Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraps

Is there a thread anywhere about how you store/organize your scraps. I have so many I can never find anything I want and can't think of a simple solution to it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are they cardstock single color scraps or patterned paper? For cardstock, I put them in the same job ticket holder full sheets are in. So my yellow cardstock is in a job ticket holder (with the top hanging part cut off) and the yellow scraps are in the front. If the scraps are small, they're first put into an envelope so I don't have to dig down to the bottom to get them.

If it's patterned paper I could use some help myself. LOL I don't use a lot of it. Large scraps are kept with the full sheets if there are duplicates. Small ones right now are in an Art Bin box, with some small ones sorted by color in clear envelopes in that box. Not perfect. Not even totally good. : )

And welcome!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I was once given a hint for patterned paper and what color do you store it with. they said whatever dominant color you see is the color to use. hope that little tidbit helps. I bought a plastic bin cart with drawers, not the snap close cases, and I categorized my scraps as follows: solid; white; patterned; handmade/washi; glossy, mirricard and so silk; textured. I like the idea that Beth had to put the very small scraps into an envelope, so I will now put those into a clear bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella CartaView Post
I was once given a hint for patterned paper and what color do you store it with. they said whatever dominant color you see is the color to use. hope that little tidbit helps. I bought a plastic bin cart with drawers, not the snap close cases, and I categorized my scraps as follows: solid; white; patterned; handmade/washi; glossy, mirricard and so silk; textured. I like the idea that Beth had to put the very small scraps into an envelope, so I will now put those into a clear bag.
I happened to have some clear, plastic envelopes that snap closed (not sure from where), but zip lock bags, etc. would work really well too.

My problem with patterned paper is that sometimes I like both sides equally. I guess it doesn't matter that much since I don't use it that much, just bugs me a bit. : ) It's the same problem in the cart (Advantus) I keep full and partial sheets in, though if I have two of the same I sometimes put them in two different sections with a Post-It on each piece referring to the other section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I store mine in drawers with dividers. One section holds up to 6x12, one section for 6x6, and one section that is 6x6 for smaller pieces. I have a drawers by colors (black, white, purple, pink, yellow/orange, green, blue, brown). I try to only keep pieces that are no smaller than 2" but sometimes I get lazy and just toss all the scraps in the drawer. Every now and then I'll clean them out and toss the small pieces.

The dividers are foam core held in place by brass dividers.
Attached Thumbnails
Scraps-dscn1933.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

So far I have been good about scraps. Probably the only thing though LOL

I have one plastic box that is 12 1/2 x 7-8 maybe. That's it. All in there. If it is getting full I make cards that use scraps. I was color sorting them but it isnt worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

For my solid colors, my work space desk has a hanging file drawer on the bottom right. Each hanging file separated by tabs with the color name written in color on the tab. For my patterns-I tend to buy paper pads, and on the inside of the paper pad cover I took an 8 12 by 11 page protector and adhered it to the inside of the cover. That way the scraps are with the paper pad all the time...no hunting! For scraps that are too big for the page protector, I just lay them on the top of the papers that are still adhered in the pad. Being careful about laying them in, I don't end up with "dog-eared' pattern papers at all. They then go back on the shelf. Each paper pad has a label on the spine saying what it is...so when I look, I can tell immediately which pad it is. Again, no hunting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I too store my paper in hanging file folders. Scraps go in the front, full pages in the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiof8View Post
For my patterns-I tend to buy paper pads, and on the inside of the paper pad cover I took an 8 12 by 11 page protector and adhered it to the inside of the cover. That way the scraps are with the paper pad all the time...no hunting!
This is brilliant. So simple and yet I would have never thought of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilgrim957View Post
Is there a thread anywhere about how you store/organize your scraps. I have so many I can never find anything I want and can't think of a simple solution to it.
I use the ultimate solution, but it's not one many crafters follow, I put scraps in the recycling bin...I just don't reach for them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bin (just a plastic shoebox) with dividers for each color - well, some colors I double up, like yellow/orange, pink/red, tan/white, etc. It sits right next to my worktable on a lower table that is at right angles to it. I stick scraps that are big enough to be worth keeping in front of the first divider in the bin when I'm cleaning up after a work session, and sort them when I have time.

I tried filing them in their respective hanging folders, but my paper is filed in these low hanging file carts so looking involved having to actually bend down and look and I am that lazy so it never got done.

This method works really well for me. The scraps are right at hand and it's quick and easy to check to see if I have a scrap in the color I want. I do find it satisfying to use up scraps rather than cutting into full sheets.

I've also got a dividers there for watercolor paper scraps (ones big enough to be useful) and one for background "rejects" that I made and didn't use, either because I went in a different direction on a project or thought the thing was ugly at the time. The most fun is pulling one of those out and thinking "Why did I think this was ugly?" and using it for something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

What are you using for dividers, and are you stacking/tossing in scraps or filing them vertically?

My CS scraps are in job ticket holders within magazine holders with full sized paper. But all fairly small scraps being in one container rather than checking each job ticket holder is somewhat appealing. Large DSP scraps are in the hanging folders in an Advantus with the full size DSP. Smaller scraps need a better home. Watercolor and Gelli print small scraps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stuck some thin chipboard in PPs and labeled them:

Scraps-scraps.jpg

I stick the scraps behind their respective dividers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Perfect. Like an accordion file without the accordion. Or file. Being a flipper/leafer, I need to do this too. And I could keep my small, clear envelopes there too, for really small pieces that for whatever reason are special.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow....I operate on the life is just one happy accident system. All scraps of paper...pattern paper, cardstock, watercolor paper are thrown in an old picnic basket. I just dig until I find something that looks about right
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Anything less than 1/4 sheet also goes into the round file and then out to the recycle bin. I've never been able to figure out a system that makes it easy to sort through and use up scraps. Rather than frustrate myself, I just toss them - less stress for me!

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

While I'm going to set up a system like Robin's (thank you), I do have a small box on my tall trimmer table that contains pieces left over from trimming. When die cutting I rifle through the box before going to a full sheet. I do that so automatically I forgot about it.

It's just a Container Store $1.69 accessory box that's about half the size of their women's shoe box.

OT but since we're talking about organizing and paper... also on the tall trimmer table is a white, metal flower pot from Ikea. I toss skinny bits of paper in it to be thrown out. There's no room for a trash can underneath since an Advantus paper cart is there. Previously the bits piled up on the table. This is cuter than a mess.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20186101/

Last edited by bjeans; 06-30-2017 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Pasted in wrong link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I have pendaflex desktop file holders. In each pendaflex file are 3 manila files- solid, pattern, scraps. One pendaflex per color.

My SU paper is also stored in pendaflex folders but all the large scraps just go back into the folder with the full sheets.

Every 3 or 4 months I go through the scrap folders and give away or recycle scraps that now seem too small to use or I dislike the color/pattern.
Reply With Quote Likes