Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:39 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tim Holtz Mini Distress ink Tin

My mini inks are making a mess of the wooden bin they are in and I can never find the color I want. I am thinking about these tins.......but I was wondering are they flimsy? Is it worth the money? Is it annoying to always have to open the lid to get your ink pad. Does the ink pad come out easily or is it a pain to remove ink pad from tin?

Also any other suggestions for storing mini ink pads?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the mini tins. I currently have 5 arranged by color family. They'll fit any cube ink--not just Distress. You'll want to be careful not to put anything too heavy on top of them, but I wouldn't call them flimsy. I try to order from JoAnn when they have a sale because Amazon seems awfully pricey.

I also just got a couple Stackable Desktop Drawers | The Container Store--meant for storing printer paper and they also work great for inks:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my mini Distress inks and don't find them difficult to get out of the tins. I use them for other mini inks too.

My Distress inks are organized in the tins in order of the Tim Holtz chart, and the tins labeled on the side (1, 2, 3...) with color dots, so it's easy to grab the tin I want. (They're stacked on top of an Organize More ink pad storage unit.)

But I may end up following Jennifer McGuire's lead, at least with my minis from other companies: remove the tin lids and put the tins in a top Alex drawer that's next to me, or put them in a larger shallow box.

When I go to a class where we bring inks, I generally put some inks in a tin with a band around it and toss it into my tote. They rattle a bit, which is fine, but are secure.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-21-2017 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
I love the mini tins. I currently have 5 arranged by color family. They'll fit any cube ink--not just Distress. You'll want to be careful not to put anything too heavy on top of them, but I wouldn't call them flimsy. I try to order from JoAnn when they have a sale because Amazon seems awfully pricey.

I also just got a couple Stackable Desktop Drawers | The Container Store--meant for storing printer paper and they also work great for inks:
Ooh, enabling in progress... we live between two Container Stores. Do the drawers slide out easily?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Ooh, enabling in progress... we live between two Container Stores. Do the drawers slide out easily?
When I bought them, I thought the drawers would come out all the way, so I could take a whole drawer wherever I needed, but if they are able to come completely out, I haven't found the way yet. They do slide well, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you, Leah. The website states they have stops in them. I wonder if they can be carefully removed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the mini tins and use coupons to buy them at Hobby Lobby, Joanns or Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
I like the mini tins and use coupons to buy them at Hobby Lobby, Joanns or Michaels.
Same here, can't beat the price with the coupon.

I also use the old clam shell cases from SU the ones that held alphabets, they work too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I hesitated about buying the tins but then went ahead last week....love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I love my tins! Not flimsy at all!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I use old stampin up clam shell cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I found a solution that will work great for me and maybe will work for others.

I store my cubes in a drawer and I was using Sufftainers inserts but they were all smooshed together and the tops of the cubes would pop off when I tried to get them out. My requirements for drawer dividers were:

Be able to cut to fit my drawer
Can be stackable
Black so ink stains won't show
Inexpensive

My solution - jewelry drawer inserts. They are cheap, I can cut with scissors, enough room in each section to pull out the cubes, and they are black. There are other options that are cheaper but for some the shipping was too high and others took too long and I wanted them now.

The pics show what I had and what I have now. I ordered another set so I can finish. but I thought I'd share. Also, I had to cut the feet off the dew drop style pad so they would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim Holtz Mini Distress ink Tin-ink-cubes1.jpg   Tim Holtz Mini Distress ink Tin-ink-cubes2.jpg   Tim Holtz Mini Distress ink Tin-ink-cubes3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,905 Likes on 2,178 Posts

I just put mine in old clamshells too! You can get a dozen in the size I'm using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 03:31 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Great idea, Stamphappy. Glad you bumped the thread. : )

I finally decided I wanted a box or tray larger than Tim tins that could easily be taken out of a drawer when working, even though drawers are next to me, and wanted them to stack.

So I got these: https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...583&q=10069217

They don't have dividers, but that doesn't matter to me. (I just got used to dividers because of Tim tins.) Large holds 35 minis; small 15. They're stackable - large on large or two smalls on large. 2-3 high in shorter Alex drawers, and 3-4 in the taller ones. It depends on the drawer. One of my shorter drawers holds 3 stacked but the other 2. Even Alex isn't perfect.

These can also live on a table or desk and because they're stackable, don't take up much space. They slide into each other about an inch deep. And they have a narrow one too. Many types of supplies could fit into them. Not a flimsy plastic and not hard/brittle.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-08-2017 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Fixed URL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Great idea, Stamphappy. Glad you bumped the thread. : )

I finally decided I wanted a box or tray larger than Tim tins that could easily be taken out of a drawer when working, even though drawers are next to me, and wanted them to stack.

