Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Stamp Storage Panels Good Option for reorganizing?

Hi SCS, I'm relatively new to posting here, but visit occasionally to learn things here. I've read through a lot of posts about stamp organization and have seen a lot of great ideas. I know that stamp organization seems to be ever-evolving. In the short time that I've been crafting, I've amassed a great collection of wood mount stamps (many PSX), cling and acrylic stamps...I just love them!

I see so many 'systems' out there...the Avery Elle pockets, the Ez Mount Panels, CD cases and now SU new cases. So much to choose from. I started to implement what I call the flip system that Jennifer McGuire featured on her blog as many folks have; until I realized that the pockets would not accommodate cling stamps so well. I have some clear stamps (Inkadinkado and mini stamps) in binders. The last time I reorganized my stamps (when my collection was smaller), I used the SU DVD cases for clear and cling, however, several of the cases have warped with the clear stamps in them and/or they don't stay closed with my clings stamps in them, so I'm looking to move them to something else. I also found that those cases caused some of my HA cling stamp foam to shrink away from the rubber stamp (anyone else have this problem?). Can anyone explain why the stamp cases are warping? I was seriously thinking about SU's new cases, but worry they'll do the same thing.

So now, I'm looking to utilize the stamp panels for both my cling and acrylic stamps and use the Avery Elle pockets for my dies instead. I've looked at the binder cases as well, however, my question is this: Can I use the stamp panels for both my cling and clear stamps, but use them in a flip system without encasing the panels in a binder or case? Do the stamps stay on the panels well? After a while, do the stamps fall off and is there a chance of losing stamps without putting it in a case. I have limited storage, so using a case would take space. If using panels in a flip system, would I need to put something between each panel to protect the stamps on the back side? I look forward to any advice you folks can offer (and pictures are good too). Thanks everyone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I noticed that you haven't received any answers to your question yet. I don't use the panels, but maybe a little info is better than none. I've completely changed out my system and don't have pictures, but I used to use laminated cardstock for my unmounted rubber (with two-way glue on the back) and photopolymer stamps. I wanted to make sure that no stamps got lost, so I did put them inside page protectors - originally in binders, but then in a "flip system", as you're referring to. I only put stamps on one side of each sheet, because I wanted to put a stamped index sheet on the other side for reference. If that answers your question, I'm glad. If not, ask away and I'll see if I can help. Maybe someone who does use the panels will chime in, as well. Welcome, by the way! You'll love it here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I can't explain why the cases warp, but I can offer input as to the HA stamps and their "shrinking foam".

I have a bunch of HA stamps and they all shrink away from the rubber. I'm pretty sure it's not the foam itself...but the plastic that they used to put the image on. It causes the whole thing to warp into a bowl shape, and it doesn't really stick well at all. I have to use tape to make most of them stick. I just need to take the rubber off and put it on EZ Mount. I've seen in other threads where HA has replaced those stamps for people, but unless they change the way they do things, the new ones won't be any different.

As for using the panels...I assume that you're talking about the ones that come from the company that makes EZMount. I have some. They stay on there really well. But they don't fit what I have for my storage (my drawers). I really like Sue's idea about putting the panels in the page protector to prevent any potential loss.

I just laminate the proper size of cardstock and use that for my panel.

And the one thing that is an absolute for me is that I do *not* have different storage systems for my stamps. They have to be all together.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I suppose I should clarify just a bit - I still use laminated cardstock like Diane, just not the same size and not in binders or a "flip system". We just moved and everything is still packed, so I can't even take pictures if I want to. Also like Diane, all of my different types of stamps co-mingle happily together. I do have two systems, though - binders for alphabets and oversize/background stamps, the new file system for everything else... Oh - and the reason my system has similarities to Diane's is because it's based off of hers. She's something of an organizational guru ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 02:35 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone else here who recommends laminating your own cardstock. That way you can have panels at any size to suit you and your stamps. You can get a laminator on Amazon for around $20, and I get packs of laminating pouches from my Pound (Dollar) store. If you need a lot of sheets( don't we all), this is a much more cost effective way of doing it, even if you stick to standard size A4.
Re the HA problem, I would say that its not exclusive to them, and over time seems to be something that happens with EZ mount foams in general. I have stamps I bought U/M, and mounted onto foam myself 10 or so years ago, and I have quite a few that suffer from the dreaded cupping. I have gradually been removing them from the foam, and reverting back to completely unmounteds, adding Tack it over and over to the backs. Also, this takes up less storage space!
My storage sheets are in standard A4 ring binders, by the way, with a stamped index sheet in a document pocket in front.Are Stamp Storage Panels Good Option for reorganizing?-img_7493-w.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Thank you everyone for the great ideas so far! I was beginning to wonder with so many views, but no responses. Thank you Sue, I appreciate it...as it gets the ball rolling. I think I was on your blog (I think it was yours?) the other night reading your stamp organization. Special thanks to Diana & Silverwolf for explaining the issue with the HA stamps. I have 6 background stamps that have shrunk and I think I've have only had them a couple of years. I do have some two new packs of cling foam I picked up that I may need to remount them.

