Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Do you journal in your art journal?

I mean, do you actually write in it? Not just a phrase or two, but I mean really write down your thoughts and feelings. I find that I write on some of my pages, but others I just leave without words. It all depends on the page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm finding actual journaling to be hard, letting go and putting thoughts on paper does not come naturally for me. Often times my page only has a few stamped or cut and paste words on it. I do try to put something but what I say can be a bit sparse.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just recently gotten into art journaling, so for now I'm focused on the "art" part of it, but I have always been a journal kind a gal...beginning with teenage diaries and now online with "OhLife". I can totally see myself journaling in my art journals. I love seeing how many places within the "art" you can find to write.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I mean, do you actually write in it? Not just a phrase or two, but I mean really write down your thoughts and feelings. I find that I write on some of my pages, but others I just leave without words. It all depends on the page.
I haven't started mine yet, but I do want it to be a visual journal, not only a way of experimenting with techniques and mediums. I envision mine as almost equal parts thoughts/feelings expressed visually and verbally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mine as a sampler of techniques and media. You might consider having a few books going at once. Have one you reserve for writing important events, one for writing what's on your mind (that you maybe might not want to show to the same audience as your events journal), and one that you are allowed to mess up on, so that you can try art ideas, or catch leftover paint and ink, without worrying about messing up, or just doodle in without planning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, I write in all my journals. I love to write. I will decorate one page, write in another. All my art journals are centered around writing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

No thoughts -- just notes on what technique I tried. My art journal is my testing ground to remind of what works and OMG - that's a mess : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

and OMG - that's a mess :
:mrgreen: too funny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I'm not a journaler. Never have been. I think it's one of the reasons I've never really clicked with scrapbooking. So far my art journal is art, with the only words coming from sentiment stamps.

I've been thinking though. There's no denying that writing things out can sometimes be therapeutic. Along the lines of emails & letters written but never sent can help you come to terms with whatever. So I'm thinking that I may occasionally journal something that I need to get out/get straight in my head before I start a page. And then cover it with gesso(or something else) and go about the art part of art journaling.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #10  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I haven't done any real journaling in my books, writing my thoughts down doesn't come naturally to me either, I find myself sound kind of fake if that makes any sense? I just stamp or draw quotes, poems, or whatever else strikes my fancy I really do wish I could journal, I love how it looks!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegee7617View Post
I'm not a journaler. Never have been. I think it's one of the reasons I've never really clicked with scrapbooking. So far my art journal is art, with the only words coming from sentiment stamps.

I've been thinking though. There's no denying that writing things out can sometimes be therapeutic. Along the lines of emails & letters written but never sent can help you come to terms with whatever. So I'm thinking that I may occasionally journal something that I need to get out/get straight in my head before I start a page. And then cover it with gesso(or something else) and go about the art part of art journaling.
That sounds like a very good idea. I know of a few mixed media artists who do this. I did it with one of my pages. I covered some of the journaling, and some of it you can read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

So that's what they are referring to...!! I've seen the terms hidden and secret journaling mentioned a few times and wondered, lol.

I have started cutting out words and phrases from magazines and saving them in a zip bag. The page I'm working on now came together very quickly because I found a word and 2 phrases that worked with some doodling I had done on atc size cards. Can't show it off yet it isn't finished yet, I have learned my lesson about messing with things that aren't dry yet.

On another page I did some creative writing because while I loved how the page turned out I didn't know what to "say" on it. It may be my fav page so far, it was lots of fun letting go and just putting together silly ideas on paper:
A Mermaids life by stampin stacy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
So that's what they are referring to...!! I've seen the terms hidden and secret journaling mentioned a few times and wondered, lol.

I have started cutting out words and phrases from magazines and saving them in a zip bag. The page I'm working on now came together very quickly because I found a word and 2 phrases that worked with some doodling I had done on atc size cards. Can't show it off yet it isn't finished yet, I have learned my lesson about messing with things that aren't dry yet.

On another page I did some creative writing because while I loved how the page turned out I didn't know what to "say" on it. It may be my fav page so far, it was lots of fun letting go and just putting together silly ideas on paper:

Stacy, I love those colors and all the texture you created.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

So interesting. When I do work in my art journal (which is far less often than I THINK about working in my art journal), I journal in the background first - just a stream of consciousness, get-it-out-of-my-head exercise, and then cover it up in parts.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

far less often than I THINK about working in my art journal
I hear that!!

I put a flap on this last page along with hiding the first letters only of words I wanted to "say".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

There are many ways to hide your journaling. I sometimes add pockets to the page and journal on card or tags to stash in the pocket. You can tuck in hidden photos that way, too. Another thing I do - often I glue 2 or more pages together for added strength. All you have to do is not glue an area to make a hidden pocket between the pages and again tuck in journaling cards or ephemera, etc. I often scribble down my frustrations and paint over them. Great way to achieve release.

