Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 07-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Question Anybody Else With Serious Medical Conditions

Maybe I am the only here, but I actually got into card making as my physical health declined. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar story. I used to be quite active- walking all over, playing tennis, etc. Unfortunately none of that is possible anymore. I am grateful to have found something I enjoy; I just wish the circumstances were different.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 07-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Mirabella, can truly relate to your situation. Was a very active person and now am very limited. Some days are better than others... I take everything one moment at a time and trust God's loving grace.
Unread 07-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

Heart

I really appreciate you responding. I admit I was feeling a bit vulnerable having posted that. I used to be very active, too. Having an especially hard time at the moment. Isn't the crafting a welcome distraction? That is my feeling, even when I am frustrated with my efforts .
caterinafmig likes this post.
Unread 07-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I really appreciate you responding. I admit I was feeling a bit vulnerable having posted that. I used to be very active, too. Having an especially hard time at the moment. Isn't the crafting a welcome distraction? That is my feeling, even when I am frustrated with my efforts .

Remember you are never alone in any of this... do not be too hard on yourself for your frustrating feelings. I try to remember that feelings change and with me they change often.
Unread 07-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

I believe that stamping is a blessing that I received just when I needed it the most
Unread 07-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Mad Swapper

Hi Mirabella, I got into stamping and paper crafting due to not be able
to do the things I used to do anymore.
Finding this hobby has really made me happy and I get lost in it for
hours.
I still get frustrated when I can't do something that I know I used to do.
But then I'm reminded of the things I CAN do.
Unread 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

Sorry to just be responding. For some reason I was not aware there were more responses. Thanks to each of you. I do feel alone, very much so. Making cards is usually the best part of any day. I offered to make a card for someone at my parent's church so that gives me a project for today.
Unread 08-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Proud Fan Club Member

As we age, we naturally can do less...it doesnt take an illness to sideline us. I have 2 herniated discs in my back that knocked out 99% of my activities...I drew the line at gardening though. I sit on my butt and inch along. Or I crawl. Or something I lay down to reach something. Takes 4x times longer but I get there. The doc and the PT are not thrilled. They'll get over it.

Now my hips ache and I have trouble walking, etc.

That saying that youth is wasted on the young..lol. I wish I was Benjamin Button!

And actually I am not that old..I'm only in my 50s. Another gardener abt the same age just told me her back is bad now. So her time in there is limited too. But I also know the elder gardeners are 86 and 96. I think they are doing so well because of it. You do move in all directions and so on. He has a new hip and she has a new knee. They dont do as much but they putter around and teach us which is very valuable.

What I love about stamping is it does not take a lot of strength to do. So I plan to do it till I am so old I cant even get out of bed.

You are not alone. A lot of people have issues of one kind or another. ((hugs))

Maybe what you could do is arrange to have stamp parties at your house. Have 3-6 women come over. Make little noshies to eat and sit and laugh and have a good time. That way you can socialize while you do it. I LOVE when my stamp friends come over! Even if I get nothing done we laugh and lot. Or maybe you could gather at the church?
buggainok likes this post.
Unread 08-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

Default ANXIETY DEPRESSION AND PTSD

Does anyone else here have mental health issues. I struggle everyday, just to get through. I take medication for depression, anxiety and PTSD.

My creativity comes in cycle as my depression does. Today I feel sad, lost , lonely and oh so so tired.

I am a widow. My husband died from a sudden heart attack in 2010. He was my rock, my support, my world. We had been married 20 years. After he died, I wanted to die as well. I got rid of all my crafting stuff after he died. I gave them to a charity.

Last year I started buying crafting supplies again with the intent of crafting again. So far, I have bought tons of stuff, and have my craft room almost completely organized. My goal is to get it organized within the next 2 weeks. It is so hard to stay motivated.

The depression and anxiety disorder have been with me since 1997. I am considered 100% disabled. I haven't worked in 11 years.

I get so lonely.

I would love to find someone here with the same challenges I have. I just need to be able to talk about it.
Angie1974 and wavesong like this post.
Unread 08-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

Another thing you can do is join "wish rak". Its where you
stamp images or share you supplies with someone wishing
for it, and in return you can wish for images and supplies too.
It's really a fun group of people.
Unread 08-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

Stamping and paper crafts for me is my way of getting lost and
sharing my feelings and emotions.
I can sit at my desk for hours playing with ink,stamps and paper and
never make a card or anything.
Craf-T-Bear and wavejumper like this post.
Unread 08-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Glitter Guru

I suffer from major depression and anxiety. I am also on disability, although I can occasionally work part-time. Diabetes has also recently been added to the illness mix.
Unread 08-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
Compulsive Stamper

I have both physical and emotional "stuff" and cannot work either. The isolation is very hard. I don't have rt friends to come over and craft with, unfortunately.
Craf-T-Bear likes this post.
Unread 08-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Compulsive Stamper

Keeli, I pm'ed you. But if anyone wants to talk more privately, feel free. I am very isolated due to my issues also.
Unread 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Glitter Guru

I'm glad to see the responses here. Despite having several friends, I often feel lonely too. I really don't talk about my depression because I don't want to upset people.
tinkerbell62 and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Unread 08-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #16
Cardstock Collector

Default Can I join you?