So I got these: https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...583&q=10069217

They don't have dividers, but that doesn't matter to me. (I just got used to dividers because of Tim tins.) Large holds 35 minis; small 15. They're stackable - large on large or two smalls on large. 2-3 high in shorter Alex drawers, and 3-4 in the taller ones. It depends on the drawer. One of my shorter drawers holds 3 stacked but the other 2. Even Alex isn't perfect.

These can also live on a table or desk and because they're stackable, don't take up much space. They slide into each other about an inch deep. And they have a narrow one too. Many types of supplies could fit into them. Not a flimsy plastic and not hard/brittle.
These look great - TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought a project case at Michaels a few years back, added some cardstock to the bottom to raise the pads up, and scored cardstock for the rows. There are 60 pads in it, and it is easy to see what is available. I can't guarantee that the project case they sell now is the same one (the case is 1 1/2" in height.). It is finally out of any space for more mini pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Very nice. And pretty colors! I love that this thread has multiple solutions for our multiple brains. (Though just one brain per person.)

Part of the reason I had trouble finding something I liked is that hinged boxes give me agida, since they double the size of the box. Not Tim's tins, since they're small, but I wanted something bigger since the non-Distress mini stash is growing. (I'm not sure if I'll keep Distress inks in the tins - they're sorted by his color chart order.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Tim Holtz and they are fine but I like this larger tray too. I guess I would pry the lid off and put it in one of my 12X12 cubby drawer. I actually have four of these larger trays. I never thought about putting bumpers inside them and storing ink. Great idea.

Odd thing. I went to Joann's today and they have taken all the Tim Holtz stuff including the Distress inks, Distress glitter, paint daubers, all his ephemera etc. and dumped it into bins and marked it as clearance. I was so surprised. They had Ranger ink and other Ranger branded products but all the the TH stuff was on clearance far away from the stamping stuff. I asked the stocker and he said they are not going to be carrying much of his stuff anymore. I called a friend out of state and she said she had heard from one of her LSS customers that it was happening at their Joann's also. Seems odd. No more TH tins with a coupon there. Oh and they have started carrying a bunch of color layering Hero Arts stuff. It's the first time I've seen anything new in our store for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2017, 03:46 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Now that I've used them for a little while, part of the reason I like the Container Store ones (post #14) is real estate: these smaller boxes can be put in front or to the side of me. Plus they're secure with a low profile, nestling an inch into the one below.

If drawers aren't available, because they stack as high as needed, they can sit on a shelf or workspace taking up minimal room. I'm still undecided about whether to move the Distress inks from Tim tins. They're handy and in order, but far fewer inks can fit in a drawer because they stack higher than the Container Store boxes. Right now they're stacked on top of my Organize More 48-ink holder. They fit up there okay but aren't quite as convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used chocolate candy boxes and lids as shallow trays for my ink cubes to slip in my drawers. Keeps my inks from sliding around in the drawer and I can lift them out to select an ink pad easily.

I have also used the SU clam shells too.

Currently I have my Tim Holtz distress inks in the Iris brand 4x6" photo cases. I got them at Michaels/Joanns. (about $1 a piece). They are a little deep for the distress ink cubes and they were sliding around a bit with the lids popping open so I used rainbow loom bands to hold the inks closed. They work pretty well. Hold 12 per case. (link is just for illustration - price on Amazon is $$$).

https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Photo-Em...DYE65NXJ26GE6D

I may yet get the Tim Holtz brand cases. They look very good. I like that the inks don't slide around in them.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencer99View Post
Currently I have my Tim Holtz distress inks in the Iris brand 4x6" photo cases. I got them at Michaels/Joanns. (about $1 a piece). They are a little deep for the distress ink cubes and they were sliding around a bit with the lids popping open so I used rainbow loom bands to hold the inks closed. They work pretty well. Hold 12 per case. (link is just for illustration - price on Amazon is $$$).

https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Photo-Em...DYE65NXJ26GE6D

I may yet get the Tim Holtz brand cases. They look very good. I like that the inks don't slide around in them.
Thank you for sharing these. I've been looking for a way to store my regular size gelatos and I have a couple of these containers. They work great for the gelatos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also thanks for sharing the loom band thing. I have another brand of cubes where the lids so totally fall off that no storage system could work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to buy a new Tim Holtz tin for my small ink spots and I couldn't find any at Hobby Lobby or even see a spot where they were housed. Anyone know if they still carry them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparcl77View Post
I tried to buy a new Tim Holtz tin for my small ink spots and I couldn't find any at Hobby Lobby or even see a spot where they were housed. Anyone know if they still carry them?
They're on the website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I saw this on instagram. This will hold 28 mini pads per drawer.

