Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to annieht
Default Thread Starter #5

Since I recently went through Hurricane Ike, I have a newfound respect for Mother Nature. So, have you ever had a scary weather moment?

Last edited by annieht; 09-16-2008 at 09:55 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Dirty Dozen Alumni

First of all, I'm so happy that you guys are safe. What a rough storm!

A few years ago, we had a pretty bad wind storm. Not a hurricane, but just a gusty day. I was sitting around the table having snacks with the daycare kids, and chatting, when a one very strong wind came along and flipped over our swingset. Literally up, and over. My kitchen has a sliding glass door so the kids saw the whole thing happened and were of course so freaked out!! And then we had to wait several weeks before we could get it flipped back up the right way and repaired.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

Back in 2004 when we had three hurricanes in a row (Charley, Fran, Jeanne) criss-cross Central Florida, I watched the ground around a tree in my back yard lift and fall as the wind blew through the leaves. I had visions of it landing on my roof. Fortunately, the only damage to my house was the loss of some shingles and gutters -- with a few leaks into the house to repair. We had no power for several days, but we survived. I moved to Florida 40 years ago (no regrets) and still marvel at Mother Nature's power.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Splitcoast Member Company

Yep Lois, I WELL remember 2004... Those storms were absolutely horrendous! What amazed me most was that long after the storms left, the sadness and loss still remained, you could feel it wherever you went, I don't know how to explain it, but you could just feel it. I am a native Floridian, and sometimes seriously think about heading somewhere without natural disasters!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

Oh Mother Nature!! I don't think I ever could have imagined how scary it could be until we moved to Kansas. We were here when the tornado tore through Greensburg Kansas, that same storm system hung around Saturday and Sunday threatening other tornados. The tornado sirens went off a few times but we were lucky to not have any more damage that weekend. Now with every rain storm my heart speeds up. I really want to move somewhere that I do not have to constantly worry about the weather!!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

Even though I constantly complain about how cold the winters can be here in Canada, I'll take that over the hurricanes any day! Whenever we get one of those weeks that are 40 below I always call my mum and ask why she moved us to this country! Although, I guess if I was still in England the rain would start to get to me after awhile.

I don't know how all of you do it in the areas that are getting hit with the hurricanes. I especially feel for all those people that seem to be getting hit every year or two. It seems like the are just getting back on their feet and something else comes through.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Embossing Fanatic

My scariest moments are when traveling on winter roads - snow and ice - especially when the kids are in the car. There are a lot of desolate places in North Dakota to get stuck in snow, and wait for help. Although, my heart just breaks to think of all those in hurricane areas and what they must face when diaster strikes.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My brother lives in Texas and had to evacuate. Luckily he just stained minor damage to his home.

Living in California, the scariest moments have to be earthquakes. We had a couple big ones growing up, and then one where I was on the 10th floor of a 12 story building where you could feel the building swaying!

Melody
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MFT Lady View Post
Yep Lois, I WELL remember 2004... Those storms were absolutely horrendous! What amazed me most was that long after the storms left, the sadness and loss still remained, you could feel it wherever you went, I don't know how to explain it, but you could just feel it. I am a native Floridian, and sometimes seriously think about heading somewhere without natural disasters!
Las Vegas is so not prone to disaster, some flooding every so often, but not wide spread. My closest brush came after my family first moved here and our car stalled on a flooded street. It wasn't all that deep, but the other cars were causing wakes. I am very grateful to not have to go through what some of you have experienced.

Move to Las Vegas, Kim!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Dirty Dozen Alumni

North Texas spring weather is CRAZY! I got caught in a hailstorm (golf ball size) after dropping Tony off at the airport. It was so scary! The sky was mean looking (if you are from NTX, you understand this!). Come to find out that there was a tornado about a mile behind me. YIKES!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Soooo glad everything is OK with you, Ana

We also experienced several earthquakes when we lived in CA; the last one we had was when our house was on the market - DS (at that time, age 4) was playing in the kids' playroom when the quake came, and never went back in that room again until we moved

My blog: Moved to the Mountains
Old 09-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Die Cut Diva

That's funny, Toni, not funny, but you KWIM. I don't think I would go back in that room either!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie1314 View Post
North Texas spring weather is CRAZY! I got caught in a hailstorm (golf ball size) after dropping Tony off at the airport. It was so scary! The sky was mean looking (if you are from NTX, you understand this!). Come to find out that there was a tornado about a mile behind me. YIKES!
Wow, that's a little too close for comfort. Did you have your sweet baby girl with you?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Scary weather moment...I'm in the Northeast, so they aren't all that often, but back in 1999, we had Hurricaine Floyd hit here...and I was going to be all big and brave and go to my fiancee's apt...then I found out he was stranded at work in NYC, and wouldn't be home...not wanting to be by myself in the nasty storm, I decided to drive home...what should have been an 8 minute drive turned into almost 45 minutes...wind, flooded roads, trees down...I must have been an IDIOT...but...I made it there, and they had no power Next time, I think I'll just stay put!

I hope you did ok through that nasty storm...just awful...
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Stamping is a Hoot!

Ya know you guys make me glad I don't live in the US LOL ...with all your hurricanes, tornadoes & snow etc LOL!

I guess I am pretty lucky where I love that the worst we have had is bad storms and flooding

about 20 years ago we did experience very bad flooding where so many parts of the city were flooded ... we watched the houses down the bottom of our street go under but fortunately ours was safe.

Other than that I think the only other thing I can think of is a cyclone (I our version of hurricanes) was supposed to hit our area but fortunately weakened and just became a rain depression.

So I am staying here hehe!

