Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Inking Addict

Question How can I get over this?

This is with me my whole live:
Maybe I can do it much better tomorrow.
And if I use it today, I waste it...

So I drop it.
I am a kind of a hoarder (aren't we all?!? ) and I like to own my craftingstuff.
Sometimes to own something, is allready enough
But many, many things I'd like to use, but ...I can't. I would like to make a card, using materials that I don't have endless in my stock LOL and I just can't. I try, I start and then I drop it, because I don't feel that I'm good enough to use that material today. Maybe tomorrow I can do it better...

And I hate that!
I don't want to feel that way, it's been long enough.
Do you have any idea how I can stop this? How can I get over this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Forum Fanatic

I hear what you said and understand what you are feeling. Here is a link to a blog post that may help.

Sometimes we use the idea of needing to be perfect at something in order to avoid doing that thing. This may be based in a fear that what we do will never be good enough.

Read through the blog and see if it makes sense to you:

The Truth about Perfectionism and How to Overcome Procrastination ? Alli Worthington

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Ching, jeannemlehrman, PikkuLilla and 1 others like this post.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

It can be so hard to "break out" of our way of thinking - I totally understand. There is a quote or saying I have seen that is something along the lines of the only guaranteed way to fail is to never try. Perhaps when you find yourself thinking you might be better tomorrow, you could try to asking yourself how you will be better tomorrow if you don't practice today? And, if you do use it today that is the perfect excuse for buying more tomorrow so you can practice again!

I have found it much easier to use stuff if I am trying it with a friend as well. Getting together for a crafting day has really helped me be more adventurous.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
FSJ coach #813478
caterinafmig, PikkuLilla and wavejumper like this post.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #4
Inking Addict

Thanks you two - do we have a hug-smiley?

The blog post is great! Thank you so much!
It is very strange, I guess I know where it comes from and most of the time, I can wipe out probles like this when I'm talking about.

Joan thank you so much for your advice!
I think one of the reasons is: paper doesen't get bad
I lost so many felt-tip pens because I never used it. So they dryed out and that was it. So I started to draw - I have to throw it away enway one day, why shouldn't I use it?
I know it, but sometimes that doesen't help.

I craft with clay and polymer clay, too; I stored it for years it didn't get better, too and when I had to throw away a whole bunch of all these things I love, I woke up and since then I use it and have fun, playing arround with it.

I hope one day I can do this with paper.
Do you remember when Stampin' Up changed the inkpad-quality (in Europe)? I do have about 5 inkpads, all new. Still wrapped

I should go into my craftingroom and do something
buggainok likes this post.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Changing how we think always sounds so simple, doesn't it? Just do it, right? I sure wish it was as easy as it sounds! LOL!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
FSJ coach #813478
Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstampin View Post
Changing how we think always sounds so simple, doesn't it? Just do it, right? I sure wish it was as easy as it sounds! LOL!
This is true, but hard. Years ago I was seeing a counselor for problems we were having with our then teenage son.

He asked me what I planned to do. I started saying, "Well, I'm going to try to do this.... and try to do that..."

He stopped me and said, "There is a box of Kleenex sitting beside you on that table. "Try" to pick up a Kleenex." I was stumped, and I got the point. You can't really "try" to do something, you just have to decide and do it!

caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Inking Addict

...and I did!
Not as much as I wanted but we can say, it's because I crashed my Big Shot and the new one I orderet was allready crashed when it arrived. So I am (still) waiting for the new-new one my retailer gave me the only one he had left and now we both are waiting...

I used a few (yes! a few! Not just one!) brandnew inkpads from Stampin' Up I bought years ago and I'm surprised how ...juicy? they are. Wow.
I guess I like it.
buggainok and wavejumper like this post.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Forum Fanatic

Hooray for you! I'm thinking of you and hope you keep being creative and making things - and not just thinking about it.

debzi333 likes this post.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Inking Addict

Thank you so much!
It did help - I cut and used paper today I never thought I could
No bad feelings, but a few cards
Old 07-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Glitter Queen

Heart Well Done!

I say GOOD FOR YOU! Well done!
I also struggle with being creative.
You know how kids play in a sandbox? They become creative through that! That's how we adults can approach it also...by playing with our crafting, sewing, woodworking, etc., stuff! Sometimes, I just randomly grab an ink pad and a set of stamps and play, and it's amazing what I can come up with and learn!
Keep at it! Hurray!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I cant tell you how long it took my stamping teachers to get me to use cardstock when trying to learn to do something or designing a card...I always wanted to use cheap xerox paper. Think 3 years. "It's just paper!" Still rings in my ears to this day.

Now I dont have the problem anymore...and I never had it with DP...I do save scraps and use them to make strip cards or whatever. Enough that I am not sad when it's gone. There is always another really cute paper around the corner!

If I REEEEALLY love a DP-I will get an extra few sheets. Because come on, you get a lot of cards out of a 12 x12!

Now showing my work...that is something else (mentioned in that link) I will get there one day. Part of it is I am not tech oriented-I really struggle with that so I dont want to with something I already am not proud of.

I agree. I am much better about doing things or trying things when my stamp friends are here. I am not as scared I will mess it up and waste it. Try that.

Seeing the teachers do stuff in trial and error that didnt work...hey now! If that can happen to THEM...then I am ok! Besides if you are alone-no one even knows you messed up! LOL

The other thing I might say is this: Sometimes when we hold onto things that hard...we are using them to substitute for something else in our lives. Which really isnt probably working because a stamp pad, a sweater, whatever isnt the same.

You are a whole person. Right now. In this moment. In EVERY moment. Relationships, jobs, things...are all nice and ADD to a person but they dont MAKE a person. You are unique. There is not now, has never been, and will never be another you-as proven in finger prints. Accept that. Embrace that. Be happy. Then things will just be things and you wont be afraid to use them.