My Favorite Things on Splitcoast

Need A Hug?

by TreasureOiler

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #81
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper for fun View Post
I just got mine this week but have not opened it. I'd better do that now. I'll let you know how mine works.

Yes please let me know! My girlfriend has the same problem so I'm curious to see how yours work.
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #82
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to texasjodylynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnergirlchase View Post
I love everything MFT just did my 5th order in 4 months!

I'm having trouble getting a clean cut with my Fishtail Flags dies though - no matter what I try I get some creasing. It's bad enough that I'm not using what I cut out on any of my cards.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tracey
Because of how the Fishtail Flags "stack" inside one another, they have the "ledge" next to the blade. This allows us to squeeze more shapes in the same amount of space that would have yielded only one die. The "crease" is normal. If you look at the DT samples, you'll see the same thing. It is a light embossed effect when cutting, or you can deepen the impression with an embossing mat, but that is how the dies work. It's not a defect.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #83
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjodylynn View Post
Because of how the Fishtail Flags "stack" inside one another, they have the "ledge" next to the blade. This allows us to squeeze more shapes in the same amount of space that would have yielded only one die. The "crease" is normal. If you look at the DT samples, you'll see the same thing. It is a light embossed effect when cutting, or you can deepen the impression with an embossing mat, but that is how the dies work. It's not a defect.
I just wanted to add that this is true of all STAX within the Die-namics line. Hope that helps.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #84
Pearl-ExPert

I am assuming those plastic things behind the dies are supposed to be removed - that they are just there fore shipping and packing purposes.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #85
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
I am assuming those plastic things behind the dies are supposed to be removed - that they are just there fore shipping and packing purposes.
You can remove them if you'd like to. The die will work either way.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #86
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks. I removed them. I just finished cleaning the dies from the adhesive remains. Now to cut.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #87
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnergirlchase View Post
I love everything MFT just did my 5th order in 4 months!

I'm having trouble getting a clean cut with my Fishtail Flags dies though - no matter what I try I get some creasing. It's bad enough that I'm not using what I cut out on any of my cards.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tracey
Jody posted after your inquiry and so now I am not sure if you and she are talking about the same thing when you mentioned "creasing." I am not sure if your "crease" is the same as when she mentions "light embossed effect" so I will try to explain what happened to me.

First I cut with the dies as I received them (plastic things on). I put the flat side in my Cuttlebug first with fishtail at the end. What I got was the fishtail that was scrunched up at the points. This was not the "light embossed effect." I'm not sure if my "scrunched" up is same as your "crease." I didn't like the plastics on the dies as they were ditry and scratched up. I've never purchased any dies with the plastic on them so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with them so I posted and Jody said I can leave them on or take them off. I removed them and cleaned them with GOO-GONE.

After they were all cleaned and dried I played some more with the dies. When I ran the dies through I rolled the fishtail side first with the flat end last. This worked well and the fishtails were no longer "scrunched" up. So all is good for me. When I want the embossing I'll run it through with the appropriate pads.

I really like these fishtails.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #88
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Jody posted after your inquiry and so now I am not sure if you and she are talking about the same thing when you mentioned "creasing." I am not sure if your "crease" is the same as when she mentions "light embossed effect" so I will try to explain what happened to me.

First I cut with the dies as I received them (plastic things on). I put the flat side in my Cuttlebug first with fishtail at the end. What I got was the fishtail that was scrunched up at the points. This was not the "light embossed effect." I'm not sure if my "scrunched" up is same as your "crease." I didn't like the plastics on the dies as they were ditry and scratched up. I've never purchased any dies with the plastic on them so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with them so I posted and Jody said I can leave them on or take them off. I removed them and cleaned them with GOO-GONE.

After they were all cleaned and dried I played some more with the dies. When I ran the dies through I rolled the fishtail side first with the flat end last. This worked well and the fishtails were no longer "scrunched" up. So all is good for me. When I want the embossing I'll run it through with the appropriate pads.

I really like these fishtails.
Yes my problem is similar! I expected the light embossing effect I love that on all MFT dies, my creasing sounds similar to your scrunching! I will try cleaning them today, ive run them through the Cuttlebug in every direction I can think of and so far nothing works. I'll clean them today and report back - thanks ladies!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #89
Pearl-ExPert

I re-read my post and see where I wasn't clear. I ended up removing and discarding the plastics. Then I cleaned the dies with GOO-GONE because it had all that adhesive stuff on the dies. I put the GOO-GONE on the die and let it dissolve the adhesive a bit and then just wiped the dies GENTLY with a paper towel. Then I washed off the GOO-GONE.

I'm rather new to MFT dies and so I am not sure what the warranty covers. Jody told me it is okay to remove the plastics. Please check with MFT to see what the warranty covers.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #90
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to lisabeepianolovin Send a message via Yahoo to lisabeepianolovin

Okay time for my question...

I adore my dienamics. I love the flower (prima donna, fringed per..) but I also have the fancy flourish, leafy flourish and some others...BUT for some reason, the flower ones are the only ones which cut clean through my cardstock. I am having serious issues getting the flourishes to make clean cuts--especially in cardstock.

I have a Cuttlebug--finances will not allow me to change so that's not an option right now. I just replaced my B plates last week. Which improved the cuts, but I still have to finish them with my Xacto knife...which means I end up ruining them since they are such thin designs.

Suggestions? I keep reading about a thin embossing pad--is this sold separately at MFT? And would it make the difference? I have tried thin pieces of cardstock as an added shim and frankly it doesn't do squat to make it cut better.

for the record I'm using PTI and SU cardstock...and it isn't cutting through either of them. Unless I use the flower dies. Weird.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #91
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
I re-read my post and see where I wasn't clear. I ended up removing and discarding the plastics. Then I cleaned the dies with GOO-GONE because it had all that adhesive stuff on the dies. I put the GOO-GONE on the die and let it dissolve the adhesive a bit and then just wiped the dies GENTLY with a paper towel. Then I washed off the GOO-GONE.

I'm rather new to MFT dies and so I am not sure what the warranty covers. Jody told me it is okay to remove the plastics. Please check with MFT to see what the warranty covers.
MFT will stand behind the products if they are defective. Removing the plastic or snapping the dies apart (for the sets that are hooked together with thin metal) dies not void the warranty.

I do the exact same thing you listed above.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #92
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabeepianolovin View Post
Okay time for my question...

I adore my dienamics. I love the flower (prima donna, fringed per..) but I also have the fancy flourish, leafy flourish and some others...BUT for some reason, the flower ones are the only ones which cut clean through my cardstock. I am having serious issues getting the flourishes to make clean cuts--especially in cardstock.

I have a Cuttlebug--finances will not allow me to change so that's not an option right now. I just replaced my B plates last week. Which improved the cuts, but I still have to finish them with my Xacto knife...which means I end up ruining them since they are such thin designs.

Suggestions? I keep reading about a thin embossing pad--is this sold separately at MFT? And would it make the difference? I have tried thin pieces of cardstock as an added shim and frankly it doesn't do squat to make it cut better.

for the record I'm using PTI and SU cardstock...and it isn't cutting through either of them. Unless I use the flower dies. Weird.
It has to do with the intricate style of the dies and there not being enough pressure with the current stack you are using. These dies cut through pressure and with flower shapes that have less "blade" throughout them, the pressure is enough to cut those more easily. This is what you need: Large Metal Adapter Plate for Die-namics

It's out of stock right now, but it was actually designed with the Cuttlebug in mind. It is a thin metal shim that really helps with cutting intricate dies. You can use it with ANY die to create more pressure, but I automatically grab it if I am going to cut a flourish, snowflake, doily, etc... anything with a lot of detail. It really helps those cut cleanly, the "negative" pieces pop out more easily, and you'll get a cleaner cut. I use a Vagabond, but still love using the metal shim for those types of dies. I hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #93
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to lisabeepianolovin Send a message via Yahoo to lisabeepianolovin

Thank you, Jody! I will keep looking for it so I can get it!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #94
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Thank you, Jody! I will keep looking for it so I can get it!
They are on order now, so check back in a week or two. It's totally worth it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #95
Die Cut Diva

Okay. I got the thin metal adapter...

Does the sandwhich for a CUTTLEBUG using it go:

A
B
Paper
Die
Metal Plate (against negative side of die)
C

Because I tried that with my fancy flourish die and it did better but STILL didn't cut all the way through my cardstock.

I'm sure you are all going to tell me to chuck the Cuttlebug, but I don't have the funds to do that and probably won't for quite awhile...so I really really really need to make this work! I love my MFT dies and want to be able to use them. I hate not using them right now.

Can anyone help?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #96
Die Cut Diva

i have used this combo in cuttlebug and it cuts well
A
B
metal plate
paper
die
C
try it
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #97
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Okay. I got the thin metal adapter...

Does the sandwhich for a CUTTLEBUG using it go:

A
B
Paper
Die
Metal Plate (against negative side of die)
C

Because I tried that with my fancy flourish die and it did better but STILL didn't cut all the way through my cardstock.

I'm sure you are all going to tell me to chuck the Cuttlebug, but I don't have the funds to do that and probably won't for quite awhile...so I really really really need to make this work! I love my MFT dies and want to be able to use them. I hate not using them right now.

Can anyone help?
Sounds right to me. Make sure the blade side of the die is pointing away from the metal plate. (flat side of die directly on metal plate). Looks like you cut with the blade up. I always did it down. I know the die cutting machine suggests the other way but I never liked doing it that way.

How old is your CB? Those things get looser over time and CB has low pressure to begins with (compared to the other machines).

I would suggest:

ONLY cutting that one die-cut at once (doing more than one at one time reduces the pressure per inch)

adding a piece of card stock along with the metal shim, but if it feels too tight, don't roll it through. I'm afraid you'll "over-shim" and bust your machine.

I'm not sure what to suggest aside from replacing your machine, which you have said is not an option right now. Maybe ask Santa for a Big Shot or Vagabond for Christmas?

You shouldn't have problems with the less intricate dies and your CB (with the metal plate). I know that the intricate ones are the hardest for the CB to handle, although the metal adapter plate seems to solve that problem for everyone who has ever had a problem. I am so sorry it didn't work for you. I'm thinking it's your machine. ???
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #98
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hi Jody! What are the differences between Beautiful Bows and Dainty Bows Die-namics - trying to decide between the two!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #99
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I went and watched your videos on both products and I can see there's a slight difference in shape and also in size!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #100
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't read this whole thread to see if my question is answered, but I do have a question. I purchased a die-namics Hibiscus die today at a local scrapbook shop. It is part of the flower, middle, leaf : all connected, but cuts separately. Do I break it apart?
And why is it why is it missing a petal? I looked in the gallery, and on some of the flowers on the cards, it does look like they pieced the flower together, but on others looks like a whole flower. This is only the 2nd Die-namics I have ever purchased.
Thank you

Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 61/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$152.90
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #101
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinlay View Post
I went and watched your videos on both products and I can see there's a slight difference in shape and also in size!
Sorry I missed your first question. Yep, they are a different shape, basically the same sizes, but a tiny bit different. The tails are a little different. The Beautiful Bow is a little more "full" I think. Hope that helps. They both are awesome!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #102
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadson View Post
I haven't read this whole thread to see if my question is answered, but I do have a question. I purchased a die-namics Hibiscus die today at a local scrapbook shop. It is part of the flower, middle, leaf : all connected, but cuts separately. Do I break it apart?
And why is it why is it missing a petal? I looked in the gallery, and on some of the flowers on the cards, it does look like they pieced the flower together, but on others looks like a whole flower. This is only the 2nd Die-namics I have ever purchased.
Thank you

Sharon
Hi Sharon. You can break it apart if you'd like. I usually do break mine apart by gently bending back and forth until they break apart.

Here is a video that will show you how to assemble the flower: Hibiscus Die-namics from My Favorite Things - YouTube
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #103
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Sharon. You can break it apart if you'd like. I usually do break mine apart by gently bending back and forth until they break apart.

Here is a video that will show you how to assemble the flower: Hibiscus Die-namics from My Favorite Things - YouTube
Wow! Thank you Jody! I can't wait to use it now. Now I have something to use on the next MFT challenge srapbook page.

Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 61/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$152.90
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #104
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for sharing the link to this video.. I have this die and hadn't even thought about making longer banners with it.. now I will. thanks again ~ Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Hi Maggie---I think I found the information you were looking for about the Banner Dies. And, in the process, I seem to have found the answer to my own question about snipping the dies apart. It's mentioned in the video =)

Here's a link to the banner die video:

Longer Pennants with the Die-namics Mix & Match Banners - YouTube

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #105
Die Cut Diva

Quick question please: The clear backing has pulled off from one of my Fishtail dies. Will the die work, and hold up, without that backing? Or do I need to run to the store and buy some super glue? Thank you for your help.

**must admit I loathe super glue. I'm a klutz and always manage to stick my fingers together, or worse, to whatever I am trying to repair.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #106
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratBee View Post
Quick question please: The clear backing has pulled off from one of my Fishtail dies. Will the die work, and hold up, without that backing? Or do I need to run to the store and buy some super glue? Thank you for your help.

**must admit I loathe super glue. I'm a klutz and always manage to stick my fingers together, or worse, to whatever I am trying to repair.
HI there. The die is fully functional with or without the clear backing. I actually remove all of mine right when I get a set of STAX. They will hold up just fine. It isn't a "structural" component of the die.

The newest STAX releases do not include the plastic backer at all.

Thanks for checking.

No super glue needed.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #107
Rubber Obsessor

Default Blue prints

Hi I just purchased the new blue prints, do I need anything other than my big shot with the adapter plates it came with?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #108
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandmwilson View Post
Hi I just purchased the new blue prints, do I need anything other than my big shot with the adapter plates it came with?
No, you don't. You'll close all tabs on your big shot and sandwich the Blueprints die with your paper between the 2 clear cutting plates. That's it.

Have fun with your new die.

Here is the cutting sandwich:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 9.16.48 AM.png (54.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #109
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Jody.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #110
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratBee View Post
Thank you Jody.
You're welcome.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #111
Rubber Obsessor

I am looking for the tutorial on how to use the new poppy dies with the clear stamps. I know one of the DT posted how to line up the die with the stamped image. Love those poppies.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmast52 View Post
I am looking for the tutorial on how to use the new poppy dies with the clear stamps. I know one of the DT posted how to line up the die with the stamped image. Love those poppies.
Hi there. I think this is the post you are looking for: Flowers and Ink: It's Teaser Time!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #113
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hi there. I think this is the post you are looking for: Flowers and Ink: It's Teaser Time!
Thank you!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #114
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinspadiva

What is the difference between the fishtail flags and the fishtail flags stax? I've never purchased any of your dies before but these look very intriguing and I want to know which ones I should get..... Thank you!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #115
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Can you pressure emboss with the die-namics?

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #116
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinspadiva View Post
What is the difference between the fishtail flags and the fishtail flags stax? I've never purchased any of your dies before but these look very intriguing and I want to know which ones I should get..... Thank you!
We have Fishtail Flags STAX and Fishtail Flag Layers STAX. The layers version is slightly bigger so you can layer the two together if desired. They are the same type of die (STAX), which gives more pieces because they are nested inside one another. If you could get only one, I would choose the Fishtail Flag Layers STAX, because that set contains the largest flag, and the smallest piece in the set is very usable for sentiments. If you want to layer with a nice, small border, you'll need both.

If you have any other questions, let us know.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #117
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
Can you pressure emboss with the die-namics?
Yes, you can. As a matter the fact, we have a tutorial right here: Create Gorgeous Embossed Backgrounds with Die-namics | My Favorite Things

and right here: https://www.mftstamps.com/blog/learn...ed-background/

When I use my Vagabond, I used the thinnest mat from this product: Die-namics Embossing Pad Combo

So the stack for me is: (from the bottom up) - platform, cutting plate, embossing mat, paper, die, cutting plate.

Hope that helps.

You can also use the same stack with our STENCILS. I have been experimenting with it and I LOVE the results!

Here is a look at all the stencils we carry: Stencils
mollymoo951 likes this post.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #118
Forum Fanatic

I was wondering, is there a list of when the ink pads were released? I see a listing for the stamps and the die-namics.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #119
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejazzy652 View Post
I was wondering, is there a list of when the ink pads were released? I see a listing for the stamps and the die-namics.
Are you more concerned with the order they were released or the exact release month/year they were released?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #120
Forum Fanatic

Default ink pads

Quote:
Are you more concerned with the order they were released or the exact release month/year they were released?
I am looking for the order in which they were released. I tend to purchase the inkpads here and there. I tend to purchase them sort of out of order, and then I forget which ones that I didn't purchase.