Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 12-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #41
Inking Addict

I too am a visual person but do keep an inventory of stamps, dies, embossing folders, punches, color swatches, stencils. All are in (5) 5x7 notebooks, divided by theme. I have been known to duplicate in the past so this helps me. I am pretty good about recording; (copy package image on my printer) and hole punch page and insert in the proper notebook as I am receiving items. I use the books often, not every time I make something but I like to plan it out with the various papers, or trims before I start the card or project. I have a small work space in my craft room so I have to keep everything pretty organized..I am OCD anyway!!! Before I go to a trade show, I make a list of what I am looking for..I have an on-going shopping needs/wants list and that helps with the spending also. I also check my books before I purchase to see what I have that might be similar to that new stamp or die that I just think I have to have and really could use what I have!!!!!

Eloise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Brenda71 and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Unread 12-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Really nice, Sue. Do you note which is pigment, dye and if you keep them with the others, Distress?

And Shaz, of course it makes more sense if you write P for pigment, you don't have to write D for dye. : D
Craf-T-Bear likes this post.
Unread 12-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Eloise, do you copy a stamp set more than once if it fits into more than one theme? Or just the main one?
Unread 12-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #44
Proud Fan Club Member

The only pigment ink I have is Versafine in two colors - black and sepia - so there's really no need to mark it. I do note the Distress Inks as such, though...

Unread 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

After I retired in 2008, I quit using any word processing or spreadsheet/database programs on my computer. So, when I needed to come up with a method of inventory for my stamps and my dies (for insurance AND for not buying them again!!!), I did the simplest thing I could think of. And it has worked beautifully for me. I keep it all in folders on my computer hard drive and Carbonite auto-backs it up. For my stamps, I have one parent folder and then a sub-folder for each stamp company. I save or scan a photo of each stamp, the file name is the stamp name. The way they are stored is by theme, though, so I have another sub-folder called THEMES that has sub-folders for each theme category (Animals, Asian, Christmas, People, etc.). I store 99% of my stamps in CD cases that are stamped on the outside what is inside. I've scanned each of them and that is what goes into the theme category sub-folders. If you are still with me, what I've created is a double-checking system that helps me look up what I have quickly by theme or by company. I buy all my stamps online, so nothing needed to take anywhere with me. I have no idea how many stamps I own, but I've outgrown a CD book case that holds 500 cd's, and if I had room for another one I could probably fill it halfway. I have way too many stamps, but I do know what I have and where I can find it quickly!
My Paper Paisleys Art Blog
gregzgurl, mcw519, DianeinSparks and 1 others like this post.
Unread 12-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

Question regarding insurance: I break up my sets and give away the stamps I know I won't use, resulting in MANY partial sets. How would insurance be determined on those? Figure out what percentage of the set I still have and multiply the value of the set by that percentage? Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance...

Unread 12-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a very basic Word document with categories for dies, stencils, and embossing folders sub-divided by brandname, and then inks, stains, sprays, etc. sub-divided by colour. I email it to myself when I update it so can always access it on my phone when shopping and go to the relevant section to check if I've already bought something. For some reason, I can remember the stamps I own, but not the other supplies!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
DianeinSparks and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Unread 12-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #48
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to Craf-T-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy H View Post
I don't have any kind of inventory. Maybe I should - but I am afraid that I wouldn't keep it up and it would be worthless.

I'm right there with ya!

The "You Matter Project" Thread http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...g-t606793.html
BRAK Committee Member http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...committee-f97/
WISH RAK Committe Member http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/wish-rak-f100/
S/O Pay-It-Forward (USA) http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t553128.html
SCS~ I'd Just Like To Say Thread http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...y-t478153.html

Unread 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #49
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I have all of my inks together, as well. I have them grouped by color (all the greens together, all the reds, etc.) so that I can see at a glance which is closest to what I'm wanting at that moment. I use trading card pages for stamps and papers, but for inks I have a 10-page, pre-bound booklet of 5.5" x 8.5" page protectors that I made inserts for:

I did that for my Spectrums:

and other markers, as well:

This is the index that I use pretty much every time I'm making anything...

Sue ~ Where did you find these charts?