I have fibromyalgia. It includes severe physical pain, severe exhaustion, anxiety, depression and about 200 other symptoms. I am on disability. I've been in the blackest hole for a long time. I started a support group via facebook. Were are a small group. Some of us have met in person. We support each other through the pain, exhaustion and everything else. I changed my diet, which really helped. No dairy, white flour foods, no gluten and very limited sugar. I drink green smoothies every day.
I have begun volunteering 2 hours a week at a local food pantry, helping people write down the basic information to receive food.
I have a fibro friend who has seizures due to a congenital birth defect. The doctors always want to say she has pseudo seizures. Since she doesn't have a job and does not have insurance, her testing is very limited whenever she has to go into the hospital. I am going to work with her to get services she needs (yea, hospital case manager was a no show). She is alot worse off than I am. Helping her makes me feel better as it diverts my thought process away from the pain. I limit any activity-necessary for those with fibromyalgia. I like to create cards. I loved to scrapbook but haven't been into it lately. When I create cards, I love to create many cards via assembly line, then take a break and get more creative. I donate my cards to charity. I am so sorry everyone is going through their illness. It's very difficult to find the motivation to do anything. Hugs to all of you!
caterinafmig and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Unread 08-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #17
Compulsive Stamper

Heart

It is great you started your own FB support group. I have looked on Meetup but have not found anything I could attend. I cannot drive. I also have social anxiety, though am lonely.
I would love if even one of my major health situations could be resolved.
It is overwhelming when there are so many and no end in sight.
I have no friends at least locally. I feel like such a "case" that no one would want to be involved. Sigh.
Wishing you all a relatively peaceful, pain-free day.
Unread 08-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
Compulsive Stamper

Just thought I'd pop into this thread again. I am hoping people feel free to ask for and give support to one another.
Unread 09-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Glitter Guru

Just thought i would pop by and say hi. Battling the depression pretty heavily. Hope everyone is okay.
Unread 09-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1974 View Post
Just thought i would pop by and say hi. Battling the depression pretty heavily. Hope everyone is okay.
Depression is heavy, sweetie. Please know I understand. I find praying, reading the Biblical Psalms, thinking of things to be thankful for, as well as listening to some of my favorite music helps.

Sending much loving support.
Craf-T-Bear likes this post.
Unread 09-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
Glitter Guru

Thank you for your very kind response. I am hanging in there.
Unread 09-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Have a blessed day
Attached Thumbnails
relax-labor-day-coffee-550x320.jpg  
Unread 09-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #23
Glitter Queen

I too can relate. I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer in Oct and it isn't treated until the late stages so I'm a bit in shambles and still seeking medical advice. I have chronic migraines, arthritis and fibromyalgia along with several other horrible medical issues. In the ER this weekend I was told my kidneys and liver seem to be acting up. I made cards for years before I was disabled, but I "threw" myself into a creative phase and I credit it with helping to pull me through those first few years of not being able to work and feeling so alone. I don't have local friends and the few online buddies that I have don't like to think about negative things, so we don't discuss illness. It has come up in conversations recently and now I find myself without those friends to chat with regularly. (My grandmother would remind me they were not real friends anyway.) Motivation is so difficult at times, but I pray a lot and I collect supplies until the urge hits or it becomes a necessity to create something and I dive into it. I hope everyone can find that special something that helps them through their days!
shirlb19 and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #24
Glitter Guru

Tinkerbell-Hope you're doing better.

I am still battling, hour by hour, through the depression. Occasionally, there are brighter moments.
Unread 10-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #25
Glitter Queen

I understand exactly how you feel. I have chronic major depression and anxiety disorder. Plus a host of medical issues on top of it all. I started card making and stamping after my best friend recently it because I could no longer do my jewelry making or quilt making. I was a full time RN, very active with two teenage boys, and a husband who was in the navy. I just want to cry sometimes because I can barely leave the house by myself without someone (family) with me. I hope crafting helps you at least a little bit, as it sometimes helps me forget everything for awhile.
Unread 10-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #26
Glitter Guru

Welcome, wavesong!
wavesong likes this post.