Another thought I had about stamp panels is creating my own (non-laminating), but I'm not sure if they would be good for the stamps. I have a ton of the Cropper Hopper paper dividers that come with the paper holders, but I'm not using them. I cut one up in the size I wanted and stuck a couple of the clings mount to it. So far, a few have held well (like the Inkadinkado green cling with the super tacky back), but others not so well. The dividers are a clear frosted matte flexible plastic, so they're not as sturdy as the white panels; however, I like that I can see the design through it. Any reason I couldn't use these as a substitute and then add them to page protectors? I thought it would be a way to use a ton of those dividers I have, and have an instant index for those that have the image on the stamp; for those without, I could stamp directly on the clear divider.

Yes, I am seriously considering the laminating method as well and have been looking at various sites, which brings me to this question: Which is better, heat-laminate or cold-laminate for making home-made stamp panels? Or does it matter? For stability is it better to use thin chipboard versus cardstock? Or what weight of cardstock to use...I think I read someone uses 110# weight. Also, I do have a bunch of larger binders I could utitlize to do full-size sheets, but binders can unweilding. As Diane noted, this is why I'm researching my options because I want to have my clear & clings stamps centralized as much as I can; my wood mounts are in flat files...and overflowing into baskets, but they have a home. I think once I get the stamps in their respective storage, then the key to all of it is the inventory. I've been playing with Evernote since seeing it mentioned here...I've been playing with it for last couple of days. Is there a good list of categories types here that I can check out? Thanks everyone...all of your information is super helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

THe problem with what you use for storage is that there are certain materials that are harmful to either the EZ Mount or the photopolymer, or both.

Here's the thread that speaks to the photopolymer issue:
Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage by Candida at Splitcoaststampers

As for the cling mounted rubber, you should never use acetate for storage. There has been lots of discussion concerning that one. As for EZ Mount itself, I'm sure that their storage panels are the only ones that they would give any kind of guarantee concerning safety.
http://www.amazon.com/EZMount-Stamp-.../dp/B009OHOLX2

As for stiffness, I find that using a half sheet of the Georgia Pacific 110 pound cardstock in a Royal Sovereign heat laminated pouch makes a storage panel that is plenty stiff. That's my method, by the way.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I use the storage panels in binders for my larger stamps - my concern with the flip system would be that the panels would eventually be at angles to each other rather than flat, which might create uneven pressure on some of the stamp surfaces. Maybe I'm overthinking that. The binders work for me.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had my stamps on half-sheets of GP cardstock (no idea what weight - whatever they sell cheap at Walmart), laminated with THIS. I had them in THESE and then in THESE (only white). This system worked really, REALLY well for me, but I needed a more consolidated/portable method for our move across the country (we only moved what would fit in our car - everything else got sold or mailed). I still have this method for the alphabets and backgrounds, as previously mentioned...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My laminator is a heat one, and I just use any regular cardstock- I think its about 100gsm weight, not too fussy, just as long as it feels fairly rigid is all I worry about. I have stamp storage panels I bought, and all they were was a laminated sheet with the makers name on, which is what made me think to do my own. Fionna's advice about acetate is a good one- there is plenty said on the net about acetate damaging clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Mine is not an easy method, but it is effective. I saw this on youtube, but can't remember where. If you don't have a sewing machine, this won't matter to you.

I store my stamps in binders. I insert a sheet of heavy weight cardstock into a heavy weight sheet protector. I then sew the sheet protector in half vertically and horizontally to form 4 pockets on the front and four pockets on the back. I use a craft knife to make slits at the tops of the lower pockets. This holds eight stamps and, because of the card stock, the pages don't flop around. If the stamps are larger than the 1/4 size pockets, I just sew one line horizontally across the sheet protector and make the slits so there are 2 pockets on each side.

For the red rubber stamps, I stamp the image on paper and insert it inside the pocket. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Thanks, I will check over those links as well. I've read several threads, but it does get a bit overwhelming to keep track of it.

Sue, I know exactly what you mean about your move! I did it 10 years ago from Oregon to Arizona and absolutely hated it and regret getting rid of some things. I think if I ever had to do it again, I'd just rent a storage and do it my own way. I will check out the Royal Laminator (although 'royal' is a bad word at this time...NorCal here...orange & black!!! LOL). I do have the Staples sheet protector's, as well as the Staples Mini Better Binders (Love 'em!), but it seems you can only put about 4 sheets per binder in them...more binders, more storage...limited space.

It good to know that laminators aren't very expensive these days. In fact, I saw some thick Purple Cow ones at Michael's today and they were quite thick and they weren't too badly priced.

Debbie, I do have some stamps in the baseball card holders, as well as some currency holders (3 page) which I got two full boxes at the thrift store, and some of the Martha Stewart various shaped page protectors, but I was trying to avoid large binders...but maybe I just use those for clear stamps (use what I have) and keep the clings on the storage panels.

Good point Dini. The thought hadn't occurred to me...which brings me to a question about my wood stamps. Should those be stored upright or are they okay to lay flat and stack on top of each other? I have the Martha Stewart Craft furniture flat files and I have four drawers of wood mounts two (and sometimes three) layers deep. I've seen a lot of people store them both ways, but never would've questioned the amount of pressure and its' effect on the rubber.

Wow...this subject seems to be the never-ending quest for the perfect solution. Again, thank you everyone for your help tips, expertise and ideas, which are quite helpful.

Last edited by randellyn; 10-21-2014 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I use VHS and CD cases and love this system. Before that it was binders. I understand about cases not staying closed, but I've found that is because I have too many sets in one. I prefer the long CD cases over the others. I glue a sheet of magnet on one side if needed and store the stamp and matching die in one case. I have several hundred on shelves above my work table and am happily satisfied (YEAH!) that I have found the system for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Are Stamp Storage Panels Good Option for reorganizing?-attachment.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I use Crafter's companion laminate sheets but another company makes them too, in 8 1/2 x 11 size. They come tabbed or not. I use both.

I get 3 inch D binders at Costco 2/8 something. I like the D rings better-I think they hold more than traditional circle rings. Much cheaper than office supply stores. What I like about them is I can store any size stamp, cling or clear. I use lightweight stock to do index on either side of the laminate page. I have also noticed some red rubber "bleeds" a bit-I guess on humid days and the index catches that. I do not stamp on both sides of an index. Each one is it's own so if I have to re-org them I can just pull the laminate and the two pages. Which I have had to do often as the collection grew.

If you wanted to do a flip system in full sized pages, you could use a file box type thing...depends on how many stamps you have or how much room for growth you want to allow for. I'm thinking the tabbed laminates would work sideways like a file drawer?

I find they get heavy if I put a lot of stamps on them so I personally would not trust a self laminate that didnt have a cardboard core but that is totally just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I know some people have used Ziploc bags in place of the avery elle pouches and find they work well. you will need something sturdy in the bags to make sure they stay upright, whether that be commercially available stamp panels or self made laminated card sheets.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I went to Home Depot, bought a sheet of 1/16 inch plex-a-glass, had the clerk cut it into 8x10 pieces and store it in an open bin I got from Michaels. As long as the stamps are clean they stick almost too well. I got 10 pieces from it for less than $23.00. I wish I'd cut it smaller as I sort by theme or sets, depending of the set, and 8x10 is either too big or too small for the number of stamps that go together. If they fall off, they are at the bottom of the bin. I use the Crafter's Companion sheets for my die and stamp combos in a zipper closure binder I got from OfficeMax. The dies fall off but I've learned to just accept that and thus the zipper binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I forgot to mention Crafter's companion is having a sale for the 9th bday of the UK division.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

This is how I store my stamps. I get a hanging file and cut it in half along the bottom, giving me two pieces. Then I glue acetate to each piece. I stamp my image on paper, glue the paper on, then store the stamp directly beneath it using Aileen's Tack it Over and Over if it's a rubber stamp. If it's a clear stamp it will stick on its own. Then I hang them in a 3-drawer filing cabinet which sits right beside me. The filing cabinet is sturdy plastic and was not terribly expensive. I have never stored my stamps in sets.....I store them by category, i.e., flowers, butterflies, sentiments, etc. You could, of course store them any way you choose and use file labels to identify them. I love this system.....I've use it for around 8 years. The only problem with it is a stamp will occasionally fall off.....if that happens, it lands safely in the bottom of the drawer and I just apply more Aleen's and stick it back on. I have instant access to hundreds and hundreds of stamps. Here're a couple of pictures:

Are Stamp Storage Panels Good Option for reorganizing?-p1060670.jpg

Are Stamp Storage Panels Good Option for reorganizing?-p1060673.jpg
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Ooh...more good ideas.

The plexiglass sounds interesting and if I were to go that route, I think I would cut them down a little bit further to match the the size of the Crafter Companion sizes. I actually have several large 3" D-Ring binders (new) that I picked up super cheap at the thrift store recently ($1.99 each! I think I have at least 8...definite room for growth!).

I'm hoping whatever I decide that I will storage the stamps in a drawer that now houses the SU DVD cases, so if one does fall off, it will still be contained to an extent. That's why I was hoping, given the smaller size, it would be better to stack them (on the long side) in the drawer to be able to flip through them; or at least have them in a container that I could pull out of the drawer to bring it to eye level. The drawer I'm storing the DVD cases in right now is one of the bottom (deeper) drawers.

If I can get away with storing on the side (like in a file system), then I can separate them with the Martha Stewart Mini tab dividers I got from Staples when they went on clearance ($1 a piece!); I think they'd just the right height to categorize the stamps within the drawer.

The hanging files look pretty cool, but is the acetate below the image sheet and is that what you cling your stamps to? I thought acetate isn't good for cling stamps?

So many good ideas out there...I think I'm leanin' toward the heat laminating method and may in the future, get the storage boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes