12-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Join Date: Sep 2008
MIX204: Wrap It Up!
Challenge Title: Wrap It Up!My challenge for us this week is to use wrapping paper somehow in our project plus 2 or more mediums (Hey, what are mediums?).
Hostess: Dizzymommie (Janelle S)
I'm so excited to be your hostess today! Happy Friday with a new mixed media challenge! It is SO close to one holiday that we end up with TONS of wrapping paper that I felt we needed to repurpose some of it!
If you want a more of a challenge or say you don't use wrapping paper, then make some using the Shibori technique with supplies you have around the house and craft stash.
- Square piece of white printer paper, tissue paper or paper towel
- Ink refills (alcohol work best, but try what you have) OR food coloring
- small glass bowls with short sides and at least 2 inches opening
- Rubbing/isopropyl alcohol or solvent for alcohol inks
Two Simple folds
- Accordion fold, rotate 90 degrees and accordion fold to make a square. Tie with thread or thin string.
- Accordion fold, rotate 90 degrees and begin a triangle fold at one end repeating back and forth, do not fold in the same direction.
Prepare dipping solution:
- Tie with thread or thin string.
- Dilute inks or food coloring with appropriate solvent (water for water-based inks or food coloring. rubbing/isopropyl alcohol for alcohol inks). Dip each edge of the folded paper into solution repeat for saturation on lighter colors but not for darker/saturated colors.
- Make sure folded paper is saturated with coloring.
Let dry naturally but if you are like me and can't wait, carefully unfold and dry with heat tool on a protected surface.
The papers used in the photo are from the left to right 4 tissue paper, one paper towel and the last is white printer paper.
Last edited by dizzymommie; 12-23-2016 at 12:45 AM..