Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   My Favorite Things (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/my-favorite-things-f164/)
-   -   Metal Adapter Plate? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/my-favorite-things-f164/metal-adapter-plate-t516401.html)

online22much 01-04-2011 05:58 PM

Metal Adapter Plate?

Does anyone have this Metal Adapter Plate and like it better than chipboard shims? I have the Big Shot Express and Cuttlebug. Thank you. Well, it's almost time to shop!!

texasjodylynn 01-05-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by online22much (Post 17767206)
Does anyone have this Metal Adapter Plate and like it better than chipboard shims? I have the Big Shot Express and Cuttlebug. Thank you. Well, it's almost time to shop!!

Hi there! I don't have it, but Kim said it's a VERY good tool for those who have the Cuttlebug, because it adds the pressure that it lacks. I know the Big Shot has really good pressure, and I am not sure the Express has the same amount of pressure???

The manufacturer of the dies has come up with this new product to enhance the performance of the dies with the Cuttlebug, and I bet it works well. :)

Sorry I can't you first-hand advice, but wanted to offer the info I DO have. :) Have a great night.

The MFT Lady 01-08-2011 03:45 AM

I have played around with it a bit on my big shot and it works quite well! Sometimes a little too well since my big shot has a good amount of ores sure anyway.

Basically the way it's been explains to me is that Cuttlebugs don't offer the same amount of pressure that a big shot does and the metal adapter offers both a shim and extra support to make intrigued dies cut more easily.

wifelady 01-08-2011 06:05 AM

I have it and I have a Cuttlebug -- love to use it instead of finding shims. I only have the snowflakes dies but it works great with them.

texasjodylynn 01-09-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifelady (Post 17782906)
I have it and I have a Cuttlebug -- love to use it instead of finding shims. I only have the snowflakes dies but it works great with them.

Good to know. Thanks for letting us know. :)

kim8mis 01-12-2011 02:20 AM

Hey there, I'm still waiting for my metal adapter to arrive but we use this together with the Die-namics right? And also, do I just lay it on top of my whole sandwich? I use the Cuttlebug. Thanks!

texasjodylynn 01-12-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim8mis (Post 17801192)
Hey there, I'm still waiting for my metal adapter to arrive but we use this together with the Die-namics right? And also, do I just lay it on top of my whole sandwich? I use the Cuttlebug. Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure about this...

I'm not sure, but I would think you use it under the die with the FLAT part of the die on the metal plate, and then the die, blade up, then the paper, then the other cutting plate. You better wait until someone who has done it responds though...

Maybe I'll buy one so I can experiment with my Cuttlebug, which is currently serving as my door stop. LOL

kim8mis 01-18-2011 04:24 AM

Alright! I finally got the metal adapter plate and tried it out with the doily die-namic. It now states on MFT's where you should put the metal adapter plate for each of the different systems you may be using. For me, it's the Cuttlebug and I start at the bottom with A, C, Metal Adapter Plate, Die-namic, Cardstock then B plate right on top.

At first it felt a bit tight going through but I'm so glad that I bought it. The doily got cut out like a dream! Amazing!!! Definitely one to get for the more intricate dies and if you're trying to cut thicker materials like cardstock.

Hope this helps!

mwkids 01-18-2011 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info, I was looking at this and wondering if it was worth it. I only have a few dies right now, with more on the way, that I use in my Cuttlebug. Now it is on my must buy list along with a zillion other MFT dies! :D

The MFT Lady 01-18-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim8mis (Post 17829272)
Alright! I finally got the metal adapter plate and tried it out with the doily die-namic. It now states on MFT's where you should put the metal adapter plate for each of the different systems you may be using. For me, it's the Cuttlebug and I start at the bottom with A, C, Metal Adapter Plate, Die-namic, Cardstock then B plate right on top.

At first it felt a bit tight going through but I'm so glad that I bought it. The doily got cut out like a dream! Amazing!!! Definitely one to get for the more intricate dies and if you're trying to cut thicker materials like cardstock.

Hope this helps!

Once I started playing around with it on my Big Shot I realized that it was not just for "bug" owners! Sometimes with the Big Shot it can give a bit too much pressure, but for intricate dies, I LOVE it!

The MFT Lady 01-18-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim8mis (Post 17801192)

You can certainly play around with the stacks and find what works best for your machine, but I generally put mine underneath my die, away from the cutting side because I don't want it marred.

The MFT Lady 01-18-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwkids (Post 17830022)
Thanks for the info, I was looking at this and wondering if it was worth it. I only have a few dies right now, with more on the way, that I use in my Cuttlebug. Now it is on my must buy list along with a zillion other MFT dies! :D

LOL! That's wonderful news! We are so proud of our dies!

mwkids 01-18-2011 03:40 PM

Okay, I broke down and bought the adapter(and more dies!) today as I had a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket. :) I can't wait to get them!

texasjodylynn 01-19-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwkids (Post 17832443)
Okay, I broke down and bought the adapter(and more dies!) today as I had a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket. :) I can't wait to get them!

Enjoy! :)

hpcurling 07-06-2012 04:38 AM

Has anyone found a substitue for this metal adapter plate. I am thinking metal flashing for home improvement box stores? I have not idea how thick this metal needs to be. Just thinking!!!

The MFT Lady 07-07-2012 02:56 PM

We've got more on the way! They should arrive mid-July.

lmrife 01-31-2014 06:39 AM

Hi hpcurling,
I was wondering if you tried to make the metal adapter and if so, did it work? Was it made from a metal sheet from a hardware store. Home Depot has a sheet of 24 x 36 for $9.34. I could make a lot of adapters from it!
Thanks

tessaduck 01-31-2014 08:18 AM

My metal adapter shim buckled a lot, and it's hard to force it through either my cuttlebug or big shot. What to do?

muscrat 01-31-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduck (Post 20508765)
My metal adapter shim buckled a lot, and it's hard to force it through either my cuttlebug or big shot. What to do?

Brenda, mine hasn't buckled. Do you put it down first? Under the bottom acrylic plate? The only time I had a problem was when I messed up and put it on top of the plate.

texasjodylynn 02-02-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduck (Post 20508765)

Hi Brenda, are you sandwiching it between the acrylic cutting plates? It should be next to the flat surface of your die in your cutting sandwich.

tessaduck 02-02-2014 07:08 PM

So, from the bottom up, it's A-B-plate-die (cutting edge up)-C? I had the shim on the cutting edge. Well, live and learn.

texasjodylynn 02-04-2014 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduck (Post 20512568)
So, from the bottom up, it's A-B-plate-die (cutting edge up)-C? I had the shim on the cutting edge. Well, live and learn.

I don't own a cuttlebug anymore, but when I did I do recall using ABC to cut. I never cut with the cutting edge up, but I know that is pretty much every manufacturer's instructions. I just find it inconvenient. LOL

I do cutting blade down always. I would stack like this if I had a cuttlebug still:

(listed from top to bottom)

c plate
metal adapter plate
die, blade down (the smooth side of the die should always be next to the metal adapter plate)
paper
b plate
a plate

Do what makes you feel comfortable though, and refer to your instruction manual. I know my Vagabond, but it's been a long time since I have owned a Cuttlebug.