Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Heart Ideas for husband's co-worker

One of my husband's co-workers recently lost ALL her personal belongings in a flooded-out storage unit. She had all her furniture, art work, bedding, books, etc. in a unit that was far enough away from her that she couldn't go over there every day to check out conditions. Her friends volunteered to pick up her belongings and bring them to her new apartment, but unfortunately, there had been at least one flooding incident (maybe 2), and EVERYTHING was ruined. Because the unit was moist and warm, all of her belongings were covered with black mold. The worst part was that she had stored all her scrapbooks there, ones with of her mother as a child, grandmother, great-grandmother, relatives going back many generations.

As you would expect, she is COMPLETELY devastated! She has contacted a restoration company, but they've told her they may only be able to restore a small percentage of her pictures but that it would cost an exorbitant amount of money to do so.

My heart just breaks for this woman because I know how she feels. My laptop died a few years back, and I lost ALL my little girl's pictures and videos. I felt physically sick that all those memories and that part of my life with her was gone forever.

All that to say, does anyone have suggestions for something that I might be able to do/make/put together that would help ease her pain? I am still in shock (for her), so I haven't come up with anything. Please reply if you've helped someone in this position, or if you yourself have been in this position and have been helped by someone in a particularly helpful or touching way.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Matboard Maniac

That is so so sad!! Although this misfortunate accident can not be undone - and she will probably lose all that was stored , I would suggest that she piece as much of it together as she can...A new leather journal may be a good start for recording the memories that she has lost in pictures.

I can't imagine the devastation she is feeling. So sorry.

Proud Fan Club Member

Dog Days of Summer VSN 2013 Hostess

MY BLOG

Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter! Dr. Seuss
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!