers overseas so the postage is the same as in the US.

Canada is "just right over the border"! I had no clue.

However, the price doesn't matter because it's the REASON FOR THE SHIPMENT THAT IS THE IMPORTANT ISSUE.

Nicole - I will ship on Wednesday this week. I'm going to stuff that box (same price as the padded envelope) as much as possible with cards! The Post Office is not going to get the better of me!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryan6 View Post
i'll try to make 3x3 thank you notes/envies and bind them in sets of 4 with ribbon

Will also try to make some xmas cards this weekend as well and they will be mailed out by thursday--I hope its in time
That's awesome! Thanks so much!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
Mad Swapper

Quote:
okay i've made 2 sets of 3x3 already---instead of putting ribbon around them--they are one plastic sleeve for protection. I have also gone through my stash and have gotten 2 sets of 6 all occasion. I will be making xmas cards--planning on 2 sets of 6 to be done and mailed by wednesday. I will update later.
That's wonderful! Thanks you so much!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
Mad Swapper

Quote:
OM Gosh!!!

I just went to the US Postal Service website to get a price check on the Flat Rate padded mailing envelope to Canada. I had a "sticker shock" when I saw the cost! I do mail internationally but it's been to our soldiers overseas so the postage is the same as in the US.

Canada is "just right over the border"! I had no clue.

However, the price doesn't matter because it's the REASON FOR THE SHIPMENT THAT IS THE IMPORTANT ISSUE.

Nicole - I will ship on Wednesday this week. I'm going to stuff that box (same price as the padded envelope) as much as possible with cards! The Post Office is not going to get the better of me!
And I thought shipping in the States was so much cheaper! LOL! If I had known the cost, I probably wouldn't have asked. I don't know why it's so expensive to ship to Canada or within Canada! It's ridiculous! Anyway, I am so grateful to all of you! And I am sorry about the cost. But, with your help, I have been able to fill some orders already and know we will be well prepared for our vendor fairs. To date, we have raised $500 through the card sales!!! That's 250 cards we've already sold! So, your help is greatly appreciated!

I wish I could share some updates on Maddy, but I haven't heard anything from her mom in two weeks now . Makes me a little worried...but I will share news as soon as I have some. Thanks again and God bless all of you!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
Die Cut Diva

Nicole

I sent a padded Priority Flat Rate envelope out to you today. It has to go through New York before it gets to Canada. So with the weather it may take a couple of extra days but the Post Office said regularly it takes 6-10 days.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Nicole

I sent a padded Priority Flat Rate envelope out to you today. It has to go through New York before it gets to Canada. So with the weather it may take a couple of extra days but the Post Office said regularly it takes 6-10 days.
Thanks so much! I truly appreciate it! Have a great day!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
Pearl-ExPert

mine went priority mail today---with a guestimate of 6-10 working days
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Travanna

I sent a bunch of different occasion cards in the mail today. Hopefully they will arrive in time for your vendor events. Keeping Maddy on my prayer list! Thank you for the opportunity to help out.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
Mad Swapper

Quote:
mine went priority mail today---with a guestimate of 6-10 working days
Thank you so much!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travanna View Post
I sent a bunch of different occasion cards in the mail today. Hopefully they will arrive in time for your vendor events. Keeping Maddy on my prayer list! Thank you for the opportunity to help out.
Thank you! I really appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
Mad Swapper

I got a big envelope full of cards in the mail on Friday! They are lovely, but I am not sure who sent them. The note only said "from a fellow stamper"! But, the return label said the Smith Family...so whoever you are, thank you so much! You were very generous!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
Mad Swapper

I spoke to Maddy's mom today and things aren't going so well. Maddy is having a lot of pain and side effects from a new medication she started and is now on morphine as well. I've never heard of a child being on morphine and can only imagine that that's bad news. On top of that, her mom was fired from her job for being off for too long! Can you imagine? I can't believe her employer would do that her with everything she is going through and it being so close to Christmas! I don't think this can legal, and am waiting to hear back from my friend who is a lawyer. Maddy's mom should fight it, but I don't think she has the energy . She needs prayers now more than ever...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #40
Stampin' Fool

sending prayers for the entire family! Hope Maddy feels better soon - being on morphine helps the pain but not the symptoms!