Moved Permanently

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMsQXcAD...icafrostballas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post

Moved Permanently

That looks cool - do you think it would be hard to get the cubes out of the drawers? I took my dividers out of my TH tins so I could get them out easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

The tins are on sale at Joann.com for $3.49 right now. And there's a coupon for free shipping with $35 purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Moved Permanently

Thank you for the heads up on these drawers. I have so many small cubes other than the distress. I found them on Amazon and placed my order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
Thank you for the heads up on these drawers. I have so many small cubes other than the distress. I found them on Amazon and placed my order.
Great! Please let us know how you like it and how well the ink fits. Like stamphappy1650 asked, we would like to know how difficult it is to get inks in/out. From the Instagram photo, it looks like it could be a tight fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Great! Please let us know how you like it and how well the ink fits. Like stamphappy1650 asked, we would like to know how difficult it is to get inks in/out. From the Instagram photo, it looks like it could be a tight fit.
The drawer unit arrived yesterday. I put my Altenew cubes in one of the drawers. There is space left in each row so I can slide the cubes to get them out that does not allow for another cube. 28 Altenew cubes fit in one drawer. I put my Memento dew drops in and of course easy to get them out. I think I will be very happy with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 04:41 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

The drawer unit arrived yesterday. I put my Altenew cubes in one of the drawers. There is space left in each row so I can slide the cubes to get them out that does not allow for another cube. 28 Altenew cubes fit in one drawer. I put my Memento dew drops in and of course easy to get them out. I think I will be very happy with this.
It may not matter for the drawers being discussed, but Distress minis are the barest bit wider than other minis. I didn't notice until fitting them into one of my containers (not the drawer unit). Hero Arts Shadow and Altenew minis fit one more across than Distress minis. There's almost but not quite enough room for another Distress mini. Of course that means plenty of space between them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Awesome... one more thing, can you link to the one you purchased? Amazon has several different kinds. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Awesome... one more thing, can you link to the one you purchased? Amazon has several different kinds. Thanks!
Sorry for the delay but just saw this. This is the one I ordered. Hope this helps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I love the Tim Holtz Mini Distress Inks. HOWEVER, I've also noticed that some of the lids don't fit tightly. So when I took them out of their original packaging, I opened each one. If the lid was loose when I put it back on, I put a tiny piece of blue painter's tape on 2 sides to hold it closed. That way I can loosen one side, use it, and then refasten the tape, and no leakage. I keep mine in the Iris Keeper Series. It's a large clear plastic container which holds 16 4x6 Iris Cases. Each 4x6 case holds 12 1x1 stamp pads. I LOVE this system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to buck the tide here and say I bought one of the tins to try out and found that in grabbing the pad, I often ended up pulling off the lid and leaving the pad behind. It annoyed me enough that I don't use the insert in the tin.

It's much better than having them loose in something, rattling around, but I wasn't as in love as I wanted to be. Just my two cents. And maybe it's me. Maybe I'm too much of a klutz. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I'm going to buck the tide here and say I bought one of the tins to try out and found that in grabbing the pad, I often ended up pulling off the lid and leaving the pad behind. It annoyed me enough that I don't use the insert in the tin.

It's much better than having them loose in something, rattling around, but I wasn't as in love as I wanted to be. Just my two cents. And maybe it's me. Maybe I'm too much of a klutz. ;)
I also took out the insert so I could easily remove the pads. I still like the tins because they fit in the space I want to use but I do think they are a little pricey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

OT Newer mini cube lids will fit tighter. I'm loosely paraphrasing, but Tim mentioned in a video at a demo how he liked the looser fit since he could grab a cube and use it one-handed without having to pry a lid off with his other hand, but that since people complained it was changed. People at the demo laughed - he might have said something like "since you guys complained," in his normal humorous style.

I like them loose. Other than the time I dropped an large open box of them and cubes flew all over the room, that is. That was months ago and I found a cube - with lid on, luckily - in my large stamp bin. I had been so sure I had that color and wondered where it went.

Lids don't pop off when stored, though I don't stack them, and if taking some with me, they're just banded with small sized, narrow, flat Plastibands - thinner than rubber bands, or I put them in a Tim tin.
Reply With Quote Likes