The "You Matter Project" Thread http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...g-t606793.html
WISH RAK Committe Member http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/wish-rak-f100/
SCS~ I'd Just Like To Say Thread http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...y-t478153.html

Bohodiva likes this post.
Unread 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craf-T-Bear View Post
Sue ~ Where did you find these charts?
I made them on my computer - Excel, I think... If you want me to, I can go a-lookin' to see if I saved them...

Unread 12-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #51
Mad Swapper

Surprisingly, as a list lover, I don't keep an inventory. I can see all my stamps quickly and easily and even though they are broken-up sets and grouped by theme, I write the name of the set or stamp on the block so I can reference it if I need to. ( I only have wood mounted stamps as I like it better that way.) I do keep a color chart of the inks I have, mostly for seeing which colors will go together. It is in a small notebook made of a disk binding system, which allowed me to take pages out to put the colors up against each other IRL.
Attached Thumbnails
color-charts.jpg  
Brenda71, Craf-T-Bear and Bohodiva like this post.
Unread 12-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #52
Proud Fan Club Member

I use Evernote, love it! I mainly keep my stamps, dies, embossing folders, techniques, orders of supplies, and color charts with swatches crossed out of watercolors and paints I have purchased if only a partial set. If I have the entire collection the chart goes in with nothing crossed off. I find it's just a waste of time to put everything in, and I'd go crazy!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Unread 12-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #53
Kookie Creator

When I first got into stamping I cataloged my stamps, punches, markers, etc... I still have a binder of unmounted rubber which I seldom use... I gave up the practice years ago. Now I just shop my room. I have a mental catalog of what I have and If I need something I jot it down on a shopping/wishlist and cross the item off when I purchase it... I rather spend my time creating instead of cataloging.
Unread 12-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #54
Kookie Creator

I continue to swatch out my coloring mediums on 8.5" x 11" cardstock which I slide into sheet protectors. They are keep on a large binder ring and hung on the side of one of my raskog carts where i keep my mini ink pads, watercolors, markers and embellishments. Having those color charts on hand are very helpful and I refer to them often.
Annecards likes this post.
Unread 12-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #55
Kookie Creator

Is it okay to say I am sick to death of organizing and just want to make cards this year?
TexasGrammy, Craf-T-Bear, kazooMI and 3 others like this post.
Unread 12-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #56
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
I continue to swatch out my coloring mediums on 8.5" x 11" cardstock which I slide into sheet protectors. They are keep on a large binder ring and hung on the side of one of my raskog carts where i keep my mini ink pads, watercolors, markers and embellishments. Having those color charts on hand are very helpful and I refer to them often.
In addition to the single color swatches, I will swatch out my favorite color combinations like Tim Holtz when he introduced new ink colors to his distress line. It saves me time when I sit down to create.
Unread 12-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #57
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannemlehrman View Post
Is it okay to say I am sick to death of organizing and just want to make cards this year?
LOL - that sounds great! I love to organize... too much. I need to spend more time creating, and less time organizing (or reading about organizing... or shopping for organizational tools... or watching "craft room tour" YouTube videos...)
jlesli, Brenda71, stamphappy1650 and 2 others like this post.
Unread 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #58
Kookie Creator

This has been a good day. In case you haven't heard IKEA, USA is having their Winter Sale. I was there this morning to pick up a table top and legs to add as a bridge between my workstations... I set it up and I like it much better... now my workstation desk wrap around the walls... I luv IKEA

www.ikea.com/us/en/
Brenda71 likes this post.
Unread 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #59
Gabfest Goddess

I just love the commercial that IKEA brought back for the sale. Cracks me up!
stamphappy1650 and Annecards like this post.
Unread 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #60
Kookie Creator

I keep an up-to-date inventory in Evernote. I have too many double purchases not to. It was time consuming getting it set up but, it was worth it. I no longer purchase stuff I already have and...when it came time to work on wedding invitation ideas with my nephew...I opened up Evernote...looked up the dies he was interested in and I could show a picture of the die. Vunderbar!!!!

I have all my wafer dies, steel dies, embossing folders etc. and now I have to list my stamps and I am done. It is also a really good way to weed out what I have not used and probably never will to place in a "sell" pile.

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Brenda71 and Annecards like this post.
Unread 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #61
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I made them on my computer - Excel, I think... If you want me to, I can go a-lookin' to see if I saved them...
That would be wonderful Sue! I don't know anything about Excel or spreadsheets and stuff like that. But, I do love your charts. They look soooooooo organized.

Unread 01-05-2017, 04:42 AM   #62
Proud Fan Club Member

Default I found this video interesting, for anyone interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I keep an up-to-date inventory in Evernote. I have too many double purchases not to. It was time consuming getting it set up but, it was worth it. I no longer purchase stuff I already have and...when it came time to work on wedding invitation ideas with my nephew...I opened up Evernote...looked up the dies he was interested in and I could show a picture of the die. Vunderbar!!!!

I have all my wafer dies, steel dies, embossing folders etc. and now I have to list my stamps and I am done. It is also a really good way to weed out what I have not used and probably never will to place in a "sell" pile.
I love Evernote!
I've raved about Evernote many times, and noted the other apps I've used in the past. I'm not good at putting the reasons Evernote surpasses apps such as OneNote, but found a video for those who are interested comparing the two I found interesting. IMHO Evernote surpasses OneNote and other apps like Excel in ease of use, interface, mobility, OCR and search function. Evernote's free version is great if one has a small inventory to upload, but I do find the premium version reasonably priced for all that it offers in ease of operation and convenience. Evernote's search functions surpasses OneNote hands down!
Here's the video comparing OneNote and Evernote's strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by Annecards; 01-05-2017 at 04:58 AM..
Brenda71, StamperDea and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 01-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

I have both, and have to say that Evernotes big downfall for me is when I try to move images around a page. I can do that easily in One Note, and place the image wherever I want, so I can put multiple images on one page, at a reasonable size. Although Evernote has now added the function to change the size of an image, the lack of that I found it's biggest failing, I still cannot move images around my page to line them up.
I want to be able to create pages that have multiple stamps from one manufacturer on, and unless I'm missing something, and thats quite possible, I don't find that easy to do in Evernote. I love that I can apply tags in Evernote, which I can't in One Note, so would love to use only that, but it's the need to move images around easily which is bugging me.
jlesli likes this post.
Unread 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #64
Insane Embellisher

I have catalogs of stamps, inks and diecuts and use them ALL. THE. TIME! I am very visual and have a lot of supplies. I agree with all the statements that indexing is time consuming etc, but for me it is worth every single second of my time.

In the fall we took a mini vacation and I had all my Copics, but forgot my color charts. It was like I was paralyzed and couldn't choose colors by looking at the marker covers. I finally found an old color chart down in the bottom of my bag and then I could color again. It sounds stupid even to me, but I guess it is how my brain functions.

I love the idea of storing stamps in stamp pockets but I have mine all stored in CD cases (properly protected) and for the most part it works for me. I keep reading how everyone flips through all of their pockets to find what they are looking for, but I know that would not work for me. I could not look through all of my stamps every time. I have to be able to look through an index and then simply pull the set I am looking for from my alphabetized shelf. I am sure I could somehow set up the pockets in the same way, but so far haven't been able to think through how that would work.
Unread 01-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie* View Post
I love the idea of storing stamps in stamp pockets but I have mine all stored in CD cases (properly protected) and for the most part it works for me. I keep reading how everyone flips through all of their pockets to find what they are looking for, but I know that would not work for me. I could not look through all of my stamps every time. I have to be able to look through an index and then simply pull the set I am looking for from my alphabetized shelf. I am sure I could somehow set up the pockets in the same way, but so far haven't been able to think through how that would work.
I couldn't/wouldn't want to flip through all of my pockets either. Mine are sorted by theme with plastic dividers (like Jennifer McGuire's) in between. So there's a category for geometrics, leaves/trees, florals, animals, etc, Some are subdivided. If a stamp could be in more than one area I make a copy and stick the copy in the second area.

But you could set up an alphabetical system, with the label/notation on the pocket corresponding to your index. But i may be/probably am missing something!

OTOH if your current system works, why change? : )
Unread 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #66
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I couldn't/wouldn't want to flip through all of my pockets either. Mine are sorted by theme with plastic dividers (like Jennifer McGuire's) in between. So there's a category for geometrics, leaves/trees, florals, animals, etc, Some are subdivided. If a stamp could be in more than one area I make a copy and stick the copy in the second area.

But you could set up an alphabetical system, with the label/notation on the pocket corresponding to your index. But i may be/probably am missing something!

OTOH if your current system works, why change? : )
I agree totally! If you're happy with your system, personally, I think it's just important to have one that works for you. I can't tell you how many times having one has saved me money! When you have lots of stamps, dies, embossing folders, and such it's easy to forget what you already have, especially a senior like me . I love that we share our likes and dislikes of our experience with systems and various apps! I just love sharing what I love about mine, and get so excited I forget to put the "what works for you" in my posts.

Last edited by Annecards; 01-05-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #67
Insane Embellisher

My system does work for me, but it is not without its flaws. The pockets look so neat and compact. If I were a "newbie" I would see pockets as being a great option to consider.
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #68
Pearl-ExPert

My take is every system has its flaws or gaps. I was lucky; before I started organizing I watched videos, and stumbled upon one Jennifer McGuire. So it's how I began, like you said, as a newbie.

But the tiny oddball stamps included in so many sets are a challenge. I seem to use them a lot. I might create a new bin category for "teenies," make copies of sets that have them, and put just the copies in the new bin section with a notation of what themed section the stamp sets are in.
Brenda71 and gregzgurl like this post.
Unread 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #69
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craf-T-Bear View Post
That would be wonderful Sue! I don't know anything about Excel or spreadsheets and stuff like that. But, I do love your charts. They look soooooooo organized.
I looked at old flash drives and other places where I might have saved them, to no avail. I can start from scratch if you have your heart set on having some...

Unread 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #70
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Quote:
I looked at old flash drives and other places where I might have saved them, to no avail. I can start from scratch if you have your heart set on having some...
You're a sweetheart!

And speaking of old flash drives ... anyone got a good way of keeping them together and organizing which is what???

Time to clean out unloved stamps & stuff? There's always someone looking for treasures in our Buy/Sell Forum!
Unread 01-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #71
Proud Fan Club Member

I use my P-touch to label them and keep them in one of the smallest Really Useful Boxes...

Unread 01-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #72
Embossing Fanatic

I just take photos of my craft storage boxes, what's in each drawer, etc and have the pictures on both my pc and tablet.
lynnewithane and arlenevita like this post.
Unread 01-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #73
Gabfest Goddess

I do like to stamp my inks on charts so it's easier to match inks with papers, etc. I have Sandy Allnock's Hex Chart for my Copic markers and that is fabulous for checking colors and to know that I DON'T need to buy certain colors because I have a color that is close enough. I do have a chart of my Tombow markers and Spectrum Noir markers, too, so I can easily find the colors that I need without testing them. Keeping track of anything else would be more time consuming than going through my stamps and embossing folders that are sorted by theme. Dies are loosely sorted by theme. Stencils are all kept together in one big plastic pocket folder. I like going through my stuff, usually, to remind me of what I have.
jeanne3579 likes this post.
Unread 01-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #74
Gabfest Goddess

New Scrapbooking Inventory Form: Washi Tape Inventory Form - Kat's Adventures in paper crafting...

I use Kathleen Drigger's free charts to stamp my inks onto.

You can also go to Jennifer McQuire's website to download her free ink charts that you stamp onto. She has most of the ink companies and ink names already on her charts. I have started using these because I like the idea of having all the reds together, all the blues, etc....but it is a work in progress.

Complete Ink Swatch Book Downloads - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Unread 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #75
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
You're a sweetheart!

And speaking of old flash drives ... anyone got a good way of keeping them together and organizing which is what???
I bought a little case on Amazon that holds my flash drives. It has elasticize slots for them, and it zips closed. Of course, like everything else, it's overflowing. Since I retired, I should go through and delete a bunch of stuff. Then maybe I can label with my new ptouch, as gregzgurl suggested.
gregzgurl likes this post.
Unread 01-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #76
SCS RAK Coordinator

I use good old excel to track pretty much everything. I was buying too many duplicates before I started keeping an inventory. And yes, I do use it. If I fail to use it, I pay the price, quite literally. It is epsecially useful at conventions or shows.
Some companies (copic and ranger) have put out apps to track inventory on your phone. I have had some technical issues with both of those (probably user error) so I still fall back on excel as my standard.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery