Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Is there no more value shipping to Canada?

Is "Best Way" $19 shipping the only option for shipping to Canada now even when you order just stamps and dies? It's been a little while since I've ordered and I didn't realize the rates went up so high.

Is there an option of having it shipped to a U.S. address when I check out?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, you can add a new address during checkout and have an order shipped to the US.

We have discontinued USPS first class shipping for Canada and for International orders.

Shipping first class with the USPS was costing us so much in terms of lost product that we simply could not continue. We were having shipping times of 2-6 weeks, which left our customers extremely frustrated. And without any kind of tracking or recourse, there was absolutely nothing we could do.

We are now shipping FedEx whenever possible so that you'll get your products in a timely fashion. Most orders should be received in as little as 7 business days, and sometimes even more quickly.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Crimping Master

Thanks Kim.

Bummer. I didn't mind waiting and in all the years I've been ordering, never had a problem with lost packages.

In my experience, Fedex charges brokerage fees and duty on all packages shipped to Canada (usually around $15 or so). That will make $30 per package in shipping....I'm definitely going to have to consider getting a U.S. shipping address. Thankfully I live 40 minutes from the border
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Thanks Kim.

Bummer. I didn't mind waiting and in all the years I've been ordering, never had a problem with lost packages.

In my experience, Fedex charges brokerage fees and duty on all packages shipped to Canada (usually around $15 or so). That will make $30 per package in shipping....I'm definitely going to have to consider getting a U.S. shipping address. Thankfully I live 40 minutes from the border
I am SO glad you never had an issue, but boy we did. The percentage was simply too high for us to continue the practice, and it also made for upset customers when orders weren't received after more than a month.

I really can't speak on the duties and brokerage fees, but I do know that even USPS pacakges have started being dinged with fees as well as more of those packages have been audited.

We love all of our customers, and value every order, but we can't absorb losses on out of the US orders indefinitely.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Yikes - I'm sad to read this too! I can understand totally where you're coming from - you've got to be realistic. I used to work in import and distribution and I know all about shipping costs and stuff going missing! But I loved that cheaper international shipping for stamps and dies - and stuff always got here super-fast for me.
SCS Photo Challenge #203 ~ Trees
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ Use BOTH heat and dry embossing
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time -TLC504: Hang Out (Out-of-the-Box)
It's October. That means it must be time for HOPE YOU CAN CLING TO all month long! Come along and join in the fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not order from you, but from many others. Waiting 3 weeks was the norm,never lost anything. Shipping costs to us here is crazy, UPS has to be one of the most expensive, well all those type are very expensive to use. I guess I will have to hope that the LLS will continue to stock MFT items
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Hi Ladies!

It makes us sad, too, but it had to happen. When orders don't arrive, customers get frustrated, and as we were charging less than we were paying to ship these orders, we were in a lose-lose situation.

We do not dictate the shipping cost, nor do we have any control over it. It is what it is. The prices we have listed on the site are for FedEx, which is how we will ship whenever possible (there are a couple of weird zones where a FedEx envelope is $45, so to those areas we will have to ship USPS).

Ultimately we want the best for our customers, and lost orders or orders that arrive after 6 weeks are not acceptable.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to texasjodylynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MFT Lady View Post
Hi Ladies!

It makes us sad, too, but it had to happen. When orders don't arrive, customers get frustrated, and as we were charging less than we were paying to ship these orders, we were in a lose-lose situation.

We do not dictate the shipping cost, nor do we have any control over it. It is what it is. The prices we have listed on the site are for FedEx, which is how we will ship whenever possible (there are a couple of weird zones where a FedEx envelope is $45, so to those areas we will have to ship USPS).

Ultimately we want the best for our customers, and lost orders or orders that arrive after 6 weeks are not acceptable.
I also wanted to add that when shipping your order, the office staff looks for the best possible way to ship your order through FedEx. In many cases, stamp/die orders will be received in a few days for the $19 shipping. That is AWESOME (says the girl who loves instant gratification LOL). Even in those weird zones, that shipping cost will likely cover a 2 week shipping time, where previously it took 6 weeks or longer. Our design team members have been THOROUGHLY enjoying the new shipping option.

We really do have your best interest at heart, and have made this decision based on many, many issues we have had with USPS shipping.

We hope you'll give it a chance and understand that the new cost will mean MUCH faster, and more reliable shipping.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone in Calgary know where to buy MFT?

I have ordered tons from them online, but with the new shipping costs (and possibly brokerage/customs *cringe*) I just can't justify it.

I love MFT product and still want to buy, so if anyone knows of a place in Calgary, please share!

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnergirlchase View Post
Does anyone in Calgary know where to buy MFT?

I have ordered tons from them online, but with the new shipping costs (and possibly brokerage/customs *cringe*) I just can't justify it.

I love MFT product and still want to buy, so if anyone knows of a place in Calgary, please share!

Thanks
I believe Scrapbookers Paradise sell some MFT products - I have purchased stamps and dies there before
They have a North and a South store
They also have an online store
Scrapbooker's Paradise
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for the reply, last time I was at their north store (not often as I live in Airdrie) they were in their clearance section, so I'm not sure if they still do but I'll give them a call.

Do you happen to know of any other stores here that might carry them?

I appreciate the help, thanks and have a great weekend.
Tracey
Calgary
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Simon Says Stamp has the MFT range .. I find their postage great to Australia .. perhaps they could be used for Canada as well?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Well as much as the cost hurt, the shipping with Fedex was awesome! My order left Florida on Friday and arrived at my office in Calgary today - and I didn't get charged any duty (maybe I got lucky?)

I think for me, I'll order a little less frequently, but spend the $150 so at least the Cherry on Top special pays for most of my shipping

I am SO happy that I won't have to give up my MFT addiction! LOL

P.S. I'm still waiting for my Dec.26 order to arrive the old way via USPS, so you do get what you pay for ladies
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Well as much as the cost hurt, the shipping with Fedex was awesome! My order left Florida on Friday and arrived at my office in Calgary today - and I didn't get charged any duty (maybe I got lucky?)

I think for me, I'll order a little less frequently, but spend the $150 so at least the Cherry on Top special pays for most of my shipping

I am SO happy that I won't have to give up my MFT addiction! LOL

P.S. I'm still waiting for my Dec.26 order to arrive the old way via USPS, so you do get what you pay for ladies
The incredibly fast shipping you get with FedEx really does take the edge off the cost of shipping. Not only do my packages arrive a lot faster, they are also in much better condition. Which is incredibly important to me when ordering things like card stock. Bent card stock edges make this girl crazy!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

Julie did you get charged with duty?
I've heard a nice customs bill could come later...i'm hoping not! LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Julie did you get charged with duty?
I've heard a nice customs bill could come later...i'm hoping not! LOL
It's hit and miss. MFT has been sending my Replenishments orders through FedEx for about 6 months. I get charged duty about 40%-50% of the time. I usually assume that I will get charged it, then it's a happy bonus when I don't!

If you know someone in your area that also orders MFT you could always get together with them. You could split the cost of shipping and duty.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinjewelsd View Post
It's hit and miss. MFT has been sending my Replenishments orders through FedEx for about 6 months. I get charged duty about 40%-50% of the time. I usually assume that I will get charged it, then it's a happy bonus when I don't!

If you know someone in your area that also orders MFT you could always get together with them. You could split the cost of shipping and duty.

Thanks for the info, I did split this order with a friend
I will keep my fingers crossed! LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Insane Embellisher

I'm in Alberta as well ladies. I have actually never been charged duty on my MFT packages, but I only have ordered stamps and dies before I was on the MFT DT, so maybe replenishment packages containing larger, heavier card stock are more of a 'red flag'? I don't think you can get a customs bill later (but don't quote me)...whenever I have been dinged with other companies, the PO holds your package til you pay. The shipping is crazy fast with FedEx, as the other girls mentioned: from Florida to central AB is a week, tops! I can totally see where you'd be frustrated, as I order a lot online now (since Scrapbookers Paradise in Red Deer closed down- which did carry MFT) and shipping can be very costly to Canada. I would say to do what Gunnergirlchase suggested, and order less frequently with larger orders to qualify for the cherry on top! which would be discount enough to pretty much cover that FedEx charge Or splitting with a friend! Watch: Now I'll be pulled for customs every time, just for pointing out that I never have been!! lol
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

Oh that is great to hear! I am hoping a bill doesn't show up then, someone told me that might happen - I only ever order dies and stamps - and duty every so often wouldn't be horrible

Jenny your blog and your work is AMAZING!

Tracey (gunnergirlchase)
Airdrie, AB
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Oh that is great to hear! I am hoping a bill doesn't show up then, someone told me that might happen - I only ever order dies and stamps - and duty every so often wouldn't be horrible

Jenny your blog and your work is AMAZING!

Tracey (gunnergirlchase)
Airdrie, AB
Thanks so much!! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Insane Embellisher

You won't pay duty on any orders from MFT, as long as whatever you order is manufactured in the US, Canada or Mexica (you can thank NAFTA for that). What you might get a bill for is taxes....and then a fee for them collecting the taxes. Generally speaking, anything under $65 likely won't get dinged, but there are exceptions to every rule. This is the rule for all packages coming into the country no matter how they are shipped. The Canada Post fee for collecting these taxes is $10 I believe.

I'm lucky, and live 40 minutes from the border, and there is a store just on the other side that does big business as a delivery address and holding store for Canadians. I order from every release (in this past year anyway) and I have never, ever paid duty...and I've had orders in the $300 range, and sometimes I co-ordinate so that I'm not only picking up MFT, but also other stuff. The only thing I've ever had to pay was HST.

I can tell you that I was one of those unlucky people whose order was lost in USPS land. It's horrible! And shipping to me (I'm in Northern Ontario) was always 3- 5 weeks, which is why I changed to shipping in the US. It's a nice drive, and even though I likely don't save any money, if you figure in my gas costs, I order on Tuesday night and it generally arrives the following Monday. Can't beat that super quick shipping!

My Blog: Danderella
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaffer1976 View Post
You won't pay duty on any orders from MFT, as long as whatever you order is manufactured in the US, Canada or Mexica (you can thank NAFTA for that). What you might get a bill for is taxes....and then a fee for them collecting the taxes. Generally speaking, anything under $65 likely won't get dinged, but there are exceptions to every rule. This is the rule for all packages coming into the country no matter how they are shipped. The Canada Post fee for collecting these taxes is $10 I believe.

I'm lucky, and live 40 minutes from the border, and there is a store just on the other side that does big business as a delivery address and holding store for Canadians. I order from every release (in this past year anyway) and I have never, ever paid duty...and I've had orders in the $300 range, and sometimes I co-ordinate so that I'm not only picking up MFT, but also other stuff. The only thing I've ever had to pay was HST.

I can tell you that I was one of those unlucky people whose order was lost in USPS land. It's horrible! And shipping to me (I'm in Northern Ontario) was always 3- 5 weeks, which is why I changed to shipping in the US. It's a nice drive, and even though I likely don't save any money, if you figure in my gas costs, I order on Tuesday night and it generally arrives the following Monday. Can't beat that super quick shipping!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to remember that for next time and order to my home addy.
I had mine sent to my attention at work, and I got my package super quick, but was hit with a $45 customs clearing fee - yikes!
I might look at having my packages sent to our Denver office and when our head honchos go there on weekly business, they can bring them back for me
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
Full of Malarky

I am very sorry to no longer be able to purchase Canada from MFT. It's just too expensive. In the past, I had ordered from MFT and payed a reasonable amount for shipping. This past order, I paid $19.00 just for shipping for 3 polymer stamp sets by Fedex. That was bad enough, but today I got a bill from Fedex for another 14.44 - and only 4.44 of that was Cdn taxes - the rest was another $10. fee from Fedex for a " $10.00 advancement fee. So, I paid 29.00 to Fedex for shipping for three sets of MFT polymer stamps that equaled 27.00 USD in value.

I just want to warn other Canadians of the enormous fee with using Fedex. I ordered regularly from Frantic Stamper , The Cat's Pajamas, Taylored Expressions and many other US stamp companies and they all have reasonable rates for shipping to Canada.

I am sorry that MFT has chosen this direction, I do love your products.

I should add that there is no duty to be paid on stamps etc - just taxes -but the Fedex fees are enormous. I should also add that I receive probably 3 - 4 shipments for various stamp companies in the US every month - and I have I pay taxes maybe on 1 / 100 of those packages.
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #24
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
I am very sorry to no longer be able to purchase Canada from MFT. It's just too expensive. In the past, I had ordered from MFT and payed a reasonable amount for shipping. This past order, I paid $19.00 just for shipping for 3 polymer stamp sets by Fedex. That was bad enough, but today I got a bill from Fedex for another 14.44 - and only 4.44 of that was Cdn taxes - the rest was another $10. fee from Fedex for a " $10.00 advancement fee. So, I paid 29.00 to Fedex for shipping for three sets of MFT polymer stamps that equaled 27.00 USD in value.

I just want to warn other Canadians of the enormous fee with using Fedex. I ordered regularly from Frantic Stamper , The Cat's Pajamas, Taylored Expressions and many other US stamp companies and they all have reasonable rates for shipping to Canada.

I am sorry that MFT has chosen this direction, I do love your products.

I should add that there is no duty to be paid on stamps etc - just taxes -but the Fedex fees are enormous. I should also add that I receive probably 3 - 4 shipments for various stamp companies in the US every month - and I have I pay taxes maybe on 1 / 100 of those packages.
Ya, I hear you this was really hard to take. I paid $44 to Fedex a week after my last package was delivered, that was over and above the shipping I paid MFT. It makes it impossible to order anymore, and man I do love their stuff

I can only hope that MFT will consider USPS with the Insurance option to Canada, like FranticStamper does. Takes a little bit longer, but the insurance covers everyone in the event the package is lost.

Should point out that FranticStamper and Verve have also recently increased their shipping prices to Canada, although they are still much more reasonable than MFT.

I'm hoping Papertrey doesn't increase their's next, although if you spend $100 they do credit your order $10 towards shipping which is nice
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

Scrapin Great Deals and One Crazy Stamper(canadian online stores) have a lot of MFT dies, some stamps too! Maybe you can try them - they are both in Ontario.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #26
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Ya, I hear you this was really hard to take. I paid $44 to Fedex a week after my last package was delivered, that was over and above the shipping I paid MFT. It makes it impossible to order anymore, and man I do love their stuff

I can only hope that MFT will consider USPS with the Insurance option to Canada, like FranticStamper does. Takes a little bit longer, but the insurance covers everyone in the event the package is lost.

Should point out that FranticStamper and Verve have also recently increased their shipping prices to Canada, although they are still much more reasonable than MFT.

I'm hoping Papertrey doesn't increase their's next, although if you spend $100 they do credit your order $10 towards shipping which is nice
I have two orders on the way from Frantic Stamper, so yes, I'm aware that there shipping prices have gone up with USPS - however , they are still more than reasonable.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #27
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicaz View Post
Scrapin Great Deals and One Crazy Stamper(canadian online stores) have a lot of MFT dies, some stamps too! Maybe you can try them - they are both in Ontario.
I'll have a look - it's mainly the stamps I'm after.

But thanks so much for the information.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I have two orders on the way from Frantic Stamper, so yes, I'm aware that there shipping prices have gone up with USPS - however , they are still more than reasonable.
I'm happy to hear that then! I ordered from them right before they increased so it's good to hear it's still doable. That Fran is so nice!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #29

Quote:

I definitely understand it is more costly and orders do sometimes get charged customs or brokerage fees, but we will not be going back to USPS. Even if you purchase insurance, which we've tried many times, not once have we ever been reimbursed for a claim.

Unfortunately there are not any cheap options to ship to Canada or overseas. And USPS flat rate envelopes are more expensive than our charge for FedEx.

It appears as if these additional fees will start being applied to USPS orders as well, so based on all of the data, USPS is not a viable option for us. It is too important to us to have our customers receive every order, every time.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I know USPS fees to Canada went up really badly...I heard that they plan to include tracking in that amount since there was a lot of lost mail...
here is a thought: I order my quilting fabric from US and they already charge me HST so then there are no delays in customs and no extra processing fees. Works great and no frustration. Maybe MFT could look into that option....

Quote:
Unfortunately there are not any cheap options to ship to Canada or overseas. And USPS flat rate envelopes are more expensive than our charge for FedEx.

It appears as if these additional fees will start being applied to USPS orders as well, so based on all of the data, USPS is not a viable option for us. It is too important to us to have our customers receive every order, every time.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Full of Malarky

Quote:
I definitely understand it is more costly and orders do sometimes get charged customs or brokerage fees, but we will not be going back to USPS. Even if you purchase insurance, which we've tried many times, not once have we ever been reimbursed for a claim.

I am curious about that. I have not heard any such thing, and I subscribe to monthly to Taylored Expressions , and I just received am order from Frantic Stamper earlier today, for which I paid the flat rate of 12.00 for USPS shipping and received 12 X12 papers, a stamp , a few copics etc and no HST charge.

But I guess MFT will have to what it feels it has to do.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicaz View Post
I know USPS fees to Canada went up really badly...I heard that they plan to include tracking in that amount since there was a lot of lost mail...
here is a thought: I order my quilting fabric from US and they already charge me HST so then there are no delays in customs and no extra processing fees. Works great and no frustration. Maybe MFT could look into that option....
I have done a bit of research into this and found that the Harmonized Sales Tax differs for each province in Canada. To enable something like this we would have to reprogram our site to calculate the HST based on each province ordered from, and then calculate and pay that tax to each province.

From a labor perspective, it does not make sense for us as it does not save the end user any money. And since we would have to build that increased labor cost into the shipping fee, the customer would end up paying more money. I just don't see that as a win-win option for either our customers or for us.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #33

Quote:
I am curious about that. I have not heard any such thing, and I subscribe to monthly to Taylored Expressions , and I just received am order from Frantic Stamper earlier today, for which I paid the flat rate of 12.00 for USPS shipping and received 12 X12 papers, a stamp , a few copics etc and no HST charge.

But I guess MFT will have to what it feels it has to do.
Hi Deborah,

During the last quarter of 2012, while we were still shipping USPS in our private labeled boxes, customers on a random basis were being charged taxes and duties. I would assume it could also mean the HST, but I am not familiar enough with the terminology to say that with certainty.

Orders shipped in padded envelopes were not caught as often, but it did occur.

With the recent changes with USPS shipping and the removal of first class international, my thinking is that more packages will start being taxed as they now *appear* and are labeled as packages.

I certainly can't predict the future or how that will impact USPS shipping, but we did see that happen within our customer base, and it makes sense to me that both the USPS and each country being shipped to are interested in capturing revenue on imported items that have up until now been shipped under the guise of personal mail.

I hope that clarifies.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #34
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I have done a bit of research into this and found that the Harmonized Sales Tax differs for each province in Canada. To enable something like this we would have to reprogram our site to calculate the HST based on each province ordered from, and then calculate and pay that tax to each province.

From a labor perspective, it does not make sense for us as it does not save the end user any money. And since we would have to build that increased labor cost into the shipping fee, the customer would end up paying more money. I just don't see that as a win-win option for either our customers or for us.
I agree that this would be way too much work for MFT, and as an end user in Alberta, where we don't have Sales Tax (just GST) - I don't want to see MFT incorporate HST in there rates!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #35
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Hi Deborah,

During the last quarter of 2012, while we were still shipping USPS in our private labeled boxes, customers on a random basis were being charged taxes and duties. I would assume it could also mean the HST, but I am not familiar enough with the terminology to say that with certainty.

Orders shipped in padded envelopes were not caught as often, but it did occur.

With the recent changes with USPS shipping and the removal of first class international, my thinking is that more packages will start being taxed as they now *appear* and are labeled as packages.

I certainly can't predict the future or how that will impact USPS shipping, but we did see that happen within our customer base, and it makes sense to me that both the USPS and each country being shipped to are interested in capturing revenue on imported items that have up until now been shipped under the guise of personal mail.

I hope that clarifies.
I've received more packages from the US and do so on a continual basis. No, Canada does not have more interest in capturing taxes then they ever have. They'd have to hire more people at the post office and border services and I think they are doing the exact opposite. As someone else mentioned, there is NO duty. Just 1/50 or 1/100 packages gets caught for tax collection . Just got shipment of a polymer stamp set in about 5 days from the US, not sent under the guise of personal mail, cost me about $3.00 for it to be shipped. Taylored Expressions, Frantic Stamper, etc etc do not ship under the guise of personal mail. I don't know any stamping company that does do that.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
Full of Malarky

Just to be fair, I do understand the anxiety one must feel shipping without tracking information. I would be the same, if I ran a business via the post.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
Glitter Guru

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize MFT had made this change! I'm glad I put my first order in just before it went up. I like to spend my money on the "stuff" and not worry how long it takes to get to me. This disappoints me and unfortunately it will affect my purchasing decisions. But, I also understand MFT's position.

Very unfortunate!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
Proud Fan Club Member

Just to clarify the Canadian tax regulations.
Any gift sent to Canada with maximum value of CAD 65.00 is exempt from any duty or tax.

Any purchases with a value of CAD 20.00 or more are subject to duty, Povincial tax and Federal tax as applicable.

Any items manufacturered in the US should be duty free. Items that where imported into the US and are then shipped to Canada are subject to duty based on country of manufacture. If it is not clear where the item is manufacturered based on the paperwork/invoice included with the package Canada Customs will assess as they see fit.

Tax depends on the province of destination, ie BC has a combined Provincial and Federal tax (HST) of 13%, Ontario's combined tax is 12%, AB does not have a Provincial tax so only GST of 5% applies etc.

Any company processing the clearance and outlaying these taxes/duty will charge a fee for that service.
Canada Post and Purolator (same company) charge CAD 7.50 + GST for this service. This is the lowest price. The post always charges at time of delivery. If they didn't charge at that time it slipped through without being processed.
Fedex, UPS, DHL etc will charge anywhere from CAD 10.00 to CAD 65.00 for the clearance service. It is very hard for these shipments to not be processed as couriers have to report every LVS (Low value shipment) to the government at the end of every month.
Courier companies are known for not collecting at time of delivery and more often than not will send an invoice afterwards.