Many times I love my page and don't want to clutter it up with text but I really want to remember the way the page came to be - special events, certain inspiration, a unique technique that I need to remember. Hidden pockets and flaps are great!
I Blog at The BunnyNest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I prefer to use my journal as an art book. Every time I buy something new I need to learn how to use it. And I like to play with my supplies, see what works and what doesn't work. I've improved my skills just by playing in my art journal. Then, after I've finished a page, I write about it on my blog, usually just the supplies I've used, and what I learned. I actually have a relatively steady life so I don't have much I need to journal about, but I do like to add song lyrics or bits of quotes and poetry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I started my "art" journal, because I hated throwing away a beautiful hand stitched leather- bound office planner, where I could insert pages with techniques I have tried with my new stash.I could never write, feeling very shy and scared about sharing my thoughts (some are pretty frustrated ones).
But one thing I have learned while scrapbooking - it is one place where I don't have to please/impress/be perfect. This is where I let go. If I feel my unhappiness shouldn't be preserved, it's because I don't deserve it. Difficult balance - but I liked ideas of hiding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post

I like your pages I saw in your gallery. My question to you and others: Do you do the page then glue it in the journal? Or do it right on the pages in the journal? I have several books including a smash book I got on sale, to use. Don't know how to begin. Also, is a smash book more a journal? I scrapbook, and the smash book seems like double work, if it is more scrapping. I was thinking I would use it like a journal instead. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #20  
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

new here...HI! I have been wanting to dabble in mixed media..sigh...have not done much of it. I have journaled a lot in my life, not as much lately. Not sure if i would journal in a mixed media journal or not. First things first for me, I want to try a mixed media journal; my question is this....what kind of journal do you use? Is there ones with watercolor paper pages or thicker paper? It seems to me that regular notebook style paper would not be heavy enough...thanks for the help!
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!

Last edited by va.sunshine; 06-20-2014 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Thank you SMadson!

I have decided to make pages and then bind them later for my first attempts because I wasn't sure what mediums I would be using most therefore which paper type I'd need. I also have lots of partially done artwork that I'm finding I can journal on and use as well. I'm really loving the use up my stash idea in general, I had LOTS of it laying around.

I too would love to hear more about pre-bound mixed media books as I'm thinking of doing that next time, love the look of some of the 2 page spreads I've seen.

I don't know anything about smash books, sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapiyaView Post
I started my "art" journal, because I hated throwing away a beautiful hand stitched leather- bound office planner, where I could insert pages with techniques I have tried with my new stash.I could never write, feeling very shy and scared about sharing my thoughts (some are pretty frustrated ones).
But one thing I have learned while scrapbooking - it is one place where I don't have to please/impress/be perfect. This is where I let go. If I feel my unhappiness shouldn't be preserved, it's because I don't deserve it. Difficult balance - but I liked ideas of hiding.
See, this is why I'm somewhat of a hoarder! I hate throwing away things I might be able to use someday.

I had been "hoarding" some beautiful planners over several years that were hardly ever used, some never used. About a month ago I decided I'm never going to use these, they're outdated... so I threw them away. Now I'm just starting to get into art journaling, and those beautiful planners would have been PERFECT for my new obsession!!! Go figure!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
my question is this....what kind of journal do you use?
I love my Strathmore Mixed Media Journals. I have two sizes, 9x12 and something like 5x8? The paper is thick enough to take almost anything. Some things that helped me get started:
1. Use the book to catch drips and use up ink and paint from the ends of other projects. Then the pages have something on them, so it is not a big empty book looking at me. And sometimes what's there makes me think of what I want to do. I, um, accidentally bought 10 different Dylusions sprays, and tested the colors all over about 10 different pages in there. They make great backgrounds.
2. Not filling the pages in order. I generally just open it up somewhere in the middle when I want to make a new page. That way somehow I'm not trying to live up to some standard I set on prior pages.
3. Glue stuff in that you have no other place for. I put elements I made for a card but didn't use, or samples where I tried a technique, but was not making a project.
If you are a writer by nature, I'd bet you'll find yourself writing on some of them just as a matter of course.

Even if you are planning to use a journal to keep a record of your activities and life in general, you might consider having a not-for-a-purpose book around to get you going. Sometimes less is more.

Florence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #24  

Florence, What a huge help you have been....thanks so much! I really like Strathmore paper, so I will start with that....thank you again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by florencebeadsView Post
I love my Strathmore Mixed Media Journals. I have two sizes, 9x12 and something like 5x8? The paper is thick enough to take almost anything. Some things that helped me get started:
1. Use the book to catch drips and use up ink and paint from the ends of other projects. Then the pages have something on them, so it is not a big empty book looking at me. And sometimes what's there makes me think of what I want to do. I, um, accidentally bought 10 different Dylusions sprays, and tested the colors all over about 10 different pages in there. They make great backgrounds.
2. Not filling the pages in order. I generally just open it up somewhere in the middle when I want to make a new page. That way somehow I'm not trying to live up to some standard I set on prior pages.
3. Glue stuff in that you have no other place for. I put elements I made for a card but didn't use, or samples where I tried a technique, but was not making a project.
If you are a writer by nature, I'd bet you'll find yourself writing on some of them just as a matter of course.

Even if you are planning to use a journal to keep a record of your activities and life in general, you might consider having a not-for-a-purpose book around to get you going. Sometimes less is more.

Florence
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you Florence! It helps me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Okay here is my first page, which I wouldn't have done if I had't read in this forum what Florence said. Thank you!
First page of Art Journal I know it isn't very Artsy, but for me it is a start.
Also, I did journal a little. I love that motto.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Nice Sharon! How'd stenciling with Gesso go for you? I put ink through my stencils a lot, with good effect, but putting paint through is taking some practice. I saw Tim Holtz use his Distress paints with his stencils and noticed that he used a VERY little bit of paint, and applied it with a dry sponge tool. I think he put a little paint on his craft mat and then picked it up with the sponge, tapped it on scratch paper and then stenciled. I haven't tried Gesso.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by florencebeadsView Post
Nice Sharon! How'd stenciling with Gesso go for you? I put ink through my stencils a lot, with good effect, but putting paint through is taking some practice. I saw Tim Holtz use his Distress paints with his stencils and noticed that he used a VERY little bit of paint, and applied it with a dry sponge tool. I think he put a little paint on his craft mat and then picked it up with the sponge, tapped it on scratch paper and then stenciled. I haven't tried Gesso.
It didn't wok too well with the Gusso. I was trying it for one of the challenges and gave up. You notice my stars didn't come out to well. Thanks for the Tim Holtz tips. . Oh and are Gesso and embossing paste the same? Been seeing a lot of both for art journals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #29  

oh WOW this is amazing! Green is my favorite color and I sooo luv the black circles...excellent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
Okay here is my first page, which I wouldn't have done if I had't read in this forum what Florence said. Thank you!
First page of Art Journal I know it isn't very Artsy, but for me it is a start.
Also, I did journal a little. I love that motto.

Thank you.
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Sharon, that is a great page! I love how the circles work with the bicycle wheels (cool stencil, btw)! Your brush strokes created a lot of energy. I must try that. To answer your question about gesso/embossing paste, they are different media. Gesso is a type of primer, a little thicker than regular acrylic paint. Embossing paste is much thicker and creates a very thick raised look that adds dimension. Molding paste and modeling paste are other names for what is essentially the same as embossing paste. HTH, and please post more of your terrific pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Right. So you might use gesso if you want to paint with watercolors on a piece of plastic, or other nonporous surface. It adds a layer of primer that makes any surface into a porous surface that will take dyes and watercolors. It has a bit of a tooth (it's a little rough), so some people like to gesso even porous surfaces just to add the texture, for example, to color on with colored pencils. Incidentally, you can get clear and black gesso, as well, to add the porousness without the white.

Some multimedia artists like to make a background out of whatever their favorite technique is, and then gesso out a head shape in white, mostly, so the background shows through just a bit. Then they add eyes and all the facial features for an interesting effect. I will keep looking for the particular examples I'm thinking of (it's in a book, but I can't recall the name at the moment. Something like Unbounded, or Unfurled or something). In the meantime, here's a tutorial in which the artist uses clear gesso to prime a collage before painting over parts of it. Essence of Angel ? Free Art Tutorial
The Gesso allows her to draw and paint on a uniform surface, even though the collaged materials vary.
Here's one other fun gesso activity. Carla Sonheim made these creatures from a photo of a sidewalk crack: Sidewalk Cracks Make My Heart Jump |
She suggests printing the photograph and using white gesso to cover up anything in the sidewalk crack photo that is not part of your animal. Here are some excellent sidewalk photos she shares: Sidewalk Cracks | Carla Sonheim
The sidewalk cracks are fun, but I'm thinking I should do this with one of my journal pages in which I used the book to blot extra paint.
Both of those sites have great tutorials for various things, by the way.
Cheers, Florence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Found it. The example I was trying to remember is from artist Kelly Rae Roberts. Her book is called Taking Flight. Here are some images: kelly rae roberts - Google Search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

What an amazing first attempt smadson, can't wait to see what your next creations look like.

I've always wondered why one would need clear gesso but it makes perfect sense now after Florence's explanation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #34  

I ordered one of these and LUV it! great price and fabulous watercolor paper.....I can't wait to get started! Been working lots of OT, hope it slows down soon; so I will have more time to experiment!

Strathmore Visual Journals - BLICK art materials
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #35  

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought one of these at Hobby Lobby and with my 40% off coupon, it was a real bargan. I've added color to a few pages and love it! It's marketed as a mixed media journal, and I've used acrylic paint on it, and it held up great. Little or no curling of the pages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
I ordered one of these and LUV it! great price and fabulous watercolor paper.....I can't wait to get started! Been working lots of OT, hope it slows down soon; so I will have more time to experiment!

Strathmore Visual Journals - BLICK art materials

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes