Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default the Hunger Games

Has anyone else seen the movie and wish to comment? I read the 1st book before I saw the movie. (This is the first time I ever read a book before seeing the movie) I was a little disappointed at the movie. (I still thought it was great). Like people have said, the games in the movie seem like it only takes 2 or 3 days rather than the 2 weeks or so in the book. I had the 2nd book (Catching Fire) 1/4 read when I saw the Hunger Games. Thought it was good also. (Catching Fire) And have 3 chapters left in the 3rd (Mockingjay) as of Today. I never could get into the Twilight movies. I think the whole "vampires sparkling" thing didn't make sense. I'd love to hear what others thought.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I thought the movie was well done, even though they had to leave out so much. I'm glad they toned down the violence in the movie. I have to admit, the actors who played Catniss and Gale really bothered me because they were WAY TOO healthy and robust. I would not believe for a second that they had ever been truely hungry....it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief, which is required to totally immerse yourself in a story.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to soaksupthesun

I loved the books, read the trilogy in a week. But I agree with both Greg T and victorial, the movie was disappointing but still good. Both characters looked like athletes, not starving and deprived district 12 kids. I'm still happy I read the books and saw the movie though for entertainment.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess I never thought of Katniss and Gale being scrawny weak kids because they both went out hunting in the woods all the time. They knew how to get food if they needed it for their families. As for being athletic, again they were out hunting and doing things to survive. Remember District 12 was in the Appelations (sp?), a mining district, like the miners of West Virginia. They are a pretty hardy people. That's just what I thought.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I did not read the books and just got back from the movie. I LOVED it. There were small children in the theatre, so I'm glad the movie was too violent. Looking forward to buying the books and reading them before the next movie.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Inking Addict

My family and I went to watch the movie over the weekend. My husband HATES to go to the movies, but he even enjoyed this one. All evening he kept asking me questions about it (I've read the book), because they had to cut out so much.
I was happy that they cut down on the violence, because kid-on-kid violence really sickens me. I LOVED the seeing the capital come to life, because reading it was WAY out there! (The multitude of hair colors, outfits, etc.) And I thought Cinna was GREAT!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

Went last Friday (4-13) to see it for the second time. Thought it was just as good. I was reading an issue of Entertainment Weekly a couple of days ago and read they will start filming the second book (catching Fire) in the series in September. (Jennifer Lawrence [Katniss]) will start training in July. And that they may make the third book (Mockingjay) a 2 parter. I'm starting to re-read the series again.
"That is Mahogany!!"
Effie Trinket
Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
Went last Friday (4-13) to see it for the second time. Thought it was just as good. I was reading an issue of Entertainment Weekly a couple of days ago and read they will start filming the second book (catching Fire) in the series in September. (Jennifer Lawrence [Katniss]) will start training in July. And that they may make the third book (Mockingjay) a 2 parter. I'm starting to re-read the series again.
"That is Mahogany!!"
Effie Trinket
LOVE the quote Greg T....My daughter has the countdown to the "Catching Fire" release app on her Iphone and we are CRAZY about the books and movie...I too have never read a book before seeing the movie but I sure will start reading the books beforehand now!! We wore our "Cinna told me to wear this" t-shirts to the movie and had a blast!!
"May the odds be ever in your favor"...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraj8995 View Post
The Hunger Games is a young adult novel by American television writer and novelist Suzanne Collins.
Suzanne Collins' father was in the military and her family traveled a lot and were taught a lot of history. That is why the 3 books have numerous references to historical figures and nature. If anyone is interested in the meanings of the names and places in the books, a great source is Katniss the Cattail An Unauthorized Guide to Names and Symbols in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games by Valerie Estelle Frankel. Also does anyone know when the next movie (Catching Fire) is to come out?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
Cardstock Collector

All I know is I enjoy watching Hunger games movie.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got my August "xfinity/On Demand" flyer for August. The Hunger Games will be available on "On Demand" the same day it comes out on DVD. August 18th. I know I'll have to make a run to Target that weekend. Is it true "Catching Fire" is coming out Nov of 2013? That's a long wait.