Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will and won't work w/IKEA Bygel railing

Very interested in installing some IKEA Bygel railings for storage of my various paper punches. From photos, am sure my SU ones will fit (looping over the railing), and hopefully others. Has anyone placed their Creative Memories punches ON TOP of these railings? Nothing to 'loop' onto the railing w/the CM ones but hoping the Bygel railings, when mounted, are close enough to the wall for the CM ones to just sit on the top. Same question re: the long, rectangular edge punches...can they be accommodated by the Bygel railings?

Trying very hard to achieve an All-At-A-Glance look for my punches. If I can't see them, I find I don't use them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Don't know. I haven't put my railings up yet but I hope they can hold them all up. Otherwise a lot of waisted space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Will be waiting to hear how it goes for you. I'll be doing the rails either way, since a lot of mine are brands that I know WILL fit. However, I have ALL of the old CM shape punches, both large and small; would love to add them to the 'wall of punches.' Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Not sure if this would work for your particular punches, but when I ran out of room on the bygel rails, I put some of the punches in these little spice rack shelves, and put some others in a hanging basket. I can see what the punches are through the mesh in the basket. There is no IKEA in my state (boo-hoo) so I couldn't just go buy another Bygel rail. Picture of what I'm talking about is attached.

P.S. Don't look at the hideous orangey color of the walls - too lazy to paint, and I figure I will eventually have enough craft stuff hanging up that no one will notice the wall color. Ha.
Attached Thumbnails
What will and won't work w/IKEA Bygel railing-punches.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Looks like a workable system. Like that you can see the punches and they are not hiding from sight. For me it's out of sight out of mind. The spice racks look good!
Natalie ~ Psalm 5:11-12
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmatuschkaView Post
Not sure if this would work for your particular punches, but when I ran out of room on the bygel rails, I put some of the punches in these little spice rack shelves, and put some others in a hanging basket. I can see what the punches are through the mesh in the basket. There is no IKEA in my state (boo-hoo) so I couldn't just go buy another Bygel rail. Picture of what I'm talking about is attached.

P.S. Don't look at the hideous orangey color of the walls - too lazy to paint, and I figure I will eventually have enough craft stuff hanging up that no one will notice the wall color. Ha.
I actually love the color orange, so the wall color doesn't bother me a bit. I too live in an IKEA-less state, but have a daughter in another state living < 20 min. from a store. She's promised to send whatever I need...as soon as I figure out what that is ! Like the pegboard idea for many things, but can't think of how I could hang all my CM punches from that, either. Don't think 'S' hooks would help.

How is everyone else out there w/Creative Memories punches displaying them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

...put some others in a hanging basket. Picture of what I'm talking about is attached.
P.S. Meant to ask, where did you get the larger black basket that's attached to the pegboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I think I got all the wire baskets from Home Depot or Lowes. My hubby framed the pegboard for me to make it look prettier and also so that there is some space between the pegboard and the wall - makes it easier to get the hooks in, etc. My one and only trip to IKEA was when I visited my daughter shortly after she moved to Boston. Sad to say that I was almost as excited about going to IKEA as I was about seeing my daughter. Too bad she has to rent a car and drive about an hour from her place to go to IKEA so I can't really ask her to get stuff for me. I also got those little spice racks from IKEA and painted them white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Some of the CM punches will set on the rail. The small ones just fall through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I think I got all the wire baskets from Home Depot or Lowes. My hubby framed the pegboard for me to make it look prettier and also so that there is some space between the pegboard and the wall - makes it easier to get the hooks in.
Thought that might be the case, but there are so many resources out there these days, figured I shouldn't assume. Thanks to your post, I've gotten my DH involved in this project, tho I suspect his offer to help has ulterior motives. Some of my soon-to-be-rendered-obsolete storage pcs I'm currently using will no doubt end up in his workshop.

Thanks for all your help on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickstuffView Post
Some of the CM punches will set on the rail. The small ones just fall through.
Thanks for your post, Quickstuff. Think I'll employ some baskets for those (and should probably take one of the small ones w/me when I shop for baskets.) Always good to be aware of things that can go wrong before beginning this overhaul.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I really like that set up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

My nearest Ikea is 4 1/2 hours from me, so I really needed to ask questions, check out message boards, see what others where doing, what I could afford at the time, etc., and I was lucky to have wall space and some desk space and a daughter who lived a hour away from Ikea that I could stay with so I didn't have to drive and shop and drive back in the same day.... yikes....

There are many things you can get to hang from the bygel rails, baskets, cute little pots, etc... so if your punches are too small to sit on the rail, they might sit in one of the the narrow baskets... my smaller SU ones do...

Ikea has tons of things that you can use for punch and craft storage... like the spice racks... They have a narrow ledge shelf for some spice jars that I wish now I would of picked up when I was there (next trip) that would be great for sitting the small punches on....

Amazon.com: Lipper International 8632 2-Tier Revolving Coffee Pod Organizer with Bamboo Base, Black: Home & Kitchen

This little basket is great for small and tiny punches. I have all my small/small SU punches going around the edges. The baskets turn easily and it sits by my computer desk and also holds stuff that I use when I work with my hands at the computer.... I love this little basket...

You'll never look at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, or any Home Improvement store the same ever again once you start looking for craft storage....lol..lol that's not a tool box... that portable craft storage on wheels... cheaper and better built. Wine Rack??? That'll hold 52 punches....

Have Fun.... Make it Fun....
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes