Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   My Favorite Things (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/my-favorite-things-f164/)
-   -   Ask Us a Question About Die-namics or Other MFT Products (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/my-favorite-things-f164/ask-us-question-about-die-namics-other-mft-products-t521908.html)

texasjodylynn 03-03-2011 09:49 AM

Ask Us a Question About Die-namics or Other MFT Products

Have a question? Need help using one of the fabulous MFT products? Post a question here and one of our team members will be happy to help you out. I will be compiling the most frequently asked questions with answers right in this thread for your convenience.

Die-namics Tip & Tricks

Framed Greetings:
The Framed Greetings stamp set contains 3 frame stamps. Because we included as much as humanly possible in the stamp set, the frame stamps don't have a lot of "base" included to keep them sturdy when removing them from the sheets and placing them on the block. To place them perfectly every time follow this tutorial: Jody shows you how to line up your stamps with your Framed Greetings die

Centering stamped images within a die-cut using Die-namics dies: Barbara shows you how to do it perfectly, every time

Sassy & Sweet and Sweet Stack Die-namics: Jody shows you some tips & tricks for using the Sassy & Sweet stamp set

Here is a Rolled Rose tutorial on Jody's blog that I refer to customers when they have questions about how to make a perfect flower!

Here's a video that Arlene made showing how to use the pop out tool!

Here is a video showing you how to use the Rolled Daisy Die-namics die by Arlene.

Here, Jody shows you how to assemble a rainbow using the Rainbow Die-namics die easily, and perfectly every time. Here is the blog post, which includes a photo tutorial.

Watch Sarah's video for some amazing tips on layering Die-namics and making the most out of your Die-namics dies.

A Die-namics customer suggests using a lint roller to remove the die-cuts from the dies after cutting. You can also use a paper piercer to pole it out through the holes, a removable tape strip, or a Quick Stick.

The MFT Lady 03-19-2011 04:29 AM

Here is a Rolled Rose tutorial on Jody's blog that I refer to customers when they have questions about how to make a perfect flower!

Tortuga 04-11-2011 05:25 AM

Hi,
I'm not sure I know how to use my new High Tea Party Doily die. Please help. I don't know how what to do with the extra metal plate that came with it.
Thank you so much for your time.

kerryj106 04-11-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortuga (Post 18187022)
Hi,
I'm not sure I know how to use my new High Tea Party Doily die. Please help. I don't know how what to do with the extra metal plate that came with it.
Thank you so much for your time.

Here's a video that Arlene made showing how to use the pop out tool! HTH!

Tortuga 04-13-2011 05:18 AM

Kerry,
Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you!
I look forward to playing with my new toy!
Have a Blessed Day!
Diane

The MFT Lady 05-13-2011 09:53 AM

Alma gave me a fun tip that I finally had time to try out today and am happy to report that it works quite well!
  • Add a small piece of Scor-tape (or double sided tape) to your Die-namics, on the inside cutting area.
  • Then place a piece of wax or parchment paper bigger than the size of your Die-namics between the die and the card stock you wish to cut.
  • Run through your die cutting machine as normal.
  • Once removed from your machine, the wax paper will be inside your die, adhered by the piece of tape and will help prevent the card stock from staying inside your Die-namics!

Miss Meowy 05-13-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MFT Lady (Post 18309330)
Alma gave me a fun tip that I finally had time to try out today and am happy to report that it works quite well!

I'm glad this works for you. A customer passed on this tip. I'm going to have to try it.

va.sunshine 05-14-2011 03:26 AM

what alpha goes with the fishtail banners? Sometimes I will be looking for an item and it is there one day and gone the next, what happens to it?

AmberDawn 05-14-2011 03:47 AM

T, I think the Typewriter alpha fits!

va.sunshine 05-14-2011 04:04 AM

thanks Amber, I cannot find it in the store.....hhhhmmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawn (Post 18311324)
T, I think the Typewriter alpha fits!

kerryj106 05-14-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshine (Post 18311348)
thanks Amber, I cannot find it in the store.....hhhhmmmm

It's right here:
https://www.mftstamps.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=1190

HTH!

va.sunshine 05-14-2011 09:41 AM

yippie...thanks so much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryj106 (Post 18311899)

texasjodylynn 05-14-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshine (Post 18311302)
what alpha goes with the fishtail banners? Sometimes I will be looking for an item and it is there one day and gone the next, what happens to it?