I Design for Riley and Company and Cornish Heritage Farms
Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey girls! I would have to say while it wasn't my scariest weather moment, my most memorable would have to be the Oklahoma ice storm in December 2007. Ironically, it was during our three days without electricity that I started stamping! A silver lining if you ask me. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John & Lesa's View from the kitchen window.jpg (64.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Limb hanging off the house.jpg (88.8 KB, 9 views)
January - July 2012 Inky Impressions Design Team * MFT Temp Design Team December 2010 * Guest Designer for I heart Papers and Paper Pretties * Taylored Expressions Top Crop
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Polyshrink Goddess

I should add that my daughter came up with a way for us to "see" while we were stamping. . .we hung a flashlight from our dining room chandelier! We would stamp until we lost our outside light (about 3:00 in the afternoon). . .it was so much fun!
January - July 2012 Inky Impressions Design Team * MFT Temp Design Team December 2010 * Guest Designer for I heart Papers and Paper Pretties * Taylored Expressions Top Crop
Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
Stamp'n In The Light

I think one of the scariest weather event I've ever dealt with was having a tornado form over my backyard. Now I live in central California and we're not supposed to get these stupid things, but sure enough I had one form over my backyard all right. I can still remember the nasty rain/hail storm first, then the quiet afterwards (no birds even), and then this funky looking cloud showing up; black going clockwise, white colors counter-clockwise. I was home from jr high school playing hooky and my mom had just gotten off working night shift and was asleep. I woke her up fast to show her that funky cloud and she was on the phone with the news media asking why we didn't have a tornado alert posted. The guy at the news station tried telling her that California didn't get these things so we didn't need alerts and she just flat told him to "shut up she was from Kentucky and there was a tornado forming over her backyard heading for the airport". Needless to say, an alert got posted 5min later and about 20min after that the airport had $2million damage done to the roof and building as the silly thing hopscotched through the city before going back up into the clouds again. That was about 35yrs ago and it still scares me thinking about it. When we get a bad thunderstorm that gets really quiet, I start looking for those same type of clouds again.

My Blog - Stamping In The Light
Sr. Design Team Member Mark's Finest Papers,
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to flaxychick

My scariest weather moment was when I was bringing my newborn daughter, Sierra, home from the hospital. She was born on March 11, '93 and we were sent home on March 13 - which was when the Blizzard of '93 was hitting Syracuse. We made it to our house just fine and settled in for what we knew would be several days at home without leaving the house... until my dh's boss called and said get ready to leave for Boston in the morning for emergency work there. So we packed up the newborn and drove to my parents house which was normally 20 minutes took us 2 hours. The plows were just being taken off the road for the night so we had to break through snowbanks in my dh's 4 wheel drive truck. I kept think we would get stuck in the truck with the baby.

Needless to say he never made it to Boston the next day. It took 2 days for him to be able to make it back to our house to rescue our dog! The snow around our house was over the windows on the first story. I think for those 2 days we received over 42 inches of snow.l
Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #20
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to flaxychick

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcapitolgirl View Post
Hey girls! I would have to say while it wasn't my scariest weather moment, my most memorable would have to be the Oklahoma ice storm in December 2007. Ironically, it was during our three days without electricity that I started stamping! A silver lining if you ask me. . .
Ice storms are so nasty! Good think you discovered stamping through it all though.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

we've had several run-ins with bad weather! the worst was about 4 years ago when we were going up to Edmond, OK for a soccer tournament for my daughter. It was storming terribly, we could not see in front of us and we were in unfamiliar territory! we turned on some weather broadcasts on the radio, i drove and eric navigated and was helping to pinpoint where a tornado was headed. we debated about pulling over into this deserted gas station, but didn't and kept going. turns out we were ahead of a major tornado by about 10 minutes, but we couldn't see it because it was pitch black at night. after the weekend stay and tourney in Edmond, on the way home, we saw the devastation and the gas station where we were going to take shelter was flattened. SCARY!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

I know what you mean, Laura! DH and I often joke that it's a good job we were selling anyway...

My blog: Moved to the Mountains
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
Insane Embellisher

I was in Florida during the batch of storms in 2004, I lived in Port Charlotte which had the eye of Charley go over. We didnt evacuate because the weather predicted the storm to hit two hours north of us, by the time they saw the change it was too late.
At the time I was six months pregnant, my husband, stepdaughter and a 115 pound rottie were all curled up in the hall as we couldnt all fit in the small bathroom.
The sound of the wind, the silence in the eye, hearing things being ripped off and tossed around, it was horrible. We didnt have much damage compared to those around us. a house a block away had a mini twister go through, turned the garage inside the house. One at the end of the street had the entire roof ripped off. We had no power for 19 days, no phone for close to two weeks, thank goodness we all made it through safely.

That was one of the worst ones...
Danielle
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov'n Life n Vegas View Post
Wow, that's a little too close for comfort. Did you have your sweet baby girl with you?
YES!!! She wasn't even one at the time!! SCARY!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to annieht

The winner of this week's Thread Starter is Danielle1024!
Thanks to all who played along!! Your weather stories sound pretty SCARY!
Join me next week for some new chatty fun
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
Insane Embellisher

OOOhhh I'm so excited, its going to ge a gooooood day!

Take care all and I look forward to next week's topic!

Danielle
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #27
Insane Embellisher

Living in Texas our weather is so weird..and the scariest moment for me was driving in the freak ice/snow storm for Easter last year. Growing up, in the North we had tons of snow cover the doors and windows in Illinois and Wisconsin, shich was scary as a child. And the golf ball sized hail pounding our windows is bad too. I know so many people affected by Ike, but in small ways. Stay safe..