Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760
Default frustrated

i got an email yesterday thanking me for my xmas card, with the added note that i have too much time on my hands. ok, i blew it off. today my boss thanks me for the card and says "you have too much time on your hands." i mentally lost it, as really losing it would not be in keeping with the christmas spirit. i work at my job 25 hours a week, i work at one food pantry a month and run another one. i belong to two service groups, i clean the church, i take care of my 87 yr old mother, i exercise, my husband is from korea and in his culture woman do most of the "stuff", i even fix his dinner plate, i coordinate our sermon series, i sleep on average 4 hours a night. i want to scream that "I DO NOT HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!". i stamp to keep from killing people! does anyone get this response or reaction? i feel like i have to defend myself for spending time in my craft room in the middle of the night.

well, i'm off to hang lights on the stage at church, finish my xmas shopping, finish painting a 3 foot by 9 foot cut out of the word joy for the stage, shovel two driveways and then make dinner. could one of you pass me the bon bons while i flip thru the channels?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

This spoke to me.

I hear you. And what I've realized is that what people mean when they say this is "I wish I could do all those things you do." That has helped me keep from kicking them in the shins

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Mad Swapper

Oh my, how rude!
I just tell them it keeps me off the streets - Cheaper than drinking - Easier than a full time job - or other such comments.
I think jealousy and lack of understanding, how therapeutic a hobby can be, are behind comments like that.
We get it!!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/XcessStamps
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

my husband doesnt say it anymore because i pointed out if he cut his sleep in half and watched no tv, he'd have an extra 6 or 7 hours in the day. maybe its not that i have too much time, maybe the rest of the world is lazy!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Inking Addict

Ok, I let them know that what I do provides a little extra income on the side. I do invitations, Announcements, some special birthday cards. Then I tell them that I gave them an original thinking they would appreciate a handmade card that I made time to make just for them, on top of all the other things I do. I tell them that in order to make time to make them something from the "heart," I have to give up either sleep or a chore, but nonetheless, I had my heart on "them," and from now on I will make sure I buy one from the .50 store if I remember them at all next time. I also help my 82 year old mom and 86 year old Dad, while raising 3 grandchildren that I have custody of, going back to college for a real degree, not from a trade school, and keeping my house, husband and myself running.
Can you tell how much it irks me? I think next time, I will ask them how much time do they spend shopping or really thinking about the people they present. Or maybe how much thought do they put into making something for someone, cookies, baking or other craft they do? I bake I cook and I make cards, art, and crochet. My family loves that I make homemade gifts for them, that I put time and care into each item, and they look forward to what I present them with. my mom used to say idle hands do the devils work. So I ask do they just sit and watch tv or do they multitask? Sorry for the sound off.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Insane Embellisher

nanette, at first it hurts my feelings and then it irks me. but i never think fast enough for a come back. but i get home and talk me myself! some people were really raised by wolves!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Glitter Queen

Wow, what an insecure jerk you have for a boss. Perhaps you should make a mental note next year to "not have enough time" to make a card for the boss. I think what he/she really was thinking is "I wish I were as talented as she is". But when you are that insecure the only way they can make themselves feel good about themselves is to put down somebody else. Keep making your cards and ignore the stupid comments!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like they are a tad bit jealous! I made cards one year for my husband to handout at his office..... needless to say there was a ho hum response. The next year I told my husband to use store bought cards to handout at the office. Much to my surprise some were disappointed that they didn't receive a homemade card. I love making cards for other people and will keep on stampin and makin cards no matter someone else response is. So don't let the sour comments get ya down...... your not wasting time..... keep on makin and stampin cards for others to enjoy
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Kookie Creator

I agree that the implication that you have nothing else to do may be hurtful but I have to play devil's advocate. Is it possible you might be hearing it wrong? Maybe the recipient is acknowledging the amount of time it must have taken you to make the card and doesn't mean it to offend you. Maybe they are just being ironic because they KNOW you are a busy person and wonder how you found the time?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so sorry that you were on the receiving end of those comments made by those very insensitive and thoughtless people. It doesn't matter what they were thinking, if they're jealous and wish they had your talent or not, what they said still hurt your feelings and all because they are social misfits. I'm sure you're not the only person they've said rude things to; people like them just don't have a clue about what is and isn't appropriate.

And you sure don't need to explain your life to them! What you do or don't do, how you choose to spend your time, is nobody else's business. As it is, yours is a very full life, and I applaud you for all that you are accomplishing!!!

Like you, everyone here understands that a creative person *needs* to create in order to feel whole. Personally, I feel a sense of pity for a person who was born without a creative spirit or born without the ability to appreciate someone else's creative spirit. I can't help but feel they are drab and boring people and are missing out on one of life's greatest joys.

Those rude people, in my opinion, accomplished two things - hurting your feelings and proving that they aren't worth giving them your heartfelt creations ever again.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
Insane Embellisher

i think most people do not realize how much time they spend in front of the tv. these are the same people who dont have "time" to exercise. to be fair, i have lots of energy or maybe i dont, but i have lots to get done in a day. and i have double vision, so tv is no fun for me. that staring at a screen, its impossible for my vision to stay in a single line.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Gallery Gazer

I do not just sit and watch TV or play video games or go shopping. I actually do not do to much of anything.....so Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands LOL, so I fulfill that void with crafting and making cards. Don't let other peoples rude remarks get to you. Keep enjoying what you do.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Crimping Master

Haters Gonna Hate!! LOL We make time for what we want to make time for I believe and just because some people can't comitt to doing something that makes themselves happy (and other too) is their problem. The couple people that say that to me no longer get cards. Simple as that for me. LOL Hope you have a great year ahead!! Keep on Keepin' on!! XO
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Inking Addict

Oh my goodness. I once read on Splitcoast a long time ago, with respect to card making "It's this or therapy, and this is cheaper." I had a good chuckle over that comment. Really though, what is wrong with doing something you love and that you can bless other people with? My 102 year old Aunt loves my cards, and I love making her happy by giving them to her! My daughter's friend has Cystic Fibrosys and when she was in the hospital, you nice ladies sent her some cards and she was thrilled. Seems like life can be hard and the opportunity to bring another person some joy when they open that card- it's a privilege and I love to do it.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Insane Embellisher

people often give me grief about the things i do. if i wrap gifts, i try to do it beautifully. when i have a dinner party, the table is set lovely. i like to make my little corner of this world pretty if i can. i dont intend to make people feel awkward if thats not their deal. my daughter and son (he is just the best boyfriend, he never misses a detail) are the same way. every bit of this is wasted on my husband. i keep doing because i dont know how else to be.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Oh Lori, How lucky are the people in your life......I worked with a friend that sounds a lot like you and by example she taught me so, so much about time management and accomplishments. We met and worked together at PTA and then cleaned houses together and now...our children married and we share our two granddaughters. All the things you do, everything you create sounds so very positive....keep enriching the lives of others and let those comments go by the wayside. YOU WIN........Blessings, Jeanne
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Glitter Queen

Hey, even Jesus had haters! (heard that on the radio recently and I appreciated the perspective it added)

When people irk me for doing something I enjoy, I just smile and say a prayer for them. (And here in the South, I'd add "Bless your heart") They simply must not be blessed enough with a hobby they love. I love crafting and creating, as I simply call it "playing". It is something I do with my mom and several other family members and close friends. I hate you had to defend yourself for doing such a positive thing.

It's an interesting paradox, I play as an outlet for myself and end up creating something for someone else; what I do for me is actually for you.

NEW! My Blog: Stamp-NUT
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Matboard Maniac

I wish I had your discipline to do things...I like to make cards, scrapbook, garden, feed the kids and hubby, train for 1/2 marathons and this year a full is on the roster...chauffer the kids to sports...have dinners with friends...most days simply cleaning the house is a challenge but I do try to make time for myself and that is where my paper craft hobby comes in...several of my friends ask for advice on their projects...but are also the first to tell me I don't have enough to do...such is life...hang in there!!

Proud Fan Club Member

Dog Days of Summer VSN 2013 Hostess

MY BLOG

Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter! Dr. Seuss
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Insane Embellisher

roseanne! your training for a marathon? i think thats enough. i try ever so hard to be a runner. i run because it sounds cool to say you are a runner. but i do better with the elliptical or step aerobics. which i was recently informed was so five minutes ago. so i tried zumba. good lord. i tried for a month. got in my car and cried after every class. decided that if i could have moved like that my first marriage would still be intact and my second husband would definately be happier! i cannot squat and wiggle my hips and maintain bladder control all at the same time. paper crafts soothe me!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
roseanne! your training for a marathon? i think thats enough. i try ever so hard to be a runner. i run because it sounds cool to say you are a runner. but i do better with the elliptical or step aerobics. which i was recently informed was so five minutes ago. so i tried zumba. good lord. i tried for a month. got in my car and cried after every class. decided that if i could have moved like that my first marriage would still be intact and my second husband would definately be happier! i cannot squat and wiggle my hips and maintain bladder control all at the same time. paper crafts soothe me!
Oh, I didn't say I could maintain bladder control!! Hahahaha!!

I also wanted to add...do not hide your talent!! I have noticed that because of the comments I have received that I have stopped giving out my cards in fear that they will not appreciate the gift I have given - which for me is really time.

I have decided to start giving my gifts again - even if they do comment - or at least give them to people who understand and comprehend what they are worth!!

Proud Fan Club Member

Dog Days of Summer VSN 2013 Hostess

MY BLOG

Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter! Dr. Seuss