If a product is missing, it is out of stock and will be visible again once it is in stock. :)

The Banner Day Alphabet also fits in the Fishtail Banner: https://www.mftstamps.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=903

The small, smooth circle in the Fishtail Banner is 5/8" so the alpha needs to be small to fit inside. I LOVE the Fishtail Banner. LOVE LOVE. :)

va.sunshine 05-14-2011 04:40 PM

thanks Jodi, I just received an order yesterday...but I have a big wish list...hehehe...I am waiting on the mini roses die, I think it is still out of stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn (Post 18312524)
If a product is missing, it is out of stock and will be visible again once it is in stock. :)

The Banner Day Alphabet also fits in the Fishtail Banner: https://www.mftstamps.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=903

The small, smooth circle in the Fishtail Banner is 5/8" so the alpha needs to be small to fit inside. I LOVE the Fishtail Banner. LOVE LOVE. :)

joannhw 05-17-2011 03:18 AM

Thanks for all this great info!!

Stamper for fun 05-17-2011 03:11 PM

I am hoping someone can help me. I purchased the Ribbon RE:Creations Grosgrain Texture Board today. I looked on the MFT website and I see the sandwich for the Big Shot but nothing for the CB and I own the CB. Can someone provide me the sandwich for the CB? What I am getting now with different sandwiches I tried is a very very faint impression that I can barely see (yes, I know it is supposed to be subtle but....) -- when I touch it I can sort of feel the lines. Also I only own the Spellbinders tan mats. Thanks.

texasjodylynn 05-17-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for fun (Post 18322910)
I am hoping someone can help me. I purchased the Ribbon RE:Creations Grosgrain Texture Board today. I looked on the MFT website and I see the sandwich for the Big Shot but nothing for the CB and I own the CB. Can someone provide me the sandwich for the CB? What I am getting now with different sandwiches I tried is a very very faint impression that I can barely see (yes, I know it is supposed to be subtle but....) -- when I touch it I can sort of feel the lines. Also I only own the Spellbinders tan mats. Thanks.

I am not 100% sure, because I got rid of my CB recently, but here is the stack I would use:

A B C + super thin mat that MFT sells. I know you said you only have the spellbinders mats, but those are very thick compared to the one I am talking about.

Have you tried A B B with your mat and maybe a couple shims (pieces of card stock)?

Stamper for fun 05-17-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn (Post 18323094)
I am not 100% sure, because I got rid of my CB recently, but here is the stack I would use:

A B C + super thin mat that MFT sells. I know you said you only have the spellbinders mats, but those are very thick compared to the one I am talking about.

Have you tried A B B with your mat and maybe a couple shims (pieces of card stock)?

Yes, I have tried this combo. I know the look is supposed to be subtle but I really thought I would be able to see the lines more so that a strip of CS looks like grosgrain ribbon. I'm rather disappointed because I don't think those I give my cards to will notice it. I'll keep trying.

texasjodylynn 05-17-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for fun (Post 18323467)
Yes, I have tried this combo. I know the look is supposed to be subtle but I really thought I would be able to see the lines more so that a strip of CS looks like grosgrain ribbon. I'm rather disappointed because I don't think those I give my cards to will notice it. I'll keep trying.

Have you considered trying a different die-cutting machine at some point? The Cuttlebug has probably the least amount of cutting pressure of all the machines.

I think you'll find if you get the super thin embossing mat and use the ABC thin mat stack, you'll get a much better result. HTH

Stamper for fun 05-18-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn (Post 18323891)
Have you considered trying a different die-cutting machine at some point? The Cuttlebug has probably the least amount of cutting pressure of all the machines.

I think you'll find if you get the super thin embossing mat and use the ABC thin mat stack, you'll get a much better result. HTH

Thanks, Jody. My CB is doing okay with all my other dies so right now I'm not in the market for a new cutting machine. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

trimont 05-28-2011 03:19 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial for using the rolled daisy die?
:confused:

thx

texasjodylynn 05-28-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimont (Post 18363194)
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial for using the rolled daisy die?
:confused:

thx

Here is a video by one of our designers, Arlene:

YouTube - ‪MFT's Rolled Daisy Tutorial‬‏

trimont 05-29-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn (Post 18363594)
Here is a video by one of our designers, Arlene:

YouTube - ‪MFT's Rolled Daisy Tutorial‬‏

THANKS!

diecutdi 06-17-2011 04:29 PM

I bought the Notched Tag die and stamp set. They are so adorable. Unfortunately I can't seem to keep my notched tag on my cards. Are they supposed to be attached around something like a button. I used to use buttons all the time but have stopped since its so difficult to mail without extra postage. I also tried to attach it around a knot of twine. What am I doing wrong?

texasjodylynn 06-17-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diecutdi (Post 18434324)
I bought the Notched Tag die and stamp set. They are so adorable. Unfortunately I can't seem to keep my notched tag on my cards. Are they supposed to be attached around something like a button. I used to use buttons all the time but have stopped since its so difficult to mail without extra postage. I also tried to attach it around a knot of twine. What am I doing wrong?

Hi and thanks for stopping by. You're not doing anything wrong. You may not be using a large enough knot. What *I* do, is also adhere the tag to my card with a dimensional or glue dot. The "notch" is a novelty and something different than actually just using a tag, KWIM? So, embrace the space and find creative ways to incorporate it on your cards... just use adhesive in addition to stringing it on something. :) Hope that helps. I LOVE the Notched Tag die and stamp set. SO cute!

lisac99 06-27-2011 05:01 AM

Die-namics

Hi, Is there a way to cut the die-namics so they would be continual - like to edge a 12" scrapbook page? Thanks.

texasjodylynn 06-27-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisac99 (Post 18463071)
Hi, Is there a way to cut the die-namics so they would be continual - like to edge a 12" scrapbook page? Thanks.

A couple of the dies are designed to do that. They have open bases and ends so that you can line them up to make longer pieces.

They are:

Jumbo Scallop: https://www.mftstamps.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=834

Scalloped Scallop: https://www.mftstamps.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=835

For others, you can place them next to each other to make an unconnected, but continuous line. Many of the dies are designed to be able to just lay next to eachother. In other case, you might have to trim an edge or something, but some cleverly placed embellishments would cover up any seams.

Hope that helps. :)

Grandma Sue 06-29-2011 10:43 AM

What is the correct sandwich for using the big shot for embossing with the MFT embossing pads?

texasjodylynn 06-29-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma Sue (Post 18471125)
What is the correct sandwich for using the big shot for embossing with the MFT embossing pads?

I use my normal cutting sandwich and add the thinnest embossing mat that comes in the set that MFT sells.

So: from the bottom up:

Multipurpose Platform
clear cutting plate
thinnest embossing mat
paper
die
clear cutting plate

Hope that helps and do NOT try this with a fat embossing mat. You have to use the thinnest one that MFT sells. It comes in a set of 2, only use the thinnest one. That is the one that works best.

Grandma Sue 06-29-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks so much. The MFT dies and stamps are wonderful:)

texasjodylynn 07-01-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma Sue (Post 18471691)
Thanks so much. The MFT dies and stamps are wonderful:)

You're very welcome, and I AGREE! :) (not that I am biased or anything...) ;)

thechecker 11-04-2011 01:27 PM

Hi, I just got the fancy flourish die, and am having some trouble figuring the best way to attach it to the card. I cut it in a paper backed foil, and it is lovely, but how do I glue it on? I ran it thru my xyron, but then it crumbled together when I tried to apply it. I ran the paper thru the xyron before cutting, which worked better, but I still tore part off when taking the backing off.

Any tips for attaching it?

Thanks,
Anne

texasjodylynn 11-04-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechecker (Post 18889818)
Hi, I just got the fancy flourish die, and am having some trouble figuring the best way to attach it to the card. I cut it in a paper backed foil, and it is lovely, but how do I glue it on? I ran it thru my xyron, but then it crumbled together when I tried to apply it. I ran the paper thru the xyron before cutting, which worked better, but I still tore part off when taking the backing off.

Any tips for attaching it?

Thanks,
Anne

I just use a small amount of glue on the largest part of the base (near the fleur).

LauraJean 11-19-2011 03:55 PM

So the new oval die in the VIP kit doesn't layer with My other oval dies. Bummer. Hard to justify buying more plain oval dies when I have 14 of them already. Guess I won't use it much, it's a a really pretty die....

texasjodylynn 11-20-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraJean (Post 18938996)
So the new oval die in the VIP kit doesn't layer with My other oval dies. Bummer. Hard to justify buying more plain oval dies when I have 14 of them already. Guess I won't use it much, it's a a really pretty die....

Do you mean oval dies from other companies? The Oval Open Scallop Doily wasn't designed to work with other oval dies. It is sized to fit Pure Innocence images in the solid portion of the die-cut. It also looks great with the Layered Label Die-namics die (the biggest piece) as I discovered yesterday. :) It also looks great tucked behind layers, and with other shapes layered over it. Don't give up on it, it's gorgeous. I'm sure the design team will be showing it in use during teasers starting on November 30th, so maybe you'll find some new ideas then.

LauraJean 11-20-2011 06:19 PM

Hmmm I'll play with it a bit. I'm just used to layering my ovals :) thanks for the great tips!

LauraJean 11-20-2011 06:21 PM

I agree, it's a beautiful die! Thanks Jody!

KelliJo 11-20-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraJean (Post 18941972)
I agree, it's a beautiful die! Thanks Jody!

You need it LJ!!! ;) Been playing with mine and it IS perfection!!! LOOOOVE!!!!

KelliJo 11-20-2011 08:35 PM

OK and JUST for the record... I watched the Friday video and get this...

I USED MY ROSETTE DIENAMIC!!!!!! :mrgreen: LOVE YOU JO!!!!!! :mrgreen:

texasjodylynn 11-21-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraJean (Post 18941963)
Hmmm I'll play with it a bit. I'm just used to layering my ovals :) thanks for the great tips!

I do know what you mean, but try layering "out of the box". If you have the Layered Label die is layers really nicely in there. :)